• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Will be interesting to see if the souls audience wants anime. I'm going to guess, no

It has a fucking twin-tails boss using a staff.
Day one purchase.

Jawmuncher

Hi, I'm souls audience. I want anime, thank you.

I know I do
I'm just worried about the actual gameplay

Considering how big the souls franchise is at this point (it's gone past just being a hardcore niche audience) I'm curious to see how this will do. Dark Souls games for example is one of the few major Japanese series that sell well on Xbox still. Even though by all counts it really shouldn't looking at the general state of things.

Endruen

Considering how big the souls franchise is at this point (it's gone past just being a hardcore niche audience) I'm curious to see how this will do. Dark Souls games for example is one of the few major Japanese series that sell well on Xbox still. Even though by all counts it really shouldn't looking at the general state of things.

It's a western RPG done by Japanese developers in the end.
I'll remain cautious about Code Vein until I see more gameplays and hear the critics, but it has my interest.

Jawmuncher

It's a western RPG done by Japanese developers in the end.
I'll remain cautious about Code Vein until I see more gameplays and hear the critics, but it has my interest.

I would say it's only a western RPG with its looks. Which I think has helped the series out a lot in terms of gaining the popularity it has. If DS1 was the same game but highly anime, I doubt it'd be in the same successful situation worldwide.

Corpekata

Banned
There's certainly a large animu fanbase in the Souls fanbase.

I do imagine leaning into anime will put the player ceiling a bit lower, even ignoring that the game isn't likely to be near as good.

NeoRaider

Just finished Little Nightmares (exactly 5h) and i loved it. Not sure why so many ppl are comparing it with Inside but i guess it's a good thing. I really liked both games, and i think that we should have more games of this kind. Amazing, little experience from start to finish. Great atmosphere, audio, story... My only complain would be not so good controls, but that's about it. I highly recommend it.

Also i was really impressed by how good it looks, it's really beautiful game with amazing lighting.

Tonton

I think it's fun in its own way, but it absolutely doesn't compare to Monster Hunter's combat and enemy/animation design. Though they've been getting noticeably better with each game so I'm quite excited for 3.
I'm a sucker for living/transforming weapons though.
I'm mostly joking as I haven't played it yet and have no idea of knowing how good Code Vein is either :p

Waiting for a deep discount

Durante

Will be interesting to see if the souls audience wants anime. I'm going to guess, no
I'm going to guess it will sell gangbusters if decent.

Absolutely not Dark Souls level (which is seriously one of the largest Japanese core gaming franchises right now, probably the largest created in the past decade), but very profitable.

Ascheroth

I do, at least :p
I would say it's only a western RPG with its looks. Which I think has helped the series out a lot in terms of gaining the popularity it has. If DS1 was the same game but highly anime, I doubt it'd be in the same successful situation worldwide.
Which is basically why it sold on Xbox, I guess. Though I assume Code Vein might have a better chance then normal anime games there as well, provided the gameplay is good and they market it as Souls-like.
I'm mostly joking as I haven't played it yet and have no idea of knowing how good Code Vein is either :p

Waiting for a deep discount
Deeper than the 15€ it was for 2 games with each over 100 hours of playtime? ;)

I realized the secret to being able to play chase games is to be high off your ass, managed to almost get to the second chapter of Outlast 2 last night woot.

Really hope Red Barrel start a new franchise next, art design and technical elements in Outlast 2 are shockingly good.

I wish the Baulder's Gate games would go back on sale.

Dinjoralo

I know I do
I'm just worried about the actual gameplay

Pretty much, yeah.
This seems in the same league as God Eater, which is like "Hey, people really like these games, let's make our own" But they just copy the surface elements, and don't really understand what makes those games so good. Like, looking at the trailer for Code Vein those swings look really weightless and non-committal.

Knurek

Humble no Bundle today, right?
Monthly on Friday, I can't remember if they had a proper bundle launch on the same week as Monthly... ever.

Arthea

Is Broken Age worth playing years later? I remember little of why I was disappointed.

I'm in the same boat, I still plan getting back to it and starting over (for achievements) and finishing it, disappointment should have diminished by now.
I still remember why I was disappointed, though

ezodagrom

According to Steamspy, God Eater duology has 130,000 owners
http://steamspy.com/dev/BANDAI+NAMCO+Studio
It is their 2nd best selling game on Steam far as Bamco Developed games go

If someone can provide #s for the games sales on PS4 and in Japan for comparison we could theorize whether those numbers are good or not.
Developer names can be rather inconsistent sometimes, there's a couple other Bamco developed games above God Eater.
http://steamspy.com/app/228400
http://steamspy.com/app/372360

ezodagrom

Heehee, well if you count published games, it ranks around the top 20-30.
Those two I linked are Bamco developed games though.
I was just saying that sometimes they use slightly different names in the developer field, so it can be inconsistent (for example, Tales of Symphonia being "BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc." instead of "BANDAI NAMCO Studio Inc.").

Knurek

Those two I linked are Bamco developed games though.
I was just saying that sometimes they use slightly different names in the developer field, so it can be inconsistent (for example, Tales of Symphonia being "BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc." instead of "BANDAI NAMCO Studio Inc.").

Symphonia was not developed by Bamco.
Namco Tales Studio (aka Wolfteam) did that game. (rip)

ezodagrom

Symphonia was not developed by Bamco.
Namco Tales Studio (aka Wolfteam) did that game. (rip)
Wasn't aware, but, it's also not the same situation as a game developed by an independent studio, I think in this case it would count as a Bamco developed game.
They developed or co-developed nearly every game in the series until Wolf Team was renamed to Namco Tales Studio in early 2003, and Namco assumed majority ownership.

The world is an uninspired "'member souls?" Top 20 and incredibly linear as well.

Just by playing through the past games you already played through Dark Souls 3 multiple times

DS3 was my first Souls game so maybe that's why I loved it while most of the Souls veterans only seemed to like it at best. I've replayed it half a dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom