• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you recently changed video cards or drivers?

Could also be that a W10 update corrupted an important driver.

A W10 update borked my laptop battery driver recently so basically my battery stopped working. Luckily I researched possible fixes before just buying a new battery.

Nah, change my GPU in April, for The Witcher 3, and it has worked fine since.

And any updates the last week have been things forced upon me, if anything.

Are having some thoughts about if it might be the power supply that's gone shitty.

Giveaways and stuff for the new page.

3rgREY3.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 32 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Asphyxia -- MB-DDB8BF59A07788A4 - Taken by Annubis. 19 entrants total.
Crowntakers -- MB-B2B15A1D5BA134EE - Taken by gurm3n. 20 entrants total.
The Marvellous Miss Take -- MB-056EAD0969056490 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 20 entrants total.
Neverending Nightmares -- MB-7B19E6580D3FDA91 - Taken by Shalashaska. 15 entrants total.
SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect -- MB-994766B46F5467EA - Taken by dot. 8 entrants total.
Tulpa -- MB-DF3AFA19935B9A7C - Taken by OmarYusaf. 5 entrants total.
Cloudbuilt -- MB-14CF5627432E0015 - Taken by Purkake4. 16 entrants total.
Kromaia -- MB-8410E4990939D3A6 - Taken by derExperte. 10 entrants total.
Vox Populi Vox Dei 2 -- MB-90B4264384D081F9 - Taken by Jalal. 8 entrants total.
Interplanetary -- MB-D40490F100DDA80D - Taken by Darth Kupi. 10 entrants total.
Strata -- MB-DF2DF28F4269E6E7 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-9B1713D505F973A0 - Taken by Sch1sm. 9 entrants total.
Tiamat X -- MB-09516A70B390F0A1 - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
FOTONICA -- MB-462CAC38D25ED6B9 - Taken by Vlad. 14 entrants total.
Among the Sleep -- MB-08CF5EB8E5FE82A8 - Taken by cardinalmind. 21 entrants total.
Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe -- MB-944C69F898B81772 - Taken by arts&crafts. 8 entrants total.
Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries -- MB-F70B99E90BDBAFB4 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 19 entrants total.
Another Perspective -- MB-2DD9F1519ECBD904 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Doodle God -- MB-70563C3004766715 - Taken by Ozium. 8 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-D8F35E6D5ACF67AD - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 5 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-8FF7DBB1A80FA566 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 6 entrants total.
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition -- MB-23FF90C1D9FF0498 - Taken by ExoSoul. 8 entrants total.
Drive to Hell -- MB-742DBA0E57772796 - Taken by Naaq. 4 entrants total.
Boot Hill Heroes -- MB-524A9A095B67F83E - Taken by bigzgod. 9 entrants total.
Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends Racing -- MB-C7F8ACD533A7BDDA - Taken by redlacs. 10 entrants total.
Noir Syndrome -- MB-A507659B8CA059EB - Taken by Costa1774. 5 entrants total.
Rats: Time is running out! -- MB-7232820F957654B7 - Taken by user237. 6 entrants total.
Lumino City -- MB-D26B84D87C0E7BCC - Taken by darkchewie. 10 entrants total.
Venetica Gold Edition -- MB-0FA39E61011C1EC6 - Taken by Corvo Jensen. 10 entrants total.
Pix the Cat -- MB-333ED2E76F2D1A0A - Taken by InfiniteNine. 14 entrants total.
Super Star Path -- MB-BC6C3D8C06A54BE2 - Taken by Kuroyume. 6 entrants total.
Fitz the Fox -- MB-49758E225BC50021 - Taken by KenOD. 3 entrants total.

t1448002698z1.png

Thank you all~

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
As for the new sales policy, I see this move as a response to several criticisms regarding what games get chosen for the limelight in dailies, flashes and vote sales. While less engaging with the user, which previously drew them back to the store day after day with promises of new price reductions, it's a step towards being less exclusionary. Developers have stated that it's completely up to chance on if you'd be featured at all, which is leaving hundreds or thousands of devs without their chance to be put in front of Steam's several million pairs of eyeballs. The old mainstay of front page 'highlights' is still in place, which could easily be replaced by Valve's suggestion engine for current users, but what about new users? Having some form of central hub is fairly important to entice potential purchasers.

This is where Gabe's vision of user-curated store pages could also come into play - instead of advertising games as highlights, they could rotate around customized store pages instead. Though, this could also be a problem if Valve's plan to let the curator take a piece of the pie as it would then only give specific users benefit. Still, the future they're building towards is one that is heavily automated. If all games sit at a flat rate price for the duration of an entire sale, there's less RNG involved, assuming the suggestion engine matures further. Once they figure out how to eliminate the need for a highlight reel in NaN-type situations (guest visits, new accounts), Valve themselves will no longer be responsible for what gets advertised to a user. The user's own taste, extrapolated from their store searches, owned games, subscribed/wishlisted items, and so on, will dictate what they see instead.

Ludens

Banned
What I want for a sale is this: put all games you want discount on sale, from the first day until the last one. No daily, no flashes, just put the game on sale for the whole sale.

Nzyme32

What I want for a sale is this: put all games you want discount on sale, from the first day until the last one. No daily, no flashes, just put the game on sale for the whole sale.

That's pretty much what everyone will be doing in this sale. The difference is that this increased length will also lead to a reduction in the discount size, since very few people will want their game to be something like 75% off for almost 2 weeks. Some folks will, but the bigger titles are unlikely to follow suit

Nzyme32

The whole point of dailies, community votes, etc, was to encourage impulse buys and repeat visits; static, sale-wide pricing doesn't do that.

If you give every potential customer hankering to buy your game a great deal with no additional visibility you're leaving money on the floor because those that have been waiting for any sale will still bite on non-impulse pricing. It's the front-page visibility that makes banner sales such big earners for devs.

Yep. Even if they have some kind of store game to hook people, it won't change the sale. Chances are I'll check for a couple of days to understand it, buy what I want and just leave it. Discounts would likely be lower with the increased duration for bigger titles at least, so that also dampens the fun.

Don't think I mentioned this back when I played it so I'll say post it now: Strider is legit fun; I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Sorta mindless, but oddly engaging all the way through.
No one is gonna buy Skyrim now that Fallout 4 is out.

Legendary enemies ain't no dragons.

The impact of the change is kinda small for me: I already own all the older games worth owning :)smugdog:) so in the past few sales the dailies and whatnot have been pretty lacklustre. I think there's other ways to improve the sales-as-an-event than just better and bigger dailies and flashies and price errors.

MUnited83

For you.
what's the deal with the steam thing then?

i think one discount for all the sale is a good idea

It's fucking terrible. Nobody will put their hot new games in deep discounts for two weeks.

Also terrible for the indie devs that used to make a break thanks to daily/flash exposure.

Deques

It's fucking terrible. Nobody will put their hot new games in deep discounts for two weeks.

Also terrible for the indie devs that used to make a break thanks to daily/flash exposure.

Nobody is actually putting their hot new games in deep discounts for two weeks at all
With 5000 games in the available there must be a better way to gain exposure during these kind of sales

Happy birthday WinterDemons

Man this kinda sucks. No way will the prices be as good as they were for daylies, at least most of them wont.
And the fact that what we see on the first day is what we'll get for the whole sale is so damn boring. No reason to come back after the sale starts.
I really don't see how this benefits anyone, people were coming back to the store every 8 hours hoping for good deals, how is this better?

Phinor

Sony's PSN Flash sales have rivaled or eclipsed Steam pricing for most of 2015, if not longer. Not always, mind you, but they've been doing a damn good job of competing lately... Why do you think we have posters like PunishedSnake lamenting that Hotline MIami 2 was cheaper on PSN than it has ever been on Steam during the Halloween sale?

Yeah, not in Europe. Europe PSN gets a ton of deals that are average at best. It doesn't help that the base price for many games is in the 70-75€ range. If you take 50% off of that, you probably won't even get to retail copy prices. 66% gets close, and 75% off is around retail level, sometimes a bit cheaper. But 75% is a rarity in PSN unless it's an old PS3 title.

Anyway, this change in Steam sales sounds absolutely terrible. If it holds true, Steam sales go from being an event in the gaming calendar to being pretty much just another sale that comes and goes. No daily news posts, no nothing. It just starts, and a bit later it ends. I'm 100% certain we aren't getting better deals overall with this change, most games will still be only 33-50% off and without a daily special deal, that's where they'll stay. Few companies might put their previous daily sale as the new sale price but I doubt many will do that. There's no anticipation, no waiting to see if that 33% turns into something better. Now you just see 33% and it's immediately a non-buy, that's the price set in stone for the sale.

I really dislike the idea that the upcoming Black Friday/Winter sales are over the day they begin. An hour into a sale I've seen everything I'm ever going to see during that sale. Not like this Valve, not like this.

MUnited83

For you.
Nobody is actually putting their hot new games in deep discounts for two weeks at all
With 5000 games in the available there must be a better way to gain exposure during these kind of sales

Happy birthday WinterDemons

1) That's exactly my point. Will before a new game could get deep discounts in a quick flash or daily, they sure as hell won't do it for 2 weeks
2) Are there?

Jalal

Welp, guess I'll move to Origin then. Peasants, direct me to the Origin thread. I want to meet my superior Origin brethrens.

Oh man, you mentioning Origin made me remember to go to origin to get free Jade empire because it wasn't letting me when it was first offered.

But its gone now. Fuck.

Dr Dogg

Work why must you taunt me so! I want to get stuck in :(

Also while LOD levels aren't that much better than Unity's the transitions aren't eye gougingly obvious. Plus HBAO+ Ultra is the stuff dreams are made off. Well if you dream about that kind of thing of course.

MaxiLive

Any one here Day 1 JC3?

Yup, only a few weeks away now :D

Hopefully my game time with Fallout 4 will have dropped off by then and JC3 replacing my "waste 2 hours achieving nothing" game. I loved the last titles and the environment for JC3 is looking a lot more interesting and with there being a lot more tools to cause chaos it is bound to be a laugh!

I hope there are a few more surprises in store for hidden vehicles/weapons etc. Seeing the F1 car and the trains in the 4k trailer was pretty great.

Dr Dogg

Giveaways and stuff for the new page.

Thank you all~

This is probably going to give someone a seizure but here we go, the many faces of Winter Demons.

QKJFuC3.gif

And yes I know it's quick and dirty but this was an impulse thing to pass the time whilst I was waiting on a slow arse FTP upload that wasn't as slow as I thought it was.

Tizoc

I finally managed to start Lost Planet 3 (if the game crashes when you select New Game, you NEED to download the HD cutscene pack, it will fix the problem. Also set compatibility to Win 7 in order to avoid other crashes). The game is boring like hell.

Also Frost alert:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59157-shipwrecked-update-november-17th-2015/

Well as I said you play it for the story etc. not for the gameplay :p The gameplay itself isn't anything mind blowing or to write home about; it merely gets the job done.

Ludens

Banned
Well as I said you play it for the story etc. not for the gameplay :p The gameplay itself isn't anything mind blowing or to write home about; it merely gets the job done.

The story is boring too. You are this dude killing monsters because he needs to get money.

Monooboe

Fallout 4 really does go in waves, from being awesome and I'm fully in it to times where I'm just bored. Now I'm fully in it again.

I will have a really hard time for GOTYs this year. While Fallout 4 is lacking so much in so many things it is also probably the only one that is the nearest of what I want games to be. While I love Witcher 3 for so many things, which is my second GOTY contender, it isn't the same "virtual world" kind of game as Fallout 4.

Also, as I a kid I used to fantasize about living in a post-apocalyptic world, I would think about which buildings I would live in, what kind of defenses, where I would grow my food... and now you can do that in Fallout 4.:D

Jalal

I finally managed to start Lost Planet 3 (if the game crashes when you select New Game, you NEED to download the HD cutscene pack, it will fix the problem. Also set compatibility to Win 7 in order to avoid other crashes). The game is boring like hell.

Also Frost alert:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59157-shipwrecked-update-november-17th-2015/

Is this another expansion for Don't starve or something completely different aka a new game.

Edit: Oh wait, it is an expansion, just read the faq at the bottom.

Guess I'll wait for inevitable Don't starve GOTY when it goes on sale.

Also Frost alert:

Was kinda looking forward to give it a shot one of these days. Never played a LP game. The game looks alright for a few hours of mindless fun. Don't discourage me.

Ludens

Banned
Was kinda looking forward to give it a shot one of these days. Never played a LP game. The game looks alright for a few hours of mindless fun. Don't discourage me.

Mindless is the right word to describe the game. If you want to try a LP, try LP1. I didn't like it too much, but hell, it's way better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom