• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now allows you to permanently remove games from your account.

Well, when I buy an apple I have the right to choose to not eat it and waste it by throwing it in the garbage instead. I guess this is the same reasoning? I just don't see why I'd ever want to do this. To each their own...

I am seriously having a hard time getting my mind around the fact that there are people who seem to be against this feature.
There were already options to handle most of the reasons for this features and initially, it wasn't clear that you could restore the purchase which appeared to offer an opportunity for assholes to screw up your account.

phaonaut

This is the new "pre-order canceled", whenever a company does something controversial I expect users posting pics of themselves deleting their titles.

Spyware

Thanks so much for this info, I wouldn't have known otherwise!

I've had ~100 games hidden since that was added but that doesn't hide them from others or remove them from the amount of "owned games" on the profile and such. I still know that they are there and it's been bothering me. I've always said I'd throw a bunch of them in the trash if I could. :)

LPride

Banned
You guys are dumb, if you remove Bad Rats from your library that just means youre open to having it gifted to you again.

I'll remove bioshock and rebuy it

Bought it when I was on an AFB in Germany. Got a German version, couldn't figure out how to get the game to play 100% in English. The would you kindly reveal would only play in German. Steam support wouldn't remove the game last time I contacted them. This sounds like a good feature.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm.. I'm... I'm not feeling right...
giphy.gif

This thread is disgusting. Worst steam feature ever IMO.

i cant wait to get rid of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. ::Takes original N64 cartridge and throws it in the trash can::

DSix

Banned
Neat.

I can finally remove stinkers such as Metal Gear Rising, Dark Souls, Vampire The Masquerade, Wolfenstein TNO and the Witcher 3.

Steel

Banned
I was hoping this was a way to hide titles to clean up, but deleting them from your purchase history? Outright bad deal.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice that this option exists, though I'll never use it myself. Having more games in my account is nothing but a good thing!

I hope the option is hidden well enough that it can't be found by chance, and going from the link in the OP it seems that's the case. I'd hate to come home drunk one night or whatever and accidentally removing something like Prey, which isn't available on the store anymore.

AnGer

All of the games I want to play are installed and those I don't want to play are neither installed nor categorized. I see no reason to delete any game from my Steam library.

Korezo

How do you hide them? I hate having games I haven't played in yeats still poping on my recently played list..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you hide them? I hate having games I haven't played in yeats still poping on my recently played list..

Right-click -> Set categories -> Hide this game in my library. To unhide a game, click the library category drop-down menu opposite the search bar/under the Library tab and you'll see "Hidden (x)".

Korezo

Right-click -> Set categories -> Hide this game in my library. To unhide a game, click the library category drop-down menu opposite the search bar/under the Library tab and you'll see "Hidden (x)".

Thanks hid all the extra games that came in bundles.

Loxley

I thought I could finally rid myself of those Battlestation games which game with a massive Eidos bundle I bought a while back, but it's telling me I will lose access to EVERY game that came with that bundle if I decide to remove them, which includes every Hitman, Tomb Raider, Thief, and Deus Ex game?

That's a fucking bummer. Oh well.

dr_rus

Removed one game out of 400. Yeah, I make mistakes sometimes.

Seriously, this is great news. Now I can easily rebuy any title if I somehow got region locked copy previously. Yay.

tim.mbp

I thought I could finally rid myself of those Battlestation games which game with a massive Eidos bundle I bought a while back, but it's telling me I will lose access to EVERY game that came with that bundle if I decide to remove them, which includes every Hitman, Tomb Raider, Thief, and Deus Ex game?

That's a fucking bummer. Oh well.

tumblr_npntnijAYS1r2aobgo7_400.gif

I don't understand why people want to permanenlty delete their games when you can just easily hide them tho.
Does it even remove your stats from said game?

Anyways, calling it right now, angry girlfriend wipes out a gaffer entire library for cheating.

ghibli99

Anyways, calling it right now, angry girlfriend wipes out a gaffer entire library for cheating.
LOL... deserved, but man, that's kinda scary when you think about what could happened with hacked accounts. I haven't looked into it at all, but I hope it's a multi-step process that you can only do one at a time, and perhaps only a limited number within a given time period.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't understand why people want to permanenlty delete their games when you can just easily hide them tho.

LOL... deserved, but man, that's kinda scary when you think about what could happened with hacked accounts. I haven't looked into it at all, but I hope it's a multi-step process that you can only do one at a time, and perhaps only a limited number within a given time period.

Oh god, is this a train-wreck waiting to happen?

Spyware

I can only speak for myself but hiding didn't do much for me. They are just hidden from the library, not from anyone else looking at my collection, not from my owned games amount and they also still show up as owned when browsing the store. Since hiding is so meaningless, I even felt worse after doing it.. The hidden "category" was just a pit of shame and I knew they were in there and... ugh.
I always sell or give away physical games I know I'll never be playing again, I don't hide them in a box in my basement. I've always wanted to be able to just trash digital games, and now I can!
I've thrown away 200 games today.

As for stats I dunno how to check exactly. My cheevo stats on my profile didn't change and I guess that's one way to see it. So it doesn't seem to remove any stats. I guess if you regret the decision and pick it back up, the play time and cheevos will "come back" with the game.

It's just a couple of button presses and no limit at all. But it's not permanent even tho it says so. You can just change your mind and pick it back up in the same support menu, at least with most games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regarding the ability to restore a licence, it seems you can only restore retail key licences, not store ones, at least as far as removed games are concerned. I can restore my key licence for The Talos Principle Demo (it was originally The Talos Prinicple Public Test and a game) but was not given the option for Estetiikka (fortunately I have a few spares in my inventory).

MiguelItUp

I feel like this is the most bizarre option you could possibly have in Steam. It makes me think it's something that functions in favor of someone that may have OCD. I have quite a few games and I love to keep my list tidy, but I just remove or uninstall games I'm not currently playing to keep it fresh. Permanently removing games just seems so weird, especially in a digital space where it can stay put without any issue.

shiyrley

Banned
I don't like how easy this is for somebody who has access to your computer to fuck you over. It should ask for your password and a Steam Guard code every single time you try to delete a game, and send a confirmation email with a warning and a limited time to reclaim the game.

finally i can remove useless crap!

farewell half life 2 : lost coast!

If you proceed, your account will no longer own the following products:
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Source
Team Fortress Classic

oh FFS

giphy.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really don't understand why you'd erase a game, even if you hate it, since it takes up no space if it isn't installed. Truly bizarre.

Top Bottom