• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now allows you to permanently remove games from your account.

kuYuri

Damn, removing games that were part of a bundle also removes the rest of the games in the bundle, lame as hell.

With that said, good riddance Dota 2.

Tainted

This only seems useful if were to get a (partial) refund for those games you removed.

Seeing as though you dont, why bother ? Just categorise them into their own little folder as others have said.

Falk

that puzzling face
On the other hand, wouldn't it be a red arrow pointing straight to the hacker if they transferred a victim's games to their own account?

In all likelihood they'd go to bot accounts that distribute this kind of stuff and it already ends up elsewhere on the grey market.

This already happens with inventory items. Games disappearing from hacked accounts would be a can of worms an order of magnitude larger.

Lotto

this is a good opportunity to make jokes about deleting bad games

why would anyone care to do this though is beyond me

header.jpg

It was my first ever Steam Christmas sale... Arkham Asylum was super cheap, but for a measly ten extra euros I could have the complete Eidos pack... Until I found this.

Time to give my "I hate these games" folder (now hidden) the NeverDead treatment. I had to throw that game to the trash since nobody ever wanted it, even as a gift.

Edit: Fuck

GVeI1A8.jpg

You can't individually remove games from publisher packs or bundles (so I'm guessing this applies to the Humbles before they started allowing to add the games separatelly. Not that useful as the crap I have usually comes from bundles, but feels good to get rid of Killer is Dead

Durante

That's a significant improvement. I'd only have needed this twice in my life, but those times I really needed it (and going through normal support takes forever).

this seems kind of dangerous. someones account is gonna get hacked and their favorite game will disappear.

It doesn't seem that it would be an issue. I know the site says "permanently delete" but this seems to be just wording and not reality. Steam still keeps a tally of what games you have/had on your account apparently.

See this post:

Looks like you can get games back if you change your mind.

QXDxuJJ.png

So in the end, this is more of a user-facing, quality-of-life convenience of not browsing through things you don't care for. I have a ton of games that came excess from bundles that I'll never touch, getting rid of a chunk of that from my library list makes things more pleasant.

Ventara

Wouldn't it be better just to hide it in a category? Even if I hate the game, I don't think deleting it permanently would benefit me in any way.

Edit: Oh wait, you can get them back?

Ok so I just looked at the games I own.. Only 85 of them, and nothing I want gone forever, though Sin Episodes - Episode 1 is kind of sticking out like a sore thumb in there. Still, it was the first non-Valve game on Steam, I think, so it's a piece of history..

this seems kind of dangerous. someones account is gonna get hacked and their favorite game will disappear.

This too. I have no idea why anyone asked for this and how Steam agreed to it. It's incredibly abusable. And if it doesn't really 'delete them', why not just make the option to hide them more intuitive instead? I guess this is just about being able to make sure they don't show up in your online profile?

I wish they would just let you change your login name instead of this.

Durante

This too. I have no idea why anyone asked for this and how Steam agreed to it.
Well, for me, as I said I needed it two times. In both of those cases I had to remove one steam sub so that I could activate another with slightly different features.

It's much better to have the feature than to not have it.

I wonder what would happen if someone got rid of a game that's been removed from Steam? Would they be able to get it back?

Delisted games can still be downloaded, so based on some experiences shown in this thread, it appears that removing said delisted game from your library should be reversible, adding the delisted game back into your library.

Still a new feature that needs to be tested, but seems like these actions aren't really permanent.

Krejlooc

Banned
Delisted games can still be downloaded, so based on some experiences shown in this thread, it appears that removing said delisted game from your library should be reversible, adding the delisted game back into your library.

Still a new feature that needs to be tested, but seems like these actions aren't really permanent.

When you "remove your game from your account," you are not deleting it from your computer. All you are doing is throwing your license away. In fact, after you do so, you have to manually remove the data from your computer.

So I would say, if you "permanently remove" a delisted game from your account, you can never get it back.

Pheace

It would have been cool if you could gift games from your library that you no longer play or want instead of just deleting them permanently.

Not going to happen, this would enable a digital second hand market where people start selling their games

When you "remove your game from your account," you are not deleting it from your computer. All you are doing is throwing your license away. In fact, after you do so, you have to manually remove the data from your computer.

So I would say, if you "permanently remove" a delisted game from your account, you can never get it back.

Alright, tested this out of pure curiosity IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE so YOU don't have to :D

*puts lab coat and goggles on*

I have a delisted game, Cart Life, which I already have a non-Steam version of the game regardless, so I went ahead and removed it from my account.

When I search the DELISTED game again to re-add it to my library, it *gasp* DOES NOT give me the option to bring it back.

However, Dust, a game I recently removed from my library that IS still listed as available through Steam, does give me a button to restore the game back to my library EVEN AFTER "PERMANENTLY" DELETING IT.

In conclusion: delisted games removed from library are likely not recoverable, but games still listed on Steam are likely recoverable even after "permanent" deletion (see post #207 for reference).

A word of caution, a game that you "pemamently" delete from your library may have only a limited window of opportunity to reclaim, in case you feel any remorse or regret about the decision. I would strongly advise against not relying on being able to use this years, or even months or weeks down the line.. Steam needs to really clarify this.

Great.

Finally got rid of the Amnesia Fortnight Bundle (seven Double Fine game prototypes), which I had added to my account for inexplicable reasons. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can get rid of Batman: Arkham City without also removing B:AC GOTY, nor remove various (long dead) multi-player components without removing the single-player as well. But other than stuff like that, I don't think I want to remove anything.

Hopefully we'll get more fine-grained control over our accounts eventually, but this is a good start.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
It's a really good feature for us region-locked folks. I bought a lot of games when I lived in Ukraine and suddenly found half of my library region-locked when I moved to Cyprus.

The game is there, but I can't play it and I can't buy it. Had to write to tech support, took couple of weeks.

I imagine it could be abused though. Like angry spouse deleting Fallout 4 :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright, tested this out of pure curiosity IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE so YOU don't have to :D

*puts lab coat and goggles on*

I have a delisted game, Cart Life, which I already have a non-Steam version of the game regardless, so I went ahead and removed it from my account.

When I search the DELISTED game again to re-add it to my library, it *gasp* DOES NOT give me the option to bring it back.

However, Dust, a game I recently removed from my library that IS still listed as available through Steam, does give me a button to restore the game back to my library EVEN AFTER "PERMANENTLY" DELETING IT.

In conclusion: delisted games removed from library are likely not recoverable, but games still listed on Steam are likely recoverable even after "permanent" deletion (see post #207 for reference).

Arkham City is a delisted game, too. The GOTY Edition is a separate game, technically.

It's a really good feature for us region-locked folks. I bought a lot of games when I lived in Ukraine and suddenly found half of my library region-locked when I moved to Cyprus.

The game is there, but I can't play it and I can't buy it. Had to write to tech support, took couple of weeks.

I imagine it could be abused though. Like angry spouse deleting Fallout 4 :)

Valve will selectively disable runtime-level restrictions if you can prove that you've moved. That functionality is, in part, what lead to this stuff-up, and the introduction of the revamped store region selection system actually removed OARIC on pre-existing licences (I can now install/play Duck Dynasty with my usual IP, for example).

Arkham City is a delisted game, too.

But Arkham City has a version of itself that is still listed on Steam, while Cart Life, the game I experimented with, is purely delisted. Either way, the experiences are there to start getting an idea of what to expect until more details are given.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Valve will selectively disable runtime-level restrictions if you can prove that you've moved. That functionality is, in part, what lead to this stuff-up, and the introduction of the revamped store region selection system actually removed OARIC on pre-existing licences (I can now install/play Duck Dynasty with my usual IP, for example).

I had all the proofs (worked for Blizzard at least), but Valve deleted my games instead of removing restrictions. With my permission of course.

It was two years ago, though.

hidys

I feel like the 'hidden' feature works well enough for my needs but this is pretty great for those who feel the need for this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But Arkham City has a version of itself that is still listed on Steam, while Cart Life, the game I experimented with, is purely delisted. Either way, the experiences are there to start getting an idea of what to expect until more details are given.

Yeah, however Arkham City and Arkham City GOTY are two completely separate games as far as Steam is concerned.

I had all the proofs (worked for Blizzard at least), but Valve deleted my games instead of removing restrictions. With my permission of course.

It was two years ago, though.

Ah. Yeah, I'm not sure how long runtime restriction removals have been a thing.

MNC

From https://help.steampowered.com, just log-in and select Games, Software, etc., select the game from the search function that shows up, and select I want to permanently remove this game from my account.

3BoOcCR.png

Pic unrelated. I'm only getting rid of Vegas Make It Big.

HolyBaikal can now finally be free of Saints Row 3.

Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on SteamSpy, and if Sony/MS follow suit here.

Remove me if old

Pic unrelated? That's an abortion joke if I ever saw one!

Top Bottom