• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now allows you to permanently remove games from your account.

Battlechili

Banned
But why? You can just hide games or put them in a "I don't like this" category. I don't really see the purpose of this.

RobNBanks

Banned
Literally throwing money away.

Why not just hide them?

Maybe in 10 years you'll get a weird urge to play those games that've been forgotten in your library.
Maybe you'll have family members or their kids use your computer, and some of those games would be good for keeping them busy.

There's a million reasons to keep something and no real reasons to just...destroy it when you already have the option of hiding it.

I must have 100+ games that came from Humble Bundles and Steam Sale Bundles and shit, but damn if I'm going to delete them so that I never even have the *option* of trying them, or showing them to someone, or just...anything.

It's like going to Costco and buying stuff in bulk and then throwing away 75%of the product because "I was never going to use that much anyway, and it's so annoying, the way it sits on the shelf where I can see it."

Well then put it in a fucking closet or drawer!

People throw away money on worse. There's people that essentially pay to be killed (smokers)

In 10 years no one is going to want to play this trash and if for some reason, they get the urge to in 10 years, it'll be like a dollar.

there's a million reasons to keep it sure, but there's only one reason you need to get rid of it. because you don't want it

PSqueak

Banned
It's like a lite visual novel with two endings and no pictures. The writing is really bad, as is the story. You play as a teenage girl's subconscious.
At the end of the game, despite agreeing to everything you say, she does the exact opposite of what you told her. Also, the pregnancy is from a rape that is the most detailed part of the "game". It's unsettling and almost reads fetishistic.

YIKES.

Guess it's not what i hoped for when i read the title...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
F2P and betas can already be removed, though? I've done that myself. And if you really fear seeing said titles despite hiding them, how about just put them in a folder?

No, until now, I have not been able to remove any game or title from my playtime profile despite deleting it from my harddrive and/or marking it "hidden."

There are some specific instances where this would be useful. I got the censored German version of Saints Row 2 from a Gamersgate sale years ago. I've since bought the GOG release but I was ticked that I couldn't get rid of it to rebuy the regular version.

Timeless

Great, a way to make Air Control and Outrun 2006 even more rare.

Also, isn't there a Steam client function to hide games? (Not just putting them in a folder)

ArjanN

I will delete nothing.

This.

There's basically zero reason to ever remove anything aside from OCD.

There are some specific instances where this would be useful. I got the censored German version of Saints Row 2 from a Gamersgate sale years ago. I've since bought the GOG release but I was ticked that I couldn't get rid of it to rebuy the regular version.

Well, I guess this is a legit reason. Removing a game just because you didn't like is still just dumb though.

Change your password after setting him up on family share. DONE. Seriously, dont give them free reign of your actual account. Just setup up the family share thing.
So I can change my password and he still has access to family share? He is a trustworthy friend, but I have yet to change my password in fear we couldn't family share after that.

Caffeine

Literally throwing money away.

Why not just hide them?

Maybe in 10 years you'll get a weird urge to play those games that've been forgotten in your library.
Maybe you'll have family members or their kids use your computer, and some of those games would be good for keeping them busy.

There's a million reasons to keep something and no real reasons to just...destroy it when you already have the option of hiding it.

I must have 100+ games that came from Humble Bundles and Steam Sale Bundles and shit, but damn if I'm going to delete them so that I never even have the *option* of trying them, or showing them to someone, or just...anything.

It's like going to Costco and buying stuff in bulk and then throwing away 75%of the product because "I was never going to use that much anyway, and it's so annoying, the way it sits on the shelf where I can see it."

Well then put it in a fucking closet or drawer!

idk a few of them were under like 10 cents worth of value from bundles, some of them were free, a few of them i hate with a passion and never want to see them again, a few of them tainted my top 10 list with over thousands of hours of play time, and some of them cause me to splurge money on the community market.

getting rid of some of those is a healthy reason which led to unhealthy gaming habits.

if i honestly had to tell u it was probably $30 down the drain that i got well worth that of playtime out of.

Can you give an example? If it's the wrong version (e.g. not meant for a specific country) I'm sure it has a notice already.

german version of sleeping dogs, you cannot use any of the patches or dlcs even though the game is nearly unplayable. Reason for this is that due to the censorship in germany the game had been adjusted especially for the german market but keeping that version up to date was not economically viable.
you got that version of the game automatically in all these bundles if were from germany and people tried to get rid of that version from the library to get the other version

So, I went to remove Company of Heroes from my list, but because it was part of a humble bundle, Steam wants to also remove other games from the bundle (Darksiders, Metro 2033 and Red Faction: Armageddon). Is there any way around that? D:

Well, at least I can remove the "Psychonauts Demo" listing when people browse my games.

For the most part this seems like it would do more harm than good though.

Does this allow you to re-buy the games? I have some Ubi stuff that got attached to an old Uplay account that I can't access anymore. This would be a solution to that.

MUnited83

For you.
Does this allow you to re-buy the games? I have some Ubi stuff that got attached to an old Uplay account that I can't access anymore. This would be a solution to that.

I believe that if you do that you will still get the old uplay key you had, so this wouldn't be a solution to that, sadly.

shaowebb

So I can change my password and he still has access to family share? He is a trustworthy friend, but I have yet to change my password in fear we couldn't family share after that.

They don't log into your account. You just tell steam that their IP is okay to share your library with. They don't use your password or ID to login to your account at all once you set them up.

• logout of steam on your computer
  • login to your account on the machine you want to share with (ie your friend's computer)
  • go to settings, family share, and click the authorize on this computer button.
  • log out of your account on their machine and have them log back in USING THEIR ACCOUNT
  • They now have in their library of games 2 folders with drop down tabs. One that says "my games" and one that says the user name of whoever they are sharing games from. In my case the other tab would say "shaowebb's games" for my friends.

Thats it. Once you got em setup, just go back to your own computer, login to your own account and click settings, and then change your password. Voila! Now their machine is setup to share your games but with no risk of them reusing your actual password to gain access to your ACTUAL user login and rights on your account. You can change your password over and over and they can still share.

jblank83

I had 300 games hidden in my library. Once in awhile I go sifting through those hidden titles to find something, sometimes something specific and sometimes just browsing for something I might want to play again. Deleting 150+ titles I will never touch again (Bad Rats, Bad Hotel, Rush Bros, Unholy Heights, Storm, Resident Evil 5) saves me time.

I've been gaming long enough to know when I'll never touch something ever again. Doesn't matter if I spent money on it. Same goes for food and clothes. Eventually they have to go.

If you want to hold onto Bad Rats forever, go ahead. I'd rather not.

From https://help.steampowered.com, just log-in and select Games, Software, etc., select the game from the search function that shows up, and select I want to permanently remove this game from my account.

3BoOcCR.png

Finally I can remove my unwanted Pregnancy!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is actually possibly great for getting rid of bundle trash.

Yeah, but if you bought the title, do you get a refund? I don't get the point of this outside of removing Bundle Fodder otherwise.

Azure Dream said:
Finally I can remove my unwanted Pregnancy!

Was waiting for this.

Can you give an example? If it's the wrong version (e.g. not meant for a specific country) I'm sure it has a notice already.

Unlike the North American version, the Southeast Asian version of Final Fantasy XIII has no English voice. There is actually no reagional-based restriction that prevent me from activating the North American version, but to do that I must delete the Southeast Asian version from my library first.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Nice, I can get rid of some press builds that will no longer download. But I might keep them around for nostalgias sake. Good to have anyway, and it'll let me cut down on my backlog by taking out crap games I got in bundles.

Top Bottom