• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Steam) Publishers to crack down on cross-region gifting/trading

Salsa

idk man, outcry for this is gonna be pretty huge and valve likes their their customers happy.I mean im in fucking uruguay, if this means I cant gift to/from gaffers then wtf.severely reduces the whole community aspect

Peff

So can someone give me an explanation why they would want to do this? Don't they get money? Or are they losing out by allowing people to gift different regions at the region's price?

The game is apparently 8€ in Russia.

scitek

There are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve restricting accounts due to VPN usage for reasons other than circumventing region-specific pricing (myself and indeed many GAFers occasionally use a VPN to unlock a game early or redeem a region-locked key). Additionally, Valve stopped outright banning accounts almost two years ago now and instead imposes restrictions, so even if you transgress in the most egregious manner, you'll still have access to your library.

So what you mean is using a VPN to buy a game through the Steam client from another region is prohibited, but not redeeming a region-locked key bought elsewhere?

Dawg

Silly publishers probably think people will buy everything full price now.

The exact opposite will happen. People will just buy less games.

feel

Whelp that sucks hard for me, some games don't show up here in South American steam store and trading with US-based friends/gaffers was the only way for me to purchase them. :/

Lime

ibykW7gb5bGobh.gif

I love Daniels so much.

idk man, outcry for this is gonna be pretty huge and valve likes their their customers happy.I mean im in fucking uruguay, if this means I cant gift to/from gaffers then wtf.severely reduces the whole community aspect

It's not community though, it's blatant abuse of the regional pricing system. Some countries have cheaper prices because gamers in those countries can't pay the normal price. Selling a cheap Russian copy to a US buyer means that you're cheating the publisher. It's just wrong and it could lead to publishers enforcing the same prices for everyone, which would seriously screw over gamers in poor countries.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what you mean is using a VPN to buy a game through the Steam client from another region is prohibited, and not redeeming a region-locked key bought elsewhere?

In theory, the answer is "no", since the SSA technically forbids using a VPN at all, but in practice it's "yes" since Valve has turned a blind eye to those using one to just play the game they've bought or redeem a key they've bought.

Enkidu

Then that's bullshit. I'm willing to pay a higher price if they want me to in order to gift shit through modbot but they still won't let me?

I never asked for this.
Well, the US is actually one of the cheaper regions, so that wouldn't really help either. I guess Valve could offer the most expensive region for everyone, so if you want a universally giftable version you would have to pay a premium (unless you live in said region).

How about they appreciate the fact that people are actually buying their fucking games? This is why AAA publishers deserve whatever they get.

scitek

It's not community though, it's blatant abuse of the regional pricing system. Some countries have cheaper prices because gamers in those countries can't pay the normal price. Selling a cheap Russian copy to a US buyer means that you're cheating the publisher. It's just wrong and it could lead to publishers enforcing the same prices for everyone, which would seriously screw over gamers in poor countries.

No it's not.

Durante

Why are companies allowed to purchase their material and labor from anywhere in the world while customers are not allowed to do the same?

Caerith

Maybe off-topic, maybe not, but if VPN is frowned upon, what about physical travel between regions? Like, say you're from Brazil and you spend half the year in, oh, Nebraska, then can you buy in whatever region you like and still have access to it in the other region?

JaseC

Wait so my amazon.com version will not work since i am in EU? Am i reading this correct?

No. ;)

Metal Gear Rising marks the debut of the new AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag:

I can see this becoming popular rather quickly.

Edit: This won't affect retail keys; it's just a measure to combat trading/gifting cheaper games via Steam itself. Also, thus far it applies only to South America and Eastern Europe.

kudoboi

This reminds me when Konami made the demo for MG Rising on the PS3 region locked for JPN PS3s only.
I'm guessing this is so that the Japanese ver., whcih I assume will be more expensive than the English ver., would get priority sales in japan?

none of konami games on steam are available in japan or for the entire asia for that matter. i have to pre order MGR via amazon praying that it won't be region locked

Grief.exe

Edit: This won't affect retail keys; it's just a measure to combat trading/gifting cheaper games via Steam itself. Also, thus far it applies only to South America and Eastern Europe.

That is not too bad then, as we still have ways to gift games to regions where a game might not even be available.

none of konami games on steam are available in japan or for the entire asia for that matter.

Case in point.

JaseC

Maybe off-topic, maybe not, but if VPN is frowned upon, what about physical travel between regions? Like, say you're from Brazil and you spend half the year in, oh, Nebraska, then can you buy in whatever region you like and still have access to it in the other region?

To purchase from the store of another region you need a recognised payment method local to said region, so if you're travelling the easiest option is to just visit http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=xx (where xx is your home country code) and continue purchasing as you typically would.

I ordered the digital version. Not retail.

"Retail keys" is just a catch-all term to refer to keys purchased outside of Steam, be they digital or physical.

Son Of D

Wait, so potentially I won't be able to gift a friend in Finland or the US a game I bought from the UK store? Or is it more of a game-by-game basis?

maneil99

As someone that sells games for cheaper using this exploit I cant really complain. Its sorta wrong morally and this was expected. They should lower prices for aussies and such tho, majority of people that buy games from me wouldnt have bought the game at all if it wasnt for the discount I/We can get.

Grief.exe

I ordered the digital version. Not retail.

I'm going to be beaten, but same thing.

As someone that sells games for cheaper using this exploit I cant really complain. Its sorta wrong and expected. They should lower prices for aussies and such tho, majority of people that buy games from wouldnt have bought the game at all if it wasnt for the discount I/We can get.

That's a government imposed tax I believe.

besada

Banned
Why are companies allowed to purchase their material and labor from anywhere in the world while customers are not allowed to do the same?

Because publishers own the copyright, which gives them explicit permission to distribute and price their work however they want.

Which includes removing their product from stores unwilling to keep street dates or pricing guidelines.

JaseC

Wait, is this a new system? My region is ex-USSR and afair I've seen this kind of restrictions before on some games.

Some games only run in certain countries and some are not giftable insofar that the "Purchase as a gift" button is disabled. This is the first time there have been regional restrictions applied to the actual gifting and trading systems.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wait, so potentially I won't be able to gift a friend in Finland or the US a game I bought from the UK store? Or is it more of a game-by-game basis?

The latter. It's a specific flag that a publisher may or may not decide to set for their games in the Steam database.

JaseC

I wonder how hard it would be to set up payment options in various regions. Probably need an address?

Due to Steam Wallet your account needs to be tied to a home country, so unless you want to jump through the proof of residency hoops with Support every now and again it's not really worth the hassle.

It seems like this is pretty clearly targeted at cracking down on shady resellers profiting off buying games for cheaper in markets with different economic circumstances. It sucks for the legitimate customers affected but as a whole I think the russian tf2 key trade is bad enough for steam and publishers to take notice.

I don't know, I haven't got a clue as to the rules and regulations of international commerce. What I do know is that a lot of people from "first-world" countries are exploiting the gifting and trading system to buy games at prices intended for poor countries.

Caerith

Due to Steam Wallet your account needs to be tied to a home country, so unless you want to jump through the proof of residency hoops with Support every now and again it's not really worth the hassle.
Well, guess all we can hope for is that nobody else uses this flag.

Freezard

I'm actually able to buy a RU copy of MGR and the gift button is not grayed out. Yes it's region locked to RU countries but that is nothing new to Steam.

JaseC

I'm actually able to buy a RU copy of MGR and the gift button is not grayed out. Yes it's region locked to RU countries but that is nothing new to Steam.

It's always been possible to circumvent the disabling of the gift function, which is part of the reason why this flag has come into play. If you try to gift the game to somebody on your Friends list who isn't in Eastern Europe, Steam will cough up an error.

Edit: Actually, people outside of the permitted countries don't show up:

JaseC: What happens if you continue and try to, say, select me from the list of people you can send it to?
JaseC: Or do I just not show up?
Jerry: cannot see you

Top Bottom