• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playground Games: "Crunch has no place in modern development"

MagnesG

Banned
Such a strong statement, I guess. The crunch definition and circumstances are broadly different though, may want to address that without the hint of virtue signalling, and as we know that without moments of passions which results to crunch time for a lot of people, no amount of big industries would even exist to this day without that, or even discoveries and wonders.

For us to come to the modern age requires countless of sacrifices from the people before, and suddenly it was all bad and grim? Keep it balanced, please.

I think crunch is fine as long as it's not forced. If individuals choose to dedicate their own time because of either passion or they want to show off to help their careers then that's their prerogative.

This is my stance in theory as well. The problem I think is that it is hard to know whether or not it is being forced. Even if crunch is "optional," it may be expected, and if some employees are willing to do that kind of work while others are not, those others will probably get the axe. They'll just find another excuse to can them.

joe_zazen

This is my stance in theory as well. The problem I think is that it is hard to know whether or not it is being forced. Even if crunch is "optional," it may be expected, and if some employees are willing to do that kind of work while others are not, those others will probably get the axe. They'll just find another excuse to can them.

So laws?

Like idk what the answer is, but it isnt something you can bumper sticker a solution to.

in tech recruiting, when looking for most productive employees, there is a type of spectrum person who is laser focused 24/7. They are very powerful team members, so do you tell them to go home? If so, they will go work for your competition or start their own company. As a shareholder, i’d be pissed.

So laws?

Like idk what the answer is, but it isnt something you can bumper sticker a solution to.

in tech recruiting, when looking for most productive employees, there is a type of spectrum person who is laser focused 24/7. They are very powerful team members, so do you tell them to go home? If so, they will go work for your competition or start their own company. As a shareholder, i’d be pissed.

A very valid point, and exactly why I can't come up with an easy solution for the whole situation.

oagboghi2

To be fair, if someone has outside of work commitments, that's on you.

I'm single with no kids and put in my normal hours. Every other mom and dad at work with kids is ALWAYS getting to work late or leaving early to do kid stuff or the babysitter is late or the million other excuses. And I'm not talking about one-off things like a doctor's appointment or a death in the family which happen rarely.

Some people are literally 365 day a year slackers who can't control their home life.

There are some people I know who have never put in a normal 8 hour day like 8-4 or 9-5. It's always something like 9:20 to 4:30..... because they have to pick up the kids or else the after school place charges them $2/minute! Lucky for them, we all work in an office so there's no punch clock thing or time tracker.

And with that, people who get to work on time always have to schedule meetings never too early or too late because they will decline as they can't get to work on time or know they have to leave early every day.
It sounds like you would prefer to work with robots

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It sounds like you would prefer to work with robots
Depends what the task is.

I'd rather have SAP and Cognos crunch the numbers than some guy with a calculator and graph paper.

People got to have responsibilities. If someone can't handle their kids on a daily basis, affecting their work, they shouldn't be parents. Especially when there's two parents and somehow they can't handle one child.

Last edited:
Top Bottom