• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

Kilau

Gold Member
A sign Sony should just end the PC port nonsense, they clearly don't get it. Refund all purchases and delete the games off the servers, revoke licenses.

shrugs-door.gif

MaKTaiL

I hope this forces Sony to finally implement country change for accounts since people without a supporting country will have to create an account in a different region until Sony decides to launch PSN in their country.

Jinzo Prime

At a glance? The Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania & Latvia) are not included on the list and they don't have PSN, the reason for that is simple. EU *WILL* have their ass if they do.
So Sony are probably speed running a registration solution and/or hope people don't notice.
Are there any other EU countries without PSN that are not on the list?
Yep. Valve lawyers probably looked into the situation and realized they could be held liable for selling a non-fuctional product and pushed for refunds. People are underestimating how aggressive the EU can be with this.

Fabieter

Also those people are forgetting a few things:

- The service was unavailable and deactivated
- You could buy and play the game just fine in countries where PSN is not present
- Official TOS on Sony website where changed after the patch, before that it was stated no PSN account was needed
- Its a dick move in itself

Comparing it to something like Sea of Thieves or COD is irrelevant in my opinion since the service asking you to log in will work on day one. You will therefore never access the game without logging in, unlike this situation with Helldivers II. Sony should have just made it optional with a small reward and called it a day, now it's blown out of proportion.

Anyway another big W for Valve.

Again be consistent if you are against double and triple login that's alright but those selective bullshit it was here day one it wasn't, come on. Be for real!

lifa-cobex

No doubt there might be a few people complaining but you're trying to suggest that the mostly negative is due to it requiring an additional account when it's not. Look at warframe

Very positive, additional account required

Look at Sea of Thieves
Very positive, additional account required.

To suggest CoDs poor reception is due to the additional account requirement is simply not true. Like I said just wait for people to forget about additional account requirements when the next CoD rolls out.
Warframe was released so long ago that it flew under the radar.

Sea of thieves is a terrible game. The only people who are leaving good reviews are dents. Everybody else just didn't give it the time of day. They knew it was dead on arrival.

Arrowhead devs are good devs. Nobody wants to see them be killed off by a publishers stupid decisions.

Pelao

I wonder what will happen with Ghost of Tsushima on PC.
Sony said that you don't need a PSN account to play the singleplayer mode, but you do need one for the multiplayer mode. Is Steam going to limit the product in those countries to just the singleplayer mode or will they just not sell it at all?

feynoob

And people were quick to celebrate Jim being replaced by this guy.

If anyone thinks Jimbo was disconnected from gamers, you haven't seen anything yet. Bean counters and statisticians give no fucks, this guy probably has done some calculation somewhere which has told him forcing PSN accounts on people makes numbers go up somewhere else.
Hire a financial guy, expect a financial decision.

DrFigs

A sign Sony should just end the PC port nonsense, they clearly don't get it. Refund all purchases and delete the games off the servers, revoke licenses.

shrugs-door.gif
i'm with you on this one brother.

Last edited:

Holammer

Apparently in Ukraine you can't play make a PSN account with out a Playstation.

yep, I know.
But they are not part of the European Single Market (yet) with the rules and protections it entails. Interestingly they're not on the list? I'm guessing they're not included on the list because it would be bad optics. While Belarus and the 'stans* are listed.

*(Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yep. Valve lawyers probably looked into the situation and realized they could be held liable for selling a non-fuctional product and pushed for refunds. People are underestimating how aggressive the EU can be with this.

Kind of doubt it was lawyers and more likely an influx of support request for refunds and Valve investigating the situation and putting a lid of potential future requests.

Three

- Official TOS on Sony website where changed after the patch, before that it was stated no PSN account was needed
No ToS was changed. That would be highly fucking illegal. You're talking about an FAQ on a site page that read "no, currently you don't need a PSN account" which they changed close to when they announced this.

Comparing it to something like Sea of Thieves or COD is irrelevant in my opinion since the service asking you to log in will work on day one. You will therefore never access the game without logging in, unlike this situation with Helldivers II.

They announce it had that requirement, had it on the store page and on boot that a PSN account was required from day 1. Had a blog post saying they added a skip so that people can play rather than servers shitting the bed because of it.

If it was legitimately people who didn't read those things then I support them getting a refund, it's an honest mistake but I think when the person who created a thread here about the requirement before release is requesting a refund now it's kind of clear it's not because they didn't know. Seems more like outrage culture stuff for the sake of it that will of course dissappear for another release that isn't PSN related.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I wonder what will happen with Ghost of Tsushima on PC.
Sony said that you don't need a PSN account to play the singleplayer mode, but you do need one for the multiplayer mode. Is Steam going to limit the product in those countries to just the singleplayer mode or will they just not sell it at all?
If Sony are upfront and say yes whilst not pulling any of the nonsense they have with Helldivers. Then Sony does what Sony does.

If Sony says no, sells games to regions that cannot access PSN and then decide to play the old switch a roo. Problems will incur.

It's going to be interesting how Sony plays the PC market. They ignored the PC economy for so long. They released a few titles that seemed to do well enough.
But they have fumbled the big success.

lifa-cobex

People were neanderthals a few years ago or now? I don't understand how this is even a legitimate reason especially when it's still one of the 'top selling' and most played games even now.
Warframe wasn't anywhere nearly as poplar as it became later in life.
It certainly isn't anywhere near a fraction as popular as Helldivers.

Also Warframe is a single entreaty. Not a publisher trying to break into the PC market.
They are vastly different things.

Z O N E

Look at Sea of Thieves
Very positive, additional account required.

People really need to stop using Microsoft games as an example...

First off, you don't play Sea of Thieves on your STEAM account, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account. The game doesn't work unless you have a Microsoft Account, so you're not getting to play the game and then suddenly being told "well we are going to require you to link your account".

Also, another thing is, Microsoft Accounts aren't just Xbox accounts. They're a complete service account. So, the majority of people have a Microsoft Account, especially if they have a Windows PC.

Fabieter

People really need to stop using Microsoft games as an example...

First off, you don't play Sea of Thieves on your STEAM account, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account. The game doesn't work unless you have a Microsoft Account, so you're not getting to play the game and then suddenly being told "well we are going to require you to link your account".

Also, another thing is, Microsoft Accounts aren't just Xbox accounts. They're a complete service account. So, the majority of people have a Microsoft Account, especially if they have a Windows PC.

The mental gymnastics are winning gold.

Topher

Gold Member
No ToS was changed. That would be highly fucking illegal. You're talking about an FAQ on a site page that read "no, currently you don't need a PSN account" which they changed close to when they announced this.

They should have changed the FAQ before the game launched to reflect the new policy regarding PSN logins. Sony's contradictory messaging on this hasn't helped them on this one bit. That's probably a big reason why Valve is granting refunds for those who have played the game many hours past the limit.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
While Belarus and the 'stans* are listed.
Dear Sony, I emailed you but you still ain’t calling. I wrote my email, phone, and my Steam ID at the bottom. I sent two emails back in autumn, you must not have got’ em.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Again be consistent if you are against double and triple login that's alright but those selective bullshit it was here day one it wasn't, come on. Be for real!
As I said you could access the game without login in and suddenly it became mandatory. Nothing more to add, I personally don't give a fuck but I understand those who are frustrated by this situation. I do think it has overblown now tho.

Oh sorry, but yeah I'm sure everyone is reading those TOS, suuure. This should have been clearly stated on the official Playstation website. It was not the case (and they fixed it after).

squarealex

Ubisoft account ?
Epic account ?
Hoyoverse account ?
Battle.net account?
Activision account? (Different from B.net account ?)
Rockstar account?
Capcom ID account?
Riot game account?
Square Enix account? (Final Fantasy XIV or XI)
Bethesda account?

but, but that's not the same... T_T

Last edited:

Fabieter

As I said you could access the game without login in and suddenly it became mandatory. Nothing more to add, I personally don't give a fuck but I understand those who are frustrated by this situation. I do think it has overblown now tho.

Oh sorry, but yeah I'm sure everyone is reading those TOS, suuure. This should have been clearly stated on the official Playstation website. It was not the case (and they fixed it after).

Yea things fucking change now more than ever. Half the gaas games I like change so much over the course that I don't like most of them anymore because they are just different to why I liked them. Is this a reason to refund games in the future. Call me the fuck in if so.

laynelane

How to ruin a good thing 101.

I don't even care about this game because it's not my thing, but everything about this since requiring a PSN account has been an absolute clown show.

It was working great before and everyone was happy, so why change it?

I will reiterate again, games on Steam should never require an additional login. They deserve all the shit getting thrown their way and long may it continue until they reverse course.

I don't think games on Steam or console should require an additional login yet many do. HD2 was particularly egregious because of the late enforcement of the requirement and the lack of support for PSN in various countries - so people reacted and did something about it. I wish it wasn't isolated to just this instance, though. It would be great to see more push back on this in the future with other titles too.

This is a shitshow. Sony has two exclusive bangers this year and, for different reasons, they have messed them up. For those mentioning Totoki, that man is no CEO, let's not pretend he is. He's a finance director who has no clue about gaming. Sony MUST appoint a real CEO right now.

MikeM

Big, fat capital "L" for Sony.

Big, fat capital "W" for Steam.

And people wonder why we stick to Steam 90% of the time. You can hate them, but they don't try to fuck you all the time.
Steam is the only PC store front that gets any money from me.
Sony: So that's how you wanna play, PC gamers?

*Cancel Bloodborne port*
Also Sony: “Good thing we hate money”

Fabieter

I don't think games on Steam or console should require an additional login yet many do. HD2 was particularly egregious because of the late enforcement of the requirement and the lack of support for PSN in various countries - so people reacted and did something about it. I wish it wasn't isolated to just this instance, though. It would be great to see more push back on this in the future with other titles too.

People will find excuses why this one was different and move on the next time.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ubisoft account ?
Epic account ?
Hoyoverse account ?
Battle.net account?
Activision account? (Different from B.net account ?)
Rockstar account?
Capcom ID account?
Riot game account?
Square Enix account? (Final Fantasy XIV or XI)
Bethesda account?

but, but that's not the same... T_T
Is it the same? Are there countries that you can't create those accounts?

Three

Warframe wasn't anywhere nearly as poplar as it became later in life.
It certainly isn't anywhere near a fraction as popular as Helldivers.
Warframe was popular when it hit steam and accounts were later too.
Also Warframe is a single entreaty. Not a publisher trying to break into the PC market.
They are vastly different things.
So your issue is the publisher account you have to sign up for? If it was some other account it would be ok?

Last edited:

drezz

See, if we got a Suit like that or something for Logging in with a PSN account, people would more then gladly do it where it was easy and fast to make an account.

But no, had to forcefully pull everyone in, and now we got such a breaker on the fun community around HD2, we might not come back from thoose posts and community interactions.

God job sony.

feynoob

For people pointing out they don't want addional login on steam its not noo.
Game has additional login when it releases, people leave it or play it.

Requiring it when it has a large audience is not OK. You are messing up with a huge community and it will always have a backlash. People hate change and Sony picked the wrong time to mess with hell divers 2 community. And the tone deaf from them didnt help at all, At least Arrowhead CEO was in agreement with them, unlike the community manager who fueled the fire.

bender

What time is it?

I wonder how many purchasers on Steam visited the Sony website before this controversy started. And Sony's page does have a weasel word in currently. The Steam product page also lists: Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account).

That's not excusing how Sony's handling of this situation as the product should have never available to territories that can't sign up for a PSN Account or they could have have fixed their ass backward account system. I'm also not a fan of implementing this requirement well after the product launched. Thankfully Steam has stepped in and have started to remedy the situation. Hopefully they've also reached out to Sony to educate them on properly releasing their titles various regions, especially if they are going to have an account requirement.

Finally, this could be a good warning sign to other indie developers. That's probably doubtful as money talks.

laynelane

People will find excuses why this one was different and move on the next time.

This one was different, though. But I agree with underlying principle of what you're saying. I'm a person who refuses to make a separate account to play a game. If it's required, I won't buy that game. Over time, more and more companies are moving towards requiring these accounts and I don't see that slowing down. It may be too hopeful, but it would be great if this caused at least some people to stop and consider this practice overall.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Game has additional login when it releases, people leave it or play it.

Requiring it when it has a large audience is not OK. You are messing up with a huge community and it will always have a backlash. People hate change and Sony picked the wrong time to mess with hell divers 2 community. And the tone deaf from them didnt help at all, At least Arrowhead CEO was in agreement with them, unlike the community manager who fueled the fire.

This was always the case. It goes back to counter strike when valve moved it to steam, suddenly people had to make an account to play a game were non was needed at the time. Go on with your selective outrage. It's late!

feynoob

This one was different, though. But I agree with underlying principle of what you're saying. I'm a person who refuses to make a separate account to play a game. If it's required, I won't buy that game. Over time, more and more companies are moving towards required these accounts and I don't see that slowing down. It may be too hopeful, but it would be great if this caused at least some people to stop and consider this practice overall.
Username?
Password?
Email?

Every freaking time with those games. I am tired at this point. I shouldnt have to make nonsense accounts and expect to remember the login and the password. I had enough of these from job application.

Top Bottom