• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Campo Santo tweeted they would DMCA a video of Firewatch in protest of PDP. Then they did. Then they regretted it.

m1L21q3.png

Meanwhile, Steam reviewers pull the same kind of trick.

oHVZf6w.png

I posted it in that other thread: if some dev had to DMCA a video of their game to try to financially hurt PDP, I think it should be the dev of PUBG. This is the game which gets streamers money these days. And this is the game which PDP was playing (and is still playing, I think).

No one would care if a tv channel would do it. People somehow seem to care because it opens the door to "abuse", but its bs, because devs/pubs already abuse the whole system.

In this case it also had a good reason.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ucchedavāda;248759429 said:
The new key-activation page is godsent for somebody who tends to postpone activating their bundle purchases:

But how long do you have to wait after you've screwed up too many activations?

The limit on this function has traditionally been 40 (valid) keys per hour although they may have recently upgraded that limit. Entering 10 incorrect keys or keys you've already registered will give you an early cooldown (meaning you have to wait an hour to attempt to register additional keys).

Xater

I only want Dead Rising and Motorsport Manager from the Humble Bunfle, but I can't get Dead Rising because I am in Germany. So that sucks.

Campo Santo tweeted they would DMCA a video of Firewatch in protest of PDP. Then they did. Then they regretted it.

m1L21q3.png

I missed this little bit of bullshit. "If I had a way to contact him"... Really? How did you deliver your CD key to him when you wanted the coverage? How about you contact him by email? Or even Twitter works. I'm sure they could have found him on Twitter and he would have complied with their demand. But nope, they had to abuse YouTube's broken DMCA enforcement system to send a message. It doesn't matter to PDP because YouTube will manually look at everything that happens to his account but when someone else pulls this stunt with YouTube channel EddyB14582 then you can be sure no one will be looking when it gets shut down automatically.

The limit on this function has traditionally been 40 (valid) keys per hour although they may have recently upgraded that limit. Entering 10 incorrect keys or keys you've already registered will give you an early cooldown (meaning you have to wait an hour to attempt to register additional keys).

Thanks!
It does seem that they've upgraded the limit, since I was able to successfully activate 47 keys before being stopped. But that also included a couple of games I already had in my library and a couple of times where I accidentally pasted the wrong thing. So perhaps the limit is now 50 keys per hour including either bad or duplicate keys.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Citizens of Earth -- MB-2FFCCC21A61D03CF - Taken by Hero Prinny. 6 entrants total.
Sonic Generations Collection -- MB-2C76F920E018FBC5 - Taken by oni-link. 9 entrants total.
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure -- MB-F18CA66875245113 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-FEEAEE35812B79E2 - Taken by Cels. 4 entrants total.

t1505264010z1.png

Is it just me, or are all of the serious Lovecraftian games either first-person games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Call of Cthulhu or hard-to-penetrate RPGs like Darkest Dungeon or Sunless Sea? I've been reading Lovecraft's works and I have a hankering for something in that vein but easy to get into and not too visceral.

Uzzy

So I just finished my first playthrough of Tokyo Dark, and I'm left feeling somewhat disappointed. Not by what I got, which was a perfectly serviceable visual novel/point and click adventure game, but that it could have been so much more.

Wlrlx9P.png

Punk's not dead, but she could be.

You play as Detective Ayami Ito, one of Tokyo PD's finest, investigating the disappearance of her partner. It's a classic detective story set up, and inevitably it spirals out of control and starts to claw at Ito's sanity as she comes to grips with the darkness under the surface and uncovers the mystery at the heart of it all.

Also, you spend ages in cat cafes and eat pancakes. This is my first major disappointment with the game, it's tone. It's promising a psychological horror, but instead it's full of light fluffy maid cafes and cats and sweetness in the first half of the game (past the first section at least), only to delve into it's darker, more interesting story in the second half. It's a weird tonal shift, and it's not entirely what I expected. That, and it's just not that dark in places. It hints at a darker storyline, but never really delivers.

The second major disappointment has to do with the SPIN (Sanity, Professionalism, Investigation, Neurosis) system element. Essentially, all your actions and interactions can have an effect on each one of those meters, and you're told to watch your sanity in particular, or you might suffer a psychotic breakdown, and given medication to avoid such a fate. But the less sane you get, the more your investigation skill increases, as you're able to see the world for what it truly is. Professionalism relates to how you present yourself and how you act (you are a cop after all), while your Neurosis increases if you talk to people you've already talked to, or pace up and down.

Which is very cool in theory, but in practice.. it's not really developed properly. You don't get many opportunities to actually go home and relax and take your meds, for instance, as you're often locked into certain areas and plot threads. I think I managed to go back to Ito's apartment twice during the game, iirc. The impact of those meters is also rather minor and seems to pop up at random times during the story. I'd have much prefered great impact, with a seriously insane Ayami having trouble interacting with people, but seeing things that give her amazing leaps in her investigation, while a more professional, coherent Ito would have to put in the hard work investigating and chasing up leads and talking to suspects, hanging on every word incase you miss an important clue. Turn it up to 11, go crazy with it.

PZgmQSc.png

You'll spend a lot of time standing and talking.

It's certainly worth a playthrough. What's there is fairly engaging, Detective Ito is a decent character, and there's a total of 11 endings you can search for. But it could and should have been so much more. There's hints of a much better game throughout this, and hopefully the devs can build on this and improve for the next game.

Tizoc

Is it just me, or are all of the serious Lovecraftian games either first-person games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Call of Cthulhu or hard-to-penetrate RPGs like Darkest Dungeon or Sunless Sea? I've been reading Lovecraft's works and I have a hankering for something in that vein but easy to get into and not too visceral.
Would the pnc games that are on gog and steam be up your alley?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Renegade Ops Collection -- MB-5BDF0A712567B9DE - Taken by eyeless
Resident Evil 4 -- MB-A747032E976C73D9 - Taken by Dec
Sonic Generations Collection -- MB-E870FE83E0310ED8 - Taken by Smeagol
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-82CA90E9B87339F6 - Taken by voodooray

NISA having a Ys VIII release stream. They mentioned that later today there will be a info on the PC delay for Ys VIII but don't expect a release date since they don't have one.

Uzzy

Have you heard of gaming sides lord and saviour Bloodborne?

I'm not really sure what you're after tbh. Lovecraft is by its very nature not easy to get into, its themes are meant to be overwhelming and serious.

Would the pnc games that are on gog and steam be up your alley?

Seems like some of the older ones like Shadow of the Comet have a bit of a learning curve, being non-LucasArts 90s pncs, but they seem like a good place to start.

Probably oughta give Fallen London a look, too, even if it is a browser game. I love Sunless Sea's writing, enough so that I backed Sunless Skies, but I hate its gameplay.

Have you heard of gaming sides lord and saviour Bloodborne?

I'm not really sure what you're after tbh. Lovecraft is by its very nature not easy to get into, its themes are meant to be overwhelming and serious.

When I say easy to get into, I mean mechanically speaking.

Sounds like you're looking for...

Sakura Lovecraft.

Ladekabel

That Tooth & Tail looks amazing. It's an RTS though. Which kills it for me. :/

But you know what someone should make? A Final Fantasy Tactics game with the look of Redwall.

I just found out the Sakura games don't even have nudity. That ain't even softcore.

How can anyone get off on this shit?

im pretty sure thats just cause valve requires them to censor it. I'm willing to bet money that if you buy it from the devs themselves you get the real game with all the nudity. hell, im sure someone figured out a way to patch it in.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I see Machinarium got cards and a patch to work with modern controllers. I'm glad to see old titles still get support like this and Star Wars Empire At War and all the other recent ones.

Endruen

im pretty sure thats just cause valve requires them to censor it. I'm willing to bet money that if you buy it from the devs themselves you get the real game with all the nudity. hell, im sure someone figured out a way to patch it in.

Only Sakura Swim Club AFAIK. The rest are just softcore that leads to nothing.

Nzyme32

Once again signaling that Steam User Reviews were a mistake and a large portion of the Gaming Community are rabble-rousing man-children.

Nah, I'd disagree with the review system being a mistake, but totally agree with that portion of complete poop of a community. Any system this open can be abused, and typically the internet and gaming culture are a fine mess to inspire this kind of brigading (as opposed to some more legitimate reasoning such as a game genuinely doing something the negatively impacts the game itself and people reacting accordingly)

The best solutions for this kind of review system are simply moving beyond the score average and demonstrating when brigading is occurring. The extra stats in the histograms that are coming to give a better idea of rapid review changes, perhaps some measure of standard deviation etc, all become massively useful.

Steam reviews are still pretty damn useful, but sadly you also need to have an eye on the context at any given time, and then there are specific niches where players are behave vice versa just out of happiness to have the game they wanted throwing away all criticism or due to memes - all expected of such a system

zkylon

zkylewd
You probably got it for free from helping it get through Greenlight
nope, i remember that but i don't think that's cool so nope

It was either free or like 1$ somewhere iirc. I bought it too, even though I couldn't get into it on the PSP either. Someday I'll finish it though, just to complete my Falcom collection.
nope, i bought it for like $7 or something

idk why ppl think i got it for free, i said i remember buying it...

You bought it cuz it has a cute girl as the protag, dont worry we find her totes adorb too
It is an action adventure rpg game.
i think i liked how it looked, yeah

kind of reminds me of megaman legends

A cute little action adventure RPG. Not amazing, but I had a lot fun with it, I even beat the secret boss! (thing was hardcore).
that's cool, i like cute, i like action, i like adventure and i definitely like rpg

It`s an action game by Falcom, it`s not one of their best though, controls aren`t very great, but I think it`s worth a play
A bit of a different soundtrack I love too
https://youtu.be/OGmoyZNfnlQ
falcom are the ys people?

eh, passssss

Gurumin has utterly painful "cute" kiddy-anime voice acting and unskippable cutscenes, at least on PC. It's the first game where bad VA actually drove me to quit playing, though the 30fps cap doesn't help.

Virginia is very, very good, by the way. Just don't ask me to explain what the hell happens in the final act.

zkylon

zkylewd
You disappoint me greatly
i played one of the yses

gave it a few hours, thought it was pretty tedious to play and i thought the universe/setting/characters were all really lame

i may not be the biggest fan of tits but at least that game has more personality

nothing against those games, but to me they're zzzzz

A friend of a friend's Kickstarter launched today. Village Monsters' Kickstarter $12 for the game.
It's a Mother, Animal Crossing, and Undertale-like. The concept that it is a game that wasn't ever shipped so no hero came through leaving the monsters to move on with their lives. It's a one-man dev team and he's been putting out Alphas every full moon.

-kwhxzpmj.gif

-7wime9ip.gif

DYpuadz.gif

Just lost my Dead by Daylight save data during the Steam maintenance routine. It's apparently not a uncommon event either. Other people were affected. Had to send an email to the developers and ask to help me recover it. Let's see how long it takes them to respond.

m1L21q3.png

Meanwhile, Steam reviewers pull the same kind of trick.

oHVZf6w.png

I posted it in that other thread: if some dev had to DMCA a video of their game to try to financially hurt PDP, I think it should be the dev of PUBG. This is the game which gets streamers money these days. And this is the game which PDP was playing (and is still playing, I think).

PUBG and PLAYERUNKNOWN aren't gonna do anything to PDP. If they did, they would've done so already. It's going to be swept under the rug just like everyone does when PDP's antics go too far. It's why I can't blame Campo Santo from going through with this DMCA takedown even with folks giving a stink eye to them because it seems PDP's actions never leads to any consequence. At least they regret it, however I just find it funny that people who side with PDP whether his fans or fellow streamers think this is the start of Campo Santo being "horrible": first PDP, then everyone who does a Let's Play of their game.

Don't be fucking ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom