• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

Qwell

Because of people like you chose to play it that way and it takes no real effort to code in most of time? I'm kinda failing to see your logic here. Keyboard and mouse is the objectively better method of playing the game. Just because they give you the option to play the game that way doesn't make it superior, lol.
Ok If I'm playing games on a big screen TV with 5.1 surround sound in a recliner, is KB+Mouse still the "objectively" better method of playing the game? Because I don't really feel like having a keyboard laying in my lap with a mouse on my jeans while reclined in my chair.

GFWL is almost dead now right? I hope they don't do something stupid and charge like £10 for Minerva's Den.

I imagine they are going to try, if anything. I hope they make the deadline because I'll buy like 20 copies of Minerva's Den to gift around if it does :D

Game needs more love.

lol where do I sign up?

Grief.exe

It'd be nice if they removed everything else when they're Steamworks titles to begin with. You can't launch most Steam games without the client and can only run the client on one computer at a time, so I'm not sure what the point of additional DRM is on Steam.

They aren't actually.

Steamworks implies that digital and retail copies activate on Steam
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/index.php

It gets confusing when publishers give out Steam keys to places like GMG and Amazon.

They aren't? I could've sworn they were, I've only seen Steam keys being sold for them.

No, Steamworks means the game has to be activated on Steam no matter where you buy it. There were disc and other DD versions of these games that did not use Steam. I bought AC on Gamefly and BS2 on disc.

pa22word

Ok If I'm playing games on a big screen TV with 5.1 surround sound in a recliner, is KB+Mouse still the "objectively" better method of playing the game?

Yes. It will still give you vastly better precision and access to exponentially more inputs.

don't really feel like

What you subjectively like doesn't really matter in a discussion where we are discussing something that isn't subjective. A mouse will 100% of the time offer better precision over a pad. A keyboard will 100% of the time offer more inputs than a controller. Analog movement is irrelevant in a shooter as movement is binary anyways.

I'm still annoyed that they took down the individual DLC for Batman: Arkham City.

So now I have two different version of the same game in my Steam Folder (Regular+GOTY). It was only like $5 so it was worth it to me to get all the rest of the DLC, but it's annoying to have all my achievements and Hours Played split between two entries.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah, I know Steamworks means the game will activate no matter where you buy it. I just thought these Batman games were included.

Grief.exe

I'm still annoyed that they took down the individual DLC for Batman: Arkham City.

So now I have two different version of the same game in my Steam Folder (Regular+GOTY). It was only like $5 so it was worth it to me to get all the rest of the DLC, but it's annoying to have all my achievements and Hours Played split between two entries.

I wonder if that had something to do with GFWL.

Usually DLC is only available through their store.

I wonder if that had something to do with GFWL.

Usually DLC is only available through their store.

You could be right, I had forgotten about that.

But I seem to remember that Steam used to have the Harley Quinn DLC and I'm pretty sure they had at least some of the combat/character packs too at some point.

Grief.exe

But I seem to remember that Steam used to have the Harley Quinn DLC and I'm pretty sure they had at least some of the combat/character packs too at some point.

I think they did too, which is rare for GFWL games.

They usually make a GOTY edition to include DLC.

pa22word

I think they did too, which is rare for GFWL games.

They usually make a GOTY edition to include DLC.

It stopped being rare back a few years ago when Valve implemented that new DLC policy a few years ago that EA used as an excuse to stop putting their games on the service. After like, 2011 every game on steam has to have all the dlc also made available through the steam store itself.

Ifrit

I hope it's true. The only thing I'll miss is getting gamerscore, but it's not really that big of a deal. I prefer platforms that actually work. It took me like 2 to just try to get it to connect and download my profile so I could play Dark Souls

Grief.exe

I hope it's true. The only thing I'll miss is getting gamerscore, but it's not really that big of a deal. I prefer platforms that actually work. It took me like 2 to just try to get it to connect and download my profile so I could play Dark Souls

You will probably still be able to earn gamerscore through the retail or other digital versions.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, I just installed this on my new computer and it installed some SecuROM check, but no GFWL.
I've been playing it wihtout GFWL.
Am I the only one? :p

pa22word

So, I just installed this on my new computer and it installed some SecuROM check, but no GFWL.
I've been playing it wihtout GFWL.
Am I the only one? :p

I just verified the integrity of the game's cache and GFWL is still there. As soon as I launched the game immediately started installing the Minerva's Den patch, which is par for the course as the Steam version is out of date and has been for over a year now.

Go to your game's main directory and see if there's not a file titled "xlive.dll". If it's there then there's still GFWL integrated into the game.

The changes will be applied only for the GotY edition of Arkham City?

I have the non GotY edition that stopped being sold on Steam when the GotY edition came :(

Grief.exe

The changes will be applied only for the GotY edition of Arkham City?

I have the non GotY edition that stopped being sold on Steam when the GotY edition came :(

Both will probably be patched.

I'd imagine they will release the DLC for sale once again since it won't be tied to GFWL.

Ok If I'm playing games on a big screen TV with 5.1 surround sound in a recliner, is KB+Mouse still the "objectively" better method of playing the game? Because I don't really feel like having a keyboard laying in my lap with a mouse on my jeans while reclined in my chair.

Is it just me finding it weird someone with a Quake avatar is arguing against kb+m?

Yup.

batman_ac_zpsc71fbe35.gif

Eusis

What is problem with GFLW ? Securom is good protection but not necessary for steam games.
Corrupt saves, a nuisance if not impossible to transfer saves over from one OS installation/computer to another, login issues, doesn't even do a good job at cheat prevention. Basically it's just a pain that at most gives you achievements, and at too high a cost to be palatable to most of us.

Corrupt saves, a nuisance if not impossible to transfer saves over from one OS installation/computer to another, login issues, doesn't even do a good job at cheat prevention. Basically it's just a pain that at most gives you achievements, and at too high a cost to be palatable to most of us.

Also, It's not available in every country.

Grief.exe

Minerva's Den was added to the registry.

http://steamdb.info/sub/29192/#section_info

Good catch.

That pretty much confirms that they are going to charge for the DLC.
I've never bought it from the GFWL store so its not a loss for me.

I wont be able to monitor the registry as closely since I'm out of town at a wedding.

I hope we get a Steam key for this through GFWL, because I just recently bought this to play after Infinite. Couldn't play though, because the sound is utterly broken for the latest(released) patch for the DLC. Would hate to pay twice for the same content just for a working version.

Highly, highly doubtful.

I really want to play Bioshock 2 PC but GFWL doesn't let me play the game. I hope this comes through. Bioshock 1 on Steam is easy and good to go the moment you install it (aside from a ton of sound issues).

Is the PC port of Arkham City any good these days? There were performance issues around launch.

The performance issue were mostly with the poor DX11 implementation, right? If you played in DX9 mode, it performed quite well outside of occasional hitches when traversing the city quickly.

Dipswitch

Does anyone know if the saves files from the GFWL version can be used with the Steam version? I'm one of the few people that is not of the opinion that GFWL gives you cancer and have had zero problems with save games for any GFWL game. However, I can't seem to find the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC for the GFWL version at a reasonable price. So buying the Steam version of the GOTY edition seems to be the path of least resistance.

That's assuming I could re-use my save games. If not, I'll hold off. Don't have time to replay through the whole bloody game again.

Let me take this thread to say that it's annoying that the Mac versions of both Batman and Bioshock games are exclusive to the Mac App store.

They should remove that rubbish on all steam games.
I can't play Dirt 2 because of some rubbish seculauncher error. I was only 50% complete before the error starting popping up.

WillyFive

The performance issue were mostly with the poor DX11 implementation, right? If you played in DX9 mode, it performed quite well outside of occasional hitches when traversing the city quickly.

Yeah, it works great with DX9, however DX11 is still poorly optimized. Hopefully Arkham Origins has it all worked out.

Top Bottom