• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

Grief.exe

And mintues later, Arkham Asylum GOTY registry entry just updated with the exact same build.

Same ID#, same description, everything.

Isaccard

Considering this could be a possibility, I randomly had a thought earlier that I was just going to cave and finally pick up Dark Souls in spite of GFWL

no idea why

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Souls did get one update, significant enough to break Dsfix for s little while.

It hasn't been updated since and will probably never be updated again.

Relic should remove GFWL from DoW 2.

Would be nice, and Relic have essentially already done something like this for Company of Heroes (from the Quazal system to steamworks, which they also did lots of other improvements, like a smaller install for all expansions, removes the annoying CD check if offline, everything just feels much better in the steamworks version).

S0N0S

Dark Souls has essentially never been updated.

Technically they did one, albeit minor, update to fix stereo sound mixing issues and apparently improve CPU perf. Not sure the exact details beyond that, but there ya go.

Back on topic, this is all very interesting and I'm curious what MS's role is in all of this. Just a theory, but if they were somehow contractually obligated to maintain GFWL for some of these games, that may explain these updates and who's paying for it. Why else would 2K go through all the trouble to update Bioshock 2 now when they've had lackluster DLC support on PC and other linger bugs? And I doubt Batman:AC or Dark Souls would go with GFWL if they knew MS would kill it so soon after release.

If indeed MS is sunsetting GFWL earlier than expected, that would leave Dark Souls in an awkward position having come out just last year. Perhaps From will perform similar updates for Dark Souls once they develop whatever solution will take GFWL's place in Dark Souls 2? Considering the presence of the Steam logo on darksouls2.com, I would guess Steamworks.

Im not certain, but didn't From make it so retail CD keys could be registered on Steam ? Could it be they have it planned to swap to Steamworks at some point ?

Like an ancient neogaf theorist, believes ....

Sentenza

Im not certain, but didn't From make it so retail CD keys could be registered on Steam ? Could it be they have it planned to swap to Steamworks at some point ?
I doubt it.
On the other hand, they are already using Steamworks for the sequel, so is not completely out of the question (even if not particularly likely) to see them patching it retroactively on the first as well.

Grief.exe

I generally don't see any registry updated over weekends, understandably so.

As much as we want to see Steam achievements and DRM removal, these people have lives too.

jbmkDcIbHiewBz.jpg

While going through my list of games, I notice the Steam achievements for Batman AC are unlock now on my profile. It was grayed out before(Last week, was going to boot the game, but got distracted). I haven't played the game since I got it during the Winter Sale(And I'm playing AA first)If this was already mentioned, my bad. Or, was it always like this, and I'm bugging out?

morningbus

jbmkDcIbHiewBz.jpg

While going through my list of games, I notice the Steam achievements for Batman AC are unlock now on my profile. It was grayed out before(Last week, was going to boot the game, but got distracted). I haven't played the game since I got it during the Winter Sale(And I'm playing AA first)If this was already mentioned, my bad. Or, was it always like this, and I'm bugging out?

Yeah, Arkham City's achievements have been there from the start.

Grief.exe

jbmkDcIbHiewBz.jpg

Did a double take on this, but Morningbus is correct, AC achievements have been available from the start for the Steam version.

Batman AA getting achievements means I need to play the game again. People can't think I haven't finished it.

They are not unlocked just quite yet, so save your play through for a little while longer.

oipic

They are not unlocked just quite yet, so save your play through for a little while longer.

From a backlog management perspective, I'm hopeful they take their time unlocking them... not sure where I'll fit in a replay of AA, but I've held off on starting AC until such time as I gone through AA again to get the achievements first (as silly as that may be).

Having said that, I'm still watching this thread like a hawk, though. Keep on snooping, Grief.

dEvAnGeL

ive started playing AC a while back because i ended up buying the game when green man gaming tweeted the game was not gonna use GFWL and to my disappointment it did, is just a fucking disaster man, game is so fun but having to sign in on that service just to play it totally kills the experience so thanks to that i haven't finish the game

Zushin

Look's like AA was updated again on Steamdb yesterday. Hopefully if they are gonna pull the trigger on this they do it soon. I wanna play! :(

pa22word

Finding all of those collectibles for the fourth time.

That's going to be a tough one to motivate yourself.

It's worth it for the hilarious bit between Batman and Riddler once you do it, though.

Look's like AA was updated again on Steamdb yesterday. Hopefully if they are gonna pull the trigger on this they do it soon. I wanna play! :(

Yeah I've been putting off a rerun of both Batman AA and Bio2+MD for this. Wish they'd hurry up >.>

Redrum_82

Are the updates for AA only involving the GOTY edition?

I have the standard one (not available on the store anymore) and it doesn't seem to have achievements, not even blocked ones.

Grief.exe

Are the updates for AA only involving the GOTY edition?

I have the standard one (not available on the store anymore) and it doesn't seem to have achievements, not even blocked ones.

There haven't been any updates to the app and no test beta builds, but I have a hard time believing they would leave customers out to dry.

Once they get everything working, it should be easy to apply the updates to the regular version.

Grief.exe

Could be a good week, Bioshock 2 Beta Build just updated.

Not many updates for both Batman and Bioshock last week, I really get the feeling that the same company is working on both ports.
The frequency of updates just seems to line up perfectly.

Grief.exe

Big update today for Batman: AC GOTY

They added in a mac beta portion for testing as well. The Mac version of Arkham City already exists, and is available right now on the Mac App Store.

This version looks to be added on for Steamplay functionality.

And, of course, the Mac version is free of GFWL.

Grief.exe

Putting aside any wishful thinking, let's say this has nothing to do with removing GFWL; what else do you think they could be working to?

I've been thinking about other things they could be doing, and it just doesn't add up.

They've been consistently working on both of these games for months. Combine that with the lack of ulterior evidence of GFWL in the OP, and there really can be no other explanation.

I can't think of anything else they could possibly doing, the Mac versions for both Arkham games already exist.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they also remove GFWL from Dark Souls soon

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a lot less likely, considering the dev.

In other not likely things, has there been any update on the Steam listings for Halo PC?

maybe MS shuts down the service, so GFWL get rid of all games :)

Grief.exe

Probably a lot less likely, considering the dev.

In other not likely things, has there been any update on the Steam listings for Halo PC?

Microsoft deleted the APP.

Valve has gotten much more careful about games on the registry, they have really locked it down comparatively to a few months ago.

morningbus

ok. i can see there is an achievements
64 of them
but..when i try to run the game, GFW message pop in

I'll lay it out with minimal glib and we can proceed from here:

1) No games discussed in this thread have been updated for Steam users yet. We are just discussing recent activity in the Steam registry, basically the behind-the-scene infrastructure that supports the Steam store.

2) Arkham City has always had both GFWL and Steam achievements on Steam.

3) Everything in this thread is speculation with absolutely nothing hard or definitive about it yet. We are currently speculating that Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Bioshock 2 will be updated to remove GFWL and swap in Steamworks.

Grief.exe

Perfect synopsis by Morningbus, only thing I would add is I am hopeful that Securom gets removed as well.

No evidence to that though.

Top Bottom