• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

Elija2

Bundles bundles bundles. Seriously, the answer to almost every anomalous sales number in this thread is bundles. The impact bundles have had on the Steam market cannot be understated. Even small bundles sell 5-10k copies, and larger humble bundles sell in the hundreds of thousands. And many games have been bundled multiple times.

I'm pretty sure Worms Armageddon has been bundled more times than any other Worms game. It's been in 2 Humble Bundles at the lowest tier, whereas the other Worms games are usually in the higher tiers.

Wow.

You actually have to go out of your way to sell that few copies on Steam apparently.

If I remember correctly, that was one of Tecmo's first titles on Steam. I was worried that they would release Yaiba, then never touch PC again due to low sales numbers.
Jeez, that game was totally DOA. Then again, that game was reviewed/streamed/critiqued terribly everywhere, so it's not too surprising.

Pachael

Great site, and I do like it's updated daily.

With some of the commentary in the thread vis a vis bundles I've thought it might be great (next time) to cross reference bundle and sale information in IsThereAnyDeal.com to track how game sales respond to bundles, summer/winter/halloween sales and so on, creating a reasonable approximation to total revenue over time. (Profits are another matter as there will be retail units included as well). This wouldn't really work for episodic games, but some approximation can be achieved.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahahahahahaha

I'm so glad this piece of shit can't even sell 10k. This fuckin company thinks they can release their worst games on PC and people will be happy with it :lol fuck off

DOA5's done more than it in a week. So it seems people don't want Kenji Inafune.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Grey Goo: 49,457 ± 12,107

Wow. That's doubly sad when you look at:

Planetary Annihilation: 714,041 ± 45,938

Just goes to show that the steam community doesn't give any fucks for quality, only that something is cheap.

Almighty

Just goes to show that the steam community doesn't give any fucks for quality, only that something is cheap.

I guess it's official the RTS genre looks like it is dead.

KS gives a lot more visibility, plus PA had big names attached/the nostalgia factor due to its Total Annihilation connection. Grey Goo only had awesome presentation and good ideas, backed by goo-d, traditional design.

Given that the PA studio's second Kickstarted flopped, I don't think they've harboured a very... dedicated fanbase with their handling of PA.

Denton

That's really sweeping and stupid conclusion tbh.
Grey Goo has freaking terrible name that makes most people not even consider it, and I don't remember seeing any marketing for it either. But seriously the name... It sounds like some 2d indie game.

Planetary Annihilation has cool name and shitload of hype from its kickstarter and gameplay videos.

Almighty

Well 1.6 million for Crusader Kings 2 makes me happy and wow 2.6 million for the new XCOM game is fan-fucking-tastic. I am a little sad to see Xenonauts at 86,550 ± 16,015. I think that game deserves better. Age of Decadence is also a little surprising at 8,500 ± 5,020 then again I believe the guy said that it isn't very accurate for low selling titles. I guess while I am at it the other early access RPG I have my eye on Underrail is setting at 21,638 ± 8,009.

Sinatar

Well 1.6 million for Crusader Kings 2 makes me happy and wow 2.6 million for the new XCOM game is fan-fucking-tastic. I am a little sad to see Xenonauts at 86,550 ± 16,015. I think that game deserves better. Age of Decadence is also a little surprising at 8,500 ± 5,020 then again I believe the guy said that it isn't very accurate for low selling titles. I guess while I am at it the other early access RPG I have my eye on Underrail is setting at 21,638 ± 8,009.

Here's hoping that coming out of early access will bump Underrail and AoD, but I don't have my hopes up.

Lords of Xulima: 18,547 ± 7,415

CK2 is also currently on sale, well at least for around another eight or so hours from GreenManGaming so I imagine that'll give it some more sales. I got the Collection for $12.49 with the sale and a code for 22% off on top of it.

Almighty

CK2 is also currently on sale, well at least for around another eight or so hours from GreenManGaming so I imagine that'll give it some more sales. I got the Collection for $12.49 with the sale and a code for 22% off on top of it.

CK2 is one of those games where if you missed a sale all you have to do is wait a month and there will be another one. I wonder what the average selling price for that game is now?

Here's hoping that coming out of early access will bump Underrail and AoD, but I don't have my hopes up.

Lords of Xulima: 18,547 ± 7,415

If either of them can get on the front page around release i think it will, but I don't know the chances of that. Hopefully word of mouth will keep those games selling for a long time.

Also you reminded my I need to grab Xulima so +1 sale for that.

Almighty

CK2 has had one or two free weekends, IIRC. That's probably messing with the numbers a bit.

Yeah you are probably right. The last official numbers I can find from Paradox was 1.1 million in February. So it is pretty unlikely it sold another 500,000 unit in two months. Stupid free weekends ruining my fun.

Sinatar

Singularity: 82,687 ± 15,654

14367120259_30717204e8_o.gif

Well I guess we know why Raven are delegated to COD map packs... thanks gamers.

Got a first request to remove the game from Steam Spy. The game is Caster.

Not sure what to do.

Is it from the developer or the publisher? If it's the publisher, fuck em.

Not sure what to do.

That's a weird choice. Caster's such an ancient, inexpensive game. I sorta assumed the devs went away or something long ago.

Makes me wonder if it got new owners or something, because it recently got a completely random update for Steam cards and such.

Almighty

Not sure what to do.

Since you are just using publicly available data I would ignore it personally, but I am just some guy on a forum. I also believe the gaming industry is too secretive so I love stuff like this that smashes it open. So I am also a little biased as well.

Eila

planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ 13,910 ± 6,421
Loved this VN, shame it's largely ignored. Compare it to:

Sakura Spirit 156,873 ± 21,558
Also brought by Sekai Project, and you can see what people really want on steam.

ClaDun x2 9,273 ± 5,243
I remember NIS wasn't happy with the sales of this one, but it hasn't been in sale in a long time.

Dokuro 3,326 ± 3,761
Is anyone even aware this is on steam?

The Typing of The Dead: Overkill 209,421 ± 24,906
These sales look good, even if the game has been in sale a bunch of times:

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 375,567 ± 33,341
Damn son, Cape Fulgur made a killing with this one :p

Cave Story+ 700,131 ± 45,490
This one makes me so happy, even though it was in the humble bundle so long ago.

Not sure what to do.

Hey, I got that game earlier. It was like 50 cents or something.

Caster dev... are you a GAFer?
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ 13,910 ± 6,421

Also brought by Sekai Project, and you can see what people really want on steam.

ClaDun x2 9,273 ± 5,243
I remember NIS wasn't happy with the sales of this one, but it hasn't been in sale in a long time.

Dokuro 3,326 ± 3,761
Is anyone even aware this is on steam?

The Typing of The Dead: Overkill 209,421 ± 24,906
These sales look good, even if the game has been in sale a bunch of times:

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 375,567 ± 33,341
Damn son, Cape Fulgur made a killing with this one :p

Cave Story+ 700,131 ± 45,490
This one makes me so happy, even though it was in the humble bundle so long ago.
FYI, ones below like 20k are unreliable. I'd guess it gets worse the lower they are, too. So don't get too saddened quite yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Looked up a game and immediately became sad. Man it feels...kinda weird to have this kind of data. Almost makes me feel slimy in a way. Think I'll take a cold shower.

edit: that said, galyonkin, you have an amazing site. Keep up the awesome work.

NoPiece

Code:
GAME	                                        RELEASE DATE	OWNERS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer	11-Nov-09	4,432,174 ±119,286
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer	8-Nov-11	2,999,440 ±98,445
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer	12-Nov-12	2,262,167 ±85,634
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Multiplayer	3-Nov-14	1,588,893 ±71,875
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare	                Nov 3, 2014	821,753 ±51,777

The franchise fatigue is real

Not sure if only the multiplayer of AW should be the comparison but regardless

Shouldn't the numbers for the single and multiplayer be the same - they aren't sold separately. Even though the numbers are based on sampling, anyone who has one should have the other.

edit: I assume it is the free weekend for the MP. Which then makes the single player number useful for actual sales. Definite drop off for the franchise!

Men of War 2 has 19 million owners?

Well, what the fuck? How?

Console owners talking their shit about sales need to see this shit

It's actually pretty in line with how the games are regarded in general. XIII-2 sold like half of what XIII did on consoles.

Recent free weekend.

oh well durrrrr

Holy shit that 13-2 drop. Guess word of mouth that XIII was a terrible port did a number on 13-2.

That and it's behaving exactly like it did on consoles. Wouldn't doubt that quite a few PC people played 13 for their first time and saw what console players saw and decided that buying into the trilogy any further would just lead to more disappointment. That and the fact that 13-2 has been out for several months less than 13 has.

Planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ 13,910 ± 6,421

I also think that Sakura Spirit has had several more sales than Planetarian. But ya, one look at the screenshot section and I can tell you exactly why Sakura Spirit has sold as many as it has, same thing with Nekopara ("all ages" my ass, although some of those screenshots are from people using the uncensored files, kinda amazed Steam is allowing those). To be fair though, the character art is pretty good in both of them.....

ArjanN

That and it's behaving exactly like it did on consoles. Wouldn't doubt that quite a few PC people played 13 for their first time and saw what console players saw and decided that buying into the trilogy any further would just lead to more disappointment. That and the fact that 13-2 has been out for several months less than 13 has.

Not to mention there's almost always a drop off for sequels anyway. I mean the enhanced version of Baldur's Gate 2 has half the sales of Baldur's Gate 1. I'm guessing especially with long games people the first game, never get through it and so it gets put into their backlog, so they're never come around to the the sequel

Well, you have to be able to market yourself. While Planetary Annihilation has a standout title and look, that plays on the nostalgia for Total Annihilation, Grey Goo has a weird title and a very "blurry" look to it.

And Planetary Annihilation has several very cheap steam sales behind it.

TheSeks

Not sure what to do.

Simple answer: Don't do anything. Your data is publicly (?) available, they can't do anything about it besides whine that you're showing the data that are previously "hidden" from a lot of people.

Holy shit that 13-2 drop. Guess word of mouth that XIII was a terrible port did a number on 13-2.

Like someone said: It's pretty in line with the FF13 series' drop on console.

To be fair, I'm not buying 13-3 with how bad 13-2 was just like 13-1 was. Nope, burned twice. Not going to be burned a third time.

TheSeks

Since you're using public data provided by Valve just leave it up. They can't do anything.

Maybe make it a featured game on the front page for a few days.

That's just being a dick.

And honestly, I'm not sure why they'd want to hide the data. Even the developer just said:

Effects of free weekends on owners data are worse than you'd think.

Steam works this way.

1. Game goes on free weekend.
2. Everyone online during the weekend get the game added to his account - it's around 25M users.
3. The promotion ends.
4. Only people that are currently online will get the game removed from their accounts.

Because of this free weekend might affect data for several months.

There is no SteamGate

Guys that contacted me thought that Steam Spy shows Steam sales. It's not. It shows owners of the game on Steam and that particular game had a lot of retail sales and has been in at least one bundle.

So basically: It isn't a "true NPD"/sales chart for Steam. It only shows "ownership" of a title which is 50/50 on being true. (Has it been a recent (1-6 months) free weekend? If yes: TAKE WITH A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE PILE OF SALT. If no: Then possibly true but not 100% true) I'm not sure why the developers/publishers of that title would freak out outside of thinking that it's possibly violating Valve's "sale data" which again: Doesn't seem to be the case since it's going by ownership and not actual SALE DATA.

Sendou

That's just being a dick.

And honestly, I'm not sure why they'd want to hide the data. Even the developer just said:

So basically: It isn't a "true NPD"/sales chart for Steam. It only shows "ownership" of a title which is 50/50 on being true. (Has it been a recent (1-6 months) free weekend? If yes: TAKE WITH A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE PILE OF SALT. If no: Then possibly true but not 100% true) I'm not sure why the developers/publishers of that title would freak out outside of thinking that it's possibly violating Valve's "sale data" which again: Doesn't seem to be the case since it's going by ownership and not actual SALE DATA.

That said if you take in account the limitations and look up whether the game had a free weekend recently (Caster didn't and few games do) it's a pretty powerful tool. Especially compared to what we had previously which is just publishers sharing numbers when it suits them. Nobody would care enough to ask for a game taken down from the site if the numbers were inaccurate.

I wouldn't take down games personally. It's just that once you take down one then other publishers see it's a possibility and soon you have them saying "don't show any of the games published by us on the site". I mean why would you deny them that if you accepted some other takedown request?

Shengar

Space Rangers 2: Reboot - 26,315 (replaced by SR HD - 98,000)

Bullshit
If Space Rangers HD sells that much, why no one on GAF talk about it? Why the hell my OP doesn't make it to the third page?
Gaf, play this game pls

Well, that's just sad :((

I'm not Russian but Space Rangers is one of the best games released in the last 10 years.

If you didn't know that, that's how noob GAF is in pc gaming terms. :p

I did a compilation of RPG .

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Owners: 1,356,213 ± 63,221
Fallout 3 - Owners: 360,111 ± 32,649 (remember it wasn't a Steam game, it was GFWL)
Fallout 3 - GOTY edition - Owners: 1,363,168 ± 63,382
Fallout New Vegas - Owners: 3,290,460 ± 98,053
Skyrim - Owners: 8,281,789 ± 153,816

Final Fantasy XIII - Owners: 303,699 ± 29,986
The Last Remnant - Owners: 625,945 ± 43,019
Valkyria Chronicles - Owners: 269,697 ± 28,260

Mass Effect - Owners: 1,120,518 ± 57,495
Mass Effect 2 - Owners: 1,076,470 ± 56,359
DA: Origins - Owners: 474,482 ± 37,467
DA: Origins Ultimate Ed. - Owners: 942,781 ± 52,759
Star Warks KOTOR - Owners: 1,633,638 ± 69,344
Star Wars KOTOR 2 - Owners: 1,061,788 ± 55,976*

Divinity: Original Sin - Owners: 795,182 ± 48,469
Wasteland 2 - Owners: 410,342 ± 34,848
Dead State - Owners: 47,912 ± 11,917
Shadowrun Returns - Owners: 782,817 ± 48,092
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Owners: 330,746 ± 31,291*
Pillars of Eternity - Owners: 226,422 ± 25,896
BG2 Enhanced Edition - Owners: 224,876 ± 25,808

Mount & Blade - Owners: 778,953 ± 47,974
Mount & Blade: Warband - Owners: 1,704,733 ± 70,826
M&B: with Fire and Sword - Owners: 964,418 ± 53,359

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Owners: 141,417 ± 20,469
Legend of Grimmrock - Owners: 850,821 ± 50,130
Legend of Grimmrock 2 - Owners: 95,824 ±16,851
Might & Magic X - Owners: 134,462 ± 19,960

Gothic - Owners: 159,964 ±21,769
Gothic 2 - Owners: 200,921 ±24,396
Risen - Owners: 607,398 ± 42,379*
Risen 2 - Owners: 959,782 ± 53,231
Risen 3 - Owners: 88,869 ± 16,228
Arcania - Owners: 317,609 ± 30,665
Two Worlds - Owners: 438,934 ± 36,039*
Two Worlds 2 - Owners: 496,892 ± 38,340

The Witcher - Owners: 1,718,643 ± 71,112
The Witcher 2 - Owners: 2,697,744 ± 88,901

*unreliable data

sprinkles

So because a few dozen games had their numbers skewed due to free weekend, all numbers are only 50/50 correct? I don't think math works this way. The numbers for games without freebies seem to work out pretty accurately as a few devs admitted in this very thread.

I'm someone who doesn't pay that much attention to RTS compared to other strategy games. Planetary Annihilation has been hyped a fair amount for a long time but this is the first time I have heard of Grey Goo.

Top Bottom