• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Assault - Zipline-based 2D action (PC, Kickstarter) - Campaign Successful

EVO

Because it was kickstarted with a specific graphical style in mind. Whether it looks better or worse now is completely subjective, but it's not hard to see why some people might have been upset with the change.

Fair enough. I'm just surprised there's people out there that actually preferred the original style.

Mega

Banned
Fair enough. I'm just surprised there's people out there that actually preferred the original style.

Why is that surprising? There are very few indie games with NES-style graphics, especially well-executed peak NES graphics. This new style looks good, but it could just be another game on the Steam, Vita or 3DS store.

This looks awesome and actually way better than it originally did. Super good decision to change the artstyle imo. Hope it does well

"Better" for the sake of it is missing the point. What if the dev of that cel-shaded Tenchu-like indie game discarded its promised visuals and gameplay to look and play like Assassin's Creed? (which is technically better but not what people asked for)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The fact that not only are you getting this new vision of Steel Assault, but as a backer, also the game that carries on the old art and vision, as a free bonus, has returned this to "Class Act" territory. Awesome work. Wish I backed it at the time, but considering most of the KS's I had when I didnt' back it... still aren't in my hands / on my hard drive, I think I can wait for some of those to come in before tossing money at more.

Why is that surprising? There are very few indie games with NES-style graphics, especially well-executed peak NES graphics. This new style looks good, but it could just be another game on the Steam, Vita or 3DS store.

"Better" for the sake of it is missing the point. What if the dev of that cel-shaded Tenchu-like indie game discarded its promised visuals and gameplay to look and play like Assassin's Creed? (which is technically better but not what people asked for)

I get what you're saying, but I think that looks at the new work in the wrong light. If the devs of Aragami dropped the softer, 2000s CG game cel-shaded style, in order to invest in a 1990s high-detailed, multi-layered hand-drawn-ish art style instead, that... actually might end up pretty awesome. This isn't going from Cel-shade to hyper realism; it's going from one pixel style to one even more labor intensive for the artist. Definitely a shift, but not a complete betrayal.

The game currently looks like an NES dev got a 90s arcade game budget, and decided to make his dream game, instead of sticking to a lower hardware's restrictions. It doesn't really look like much out there now; The closes comparison might be something like Mercenary Kings, due to the strong black outlines. But nothing else Tribute has made, or games like Fist Puncher, Flinthook, Pocket Rumble, Jamestown, Momodora, Legend of Dark Witch... there's not much out there using pixel sprites that looks like this.

Now it's the best of both worlds! The KS update sounds like they understand the effect they had on others, and that's pretty cool. 2 pages ago, I said "It'd be cool if they made up for it, and gave backers chance to get the original game, and their new vision", now... they actually are, more or less. They should be commended for it.

OnPoint

I get what you're saying, but I think that looks at the new work in the wrong light. If the devs of Aragami dropped the softer, 2000s CG game cel-shaded style, in order to invest in a 1990s high-detailed, multi-layered hand-drawn-ish art style instead, that... actually might end up pretty awesome. This isn't going from Cel-shade to hyper realism; it's going from one pixel style to one even more labor intensive for the artist. Definitely a shift, but not a complete betrayal.

The game currently looks like an NES dev got a 90s arcade game budget, and decided to make his dream game, instead of sticking to a lower hardware's restrictions. It doesn't really look like much out there now; The closes comparison might be something like Mercenary Kings, due to the strong black outlines. But nothing else Tribute has made, or games like Fist Puncher, Flinthook, Pocket Rumble, Jamestown, Momodora, Legend of Dark Witch... there's not much out there using pixel sprites that looks like this.

Now it's the best of both worlds! The KS update sounds like they understand the effect they had on others, and that's pretty cool. 2 pages ago, I said "It'd be cool if they made up for it, and gave backers chance to get the original game, and their new vision", now... they actually are, more or less. They should be commended for it.
No, you've illustrated that you've missed the point. The Kickstarter sold the idea that the game would hold to those lower restrictions. It doesn't matter what the new stuff looks like or what quality it is -- if someone is disappointed because they backed it and it changed focus, I think they're in the right.

I'm not knocking this game any further as it's shaping up nicely, but as a backer (and one who is seeing this through and did not want a refund) I will always be a bit disappointed the the game I paid for will ever exist. I do think offering both games is a class act though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was disappointed in the loss of the NES look. That appeal is completely gone. But this looks nice enough that I'm interested in it for completely new reasons. Looks great, actually.

lord

Maybe I'm being naive but I backed a NES hombrew game not a retro style indie game. I actually expected a Nes ROM to play on my console. So even if it looks good now (meh), it's disappointing.

Edit: I just noticed that the ROM was never the full game just a thank you ROM, damn, backed for all the wrong reasons lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No, you've illustrated that you've missed the point. The Kickstarter sold the idea that the game would hold to those lower restrictions. It doesn't matter what the new stuff looks like or what quality it is -- if someone is disappointed because they backed it and it changed focus, I think they're in the right.

Naa, what I said before in this thread, and with the rest of what you quoted, shows I GET it. I also think one of the most charming aspects of older hardware and art is how the limits were pushed and prodded to make art and games that shouldn't be possible with those specs. And to see a team that really appreciated, and wanted to replicate that, to the degree they showed, is a rare thing.

I just hate when I see people getting to make even more of a dream project getting down-played because it doesn't fit in with an aesthetic born from an idea that they initially didn't think they'd have the funds to make. For THEM, I'm happy they get to, and even CAN, make something of this level.

This new look isn't "MORE GENERIC" at all; It's as unique to "Arcade hardware in the NES Era" games as the old one was to "Strictly NES" ones. It's not like they threw away gold to create Sterling Silver; they switched from one type of gold, in order to get gold from another area. The same passionate creators who posted deep knowledge on NES trickery in these very forums are still on the project.

I get why people were disappointed, and I do think promising one thing, but then delivering another, especially once you've accepted money, was dumb on the devs part. It makes perfect personal sense, but isn't really professional. You should put personal feelings aside once you've signed a money-backed contract with so many others. Even if it's personally frustrating.

But trying too hard to dismiss the quality of the new project, in order to pretend the old one was so, so many magnitudes better just smacks of an over sensationalized negativity, too.

I really wish there was a rule on these KS / IGG platforms to finish what one promised and started, before shifting ideas based on money / ambition. Much as how Shovel Knight made it's stretch goals "Free" expansions that we're STILL getting. It'd be awesome if stretch goals were for, say, an improved sequel added additionally onto the first promised game, instead of getting so much that your game can jump generations from NES to SNES-ish production value, or have 2 and a half bonus games of content added onto the base product.

If the 1st Steel Assault was finished as promised, and the new graphics were put towards a SA2 that all backers got as a free 2nd game a year or 2 later, I think EVERYONE would be happy, rather than the mix presented now. For what will ultimately be a small sect of people, the new style will never get the appreciation it deserves on it's own merits, because it'll forever be "that thing that got in the way of what I paid for".

And that could have been avoided with better project management.

One of the things I miss most about the old generations of games, is that iterations actually all felt like worthy products. You could see a new refinement in every Megaman, Konami BEU, or Taito sequel.

Now indie / smaller devs just make ONE of each "genre" of game, and never iterate, to make that 2nd or 3rd game with the characters, in that familiar universe, that shows they learned something from each release. So much KS/IGG drama could be avoided if devs would spend 3 years to make 2 games, rather than 3 years to over-develop a single game they initially said was going to be a one year, delivered-on-time passion project.

OnPoint

Naa, what I said before in this thread, and with the rest of what you quoted, shows I GET it. I also think one of the most charming aspects of older hardware and art is how the limits were pushed and prodded to make art and games that shouldn't be possible with those specs. And to see a team that really appreciated, and wanted to replicate that, to the degree they showed, is a rare thing.

I just hate when I see people getting to make even more of a dream project getting down-played because it doesn't fit in with an aesthetic born from an idea that they initially didn't think they'd have the funds to make. For THEM, I'm happy they get to, and even CAN, make something of this level.

This new look isn't "MORE GENERIC" at all; It's as unique to "Arcade hardware in the NES Era" games as the old one was to "Strictly NES" ones. It's not like they threw away gold to create Sterling Silver; they switched from one type of gold, in order to get gold from another area. The same passionate creators who posted deep knowledge on NES trickery in these very forums are still on the project.

I get why people were disappointed, and I do think promising one thing, but then delivering another, especially once you've accepted money, was dumb on the devs part. It makes perfect personal sense, but isn't really professional. You should put personal feelings aside once you've signed a money-backed contract with so many others. Even if it's personally frustrating.

But trying too hard to dismiss the quality of the new project, in order to pretend the old one was so, so many magnitudes better just smacks of an over sensationalized negativity, too.

I really wish there was a rule on these KS / IGG platforms to finish what one promised and started, before shifting ideas based on money / ambition. Much as how Shovel Knight made it's stretch goals "Free" expansions that we're STILL getting. It'd be awesome if stretch goals were for, say, an improved sequel added additionally onto the first promised game, instead of getting so much that your game can jump generations from NES to SNES-ish production value, or have 2 and a half bonus games of content added onto the base product.

If the 1st Steel Assault was finished as promised, and the new graphics were put towards a SA2 that all backers got as a free 2nd game a year or 2 later, I think EVERYONE would be happy, rather than the mix presented now. For what will ultimately be a small sect of people, the new style will never get the appreciation it deserves on it's own merits, because it'll forever be "that thing that got in the way of what I paid for".

And that could have been avoided with better project management.

One of the things I miss most about the old generations of games, is that iterations actually all felt like worthy products. You could see a new refinement in every Megaman, Konami BEU, or Taito sequel.

Now indie / smaller devs just make ONE of each "genre" of game, and never iterate, to make that 2nd or 3rd game with the characters, in that familiar universe, that shows they learned something from each release. So much KS/IGG drama could be avoided if devs would spend 3 years to make 2 games, rather than 3 years to over-develop a single game they initially said was going to be a one year, delivered-on-time passion project.
OK. I think you 100% get what we're saying. I just think you're wrong. Yes, the new project looks good, I am in no way dismissing it. But this isn't "oversensationalized negativity" -- it's legitimate confusion and anger over being told we'd be getting one thing, and now we're getting another.

I hate that I keep hammering this home, because I'm largely not mad about the situation at all anymore, but:

Dream project or not, you being happy for the devs or not, you looking forward to the game or not, it isn't what was promised. It's pretty cut and dry. Whether backers accept the project as OK or not is up to them, and guess what, most of us have. We don't need you telling us why we're wrong for feeling upset if we do.

As for your last paragraph... what are you talking about? I don't mean to dismiss it -- I seriously can't figure it out. Regardless, I can tell you from personal experience that there's a LOT that goes into making a game behind the scenes. And unless we get a tell-all from the dev, none of us on the outside will ever know what was going on to guide them to the point they're at. If nothing else, this is something i have deep sympathy for.

Also, when you're replying someone? Don't put things quotes if the person you're quoting and/or talking to didn't say those things. It looks like you're saying I said it. If you need an example, look at how I wrote this post. If I put something in quotes, you actually said it.

Well... it still looks better than Mighty No. 9.
So true. So true.

Dream project or not, you being happy for the devs or not, you looking forward to the game or not, it isn't what was promised. It's pretty cut and dry.

Point. We don't need you telling us why we're wrong for feeling upset if we did.
SriK said the major concept of the game was this thing - then, after months of silence (at least on Kickstarter) they suddendly said that now the game was about that. Nobody expected such flip-flop - and honestly I had a need for the money, by the way.

all backers of Steel Assault will now get a copy of Cyber Shadow (the 8-bit Metroidvania game which is using SA's old art, and which is in a very similar style) for free. This includes the 4-5 people who asked for refunds previously (I don't know if any of them were from here, but yeah).

Fine, fine. BRB I'm going to head-butt the wall for my eagerness, happy now?
/joke

But earnestly, really generous from your part.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
OK. I think you 100% get what we're saying. I just think you're wrong. Yes, the new project looks good, I am in no way dismissing it. But this isn't "oversensationalized negativity" -- it's legitimate confusion and anger over being told we'd be getting one thing, and now we're getting another.

I'm speaking to the thread, not just you. Sorry if that's not clear? But, say, Mega's comments about the new style looking like any other Indie on any platform, don't really seem to follow what happened here.

I hate that I keep hammering this home, because I'm largely not mad about the situation at all anymore, but:

Dream project or not, you being happy for the devs or not, you looking forward to the game or not, it isn't what was promised. It's pretty cut and dry.

I have no idea why you're reiterating something I already said, as if it's a new idea. Especially if you don't want to hammer it home any more than needed.

Me said:

We agree here, right?

Whether backers accept the project as OK or not is up to them, and guess what, most of us have. We don't need you telling us why we're wrong for feeling upset if we do.

I don't get the snark. I presented a further viewpoint for discussion, from one who isn't as emotionally invested. Acting as a mediator between negative commentary and a positively nice looking game.

GAF is full of so much 0 ~ 100 % stuff, that goes from "Pump it into my Veins!" to "This is Sh*T!", that I may be overly lashing out, lol. (I didnt' feel it all that rude, but you and Santerestil seem to take it as such, so my apologies.)

I find the extremes tiring at times. Often it's like the sites general audience has very little moderation in thinking and presentation; just one high to another. What's wrong with being a middle-man, who understands both sides, and tries to find the less extreme between the two? It's a discussion board, and that's the very root of discussion.

Surely, a discussion board isn't just a place for yes-men and like-minded individuals to just nod their heads over one sentiment and opinion?

As for your last paragraph... what are you talking about? I don't mean to dismiss it -- I seriously can't figure it out. Regardless, I can tell you from personal experience that there's a LOT that goes into making a game behind the scenes. And unless we get a tell-all from the dev, none of us on the outside will ever know what was going on to guide them to the point they're at. If nothing else, this is something i have deep sympathy for.

What's so hard to understand? Most KS frustrations come from developers trying to do too much with a project. Like delivering every stretch goal by release.

And many classics games remain as such, because they're the product of a company or developers refining an idea over many releases. All too often lately, devs seem to tire of a genre after one release, and move on to a fresh start on another game, in a different universe, in another genre.

For example, I offer things like Dragon's Crown, all the series Tribute games has spawned since their XBLIG days, and just about every beat-em-up that has come out in the past few years.

Most such games are one-offs. After successful Castle Crashers, we got unrelated games like Battleblock Theater or the upcoming Pit People. In those NES days, when a game came out, and had some rough edges, you'd see them refined in sequels. You'd see graphics improve along the way, new gameplay concepts, etc.

Now, as is the case with many kickstarter-style games, it seems like many devs just try to put everything they can into one product, regardless of what that does to the fans who fell in love with their simple, base idea. Instead of doing like, say, Zeboyd games, which released complete little titles like Breath of Death, Cthulhu Saves the World, and the Penny Arcade continuations; many a KS promises a Breath of Death, and tries to make a Cosmic Star Heroine.

Even the best DVD / BluRay KS's I've contributed to work iteratively. They don't promise the moon and back on a single project. They make increasing successes on a variety of projects, and funnel more resources into later ones, after the interest and production time of the previous ones are complete and analyzed.

Yet many of the gaming KS's I've contributed to, or watch, get bigger and bigger, without delivering on the initial product. I'm waiting for a game I contributed to 4 years ago to come out, while another KS I donated to at the same time is offering their 3rd or 4th successful release.

Also, when you're replying someone? Don't put things quotes if the person you're quoting and/or talking to didn't say those things. It looks like you're saying I said it. If you need an example, look at how I wrote this post. If I put something in quotes, you actually said it.

If I want to quote a specific person, I use the forum's quote function. If I want to paraphrase a general sentiment, like an idea stated across multiple posters, or including sentiments from youtube, KS pages, or other threads, I'll use quotation marks around a paraphrased line. Is that really confusing? How else would you do it? Bold? Underline?

I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, or pertend you said something you didn't. That wasn't the intent.

I feel like you're either taking this too personally, or reading it all in the wrong tone. I'm offering up a viewpoint for discussion, and trying to make sure a product I honestly think looks very good doesn't get pushed too far behind the understandable negativity that was born from a bad developer decision.

Game looks amazing. Not sure why people were unhappy with the change, it's a huge improvement over the original style.

Putting aside the issue with people backing for a specific reason and having that reason eliminated, the screenshot used to announce the change in style just actually didn't look good:

eVkEo0b.gif

The new shots have areas with a more coherent visual style and a bunch of nice animation, so the impression they give now is a lot better than what we got at the actual announcement.

Putting aside the issue with people backing for a specific reason and having that reason eliminated, the screenshot used to announce the change in style just actually didn't look good:

eVkEo0b.gif

The new shots have areas with a more coherent visual style and a bunch of nice animation, so the impression they give now is a lot better than what we got at the actual announcement.

This is a good point. The initial "new art style" shot didn't look terrible, but it looked kind of uninspired. The new GIFs from SriK make the game look really fun. And giving the other "NES art" game to backers for free, including those who already got refunds, is a very classy PR move.

OnPoint

I'm speaking to the thread, not just you. Sorry if that's not clear? But, say, Mega's comments about the new style looking like any other Indie on any platform, don't really seem to follow what happened here.
I see what you mean, it just looked like it was all directed at me since it was under my quoted post you quoted.

If I want to quote a specific person, I use the forum's quote function. If I want to paraphrase a general sentiment, like an idea stated across multiple posters, or including sentiments from youtube, KS pages, or other threads, I'll use quotation marks around a paraphrased line. Is that really confusing? How else would you do it? Bold? Underline?

I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, or pertend you said something you didn't. That wasn't the intent.

I feel like you're either taking this too personally, or reading it all in the wrong tone. I'm offering up a viewpoint for discussion, and trying to make sure a product I honestly think looks very good doesn't get pushed too far behind the understandable negativity that was born from a bad developer decision.
Again, it looked like you were talking to me because you did quote my post. I getcha now. Sorry.

I have no idea why you're reiterating something I already said, as if it's a new idea. Especially if you don't want to hammer it home any more than needed.

I don't get the snark. I presented a further viewpoint for discussion, from one who isn't as emotionally invested. Acting as a mediator between negative commentary and a positively nice looking game.
Because to me, the changing of the style is a pretty black and white issue. No amount of explanation is going to change that.

GAF is full of so much 0 ~ 100 % stuff, that goes from "Pump it into my Veins!" to "This is Sh*T!", that I may be overly lashing out, lol. (I didnt' feel it all that rude, but you and Santerestil seem to take it as such, so my apologies.)

I find the extremes tiring at times. Often it's like the sites general audience has very little moderation in thinking and presentation; just one high to another. What's wrong with being a middle-man, who understands both sides, and tries to find the less extreme between the two? It's a discussion board, and that's the very root of discussion.

Surely, a discussion board isn't just a place for yes-men and like-minded individuals to just nod their heads over one sentiment and opinion?
Generally I'm OK with the whole Devil's Advocate position. Sometimes I even play it myself. I just feel pretty strongly about this (as evidenced by this thread haha)

What's so hard to understand? Most KS frustrations come from developers trying to do too much with a project. Like delivering every stretch goal by release.

And many classics games remain as such, because they're the product of a company or developers refining an idea over many releases. All too often lately, devs seem to tire of a genre after one release, and move on to a fresh start on another game, in a different universe, in another genre.

For example, I offer things like Dragon's Crown, all the series Tribute games has spawned since their XBLIG days, and just about every beat-em-up that has come out in the past few years.

Most such games are one-offs. After successful Castle Crashers, we got unrelated games like Battleblock Theater or the upcoming Pit People. In those NES days, when a game came out, and had some rough edges, you'd see them refined in sequels. You'd see graphics improve along the way, new gameplay concepts, etc.

Now, as is the case with many kickstarter-style games, it seems like many devs just try to put everything they can into one product, regardless of what that does to the fans who fell in love with their simple, base idea. Instead of doing like, say, Zeboyd games, which released complete little titles like Breath of Death, Cthulhu Saves the World, and the Penny Arcade continuations; many a KS promises a Breath of Death, and tries to make a Cosmic Star Heroine.

Even the best DVD / BluRay KS's I've contributed to work iteratively. They don't promise the moon and back on a single project. They make increasing successes on a variety of projects, and funnel more resources into later ones, after the interest and production time of the previous ones are complete and analyzed.

Yet many of the gaming KS's I've contributed to, or watch, get bigger and bigger, without delivering on the initial product. I'm waiting for a game I contributed to 4 years ago to come out, while another KS I donated to at the same time is offering their 3rd or 4th successful release.
Every development team, indie or not, is different. And every team goes through different things. Tribute is kind of a gold standard -- not everyone is as skill-diverse, organized or well funded as they are. Developers do different things for many different reasons. Sometimes a game is not successful enough for a sequel or refinement to make sense. Sometimes the dev is sick of working on that style of game. Sometimes they think the next, different project will be more successful. Sometimes they're really excited to change things up. I think the days of expecting endless sequels as the norm are behind us. Sequels will happen, but when you see things like Hotline Miami 2 not performing as well as the original, despite it being an established hit, you start to question making sequels.

To your point about devs doing too much and expanding beyond the original Kickstarter? I'm not sure how that applies here. If anything Steel Assault is more work in this form since the art assets need to be replaced, and whole second game has been created to use the old assets, further increasing the scope (plus the amount of games) and falling into what you said you wish devs wouldn't do.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I see what you mean, it just looked like it was all directed at me since it was under my quoted post you quoted.

Again, it looked like you were talking to me because you did quote my post. I getcha now. Sorry.

No problem. Internet typing can be weird, and I guess we all have our ways of looking at how things are presented.

Because to me, the changing of the style is a pretty black and white issue. No amount of explanation is going to change that.

Generally I'm OK with the whole Devil's Advocate position. Sometimes I even play it myself. I just feel pretty strongly about this (as evidenced by this thread haha)

Understandable. Similar for me, certain temperance's across threads just eventually get one to a breaking point. I never like entering a thread, seeing a nice looking game, and feeling like the jokes / jabs at it are overshadowing the actual art and work on display, y'know? That's not happening as much here, admittedly.

Every development team, indie or not, is different. And every team goes through different things. Tribute is kind of a gold standard -- not everyone is as skill-diverse, organized or well funded as they are.

Ironically, I kinda don't like how tribute does things, just because they seem to plow through ideas faster than I'd like. I like seeing characters and worlds grow, but they seem to quickly skip from one to another.

Developers do different things for many different reasons. Sometimes a game is not successful enough for a sequel or refinement to make sense. Sometimes the dev is sick of working on that style of game. Sometimes they think the next, different project will be more successful. Sometimes they're really excited to change things up. I think the days of expecting endless sequels as the norm are behind us. Sequels will happen, but when you see things like Hotline Miami 2 not performing as well as the original, despite it being an established hit, you start to question making sequels.

It's a pretty common thing not just in gaming, but also with entertainment all over the world. Developers always want to make "the next big thing", and they try to hit it big with new I.P. My issue is that it feels often times that worlds, characters, and even engines and gameplay concepts that could / should be developed, often are treated too lightly.

For example, as annoying as it is to see Inafune try to get more and more stuff with MN9 and his other KS before the games were / are even out, I respect the idea that he wants to build franchises, rather than 1-off tales. He still thinks like an older developer in that respect, and I do like that about him.

To your point about devs doing too much and expanding beyond the original Kickstarter? I'm not sure how that applies here. If anything Steel Assault is more work in this form since the art assets need to be replaced, and whole second game has been created to use the old assets, further increasing the scope (plus the amount of games) and falling into what you said you wish devs wouldn't do.

It doesn't apply as much now, with the New and modified Old game being offered together. But the way they decided to make a perfect NES game, and then basically decided to make a whole new game after the old one was KS'd successfully and confirmed for Steam Greenlight? They really put the cart before the horse.

There's a lot of copying and "follow the leader" mentality in entertainment development. Indies and small devs all jump on, and try so hard to mimic trends. Ultimately, I hope making smaller, focused games, and making timely sequels, becomes a trend again. Rather than trying to make every game the ultimate product you've ever made.

That's one thing I loved about XBLIG; it was a cheap enough platform to get into and publish on that people wanted to release smaller, cheaper games, and then improve on them with new releases over time. I loved the ARKEDO series, which aimed to make small, polished games in a few months time period. Also enjoyed those games made by Kohei, which had nice spritework and were pretty competent and well presented, especially for a dollar.

There's a cohesion to products that maintain similar inspirations, themes, and designs through multiple works, that makes me want to stick with all the developers games more.

----

Anywho, SriK, sorry for overtaking your thread with other game concepts and discussions, heh. I really like the idea of making games out of all the assets. As a person who'se made a lot of assets for scrapped projects, I wish things I worked on turned out as well, haha.

Hope to see a proper trailer of the new design sometime!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are they any closer to showing actual bona fide gameplay? All these people ever seem to do is make pretty gifs and it's not cutting it anymore.

Just to clarify, the Steel Assault devs aren't making that other game (Cyber Shadow), it's an existing project by another guy that they merely gifted their old sprites to.

SriK

6 minutes of level footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1S77gMGzfs

Hey again, guys. Development has been slow for a long time, due to my Master's research, life obligations, and other stuff. Regardless, that's been winding down lately and we've been chipping away at this. The result is the above video.

There's a lot of small stuff that could be better or needs to be ironed out, but overall, this is a good representation of what the game plays like as of now (although YouTube seems to have messed up the framerate a bit). I hope you enjoy the video, and that you like the kind of play style we're going for!

A formal Kickstarter update is coming soon; I just really wanted to get this video out (I posted it on Twitter as well). I don't want to make any promises I can't keep on a release date, so I'm going to keep silent on that for now.

And since no post of ours would be complete without a pretty GIF, here's the GIF:

sa_08_26_640x480.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's so very, very nice looking. Definitely getting more to that classic 32 bit awesome pixel work that I still feel is much more rare now-a-days.

As much as people complain about no games of this style releasing, and too many sharp edge sub-NES 8-bit throwbacks, you'd think this has the potential to sell millions on visuals alone,

Go Go 480p "HD"!

jett

D-Member
I suggest capturing your footage at 60fps next time to paint it in the best possible light.

It looks great, kinda like a GBA game, like Ninja Scooter said.

SriK

Thanks guys!!

I suggest capturing your footage at 60fps next time to paint it in the best possible light.

I had captured the footage at 480p 60fps (240p upscaled using a scanline filter). I thought YouTube was just processing the video and the choppiness was temporary, but nope, it turns out the site caps out 480p video at 30fps.

So I just upscaled the recorded footage to "HD", re-uploaded it, and made a new tweet / edited my post. It definitely looks smoother now! Glad I held off a bit on the KS update.

I get the scanlines might bother some people, but I think it's a nice middle ground between blocky nearest-neighbor pixels and blurry linear upsampling. Either way, all of that stuff will be customizable ingame.

Awakened

I get the scanlines might bother some people, but I think it's a nice middle ground between blocky nearest-neighbor pixels and blurry linear upsampling. Either way, all of that stuff will be customizable ingame.
Maybe you can add a sharp-bilinear option. That way you get clean upscaling with minimal blur. There is a new sharp-bilinear-simple RetroArch GLSL shader which you can see the source of here. It's supposed to be pretty light on resources.

Top Bottom