• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen's Sausage Roll - 'The Dark Souls of puzzle games'

I picked this up near launch. I got to the 3rd world but stopped for a while. I've picked it up again and solved a couple of puzzles but I'm having trouble on a lot of them. If you like this game you should pick up English Country Tune by the same developer. It's $1 on Steam right now. I'm also looking at RYB which I've heard good things about.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just picked this up and even the first few puzzles I beat took me a while to figure out. Clock is at 50 minutes and I beat 2 stages :/ You really have to plan your movement, and understand how the fork works. I'm hoping it's normal that the even the first puzzles aren't supposed to be easy-peasy tutorial puzzles

Bamboo

I finally picked this up with the Steam sale and I really like it. During the hour I played I was able to get 8 sausages but have no idea with some of the other levels that I looked at.
Oh right, the sale! Stephen's Sausage Roll is 20% off!

Just picked this up and even the first few puzzles I beat took me a while to figure out. Clock is at 50 minutes and I beat 2 stages :/ You really have to plan your movement, and understand how the fork works. I'm hoping it's normal that the even the first puzzles aren't supposed to be easy-peasy tutorial puzzles
That's the spirit of the game. No redundant bullshit. It knows you're able to figure out on your own. And almost every level introduces a little tiny bit that you haven't done so far or to think about the space in a slightly different / new way. Cutting out the repetition that tutorials inevitably bring. There are some seemingly hard levels later, but the beginning is probably the hardest. Don't be afraid of playing around, trying out different things. And don't hesitate to use the undo-button. You can go back as many steps as you want without any disadvantage.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh right, the sale! Stephen's Sausage Roll is 20% off!

That's the spirit of the game. No redundant bullshit. It knows you're able to figure out on your own. And almost every level introduces a little tiny bit that you haven't done so far or to think about the space in a slightly different / new way. Cutting out the repetition that tutorials inevitably bring. There are some seemingly hard levels later, but the beginning is probably the hardest. Don't be afraid of playing around, trying out different things. And don't hesitate to use the undo-button. You can go back as many steps as you want without any disadvantage.

Yeah that's really useful. Thank goodness that button exists, even when you get burned.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing through this again. There's a level in world 4 that requires a sausage to be rotated onto a 1-cell oven in the top-right and it's killing me. I think I breezed through this one the first time but good lord 0_0

Exuro

Got this in the humble bundle. Currently in the second world and I'm getting serious Braid/Fez vibes which is awesome. Really enjoying it.

Inkwell

Banned
I picked this up with the bundle. It's really, really difficult. I'm only a little way into the game and I'm struggling. It feels great when you solve something that initially seemed impossible. I almost noped out of my play session when I got to "The Great Tower" but I decided to give it a few more tries. Still didn't solve it. I still have other puzzles in the area so I might save it for last. I have a general idea of how to solve it (and what sausage goes where), but I haven't figured out exactly how to accomplish that. The game is very well designed though.

Neoweee

I picked this up with the bundle. It's really, really difficult. I'm only a little way into the game and I'm struggling. It feels great when you solve something that initially seemed impossible. I almost noped out of my play session when I got to "The Great Tower" but I decided to give it a few more tries. Still didn't solve it. I still have other puzzles in the area so I might save it for last. I have a general idea of how to solve it (and what sausage goes where), but I haven't figured out exactly how to accomplish that. The game is very well designed though.

The game is difficult, but the puzzles are well-deserved in terms of curve and how they restrain the design space in a way that forces to the player to "learn" the new mechanics or movements patterns.

The Great Tower is a fantastic example. After two full islands, you should know how to use process of elimination to parse down the meta-requirements of the level.
You MUST do some things in a specific order. You MUST use all 8 grills.
After that, there is a completely manageable design space to work within to craft the mechanics of a viable solution.

Kalor

Has anyone had any problems with a 30 fps lock? It was fine when I last played but I came back to the game earlier in the week and now it's always at 30. Normally I would be fine with it but the movement feels really jittery now.

SigSig

After rolling sausages for a while: This is one of the best puzzle games ever created. The design here is incredible. More people should play this.

low-G

Yeah I might as well chip in to say I was really skeptical if I'd enjoy the game as I'm generally not a fan of sokoban style nor was I a fan of the minimalist / messy style of the game's visuals, but the puzzles are difficult and solid enough to be quite fun.

There's nothing shallow about solving such complex logical puzzles, so it feels worthwhile.

Neoweee

I'm trucking along nicely. A few puzzles into World 5 after about 11 hours played. World 4 was easy?

This is a great game. I like how much freedom you have for puzzles to attempt in each world. Normally I'd hate getting bottle-necked on the last one, but I feel like once I crush the 2nd and 3rd to last puzzles I have, the last goes down easily since I've already fully grasped the mindspace of the world's key gimmick.

iammeiam

Man I'm stuck at the tower and don't have the patience to work it out right now

The Tower is what I started thinking of as a Teaching Puzzle. It's a lot less intimidating than it looks at first, because the actual key to solving it is understanding a mechanic they're introducing you to for the first time in the puzzle.

Essentially if a puzzle seems incomprehensibly obtuse, it's probably an "ohhhhhhh I can do that?" moment in the making.

Bought this in the Humble Bundle. The first half-hour I spent with this game, I wondered if I'd bitten off more than I can chew; the game really throws at you some incomprehensible puzzles to start. And it looks so simple that it doesn't seem possible to learn something new that will change the way you look at the unsolvable puzzles.

And then, somehow, you DO learn something new that changes the way you look at the unsolvable puzzles, and suddenly they're solvable. It's amazing how the game manages to do this with even fewer tools than The Witness. No wonder Jonathan Blow likes this game.

Bought this in the Humble Bundle. The first half-hour I spent with this game, I wondered if I'd bitten off more than I can chew; the game really throws at you some incomprehensible puzzles to start. And it looks so simple that it doesn't seem possible to learn something new that will change the way you look at the unsolvable puzzles.

And then, somehow, you DO learn something new that changes the way you look at the unsolvable puzzles, and suddenly they're solvable. It's amazing how the game manages to do this with even fewer tools than The Witness. No wonder Jonathan Blow likes this game.
If you're still in that first section of puzzles, you aint seen nothing yet in how the games blossoms from such a seemingly simple toolset

Seriously some of the best puzzle design I've ever encountered

Kalor

I finally put some time into The Great Tower and the game just keeps throwing new mechanics at you. I haven't solved it yet but I have general idea what I need to do.

Really enjoyed this game at the beginning of the year, but got hung up with only two puzzles left in the cold world. I dunno if I should pick up where I left off or start over again to regain the mindset

Mikke

Really enjoyed this game at the beginning of the year, but got hung up with only two puzzles left in the cold world. I dunno if I should pick up where I left off or start over again to regain the mindset
I was in the same situation recently and decided to start over. Blazed through most of the puzzles, even the tower and twisty farms, which I both dreaded doing again. I'd go for it, at least the first couple of levels.
This is another thing about this game, you get better without realizing. Each puzzle feels as unsolvable as the previous one but if you go back you can solve older puzzles pretty easily.

Neoweee

World 6 is just complete garbage.
One of the best parts about the game that kept it from being frustrating was its non-linearity, and now it is all gone. I don't want to have to throw my head against a single puzzle over and over until I get.

Neoweee

Finished. The last world really should have been about half as long as it was. There's very little development of ideas over a long, linear sequence of puzzles, and wow does it suck. There are some very good puzzles (like the last, and third to last), but a bunch of it felt really tedious and redundant.

Overall, very good game, despite the last world souring me a bunch.

Afrodium

Banned
Anyone play this in a Steam Link or some type of in home streaming? I can't get it to recognize my Dualshock 4. Does this game have known issues with controller support?

Just done the first set of levels. You feel like such a boss when you figure a level out. Then I spent 10 minutes figuring out I had to climb the ladder...such a good game.

Twisty Farm and The Great Tower are the only 2 left in World 2. I imagine everybody gets to this point.

These levels are impossible and anybody that says they beat them is lying and oh god.

Makai

Twisty Farm and The Great Tower are the only 2 left in World 2. I imagine everybody gets to this point.

These levels are impossible and anybody that says they beat them is lying and oh god.
I beat them. Three of my friends beat those two in no time but it took me weeks.

sonicmj1

Still crawling through late stages of the game every now and then. Ancient Dam was a triumph.

Backbone has me utterly baffled again.

Neoweee

Probably not. Not of his other games have.

Which of his other games are most like Sausage Roll? I played Country Tune, but I didn't really like it. SSR does so well due to its non-linearity and how it gels with its puzzle-design.

Valahart

I've been playing SSR for the last few weeks and man, is it good. It's achieved new highs on level design. I love the suble way each new mechanic is introduced and how they are not necessarily new, it's always been there but the level design changes in a way to make them viable.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last few puzzles now, although the difficulty curve is not really ideal, I can't say anything felt repetitive.

Incredible incredible game.

(Calling it Dark Souls of puzzles makes zero sense and it's annoying though)

I beat them. Three of my friends beat those two in no time but it took me weeks.
My biggest criticism of this game is that you HAVE to beat all the levels in a world before you can advance to the next one. Unlike, say, Snakebird, where you have several levels at once you can have a go at.

It's going to be a long few weeks...

Neoweee

My biggest criticism of this game is that you HAVE to beat all the levels in a world before you can advance to the next one. Unlike, say, Snakebird, where you have several levels at once you can have a go at.

I didn't find it to be an issue though, as the last level always went down pretty quickly due to the overlapping design space. If I could beat 11 other puzzles with the same theme, I already know everything that I need to know.

Except for the last world, which is like your problem, x20.

Makai

There is absolutely no way you will beat any levels in World 3 without beating Great Tower

Bamboo

Still crawling through late stages of the game every now and then. Ancient Dam was a triumph.

Backbone has me utterly baffled again.
I think Backbone was the one that took me longest to beat. Second was The Great Tower. But man was it satisfying to finally beat them. Don't be afraid to leave the game for a few days. Sometimes it takes a fresh mind to see what was right in front of you the whole time.

dickroach

I just tried to beat the first level for like 20 minutes, and I think I got close!
there's no other controls than up,down,left,right, right? like, I can't use the thing that should totally be a fork that's on my face to fork the sausages?

btw the game's selling for like $2 on a not-so-loved site, because it was in that humble bundle. just a heads up

I did Twisty Farm! Not trying for a couple of days really works wonders.

The Great Tower, though...I don't even know where to start D:

Just loaded it up for the first time in many months... I had thought I was stuck on the last puzzle of... I don't even remember but when I loaded it up I had all the "cold" theme puzzles ready to go. Knocked out a couple of the easier ones. Still struggling a bit to remember the basics. Great brain workout though.

Top Bottom