• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jobs To Take ‘Medical Leave Of Absence’, Stays On As CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Tabris said:
A Steve Job-less Apple is the same as Bill Gates-less Microsoft. The business guys invade and the companies lose what made them great before.

This.

Tim Cook may be a great businessman, but I don't see anything creative about him.

Schiller is like their goofy Ballmer and I don't see anything special about Forstall. Ive will continue his great design, but who will lead the charge creatively and take risks?

jts

...hate me...
goodcow said:
This.

Tim Cook may be a great businessman, but I don't see anything creative about him.

Schiller is like their goofy Ballmer and I don't see anything special about Forstall. Ive will continue his great design, but who will lead the charge creatively and take risks?
BILL GATES.

No but seriously I don't even like to joke about this shit. We'd be living on a fucking retarded technology world if it wasn't for Steve Jobs and I don't want to imagine the next 10, 20, 30 years without him pushing the industry forward.

antonz

Jenga said:
Personally, I don't think the regular consumer gives two shits about Jobs the presenter, they only care about the hip niche Apple has carved up. If Jobs were to suddenly announce he would now call the shots without being in the public I don't think it would make even a dent.

In sales overall it wouldnt matter at all. But the stock value it matters. news of his medical leave has generated a big concern.

As I said earlier the people who buy apple stock are not joe consumer. They buy the stock knowing Jobs is a visionary. Jobs death will lead to alot of those stock holders to change ownership decisions.

SAN FRANCISCO/LONDON (Reuters) – Apple Inc Chief Executive Steve Jobs is taking medical leave for the third time since 2004, sending its shares tumbling more than 8 percent as the surprise revived concerns over the long-term future of the iPhone- and iPad-maker.

The company disclosed the news early on a U.S. holiday when U.S. markets were closed

Unlike his last leave this time he did not set a return date.

goodcow said:
I don't see anything special about Forstall.

Yeah. Nothing special about an engineer turned VP who was integral in the creation of both OS X and iOS. Forstall can be directly credited with most of the companies growth in the past four years.

mrkgoo

If you've been paying attention to the keynotes and presentations of late, you can tell that even the non-Stevenotes have a very 'steve'-like air about them. The pacing, delivery, and dialogue. There's got to be more to them than just Steve - I imagine there's a really good coaching team there that actually formulate the stevenotes.

Anyway, all the best to him.

LCfiner

antonz said:
In sales overall it wouldnt matter at all. But the stock value it matters. news of his medical leave has generated a big concern.

As I said earlier the people who buy apple stock are not joe consumer. They buy the stock knowing Jobs is a visionary. Jobs death will lead to alot of those stock holders to change ownership decisions.

Unlike his last leave this time he did not set a return date.

also unlike his last leave, he is not handing over an interim CEO title to Cook or anyone else

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I hate news commenting on websites on a day like this.

Apple CEO takes medical leave and all people can comment is:

"Lol, I guess he had a few too many apple-ciders that his liver could not take"
"Fuck Apple and macs"

Fuck the internet twats with no heart whatsoever. Can't they just try and act like normal human beings. No empathy at all.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
POWERSPHERE said:
Don't worry, he's just been replacing his broken meat with cyborg parts. He'll be running a beta of OSX 11 so he'll be fine.

Spinning beachball of (ACTUAL) death.

Walshicus

dofry said:
Fuck the internet twats with no heart whatsoever. Can't they just try and act like normal human beings. No empathy at all.
To be fair, we're talking about just another businessman here. It's not like he's a philanthropist or a do-er of good. I mean his friends and family should clearly be concerned, but it's amusingly inappropriate for anyone here to get personally upset by this.

Tobor

LM4sure said:
Uhhh...yeah really. Down 5% already. Don't doubt me.

Wow, you're really a prognosticator. Anyone with an Etrade account knew it would be down. Their quarterly earnings are going to be huge later today. Let's see what happens then.

Sir Fragula said:
To be fair, we're talking about just another businessman here. It's not like he's a philanthropist or a do-er of good. I mean his friends and family should clearly be concerned, but it's amusingly inappropriate for anyone here to get personally upset by this.

He's far more important than that, and will be seen by history accordingly.

Sir Fragula said:
I talked to someone yesterday who said 'karma is a bitch'. When I asked them, they said 'he used his money to circumvent proper organ donor channels. Someone probably had to die so he could get a liver' . First, thats going too far, but I think it's odd that other people want me to care more about Steve Jobs than I would about any other person that is dying.

LCfiner

FYI, stock is already going back up after the big drop in after hours trading last night. curious. I honestly didn't expect that. I thought it would drop a bit more before lunch

StuBurns

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Steve Jobs is absolutely responsible for the iPhone, it is the greatest piece of consumer electronics ever made. He has literally changed the world for the better. He hasn't cured aids, or freed a nation, but he has made a hugely significant impact.

I'm not upset he's ill personally, beyond hearing anyone is ill and knowing they have a history of medical issues, but I can fully understand people being upset by this. People were freaking out when Micheal Jackson died, and he was just a pop star. This is really no different.

hyp

BobTheFork said:
I talked to someone yesterday who said 'karma is a bitch'. When I asked them, they said 'he used his money to circumvent proper organ donor channels. Someone probably had to die so he could get a liver' . First, thats going too far, but I think it's odd that other people want me to care more about Steve Jobs than I would about any other person that is dying.
dude created the iPhone, fuck yea his life has more value!

Sent from my iPhone

andycapps

Good for him on getting focused on his health. Hopefully he stays out until he's completely healthy this time. And I hope that's not true about him being vegan now, putting on weight while being vegan is almost impossible. He needs to get with the best nutritionist in the country and get on a diet that will keep him healthy, gaining weight, etc.

Mael

BobTheFork said:

Dear god, I hope this is a joke somehow.
I mean if it's actually true he deserves what he get now.

GodofWine

BobTheFork said:

I read He was wealthy enough that he could basically establish residence in any state (via a home purchase) he wanted to, and was able to (hire someone to research) determine what states had the lowest waiting times for various organs. Tennesee I believe is where they found the shortest wait time, so he 'moved' there.

I don't think he 'bought' his way to the organ, just used his wealth to make it happen faster in a non-jump the line way.

or so I read

numble

GodofWine said:
I read He was wealthy enough that he could basically establish residence in any state (via a home purchase) he wanted to, and was able to (hire someone to research) determine what states had the lowest waiting times for various organs. Tennesee I believe is where they found the shortest wait time, so he 'moved' there.

I don't think he 'bought' his way to the organ, just used his wealth to make it happen faster in a non-jump the line way.

or so I read
He also helped push through a law that made the organ donation system better in California:
http://www.businessinsider.com/stev...california-passes-his-organ-donor-law-2010-10

GodofWine said:

or so I read
Well, I really don't know but that sounds the nicest version of what they told everyone. I've also been told that even in that case, there isn't a state with a waiting list so short that he could have gotten a new liver so fast by waiting for one, which I think is true. It's not like he stole it out of an orphan but in terms of the argument I can see why people might be upset that he got preferential treatment.

Van Owen

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Well, I really don't know but that sounds the nicest version of what they told everyone. I've also been told that even in that case, there isn't a state with a waiting list so short that he could have gotten a new liver so fast by waiting for one, which I think is true. It's not like he stole it out of an orphan but in terms of the argument I can see why people might be upset that he got preferential treatment.
Yeah, but you can bet your ass it's what anyone in his position would have done.

numble

BobTheFork said:
Just read this story to see what he did:
http://www.businessinsider.com/stev...california-passes-his-organ-donor-law-2010-10

I've never read that he jumped ahead of anyone on a waiting list--he just got listed on a ton of hospitals and had a plane ready to fly him to wherever and whenever it was his time on the list and it matched his body. He also got onto private hospital lists, not just state lists.

Here's what was really happening: Steve Jobs's liver was failing and he was learning that he needed to replace it or else he would die.
Around this time, Steve began looking for a new liver. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one doing so in California. In fact, over 3,400 Californians were waiting for a new liver in 2009. Only 671 got one. 400 died.
What Steve probably did next, in the weeks between January and March, was what most wealthy Americans with failing livers do in the same situation: travel around the US and pay big fees to be examined by various doctors at various hospitals in order to get on as many waiting lists as possible.
This process is called multiple-listing, and its benefit is that when looking for a patient who needs a liver, hospitals look at their own lists before moving on to the national one.
The process is very time consuming. One of the hospitals where Steve got listed required an interview with a doctor, an interview with a a social worker, complete medical work including lab tests, an abdominal ultrasound, psychological clearance, a colonoscopy, an EKG, "and a number of other tests."
Of course, anybody who needs an new organ to survive would go through such an ordeal over and over again. Most just can't afford to. Their insurance companies only cover one listing because getting listed is very expensive.

Raistlin

I'm pretty sure he didn't circumvent anything to get his liver ... he simply went to a country that has different rules :p

On a serious note, to the people saying he's just another businessman ... lol. I don't necessarily like his persona, nay even most Apple products, but to say something like that one would require a total lack of historical context and knowledge of his actual position and duties at the company.

BobTheFork said:

The Apple-haters never stop their FUD campaign, Bob. And that's all it is... more baseless, tiresome, anti-Apple FUD.

Jobs and his doctor have been perfectly-honest about what he went through to get his transplant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-steve-jobs-got-sick-2010-04

For better or worse, I think it's kinda common that people seem to care more about people who have made significant contributions that have made ripples of influence on the world or the cultural landscape, than more anonymous, or more ordinary people.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I find it's fairly common. I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "odd."

Mael

Raistlin said:
On a serious note, to the people saying he's just another businessman ... lol. I don't necessarily like his persona, nay even most Apple products, but to say something like that one would require a total lack of historical context and knowledge of his actual position and duties at the company.

At the end of the day it's still just another businessman, I mean unless you believe they're all some kind of vampire or something.
He's very successful and can have the right vision for his company or something but seriously still doesn't make him anything more than a businessman.

Mael said:
At the end of the day it's still just another businessman, I mean unless you believe they're all some kind of vampire or something.
He's very successful and can have the right vision for his company or something but seriously still doesn't make him anything more than a businessman.

That's truly like saying "at the end of the day, Michael Jackson is still just another entertainer."

It's true, sure...but it's missing almost all valuable context.

Mael

Pristine_Condition said:
That's truly like saying "at the end of the day, Michael Jackson is still just another entertainer."

It's true, sure...but it's missing almost all valuable context.

yeah, no.
If SJ dies tomorrow if the people at Apple are not morons they can still provide the products people go nut for here (which means that before they were indeed driven by morons).
He's certainly not the guy the hardest to replace if things go wrong.

MJ on the other hand, he made music.
Without him you can't have new music from him. It's that simple, especially since MJ's shows where quite a bit of the reason he was successful to begin with (and I mean when he was on stage).

Apple will certainly not fold if he leaves, unless SJ is a moron and never prepared anyone to take his place and the board is made of monkeys that only SJ knows how to tame.
Let's not go overboard and claim he's Van Neuman or something.

Mael said:
yeah, no.
If SJ dies tomorrow if the people at Apple are not morons they can still provide the products people go nut for here (which means that before they were indeed driven by morons).

Without him you can't have new music from him. It's that simple, especially since MJ's shows where quite a bit of the reason he was successful to begin with (and I mean when he was on stage).

Apple will certainly not fold if he leaves, unless SJ is a moron and never prepared anyone to take his place and the board is made of monkeys that only SJ knows how to tame.
You have to be a troll. No way you dismiss Jobs' general impact as a visionary at that company and what that has meant. How old are you? Did you live through the Jobs-less 90s Apple? Do you really thing Apple would even still be here had he not returned?

Visionaries don't grow on fucking trees just like brilliant artists don't.

Tobor said:
He's far more important than that, and will be seen by history accordingly.

StuBurns said:
Steve Jobs is absolutely responsible for the iPhone, it is the greatest piece of consumer electronics ever made. He has literally changed the world for the better. He hasn't cured aids, or freed a nation, but he has made a hugely significant impact.

really?

LCfiner

Mael said:
yeah, no.

You're seemingly forgetting that the man is as impotant for what he did, not just what he could do. He was a driving force in bringing many important technologies to the public at large. personal computers, the GUI, legal digital music downloads, the consumer focussed smartphone/ mobile computer and now the ipad/ general purpose tablet.

Plus he bought Pixar and gave them the creative freedom and money to create an amazing studio.

The guy could die tomorrow and his legacy in the tech and entertainment world would be undeniable.

mrkgoo

Mael said:
I really don't want to sound like some fanboy, but I don't think he's 'just another businessman'. Technology is shaping the course of society, and Steve jobs founded and headed a company responsible for steering technology in that direction. If you cannot see that contribution, then I don't know what to say. You could argue that if he didn't then someone else would have, or that the tech-scape would simply be different (maybe better, or just different), but that doesn't lessen how significant Steve jobs has been.

It's like saying Einstein was just another scientist, or bill gates was just another busisnessman. You don't need imagination to see that certain figures have simply been more influential in their time than others in the field. Yes, he made a lot of money, but while lots of 'other businessmen' also made a lot of money, only a fraction of them can say they have steered that field.

numble

3SVBI.gif

X756f.jpg

Not completely directly related since one graph is total cash and the other graph is stock price.

I think Apple will do fine, but Jobs had a big hand in introducing game-changers like iPod+iTunes Store (currently highest selling music store), iPhone and iPad.

Mael

Dreams-Visions said:
You have to be a troll. No way you dismiss Jobs' general impact as a visionary at that company and what that has meant. How old are you? Did you live through the Jobs-less 90s Apple? Do you really thing Apple would even still be here had he not returned?

Visionaries don't grow on fucking trees just like brilliant artists don't.

Awesome I guess that's why I hate Apple fans, if we don't build a fucking statue for everything done by the one and only GOD you resort to name calling.

I was there thank you during the times that Apple's board was run by monkeys thank you.
You have to be fucking nuts to think that Apple CANNOT survive without him in the position they are now.

Seriously look at the assets and the people they have now, they certainly can stay the course better than MSFT did with losing Gates (no growth at all, investments in useless stuffs while leaving possible growth to other companies).

Seriously I may be a bit naive here but seriously if their mission statement is clear enough there's no reason for them to decline the way they did in the 90's (especially since their position then and now are nothing alike).

mrkgoo said:
I really don't want to sound like some fanboy, but I don't think he's 'just another businessman'. Technology is shaping the course of society, and Steve jobs founded and headed a company responsible for steering technology in that direction. If you cannot see that contribution, then I don't know what to say. You could argue that if he didn't then someone else would have, or that the tech-scape would simply be different (maybe better, or just different), but that doesn't lessen how significant Steve jobs has been.

It's like saying Einstein was just another scientist, or bill gates was just another busisnessman. You don't need imagination to see that certain figures have simply been more influential in their time than others in the field. Yes, he made a lot of money, but while lots of 'other businessmen' also made a lot of money, only a fraction of them can say they have steered that field.
Correct.

LM4sure

Banned
Tobor said:
Wow, you're really a prognosticator. Anyone with an Etrade account knew it would be down. Their quarterly earnings are going to be huge later today. Let's see what happens then.

It was common sense. I follow the market. It doesn't take an equity analyst to figure out it would take a big hit.

Don't doubt me.

giga

AAPL only down 2.5% right now in New York. Not bad compared to the thrashing it got on int’l markets yesterday. (6-9%)

dream

crazy monkey said:

It's definitely one of them. Even if you're not a fan of the iPhone, you have to admit it changed smartphones for the better and helped move us along to this post-PC world we're in.

I mean, shit, do you remember what smartphones looked like in 2007? Motorola's flagship phone was the Moto Q and HTC was making Treo knockoffs.

numble

Mael said:
Awesome I guess that's why I hate Apple fans, if we don't build a fucking statue for everything done by the one and only GOD you resort to name calling.

I was there thank you during the times that Apple's board was run by monkeys thank you.
You have to be fucking nuts to think that Apple CANNOT survive without him in the position they are now.

Seriously look at the assets and the people they have now, they certainly can stay the course better than MSFT did with losing Gates (no growth at all, investments in useless stuffs while leaving possible growth to other companies).

Seriously I may be a bit naive here but seriously if their mission statement is clear enough there's no reason for them to decline the way they did in the 90's (especially since their position then and now are nothing alike).
Nobody is really arguing that Apple will go down, but that Jobs was important in getting Apple to the position that it is in now, and shaping its mission statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom