• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

This show is so heavy. Crazy how it goes from fun fun fun to more serious than a sitcom in less than 60 seconds. This show needs more exposure.

For a moment I thought Amy and Greg had a thing for each other. But I guess they were great friends until Rose and Greg hit it off. Poor Amy. My favorite screwed up gem.

Pretty sure the first Lemon Grab is dead.....he was pretty major. Not sure if he came back or not though.
He had an episode dedicated to him last week (or the week before). He's still around. Technically, Prismo died.

Trago

This show is so heavy. Crazy how it goes from fun fun fun to more serious than a sitcom in less than 60 seconds. This show needs more exposure.

For a moment I thought Amy and Greg had a thing for each other. But I guess they were great friends until Rose and Greg hit it off. Poor Amy. My favorite screwed up gem.

This show needs flashback episodes STAT.

ffdgh

Dark moment aside, It's good to see Greg get more screen time with Steven after he sorta disappeared for a few episodes.

Leonel

Neo Member
Amethyst definitely still has feelings for Greg, she even started tearing up when Greg mentioned "his son." Rose just beat her to the punch. I have a feeling ep. 48 is going to be another tear-jerker.

Also, that new Steven power, man! He can control wavelengths now?!

Epcott

Damn, I need to watch the show from the start. I randomly caught this episode and if the whole show is like this I'm missing out.

I described it to a friend as Scott Pilgrim meets Mega Man, and even that was inaccurate. I don't know how to describe it... An indie-movie presented as an anime homage?

I don't know if Amethyst has romantic feelings for Greg, but it definitely feels like they were super close before Greg started hanging out with Rose and they got together. Imho it was incredibly messed up when
she transformed into Rose
but at least it looked like she felt bad about it at the end.

Amethyst blushing could simply be out of embarrassment and/or reconnecting with an old friend. It might be a silly to say but with the show creator being a woman I have higher hopes in terms of them being able to make multiple layers to men and women having a relationship without the necessity for romance. Except for Steven and his bu, they're too good together.

rexor0717

Fantastic episode, a lot of emotion in this one. I can't really lock down Greg and Amethyst's relationship, but I don't think it was a romantic one. Rose was probably the one that found her or spared her in the past so I can understand her repressed resentment towards Greg. Its all much more complex than I was expecting, but I really shouldn't be surprised with the quality of the show.

Fantastic episode, a lot of emotion in this one. I can't really lock down Greg and Amethyst's relationship, but I don't think it was a romantic one. Rose was probably the one that found her or spared her in the past so I can understand her repressed resentment towards Greg. Its all much more complex than I was expecting, but I really shouldn't be surprised with the quality of the show.

What makes you think she expressed resentment towards Greg? Everything in the episode seems to have pointed out that
her and greg used to be great friends always watching tv and being slobs and then Rose 'took him away' from Amethyst and she always held a bit of resentment towards Rose for that. Even the final culmination was her getting angry that Greg never changed for Amethyst but that he always did things for Rose

vypek

That episode got weird fast. lol. Pretty cool. It seems like Amethyst is upset
about Greg taking away Rose Quartz as well as being upset at Rose Quartz for taking away her friend.
Really can't tell if its supposed to be a romantic connection that didn't come to fruition. Kind of felt like it was meant to
when Amethyst turned into Rose. Like she was trying to make him stay by becoming someone he missed.

Also, Rose Quartz seems really big. Like 7.5 feet tall.

tkscz

BdSOvWa.gif

Did you feel that? The shippers are coming.

Seriously, I know it's said
that they were just friends in the episode, but that tension between the two is something I usually see from two exs who tried to get along after one of them dated the others friend. Also, that innuendo at the beginning.

rexor0717

What makes you think she expressed resentment towards Greg? Everything in the episode seems to have pointed out that
her and greg used to be great friends always watching tv and being slobs and then Rose 'took him away' from Amethyst and she always held a bit of resentment towards Rose for that. Even the final culmination was her getting angry that Greg never changed for Amethyst but that he always did things for Rose

Didn't she yell out at Greg for taking Rose away from her? She said "I used to always have someone there for me until she started hanging out with you!" I take that as her having a problem with Greg, not Rose due to her emphasis on the "you".

Hamlet

Great episode. It's such a a roller coaster at times watching this show, all happy at one moment then bam you get hit with some pretty dark stuff. That quite dark what Amethyst did to Greg teasing him with his dead wife. Also it was quite cute how dedicated Steven was to keeping to his TV ban.

LOL "I've seen your junk before."
Heh oh Amethyst.

Kangi

The dark turns these episodes take always get me, even though it shouldn't surprise me anymore. After something as silly as So Many Birthdays turned into a horrorfest, anything can.

I like the little glimpses we get of Steven's powers whenever he's emotional. I wonder if whatever he did is related to Garnet's electrical ability shown in Arcade Mania. Also, I appreciate Peedee showing up again instead of another Ronaldo appearance; I feel like there's some unexplored potential in his and Steven's friendship that's been dormant while the other friends (Connie, Sadie, Lars) get more focus.

Didn't she yell out at Greg for taking Rose away from her? She said "I used to always have someone there for me until she started hanging out with you!" I take that as her having a problem with Greg, not Rose due to her emphasis on the "you".

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the 'you' and reading it wrong imho.

You forget that Pearl and Garnet tell Steven that Amethyst and Greg used to watch that show and hang out all the time like couch potatoes until something happened that they don't remember. I don't know how else to read this other than Greg and Amethyst used to be best buds until Greg started to date Rose. This is an issue many close friends face when one of them gets an SO.

Amethyst also transforms into Rose to get a reaction out of Greg and Greg says that he wants to be friends again but that shit like this keeps him away.

I got chills when Amethyst
turned into Rose
. This episode makes me really think that
Amethyst probably shape shifted into Rose to comfort Greg while they were bonding over Lil Butler and Lil B has got to be Greg's way to get over the loss of Rose back then. Greg probably realized having Amethyst 'replacing' Rose was a bad idea and thats what ended the Lil B marathon.
I really do like it when SU gives sneak peeks to either the past or future.

Also, Lil Butler's theme is catchy and Pee Dee probably referencing Brick from The Middle.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the 'you' and reading it wrong imho.

You forget that Pearl and Garnet tell Steven that Amethyst and Greg used to watch that show and hang out all the time like couch potatoes until something happened that they don't remember. I don't know how else to read this other than Greg and Amethyst used to be best buds until Greg started to date Rose. This is an issue many close friends face when one of them gets an SO.

Amethyst also transforms into Rose to get a reaction out of Greg and Greg says that he wants to be friends again but that shit like this keeps him away.

Greg said that they watched Lil Butler when Steven was really young, so Amy and Greg hanging out happened after Rose was already gone. I think rexor0717 was right, it wasn't Amy having resentment for Rose, she has resentment for Greg, a little anyways. It seems like Rose was the one Amy confided in but stopped doing it as much when she started seeing Greg.

Ah. I can see why we have two sides debating this. Still seems like she did have a lot in common with Greg with this show. Maybe he decided to be more responsible when Steven was born and she resented him for never doing things for her but changing for Steven and Rose? If not the comment of Pearl and Garnet seems weird unless there really was something weird that happened post-Rose between Greg and Amethyst.

Regardless, I'll have my answers later.

tkscz

I agree, a lot of things hint that there was something between Greg and Amethyst, but Greg's feelings for Rose made Ame jealous. When Greg gets sad about the picture frame at the beginning, the look on Ame's face is obvious envy. Pearl explains to Steven that they were close but something got in the way. Greg's reaction and saying "he can't do this again" but still wanting to be friends, hell, Ame turning into Rose. All this concludes that Ame is more soar over losing Greg than Rose. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for her follow up to "I had someone who was always there for me until she started hanging out with you" with "I bet you'd stay for her". That is Envy of Greg being with Rose.

However, I don't think it was while Greg and Rose were together, as Greg tells Steven that he and Ame watch them when he was little, meaning that when they watched them, Steven was already born and Rose was already gone. This leads me to believe that what Greg and Ame had was more than just friendship,
(I've seen your junk before)
but that Greg realizes his feelings for Rose can't be replaced by someone else, and when he tried to walk out on her, she transformed into Rose, which only worsen things (why Greg doesn't like transformations).

I agree, a lot of things hint that there was something between Greg and Amethyst, but Greg's feelings for Rose made Ame jealous. When Greg gets sad about the picture frame at the beginning, the look on Ame's face is obvious envy. Pearl explains to Steven that they were close but something got in the way. Greg's reaction and saying "he can't do this again" but still wanting to be friends, hell, Ame turning into Rose. All this concludes that Ame is more soar over losing Greg than Rose. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for her follow up to "I had someone who was always there for me until she started hanging out with you" with "I bet you'd stay for her". That is Envy of Greg being with Rose.

However, I don't think it was while Greg and Rose were together, as Greg tells Steven that he and Ame watch them when he was little, meaning that when they watched them, Steven was already born and Rose was already gone. This leads me to believe that what Greg and Ame had was more than just friendship,
(I've seen your junk before)
but that Greg realizes his feelings for Rose can't be replaced by someone else, and when he tried to walk out on her, she transformed into Rose, which only worsen things (why Greg doesn't like transformations).

damn. If Amethyst was a sort of really sad rebound then that adds another layer to the relationships in this show.

jwk94

I assumed it meant he watched with Amy, then got with Rose so Amy was out of the picture and when Steven came along, instead of hanging with Amy again, he watched the show with Steven?

Kangi

My interpretation was that Rose and Amy were very close, but Rose fell in love with Greg and Amy and she drifted apart. After Rose's death, Amy and Greg connected and spent time with each other amongst their grieving. They watched Lil' Butler while Steven was little, but something happened (maybe related to Amy transforming into Rose, hence his stated discomfort with transformations and Amy's blushing when he mentions as such) and they stopped spending any time together. "I want to be friends again, I really do, but I can't let you do this to me again."

KiN0

It could be that Amy is angry at both Greg and Rose. When the two of them got together, she basically lost two friends at once.

KiN0

You know, I have to wonder how much of the gem's affections for steven come from loyalty to rose. Based on this episode and a few remarks from pearl, I get the feeling that there might be a very slight resentment towards him considering the fact that he's basically the reason Rose is gone.

You know, I have to wonder how much of the gem's affections for steven come from loyalty to rose. Based on this episode and a few remarks from pearl, I get the feeling that there might be a very slight resentment towards him considering the fact that he's basically the reason Rose is gone.

Seems like Amethyst might have slight resentment towards him but not anything major as they still have fun and usually she doesn't let emotions take over. Garnet seems too stoic and professional to hold a grudge against a child. And it'd take a LOT to convince me that Pearl doesn't absolutely adore Steven in like an obsessive older/young sibling fashion. Out of all the gems I'd argue that Pearl and Steven have the closest relationship.

edit:

@Hamlet below: well looks like I was wrong.

rexor0717

I don't know if they have any resentment towards Steven, but I'd imagine they have some feelings about him that they can't really express to him due to his age/emotional maturity. It'll be interesting to see them tackle how Rose leaving really affected the group.

KiN0

Seems like Amethyst might have slight resentment towards him but not anything major as they still have fun and usually she doesn't let emotions take over. Garnet seems too stoic and professional to hold a grudge against a child. And it'd take a LOT to convince me that Pearl doesn't absolutely adore Steven in like an obsessive older/young sibling fashion. Out of all the gems I'd argue that Pearl and Steven have the closest relationship.

edit:

@Hamlet below: well looks like I was wrong.

I feel like Pearl clings to steven as if he were some kind of security blanket rather than a little brother. Like, on one hand she might hate him because he "took" rose but on the other hand, he's all that's left of rose to cherish. I'm just throwing ideas around. Part of me is hoping for a massive fallout between the gems and steven in which they force him to realize that he's the reason his mother is gone.

I feel like Pearl clings to steven as if he was a security blanket rather than a little brother. Like, on one hand she might hate him because on one hand he took rose but on the other hand, he's all that's left of rose to cherish. I'm just throwing ideas around. Part of me is hoping for a massive fallout between the gems and steven in which they force him to realize that he's the reason his mother is gone.

god damn you want the show to get even darker lol

I don't want a fallout between the gems and Steven as frankly it'd be EXTREMELY childish for anybody to blame a child for the death of his mother which he constantly expresses how sad he is he never got to meet.

But if we're talking about cheesy shit we want to happen.... Pearl getting corrupted and turning evil for an episode or two I'd like. We've already seen how stressed and unstable she has gotten before. She put Steven at a huge risk in the spaceship episode for her own selfish desires.

I do want that moment just so there's a chance of Steven having to manifest more of his powers to bring her back.

KiN0

god damn you want the show to get even darker lol

I don't want a fallout between the gems and Steven as frankly it'd be EXTREMELY childish for anybody to blame a child for the death of his mother which he constantly expresses how sad he is he never got to meet.

But if we're talking about cheesy shit we want to happen.... Pearl getting corrupted and turning evil for an episode or two I'd like. We've already seen how stressed and unstable she has gotten before. She put Steven at a huge risk in the spaceship episode for her own selfish desires.

I do want that moment just so there's a chance of Steven having to manifest more of his powers to bring her back.

I'm pretty sure something bad is gonna happen to pearl. She's clearly the most unstable of the gems so who knows, she might just end up being the first corrupted gem steven heals.

As for my own personal wish, that probably won't happen and the show is better for it. I just happen to have a taste for melodrama. Still, I'm sure we'll get an episode that shows steven dealing with some kind of survivor's guilt.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With what has been revealed about Amethyst's past so far, I would venture that she is the most immature of the gems in both experience and emotions. Since they're really kind of ageless, she's like a child (emotionally) in an adult body.

She is still figuring out how to relate to people and not cross boundaries. Not even sure what various kinds of relationships mean; I couldn't help but feel her
turning into Rose
was a pure impulse, done to taunt Greg in the same way she taunts everyone she is momentarily petulant with. She honestly didn't realize how wrong it was and only figured it out when Steven saw it.

If we finally get backstory, I'm really curious to see 1. how Greg the traveling musician met a team of Space Hero Ladies and 2. if he had friend-level relations to them before actually falling in love with Rose.

I'd remarked to someone that one of the darkest parts of the show is how Greg comes across as a very hurt, even damaged person, in plain sight. He is living out of a van apart from his own son, staying away from the people who it is becoming clear used to be family. I'd originally thought the show was just going to use Greg as the simple cliche of a goofy, irresponsible hippy dad. But here we are, and all the characters are getting rather fleshed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom