• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Welp, this is why I don't like speculating. Way off on this one, lol.

I'm not sure what to make of this episode. We need more context, and it seems like we might get it soon. Also, the video being disrupted when Steven saw Rosemethyst seems like something important.

Talking about some fucked up shit: So Lil' Butler was like a child servant or something? They receive him as a little bundle on their doorstop, and because he has the Mr. Pennybags look down pat (just missing the top hat) they immediately make him their butler, despite him sounding like a 6 year-old?

KiN0

With what has been revealed about Amethyst's past so far, I would venture that she is the most immature of the gems in both experience and emotions. Since they're really kind of ageless, she's like a child (emotionally) in an adult body.

She is still figuring out how to relate to people and not cross boundaries. Not even sure what various kinds of relationships mean; I couldn't help but feel her
turning into Rose
was a pure impulse, done to taunt Greg in the same way she taunts everyone she is momentarily petulant with. She honestly didn't realize how wrong it was and only figured it out when Steven saw it.

If we finally get backstory, I'm really curious to see 1. how Greg the traveling musician met a team of Space Hero Ladies and 2. if he had friend-level relations to them before actually falling in love with Rose.

I'd remarked to someone that one of the darkest parts of the show is how Greg comes across as a very hurt, even damaged person, in plain sight. He is living out of a van apart from his own son, staying away from the people who it is becoming clear used to be family. I'd originally thought the show was just going to use Greg as the simple cliche of a goofy, irresponsible hippy dad. But here we are, and all the characters are getting rather fleshed out.
The episode suggests that Amy has transformed into rose in the past as a way of taunting greg so she clearly knew she was hurting him.

My theory is that she turned to greg for support after rose passed but he pushed her away since he was also dealing with rose's death in his own way. In retaliation, Amy transformed into rose out of spite towards his selfishness. This would be the event that drove the wedge between her and greg.

vypek

Welp, this is why I don't like speculating. Way off on this one, lol.

I'm not sure what to make of this episode. We need more context, and it seems like we might get it soon. Also, the video being disrupted when Steven saw Rosemethyst seems like something important.

Talking about some fucked up shit: So Lil' Butler was like a child servant or something? They receive him as a little bundle on their doorstop, and because he has the Mr. Pennybags look down pat (just missing the top hat) they immediately make him their butler, despite him sounding like a 6 year-old?

I couldnt tell if Lil' Butler was supposed to be a small man being swaddled or a toddler that went into child labor. lol, still not sure what its meant to be. The voice makes it seems like a child though.

With what has been revealed about Amethyst's past so far, I would venture that she is the most immature of the gems in both experience and emotions. Since they're really kind of ageless, she's like a child (emotionally) in an adult body.

She is still figuring out how to relate to people and not cross boundaries. Not even sure what various kinds of relationships mean; I couldn't help but feel her
turning into Rose
was a pure impulse, done to taunt Greg in the same way she taunts everyone she is momentarily petulant with. She honestly didn't realize how wrong it was and only figured it out when Steven saw it.

If we finally get backstory, I'm really curious to see 1. how Greg the traveling musician met a team of Space Hero Ladies and 2. if he had friend-level relations to them before actually falling in love with Rose.

I'd remarked to someone that one of the darkest parts of the show is how Greg comes across as a very hurt, even damaged person, in plain sight. He is living out of a van apart from his own son, staying away from the people who it is becoming clear used to be family. I'd originally thought the show was just going to use Greg as the simple cliche of a goofy, irresponsible hippy dad. But here we are, and all the characters are getting rather fleshed out.

Agreed. Greg's reluctance to deal with the Gems is probably partially due to the pain of losing Rose, and somehow feeling at least partially responsible, even if it was her choice.

It definitely has affected his relationship with Steven, even though it's getting better. He's usually great with Steven, but there have been moments when Steven starts to manifest his Gem powers and you can seen Greg struggling not to freak out.

Damn, I'm starting to think the entire cast is damaged emotionally in some way. Except for Steven. Even Connie had some existential angst in her first episode.

Thanks. I'm thinking back on how lapis lazuli was cracked and healed and just went home but others are enemies.

I think it's more than cracking. Cracked gems like Lapis and Amy were confused to varying degrees, but they weren't monstrous. Plus, the gems they get from the monsters are not cracked.

There has be some corruption behind it. Was it something the Gems did when they prevented the Home World from using the Earth as a breeding ground? There were hundreds of birthing holes at the Kindergarten. How do three Gems defeat that many fellow gems?

Considering how dark the show has gotten at times, I'm prepared for anything.

Psxphile

Two incredibly-brief promos for "Marble Madness":

Promo #1

Promo #2

Returning to Kindergarten, in an episode where "another droid from space" is meant to appear... if it's Peridot's, it might be there to fix something.

vypek

I think it's more than cracking. Cracked gems like Lapis and Amy were confused to varying degrees, but they weren't monstrous. Plus, the gems they get from the monsters are not cracked.

There has be some corruption behind it. Was it something the Gems did when they prevented the Home World from using the Earth as a breeding ground? There were hundreds of birthing holes at the Kindergarten. How do three Gems defeat that many fellow gems?

Considering how dark the show has gotten at times, I'm prepared for anything.

You're right. I'm really curious what causes the corruption. They've got a really great story going on. Really interested in how the gems are traitors, gem corruption, the homeworld. Lapis told Steven not to trust them but it definitely seems that the homeworld gems are pretty bad.

Psxphile

tumblr_nkemgxnShv1rkauwdo1_540.gif

WHY ARE YOU EVEN EMBARRASSED

It could be that Amy is angry at both Greg and Rose. When the two of them got together, she basically lost two friends at once.
Yeah This is what i got.

Amy had Rose as a mother figure and Greg and a best friend. But due to Greg and Rose's relationship, she lost both her mother and friend and she understandably a little sour about that.

On a side note, that was the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching a cartoon. What a better sweet relationship Greg and Amy have.

Amethyst was a JERK. Wow!

I think we need to remember that Amethyst is essentially a child/teenager herself in Gem terms. In a lot of ways Steven is much more mature then Amethyst is. Notice how he was trying to adhere to his ridiculous 1000 year TV band even with two of his parental figures were willing to disregard it.

Amethyst emotional immaturity makes total sense now that we know more about her background. Now we also know that she has Abandonment issues. Losing Rose, her Mentor/Mother figure and losing Greg a one time best friend. Also seeing has how she was Alone at Kindergarten for so long until Rose found her, it's a safe bet to think she may have been rejected by the home world Gems. No wonder she lives in a giant junk pile and refuses to throw anything away like she's been.

In the last few episodes Amethyst has gone from my lest liked Gem into one of the most interesting characters on the show to me.

KiN0

my favorite is Pearl. She watched Steven sleep.there is nothing more hilariously creepy than that
Mine too. She was a little annoying in the beginning but the writers have done an excellent job of showing us why she acts the way she does,

Right now my character ranking goes:

Pearl>Greg>Steven>Garnet>Amy

Although, lapis has my favorite design of the show so far.

Psxphile

Just sounds like a joke Amethyst would make. Greg says she's always trying to make him uncomfortable... she saw an opportunity and she took it. I doubt it had meaning beyond that.

rexor0717

Just sounds like a joke Amethyst would make. Greg says she's always trying to make him uncomfortable... she saw an opportunity and she took it. I doubt it had meaning beyond that.

Oh for sure, in context of the show. But they obviously knew what they were saying.

Tuck

Steven Universe - Tiger Mania
Pretty cheesey towards the end, but a good episode. Some nice character development.

Show has a surprising amount of action/exciting moments.

I do kind of wish Steven didn't sound like he was yelling all the time, cause it gets a bit hard to listen to over extended periods, but I guess thats part of his character.

ugh, a week ago I had no idea this existed and now I've seen all the episodes and desperately crave more :(

I miss being able to watch 10 episodes a day. 11 minutes a week just feels so.... impossible. Halp me GAF, teach me how to be strong in the real way.

rexor0717

Steven Universe - Tiger Mania
Pretty cheesey towards the end, but a good episode. Some nice character development.

Show has a surprising amount of action/exciting moments.

I do kind of wish Steven didn't sound like he was yelling all the time, cause it gets a bit hard to listen to over extended periods, but I guess thats part of his character.

The fact that you're already enjoying these episodes is a sign that you'll be really impressed with the later half of the season. It gets heavy.

Kangi

ugh, a week ago I had no idea this existed and now I've seen all the episodes and desperately crave more :(

I miss being able to watch 10 episodes a day. 11 minutes a week just feels so.... impossible. Halp me GAF, teach me how to be strong in the real way.

Welcome to my life. I don't know how many more times I can possibly rewatch these episodes.

One of usssssss...

I think the word is starting to spread about how good SU is. The thread has gotten busier and busier every week.

I recommend just rewatching and looking for all of the foreshadowing they do in this show. For example, Amethyst Purple Puma's form was teased in the Cat Finger episode. Cool stuff.

That or a show that I recommend of the same level as SU would be Gravity Falls. Season 1's done and season 2 is in the process, a painfully slow process what with the wonky schedule.

Or try watching Uncle Grandpa for the inevitable crossover.

I recommend just rewatching and looking for all of the foreshadowing they do in this show. For example, Amethyst Purple Puma's form was teased in the Cat Finger episode. Cool stuff.

That or a show that I recommend of the same level as SU would be Gravity Falls. Season 1's done and season 2 is in the process, a painfully slow process what with the wonky schedule.

Or try watching Uncle Grandpa for the inevitable crossover.

I've already seen Gravity Falls, and their release schedule is ridonkulous. And yeah i'll probably rewatch all the episodes. I actually liked the earlier ones, which most people don't it seems.

I've already seen Gravity Falls, and their release schedule is ridonkulous. And yeah i'll probably rewatch all the episodes. I actually liked the earlier ones, which most people don't it seems.

No doubt, sucks for Alex and his crew. Count me as one who didn't like the earlier parts, ep 1 to 4 specifically. Thankfully curiosity got the best of me and now, huge fan of the show. More people really need to watch SU.

vypek

Been watching weekly but I want to rewatch episodes. is there a place to watch high quality episodes? Preferrably hd

Amir0x

Banned

I usually wait until a shit ton of episodes accumulate because 11 minutes a week is too small to really get a narrative connection going for me.

When I watch over long periods of time, I get a better sense of the overall plot and connections and it all vibes better.

I've still got the last four episodes to watch now, I think that's how many new episodes I've accumulated that I've yet to watch. I'm kind of trying to wait til the season ends now. Steven Universe is a charming and heartfelt show, but I don't think it's the type that really works as well in 11 minute chunks. Wish it was a 22 minute show weekly.

Psxphile

A still from "Marble Madness". Is that
a giant robonoid?

EDIT: Promo #3.

Well that answers that question.

Been watching weekly but I want to rewatch episodes. is there a place to watch high quality episodes? Preferrably hd

Legally? iTunes, Amazon Instant. You're not likely to find full-length episodes on Youtube because they get taken down before long (I think). There *are* streaming sites that host episodes but I don't think I can link those here. Pretty sure that's frowned upon.

Hamlet

a giant robonoid?

Legally? iTunes, Amazon Instant. You're not likely to find full-length episodes on Youtube because they get taken down before long (I think). There *are* streaming sites that host episodes but I don't think I can link those here. Pretty sure that's frowned upon.

Hmm looks like it. Guess it might have also sprayed all over Amethyst from what that second promo shows.
Ha well that promo answers it. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

vypek

a giant robonoid?

EDIT: Promo #3.

Well that answers that question.

Thanks. I'll use Amazon instant :)

Hm. Just noticed they have some incorrect labels for seasons. maybe itunes is worth a shot. Hopefully more places will have a legal place to watch

Psxphile

tumblr_inline_nkffkpovPl1qzu8ct.png

That was a pretty sweet jacket.

EDIT: now that I've had a chance to watch a rerun of Maximum Capacity I think I can better understand what's happening between Greg and Amethyst. And it starts with how she worded her reaction to Greg leaving to join his son: "What about me, huh? I had someone who was always there for me until she started hanging out with you!" By which she means Rose Quartz, implying that Ame was very close to Rose and felt like she was being abandoned when Rose fell in love with Greg. A selfish feeling, but one that fits someone who had no one else to latch onto. It also suggests that Rose was the only one who humored Amethyst and understood her, implying Pearl and Garnet did not.

Afterwards, the sequence of events was something like this:

-Steven is born, Rose disappears.
-eventually, to get over their grief Greg and Amethyst become addicted to watching Lil' Butler along w/ little Steven and bond.
-At some point Greg tries to break away in order to move on with his life (perhaps to be a better father to Steven).
-Amethyst tries to guilt him back into it. She probably felt she was being abandoned again.
-Does something reprehensible via shapeshifting.
-they stop hanging out altogether.
-years later, Greg and Amethyst fall back into watching Lil' Butler.
-Greg realizes he's neglecting his son, tries to break away again.
-Ame tries to keep him from leaving (her) again, but is incensed when she's rebuffed.
-She lashes out, shifting into Rose Quartz despite his reservations in order to hurt him.
-Steven stops it before it goes any further, and admonishes them both for not letting go of their pasts.

Something like that. I think I got it right. All Greg was to Amethyst was a replacement for Rose, since they were the only ones who allowed her to be herself.

rexor0717

I watched an episode of Uncle Grandpa to see what all the fuss is about. How on earth will that episode be any good? That show is just random shit.

I watched an episode of Uncle Grandpa to see what all the fuss is about. How on earth will that episode be any good? That show is just random shit.

it really is an extremely weird crossover. They're completely different shows in tone, to the point that they'll have to make caricature versions of the Steven Universe cast to fit in with Uncle Grandpa. Amethyst is the only one that has a chance to somewhat fit in naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom