• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

I didn't see anything to even imply that Connie is Peridot.

tumblr_oc4ku48H8S1s80qmvo4_400.gif

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Steven's voice has become way too "kiddish" recently, hasn't it?

I remember him having a goofier voice in the first few seasons. I wonder if it's because the actor's voice changed and he over adjusted.

zulux21

Steven's voice has become way too "kiddish" recently, hasn't it?

I remember him having a goofier voice in the first few seasons. I wonder if it's because the actor's voice changed and he over adjusted.

really it depends on the episode.
some episodes he sounds a lot more kiddish, others he sounds more adultish.

typically it will be effected by the content being covered.
he tends to sound older in the more serious episodes, while he sounds younger in the more playful episodes.

but that might just be me hearing things.

Psxphile

There's definitely a difference in how Zach pitches his voice in Season 1A episodes and the first half of Season 1B compared to later ones, and it has everything to do with puberty.

One thing I was thinking about: corrupted Gems seem to become the same type of "animal" if they're the same type of gem, but there are still some basic differences depending on the variation of gem type (Biggs vs Ocean Jasper etc.), and based on the individual themselves. Since corruption is rooted in the mind, and it seems like most gems can "unlock" powers when they're taught (easiest examples are probably shapeshifting and weapon summoning), what if their power sets while corrupted also reflect their mental state?

Consider Jaspers: from what we know they're big, lumbering, and loyal soldiers that tend to carry either a begrudging respect towards their opponents or develop superiority complexes towards them. They also seem to favor fairly grounded, linear movement - for example Jasper usually either moving in lunges, charges, or spindashing. This isn't seen as much with Amethyst (she spindashes in an arc sometimes), but let's just say Jaspers specifically then: despite all these (fairly consistent) personality traits, what are the corrupted Jaspers doing when we see them? They're running away. They're trying to avoid confrontation, borderline scampering in fear, and are doing so in unpredictable and animalistic ways. Despite the fact that Jaspers "keep going until they get what they want", the corrupted Jaspers seem to routinely give up and submit (like the Ocean Jasper sitting around in its "cage").

We even see this to some extent with "our" Jasper: she's clearly intelligent and articulate (even if her actual intentions / motivations are misguided), she's literally battle-hardened to the point that she's never even been poofed onscreen unfused, and the animators always put a lot of emphasis on her big eyes and big, individually-defined teeth, to the point that it's basically her introductory trait in the Chille Tid dream sequence.

Yet what does she become when she finds out there's no closure to be had with Rose, reawakens her feelings for Pink Diamond, and feels like a failure who can't keep a fusion partner around? She starts taking on the features of the last Gem she fused with. She loses her eyes completely, her teeth are reduced to a few small fangs and more pronounced canines (note the other corrupted Jaspers all seemed to have large, mostly-consistently-sized teeth), and she's reduced to a big, bloated form that can barely even lumber towards Steven and Amethyst before she gets run through by the broad side of an old, bent-out-of-shape metal rod. This is the same Jasper that tanked a blow from Rose's sword to her helmet that was strong enough to poof the corrupted gem she was riding on. I think she's almost experiencing the converse of what Amethyst did with her insecurities - while Amethyst felt like her "defectiveness" defined her and that she'd never be able to live up to what the ultimate Quartz soldier could be or make up for her origins in the Kindergarten, Jasper is proverbially a diamond in the rough (maybe that's where the shape of her gem comes from?) that was made on Earth with the express purpose of fighting to protect it, only to lose Earth, her diamond, Homeworld's terrestrial colony and most of the fights she's had once she returned to Earth.

While I don't think Jasper will necessarily become a B-team barnmate, I do think she'll probably have a sister "Jasperspective" arc to the "Peridemption" arc. I mean, I feel like Lapis and Jasper essentially represent the logical extreme of far-left and far-right Homeworld ideology, so Jasper at least tolerating the Crystal Gems and getting closure with Rose through Steven but remaining unaffiliated makes sense to me.

The whole point I was bringing this up, though, was regarding the original power set Centipeedle had: what if producing double team / shadow clone babies isn't actually an ability her gems have normally, but manifested itself in her corrupted form because she missed her crew? This show is fucking with my emotions.

Watching this Jasper's corruption thing on CN and I forgot how much of an "event" the season 1 finale felt like. Shit was so great. I wish season 3s finale had as much punch, it just kind of felt like a rehash of season 1 with added lore drops and revelations. The whole pink diamond thing just didn't have as much of an impact on me as jailbreak and there wasn't really a super "cool" moment in the finale (only thing that came close was stevonnie vs jasper, but again that was just another jasper fight)

Watching this Jasper's corruption thing on CN and I forgot how much of an "event" the season 1 finale felt like. Shit was so great. I wish season 3s finale had as much punch, it just kind of felt like a rehash of season 1 with added lore drops and revelations. The whole pink diamond thing just didn't have as much of an impact on me as jailbreak and there wasn't really a super "cool" moment in the finale (only thing that came close was stevonnie vs jasper, but again that was just another jasper fight)

I would say the revelations of Steven being able to fuse with other Gems and Jasper being able to fuse with corrupted Gems (and their associated fight) were basically that big moment for Season 3.

I would say the revelations of Steven being able to fuse with other Gems and Jasper being able to fuse with corrupted Gems (and their associated fight) were basically that big moment for Season 3.

That fight with smokey quartz was way too goofy to be the "big moment" for me. Felt like something out of a Hana Barbara cartoon. And as I said before it was also just another jasper fight as well so the circumstances were a little to similar to be very interesting to me.

Overall this finale was sort of disappointing to me. The Bismuth episode was great though, way better than beta/earthlings IMO. If the "big" fight was similar to that I would probably have a different opinion.

That fight with smokey quartz was way too goofy to be the "big moment" for me. Felt like something out of a Hana Barbara cartoon. And as I said before it was also just another jasper fight as well so the circumstances were a little to similar to be very interesting to me.

Overall this finale was sort of disappointing to me. The Bismuth episode was great though, way better than beta/earthlings IMO. If the "big" fight was similar to that I would probably have a different opinion.

I mean, you could still consider Bismuth to be part of the finale, even if it is relatively self-contained. It rekindles the whole atmosphere regarding Rose and the secrets she kept and the things she did, which is kind of what kicks off the events in the four-parter anyways. And besides, Steven and Amethyst both had serious moments of character development leading to Smoky, but it makes perfect sense that their fusion would be lighthearted and able to take charge in a situation like that. Steven or Amethyst performing a Stronger Than You-type moment wouldn't really gel with where their characters were going, but it made complete sense for someone like Garnet. I think one of the major parallels drawn between the Garnet bomb and the Smoky Quartz bomb is the element of fusion, but with Garnet it's obviously more of a marriage type of love, whereas with Steven and Amethyst it's more of a brother-sister type thing, which I think is important in terms of laying down that distinction relative to the possibilities of fusion.

shoreu

I think Rose Quartz is the reason for the Corrupted gems.

I think the death of Pink Diamond could have been the cause.

I think Rose Quartz is the reason for the Corrupted gems.

I think the death of Pink Diamond could have been the cause.

We've seen that when Rose's shield is hit, it can cause some type of disruptive effect to dispel nearby weapons (e.g. Lapis' water clones in Ocean Gem).

Maybe the original attack was just designed to blow up the planet, but Rose's shield blocked it and the harmonics... corrupted everyone somehow?

zeemumu

The servers are the 7 Chaos Lions.

Chaos is power. Power enriched by the heart

The Quartz is the one that unifies the Chaos.

zeemumu

I've seen Hercules so many times that I keep wishing for Rose's voice to develop one layer of sarcasm to sound like Meg.

blamite

So how did Buddy draw that mural of Rose fighting that diamond (which seems pretty important if it's being brought up again)? Am I misremembering, or wasn't that on the Moon base? I mean I guess there could just be a second one on Earth somewhere but

Probably they just aren't really thinking of wusses based in their position in a season really at this point? Isn't splitting the seasons up the way they are more of a CN decision, hence the change from ridiculously long seasons to 20-ish episode ones? Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I read that somewhere around the beginning of S3? Anyway with the wacky scheduling it kinda doesn't matter as much as it would if there were a bunch of months between the finale and the next episode.

PSqueak

Banned
So how did Buddy draw that mural of Rose fighting that diamond (which seems pretty important if it's being brought up again)? Am I misremembering, or wasn't that on the Moon base? I mean I guess there could just be a second one on Earth somewhere but

No, it wasn't in the moon, it was in the water temple that Steven failed to save that was supposed to be a test.

blamite

No, it wasn't in the moon, it was in the water temple that Steven failed to save that was supposed to be a test.
Ah, cool, that makes way more sense. I think seeing screencaps of itgetting posted around after the latest moon risked made me think that's where it was from, lol

Probably they just aren't really thinking of wusses based in their position in a season really at this point? Isn't splitting the seasons up the way they are more of a CN decision, hence the change from ridiculously long seasons to 20-ish episode ones? Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I read that somewhere around the beginning of S3? Anyway with the wacky scheduling it kinda doesn't matter as much as it would if there were a bunch of months between the finale and the next episode.

The way it's divided, Season 3 opening up with Super Watermelon Island / Gem Drill is actually a pretty brilliant way to set the stage for the rest of the season: it sparks Jasper's new outlook on fusion, covers Steven's ability to resonate with more or less any living thing, and also subtly lays a foundation for Steven having to deal with the repercussions Rose's actions have had on people (the Cluster is made up of Crystal Gem shards, who were shattered due to the war).

Edit: Earthlings spoilers but this is amazing

Opto

Banned
Considering the untouched state the gem sites are in, and that they were documented, it's bizarre no one is conducting massive research on them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
so has this been posted? I surely can't be the first noticing?

lpLVhkE.png

Reivaxe

even when you have it zoomed in I still don't get what I am supposed to be noticing.

a vase with some cracks as art on a book... okay o.o;

Could be a hint or sign that Stevonnie will use Connie's knowledge of Kintsugi to repair or fix forced fusions and/ or shattered gems.

Also interesting that it's two different pots being fused together. Could point more to forced fusions.

Or maybe she could repair broken "MINDS" some way using Kintsugi technics in the dream realm :O????

Or maybe that person was referring to the gaf like look ... idk

PSqueak

Banned
Considering the untouched state the gem sites are in, and that they were documented, it's bizarre no one is conducting massive research on them.

It's possible that gem sites are forbidden for human civilians due to the dangerous nature, remember the area of the temple in beach city used to be fenced with a sign denying humans entry, is likely they eventually relaxed on those rules when Greg began introducing Rose and Amethyst to modern human life.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as humans not exploring gem ruins, Rebecca Sugar said this in an AMA:

"The Earth in the show is an alternate timeline for Earth, with a history that involves Gems... people have a different relationship to supernatural things, they're vaguely aware, but they keep their distance...

When our Gems do their job right, people don't have to know anything is wrong... Our Gems interacting with people is a recent development that has everything to do with Steven."

That goes along with the temple having been fenced off. It sounds like human culture in SU has a deep set phobia about things considered "supernatural". They know these things are real but try to avoid contact. It'd be interesting to see what human scientists think of Gem ruins. It's hard to believe nobody besides Buddy has ever documented the ruins, but perhaps formal study is discouraged by governments and institutions won't fund it.

Harpuia

One thing I'm genuinely curious about is what involvement, if any, humans had during the gem war. Wouldn't the time line for the war have placed it around the stone age or Ice age? Clearly Rose must have interacted with the humans of that Era since she's so adamant about protecting Earth, unless prehistoric life inspired her that much.

I know Greg told steven that there was human loss as part of the war, so that must pin the gem war around the stone or ice age. Maybe even around very early civilization, like the Sumerians...

iosefe

One thing I'm genuinely curious about is what involvement, if any, humans had during the gem war. Wouldn't the time line for the war have placed it around the stone age or Ice age? Clearly Rose must have interacted with the humans of that Era since she's so adamant about protecting Earth, unless prehistoric life inspired her that much.

I know Greg told steven that there was human loss as part of the war, so that must pin the gem war around the stone or ice age. Maybe even around very early civilization, like the Sumerians...

isn't it like 5300 years? so lets scroll back

34th Century BC the plough is developped to increase farming capabilities
-ancient form, related to cunieform script in the Uruk period, as a precourser to writing
-SUmer has been around for almost 200 years
-within a hunder years, the Bronze age is in full swing

in the 33rd Century BC there was a Major climate shift with Glaciers expanding, but to contrast that, the Sahara went from Habitable to Barren

32nd Century brings the rise of the Minoan civilization, as well as the first the first dynasty of Pharaohs in Egypt under Narmer

in the 31st BC, Proper writing has been developed in Mesopotamia and Egypt, Copper is a common ore used in tools and weaponry, drainage and sewage systems are developed, and Egypt is unified under Narmer

and so continues history...

While I sincerely hope they don't go full Halo 4 and reveal that humans used to have advanced technology / an interstellar empire prior to the Gem War or something, I could see the timelines playing out a little differently and humanity having, like, slightly more advanced knowledge of stuff around the Gem War. That being said, considering Steven Universe doesn't exactly shy away to refer to things as being dead / killed, the way Greg says "Gems were destroyed. People too," in The Return, it sounds more like the Gem War took its toll on entire population groups and landmasses akin to extinction events by proxy of the Gems using Earth, rather than Gems specifically targeting humans for political reasons during the war.

It's also worth noting that Pearl refers to pleistocene living - e.g. hunter-gatherers that only needed food, shelter, etc. - something humans could go "back to living like" when she knocks out Beach City's power, so humanity probably was in its social infancy around the time the war started.

I imagine most humans were in their prehistoric stages when gems first landed on earth. I can't exactly say I'd be pleased if it turned out that humans and gems went to war with each other, and that humans used to have advance technology. Just wouldn't fit with the overall current story if you ask me.

iosefe

As I posted earlier, if human civilization pre gem occupation was similar enough to real world civilization forvthat time period, despite the geographical changes evident I. The maps, human would have just developed writing, and we're making and using tools of copper. It's not Neanderthals and the like we're talking about, here

KiN0

so what's the theory so far on the regular colored lions vs current pink lion?

I've seen some people theorize Rose hid pink diamond's shards in one of the regular lion and the shards transformed the lion into pink lion. There's also the one where pink lion is pink diamond's secret corrupted form.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Why does everything have to have a theory behind it. Why can't things just "be"?

Clearly, ███████████████████████████████ and the lions are

████████████████████

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom