• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, seems it was sparked by the shipping war. specifically Amedot shippers fighting lapidot shippers and bringing lauren into it due to her contribution calling little exchanges between amethyst and peri forshadowing, and that is was all just a joke because thigns seems swayed toward lapidot.
https://67.media.tumblr.com/edea8bd51b06fa4741f6070c825165a8/tumblr_obfive9oAC1rk75qmo1_250.png
her final tweets seemed to be mad at episode leakers, as well. i don't blame her.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9146a56fa435141e9958ab53662d4e71/tumblr_inline_obtmeqgRYR1rx2ks6_540.png
This is why I really don't like shipping. I understand why people like it but there will always be those weird as fuck fans who think their ships should dictate the way a show goes or what content a show produces, the worst part is that they can sometimes be large in numbers.

I was a Teen Wolf fan and the shipping stuff that show had going on was awful, it lead to the show turning pretty bad too.

MartyStu

ok, seems it was sparked by the shipping war. specifically Amedot shippers fighting lapidot shippers and bringing lauren into it due to her contribution calling little exchanges between amethyst and peri forshadowing, and that is was all just a joke because thigns seems swayed toward lapidot.
https://67.media.tumblr.com/edea8bd51b06fa4741f6070c825165a8/tumblr_obfive9oAC1rk75qmo1_250.png
her final tweets seemed to be mad at episode leakers, as well. i don't blame her.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9146a56fa435141e9958ab53662d4e71/tumblr_inline_obtmeqgRYR1rx2ks6_540.png

The fuck is this garbage. You mean shippers are actually as crazy as people have joked about? I just assumed most of it was the kind natured fuckery we have had in these threads...

ElFly

do shippers even need to fight

ruby and sapphire are p much the canon-est couple and they still fuse with other people willy nilly

there's enough peridot to go around

PSqueak

Banned
The fuck is this garbage. You mean shippers are actually as crazy as people have joked about? I just assumed most of it was the kind natured fuckery we have had in these threads...

There was even a thread dedicated to an article about how shippers are poisoning fandoms not long ago, but it's fandom behavior in general.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Most fandoms are largely composed of quiet people who don't do anything but consume media and at most post fan art without much commentary. The power of social media though always enables a relative minority of people to dominate the conversation and influence the mood for a community. Once stupid behavior is normalized in public space, more malcontents come out of the woodwork and start some shit. And one problem with this stuff is the paranoia it creates among other fans. Shipping, in this case, is a prime example. It can quickly become mythology that the creators of a show are pandering to one group of fans another group doesn't like, regardless of whether that's true.

In Steven Universe for instance, say that Peridot and Lapis actually develop a relationship. Even if it's done well, even if it was planned long before any controversy over shipping arose, there will now be a contingent of people who swear it was because of the shippers and now the show is ruined forever because it just panders to bad fans.

It's why many creators keep a certain wall between themselves and the fans in the first place. Because of the wars that get started, not just by genuinely bad fans, but by "good" fans who have decided to defend the honor of the work. Which, funny enough, often turns into these "good" fans also telling the creator what is and isn't allowed in their work. There has recently been a trend for creators to interact more openly with fans, on their own level, and that can be great. However I fear a generation of creative types is about to re-learn some harsh lessons, or is in the process of re-learning them now.

MartyStu

There was even a thread dedicated to an article about how shippers are poisoning fandoms not long ago, but it's fandom behavior in general.

Jesus, now I feel dirty for shipping things in passing. Some of these people seem genuinely unhinged...

vypek

Finally watched Know Your Fusion. I kind of liked it.
Loved the joke about cartoon characters getting people to buy products and the royalties for voice acting.
Moreover, I like the
rendition of Opal and Sugilite's "themes"

EDIT: Didn't even remember Garnet can't ask questions

iosefe

I don't even know what shipping means.

shipping, th short form of the verb form of relationship, to pair people into a relationship that you have hopes of happening or or just like thye way the characters interact and imagin situations between them.

tends to cross into fan fiction territy as well.

TheOGB

Banned
The meta jokes were hilarious, and Sardonyx is great (if a bit mean unintentionally). I've really enjoyed the humor of these past two episodes.

upHFQKb.gif

It ain't no fucking joke and it affects most fandoms (Avatar the last Airbender was a prime example in its day)

youthinkitsamotherfuckinggamecat.jpg

Uhhh, instead of going "ARRRrrg, fuck shippers!" I'd like a bit more information.

For example apparently Zuke was on some WoW stream and said that all the CPH show stuff was just a joke and not meant to hint at anything which pissed off some fans who ship Lapis and Peri?

IDK, I really think Sugar has it figured out. She doesn't post shit on her accounts and doesn't have to deal with drama cause no one can drag her into it.

I wonder if Pearl is gonna pull a Little Finger now that fusion with Steven is on the table.
Ewww, no.

But it's clear that everyone's excited that he can fuse with gems.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know, I just realized in Alone at Sea that Lapis punching Jasper away by a fist of water breaking through the boat was her literally sinking their ship.

(Double post unintentional.)

Matsukaze

no but seriously I read the books and watched every season and I don't know what you're talking about
Littlefinger uses Sansa as a surrogate for her mother Catelyn, which is super creepy. Pearl was obsessed with Rose and here's Rose's child.

Not gonna happen in a million years obv.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This probably isn't news to you guys, but I was rewatching season 1 episodes and when Steven heals Lapis' gem he says "No prob, Bob".

She replies back: "It's Lapis".

Bob is the name Lapis used in the baseball game against the Rubies lol.

VariantX

I don't even know what shipping means.

I didn't even know myself until Naruto and Avatar: TLA and Korra. What the hell happened to just enjoying the show and letting story unfold? I dont mind speculation as to what's going happen next in the story and the types of relationships characters have with each other, but there's always a small number of people who take it a bit too far. People get emotionally invested in a single possibility out of what could be an infinite number of possibilities. What's the point of watching for these folks if they've already made up in their mind what's going to happen and any other outcome than the one they want is bullshit?

iosefe

Uhhh, instead of going "ARRRrrg, fuck shippers!" I'd like a bit more information.

For example apparently Zuke was on some WoW stream and said that all the CPH show stuff was just a joke and not meant to hint at anything which pissed off some fans who ship Lapis and Peri?

i wont doubt i'm missing information, just is just what i've been able to gleam from reactions and those picutres of tweets.

things like just usually hang around for a while before culminating

Tarydax

Banned
Shippers sure are a contentious people.

Know Your Fusion was fun. The
fourth wall breaking stuff was great. I never thought they would do something like that and I'm still a bit surprised it worked so well.

zeemumu

I didn't even know myself until Naruto and Avatar: TLA and Korra. What the hell happened to just enjoying the show and letting story unfold? I dont mind speculation as to what's going happen next in the story and the types of relationships characters have with each other, but there's always a small number of people who take it a bit too far. People get emotionally invested in a single possibility out of what could be an infinite number of possibilities. What's the point of watching for these folks if they've already made up in their mind what's going to happen and any other outcome than the one they want is bullshit?

I found out when I watched a flash animation on Sonic Adventure 2. A running gag was that random shippers would cheer whenever something pertaining to their ship happened.

The only thing I can parse from this shipping nonsense is that twitter is to blame. Lauren Zuke got ran off because she had to deal with people she shouldn't have to deal with at all. It's a platform managed by crap people.

Also, I'm LTTP but Smokey Quartz better get some love ITT.

JSevere

Yeah, I feel pretty bad for Lauren. If folks want to pair up fictional characters in their spare time, that's fine, but don't bring the people who make the show into it and harass them over it, it's really not that serious!

Final week of Steven's Summer Adventures ranking:

1. Earthlings: This episode delivered from start to finish. Steven finally fused with another Gem (Smoky Quartz's intro was so exciting!), Jasper's arc finally came to a close (for now?), and we got our first mention of Pink Diamond.
2. Bubbled: Went a long way towards furthering Steven's maturity, between him having to cut Eyeball loose after she tried to kill him, and having to come to terms with his mother shattering a Gem. Not to mention the scene with the CG's reconcilation on the ship, complete with the first in-show use of "Love Like You," being a total tearjerker.
3. Know Your Fusion: Didn't expect Smoky Quartz to be back so soon, and seeing more of Sardonyx is always a treat, especially since they were both given a full episode to shine. Loved all the callbacks and the fourth-wall breaking ("Footage courtesy of Cartoon Network"!)
4. Beta: This was basically a sequel to "Barn Mates," and more Peridot/Lapis roommate shenanigans are always welcome.
5. Kindergarten Kid: Wasn't expecting a homage to old Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons. A lot of Peridot's expressions in this are pure gold.
6. Back to the Moon: Was nice to see the Ruby squad again and get confirmation on what happened to Pink Diamond.

Don't mind being back to a weekly schedule after this, I was happy to take four weeks straight of episodes but I like winding down and consuming them at a slower pace. Can't wait to see more (promo spoilers)
battle Stevonnie!

Also, Sardonyx seems to be more Pearl than anything else.

All fusions share some similarities bewteen the gems they're formed from but not really everything they are.

Opal seems to take her level headedness from Pearl and her attentiveness from Amethyst. They rarely form Opal because Amethyst is rarely attentive, usually only when she's really concerned or fixated (like when Steven is in danger, or she wants to prove herself).

Sugilite takes her badassness from Amethyst and strength from Garnet.

Sardonyx is as theatrical as Pearl and confident as Garnet.

Smoky Quartz is as playful as Steven and as resourceful as Amethyst.

Apparently, Garnet is so self-reliant that some of that always passes to her fussions. Sardonyx even made a quip about it.

XAL

I guess you've never seen Arrow's Olicity shippers...

Zubz

Banned
That episode was fantastic; I never expected the show to break the 4th Wall... And I guess outside of the "courtesy of Cartoon Network" clips, it didn't; the "do we have to pay her" bit can be seen as Sardonyx treating Sugilite like a celebrity rather than Nicki Minaj. Still, even if the 4th Wall wasn't totally broken, it was, well... Dented.

That's embarrassing about what Twitter brats did to Zuke, though. It's easier to think it's just kids/teenagers, but you know a huge chunk of that were adults, and even then, it's not okay it happened at all. Hopefully Twitter gets stricter guidelines soon, and Zuke can find some piece of mind in the meantime. It's their show. It just sucks that whiny fans have to ruin it for everyone else.

Do they seriously have to pay her for that line?

Yup. Money isn't the only problem with celebrity VA's; their schedule can be an issue, too. Nicki being busy is why Sugilite is mute, but here, they at least had an excuse to recycle old lines. However, even though they weren't new, Nicki is still credited and thus will be laid some royalties.

Permanently A

Why did they get Nicki Minaj for Sugilite? Its cool and all, but seems impractical in terms of future scheduling as well as a waste of budget.

Illucio

Banned
Why did they get Nicki Minaj for Sugilite? Its cool and all, but seems impractical in terms of future scheduling as well as a waste of budget.

There are so many different people who could voice Sugilite. Just replace her voice actress. Nicki really didn't do anything special for the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom