• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

koam

Ether_Snake said:
BTW KOAM!! I know you like LEDs, I found this interesting: http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/071016/128810.html
Hopefully a starting trend:)

Yeah that's Cree, they've been on my watch list forever and i've mentioned them a ton in this thread. The only thing that's preventing me from buying into Cree is that they are overvaluated. However, so was OLED (was bought off) and PANL and panl is still doing well.

I don't have it at the moment, but cnnmoney had this video article on CREE and advanced lighting. You should do a search on their site. Not only does it show the potential but it's a cool little video. Dynamically alternating the color of a room is pretty cool.

mrWalrus

Banned
Earnings this morning from JPM, KO, UTX have all been positive.. and the futures are on fire +73 at the moment.

Looks like the Bull market charges onward!
:lol :lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey anyone tell me if this is a crazy idea:

From now on, I will "buy green, sell green" and use the Dow as an indicator of when to buy and sell. When the Dow reaches a peak (or better yet an all time peak), and then it falls, I wait till there is a recovery (green). A recovery is usually when after a plunge the markets have gone back up to about 30% of where they were before the plunged, and when there is stability in the trading for some time. At that point, I buy. Then I wait, and the very moment the Dow hit its former peak, I sell.

I took a look at a lot of graphs and I would have made money on all of them if I had followed this principal, as long as I was investing in big and financially sound companies that have a strong tendency to follow the market without extremes rises or lows or their own.

So I would:

1- Absolutely check the financials of a company to make sure they will be able to follow the overall performance of the Dow and hence not go off in unpredictable patterns that would indicate volatility and speculation.

2- Absolutely buy in the green (as in, when the Dow recovers after a strong drop after a strong high, not necessarily when the share itself is going up). Never buy at any other moments.

3- Absolutely sell in green (as in, when the Dow is back to its former peak), never wait regardless of upcoming financials or whatever news that would incite me to keep the shares.

If the shares are in the red when the Dow is at its peak: I made a bad investment

If the shares are in a peak when the Dow is still recovering very slowly: SELL. But something else.

I won't make a fortune like this, but from what I checked I would have made decent sums of money and no loss.

Any comments on that? Thanks! (of course it's not perfect;) )

mrWalrus

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Any comments on that? Thanks!

Reinventing the wheel never worked too well. So I would advise against some of these strategies and suggest you buy a book on TA. The second one in my list is tops and goes further than just standard TA and explains a bit of Dow Theory too.

Also watch the daily videos I listed under the 'Who I learn from' section of that manifesto. The information those guys speak is Invaluable.

I'm not saying your theories are off base but they aren't iron clad. For example if you get a 'double top' while using your third bullet point it's going to wipe you out. Recognizing patterns setting up, looking at the trend, knowing where support and resistance are, and using Oscillators will greatly help you make timely decisions. If you use what you learn through TA with proper risk management you will be successful even if you are wrong 2 out of 3.

The point of learning TA is to get you better at making educated guesses about a stocks next direction. It tells you with pretty high precision where stocks will break out or fall back, when trends are reversing, and when an issue is overbought or oversold.

koam

market's up today. NTDOY is a down a bit.

Looking forward to SNDK's earnings. Hopefully, i'll cash out instead of bailing out.

mrWalrus

Banned
The market signaled a Hindenburg Omen yesterday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_Omen

The Hindenburg Omen is a technical analysis signal that attempts to predict a forthcoming stock market crash. It is named after the Hindenburg disaster, the crash of the German zeppelin of the same name in May 1937. The Hindenburg Omen is the alignment of several technical factors that measure the underlying condition of the stock market - specifically the NYSE - such that the probability that a stock market crash occurs is higher than normal, and the probability of a severe decline is quite high. The rationale behind the indicator is that, under normal conditions, either a substantial number of stocks establish new annual highs or a large number set new lows - but not both. When both new highs and new lows are large, it indicates the stock market is undergoing a period of extreme divergence. Such divergence is not usually conducive to future rising prices. A healthy market requires some degree of internal uniformity, whether the direction of that uniformity is up or down.

Click the link to understand the criteria.

Edit:
It should be known that it takes two of these within 30 days to really mean anything, that said, getting one isn't necessarily good news.

koam

Anyone know when NTDOY pays out its dividend?

Sweet Sandisk is on a bull rise right now. I'm hoping it will hit $52 or $53 with it's earnings. I should place a limit order at $54 just in case.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'll continue to increase my understanding of trading, but I'll probably also pay more attention to the Dow/Nasdaq from now.

BTW yesterday I said if there was going to be a rally today I might sell. I think there will be a big selloff tomorrow unless more great earnings arrive because people will want to run away with today's gains; there is still no trust in the recovery.

mrWalrus

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I'll continue to increase my understanding of trading, but I'll probably also pay more attention to the Dow/Nasdaq from now.

They are one in the same.

As you watch DIA and the QQQQ's look at what the oscillators are telling you. Price is the only thing that pays but it doesn't give you even half the story of where the stock is going.

Make sure you watch the S&P 500(SPY) too, it's a much better sample of the broad market. The Dow contains only 30, mostly global, companies and the NDX is mostly tech stuff.

mrWalrus

Banned
We have breached a 200 point swing on the DOW futures for the day. We were up 100 right after the open and now down 100.

impressive.

Edit:
made it all the way back to 0 by the close..

most impressive.

Important for tomorrow is how the street likes Wamu and Etrade's earnings.

Javaman

mrWalrus said:
I took what I had left out of stocks and now I'm up over 1200% on my Forex account in my first month (that's with 50 to 1 leverage).. I'd like to see a mutual fund get you that. Not saying I'm going to continue at that same pace cause by all means I'm very surprised. I think it's just a case of capitalizing on some very unique opportunities due to the falling value of the dollar and all the bank nonsense going on world wide. FOREX is pretty wild west and I'd suggest anyone who is interested to open a demo account before trading there for real. I burnt through my first 50k demo account in three days. Ouch!

You invested hard cash into it after losing all the money in your original demo account? Congratulations on the massive gains, but that's pretty ballsy! How much real money do you have riding in it?

mrWalrus

Banned
Javaman said:
You invested hard cash into it after losing all the money in your original demo account? Congratulations on the massive gains, but that's pretty ballsy! How much real money do you have riding in it?

No, I lost my money on stocks, actually options to be more exact. While I was waiting for those to expire I opened a demo account at Oanda and started trading currencies again. My first demo account I blew up in three days was looooong ago, well before I started reading up on TA and the rest.

I wasn't going to be aloud to day trade stocks anymore (you need at least 25k in your account to be considered a 'pattern day trader') so since I lost my ass in equities and I was able to double my 'new' demo account in 12 days on Oanda I decided I'd give Forex a go with real money. There's no minimum balance for flipping positions when trading currencies. That's when I started knocking the cover off the ball.

Sorry I guess I didn't make that clear, my bad.

Ballsy? I don't know. I just don't have a conscious with this stuff. I figured I'd armed myself with too much knowledge to just quit. I've made my fair share of mistakes and I will continue to make more.. but as long as I learn from those mistake I'll be that much further ahead on my next trade.

yayaba

Anyone own GOOG? Are you holding through earnings?

I'm thinking of letting it ride a bit tomorrow until close and then selling. I'm not sure how they're going to do. They've ran up so much the past month or so I can't picture them jumping after the close.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SIMG soared today but I see no reasons why: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SIMG

IMMR is sadly not up, and will probably only go up on earnings on Nov. 1st, and if not then never:p

Nokia earnings tomorrow (could help IMMR since they use IMMR patented VibeTonz). Ericsson collapsed this week from around 42 to 30 "a day after the company issued a profit warning that shocked the market and raised concerns about the management's leadership." But I don't think Nokia will fall.

Nvidia was up 7.68% today and I presume it was due to INTC' earnings. Anyone knows when they reveal their results?

Orbital Sciences (ORB) also has its earnings conference tomorrow morning, should be interesting. Raytheon has its conference on the 25th.

TTWO was up 1.95% today but it's down big time at the moment in after-hours, -2.90%. It's as I expected, but I didn't sell like I said I might; investors have no confidence, they just wanted to get their gains back after INTC's earnings were revealed, so they waited today as others bought, and now they're selling (ATVI was up a mesely 0.18% today and it's down in after hours by 1.51%).

Ubisoft was up again (they've been on a rise for the past three years, non-stop, since EA purchases 20% of the shares, but the fact is they have had great earnings all along).

EDIT: I would trust GOOG, but not the investors;)

mrWalrus: That Alpha Trends daily YouTube broadcast is great.

Ether_Snake said:
Hey anyone tell me if this is a crazy idea:

From now on, I will "buy green, sell green" and use the Dow as an indicator of when to buy and sell. When the Dow reaches a peak (or better yet an all time peak), and then it falls, I wait till there is a recovery (green). A recovery is usually when after a plunge the markets have gone back up to about 30% of where they were before the plunged, and when there is stability in the trading for some time. At that point, I buy. Then I wait, and the very moment the Dow hit its former peak, I sell.

I took a look at a lot of graphs and I would have made money on all of them if I had followed this principal, as long as I was investing in big and financially sound companies that have a strong tendency to follow the market without extremes rises or lows or their own.

So I would:

1- Absolutely check the financials of a company to make sure they will be able to follow the overall performance of the Dow and hence not go off in unpredictable patterns that would indicate volatility and speculation.

2- Absolutely buy in the green (as in, when the Dow recovers after a strong drop after a strong high, not necessarily when the share itself is going up). Never buy at any other moments.

3- Absolutely sell in green (as in, when the Dow is back to its former peak), never wait regardless of upcoming financials or whatever news that would incite me to keep the shares.

If the shares are in the red when the Dow is at its peak: I made a bad investment

If the shares are in a peak when the Dow is still recovering very slowly: SELL. But something else.

I won't make a fortune like this, but from what I checked I would have made decent sums of money and no loss.

Any comments on that? Thanks! (of course it's not perfect;) )
I'd be careful. Countless studies have shown that it is very, very hard, if not impossible to consistently time the market. Trying to time the market with short term strategies is a very easy way to lose a lot of money.

The people who have historically beaten the market the most, over the long haul, have been long term investors who don't try to time anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maxwell House said:
I'd be careful. Countless studies have shown that it is very, very hard, if not impossible to consistently time the market. Trying to time the market with short term strategies is a very easy way to lose a lot of money.

The people who have historically beaten the market the most, over the long haul, have been long term investors who don't try to time anything.

Well to me it's just an indicator, among others. I would never invest blindly based on a rule, but I think paying attention to the peak, low, and recovery, and previous peak can help me reduce risks. But what do I know:p

koam

damn, one of the stocks i owned a couple months ago doubled up after i sold it.

Not doing too well today. Sandisk better recoup tonight or i'm screwed.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
koam said:

Why will you be screwed?

artist

Banned
Fellow canucks, which bank is the best for trading. TD looks good, but are there any better or should I sign up with them?

Thanks.

koam

irfan said:
Fellow canucks, which bank is the best for trading. TD looks good, but are there any better or should I sign up with them?

Thanks.

TDW (W = waterhouse) and RBC DI (direct investing) are the best. TD is the market leader. I have an account with TD and my gf works at RBC DI; both have solid platforms. RBC has a nicer layout imho but TD is better for active traders.

If you want cheap... CIBC investor's edge is the way to go. I have a few grips with them, mainly, cause they feel lower budget but they're still alright. 50 trades for $400 = about $7 a trade instead of $29 like RBC/TD.

The biggest problem with them is that you can't convert CAD to USD on the fly, you have to call them.

Advice, go with the broker your normal bank account is with.

Edit: Awesome, Sandisk is back to where i bought them and they're climbing.

koam said:

Ouch. That sucks. :(

I make it a habit to avoid looking at the stock prices of shares I have recently sold, to avoid pontential heart ache. :)

For example, I sold 500 shares of EXM in September for 45.57. I accidently saw the price it is at today (79.09 currently). I basically missed out on $17,000 of profit in the last 2 months. Ugh.

Oh well, that crap happens. I made over double on the stock so I can't complain. One lesson I am learning more and more is to let your stock's gains keep running. No matter how much money you have made, selling the stock to take profits off the table is often a mistake, especially when said shares are of a well run company in a good market. I mean, I like the fundamentals since I bought shares. Why should I doubt the company just because their shares have grown, as I was expecting them to? Just because a company has doubled or tripled doesn't mean the growth will stop, or that the bottom will fall out.

I have decided I will hold onto my stocks much longer than I have (3+ years average, as long as I continue to like the company's fundamentals). Most of the mistakes I have made is selling too soon.

RSTEIN

koam said:
Because i have a lot of their stock and I already have a pretty bad stock (down $500) in my portfolio.

I try to avoid this thread but let me say the following: if you can't handle a stock going down 50% after you buy it then you're investing beyond what your risk tolerance would dictate. A stock will do one of two things after you buy it: go up or go down. Both are out of your control. Remember why you bought the stock & what you think the stock is worth. Where the stock trades on a day-to-day basis is irrelevant. Yes, it's easier said than done. But you've got to learn to be ice cold.

I'm not trying to preach or anything, just giving advice. You can do serious, serious harm to yourself with stress. Serious biological harm. When buying stocks you're working with imperfect information. You can only make a decision with the information available to you at the time. There are thousands of variables at play, winning situations can turn disastrous in a matter of months and vice versa. You have to realize that a lot of this stuff is outta your control.

Nobody is going to bat a thousand. You're going to lose money - big money - every once and a while. A couple months ago one of my companies was hit with something outta left field and we lost about $10 million. This week we had to liquidate a position after the Company's bankers called their loans in (lost about $1.5 million). It happens.

RSTEIN said:
I try to avoid this thread but let me say the following: if you can't handle a stock going down 50% after you buy it then you're investing beyond what your risk tolerance would dictate. A stock will do one of two things after you buy it: go up or go down. Both are out of your control. Remember why you bought the stock & what you think the stock is worth. Where the stock trades on a day-to-day basis is irrelevant. Yes, it's easier said than done. But you've got to learn to be ice cold.

I'm not trying to preach or anything, just giving advice. You can do serious, serious harm to yourself with stress. Serious biological harm. When buying stocks you're working with imperfect information. You can only make a decision with the information available to you at the time. There are thousands of variables at play, winning situations can turn disastrous in a matter of months and vice versa. You have to realize that a lot of this stuff is outta your control.

Nobody is going to bat a thousand. You're going to lose money - big money - every once and a while. A couple months ago one of my companies was hit with something outta left field and we lost about $10 million. This week we had to liquidate a position after the Company's bankers called their loans in (lost about $1.5 million). It happens.
I agree 100%. Buffett said the key to his success over the years has been his discipline and unemotional approach to investing. He said he doesn't research better than others, isn't smarter than others, or have any secret formula. His main strength, the one that has helped him be the best investor of all time, is detaching emotions from investing.

When you let emotions get into your stock decisions, you will defeat yourself with stupid, illogical, spur of the moment reactive moves.

There is a new book out, in fact, that talks about this very thing. It's called Your Money and Your Brain, by Jason Zweig. I have heard it is an awesome book. I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

It is also why I am strongly in favor of long term trading vs short term trading. With short term trading, there is so much variability with prices that the fundamentals of the company don't often show themselves over the short term. With short term trading, you are almost limited to straight technical analysis, which IMO, is asking for trouble. Buying good companies often doesn't work if you are planning to buy/sell stocks with 1 or 2 week turnarounds.

I think I read that 90% of daytraders have lost more money than they have made.

mrWalrus

Banned
RSTEIN said:
you've got to learn to be ice cold.

Nobody is going to bat a thousand. You're going to lose money - big money - every once and a while.

It happens.
Hell yeah it happens! That's why I arm myself with knowledge and try to do the best I can each trade. I never think about that last trade after it happens.. well let's not say never. :D

I've chased after revenge trades more times than I can count. Dumbest thing you can ever do cause in the process you'll invariably throw out you're discipline and try to squeeze more out of a trade than you should.

Nobody is impervious. Just this morning I went after some revenge money.. end up costing me 45% of my Forex account. I made a stupid mistake I should never have made. All because I 'knew' what the cross was going to do rather than going by my discipline that got me where I was up until that point. The initial movement down was only about 25% of that the total drop.. the rest was me fighting the tape to trying and hit a grand slam and get it back with one swing. By forcing the issue all I did was pour salt into the wounds.

I knew I had to take some time away from the market so I went out for a skate and came back with a fresh head. As of my last trade I've now gotten 60% back of what I lost and now I'm in a positive frame of mind and not spiraling out of control or worried sick.

If you're wondering how I could lose and make so much back in one day that's Forex, it very volatile and the swings can be a little violent.

Which starts me thinkin' that something tells me the next lesson I'm going to learn is that I don't need to be trading with 50 to 1 leverage. 20 to 1 might be better.

RSTEIN

mrWalrus said:
Which starts me thinkin' that something tells me the next lesson I'm going to learn is that I don't need to be trading with 50 to 1 leverage. 20 to 1 might be better. [/spoiler]

lol. Methinks you need to discover the Kelly criterion!

mrWalrus

Banned
RSTEIN said:
lol. Methinks you need to discover the Kelly criterion!
I prefer the 'rule of 72'

I'm still too much of a cowboy for the Kelly criterion.. besides I like to think what I do isn't gambling it's making educated guesses for the sake of profit. :D

Days like to day remind me how easy it is to blow up with my trading style. I must have the spirit of Jesse Livermore in me.

RSTEIN

mrWalrus said:
Days like to day remind me how easy it is to blow up with my trading style. I must have the spirit of Jesse Livermore in me.

OK, as long as you don't go and kill yourself!

mrWalrus said:
If you're wondering how I could lose and make so much back in one day that's Forex, it very volatile and the swings can be a little violent.

Which starts me thinkin' that something tells me the next lesson I'm going to learn is that I don't need to be trading with 50 to 1 leverage. 20 to 1 might be better.
Damn, 50:1 leverage? You have balls of steel. I am nervous about my my current leverage ratio, and it's only 1.4. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here are the results of a few on my watchlist:

Ubisoft up + 4,92% today (someone just look at the 3 year graph, it's very nice:D ). Too bad I never bought when I wanted to, back in December 2004, right before EA made their announcement (coincidentally). I would have made over 400% by now. If their earnings are good they'll get back to their 57 Euro pre-split!

Cree released its earnings today
and the share spiked, 3.52% and another 5.21% in after hours.

Cypress Semiconductors also released its earnings
(sorry I have no summary); share up 6.57% today.

Nokia released it's earnings; up 3.04% today (could be good for IMMR eventually).

Orbital Sciences is down 2.49% after the release of its earnings.

EDIT: Suntech up 5.16%. One of the few Chinese corporations I'd be willing to buy shares from. They're in the solar power energy sector. Earnings will be released nov 15.

My equities
ATVI was slightly up 0.76%. IMMR up slightly, 0.59% on no news (earnings better be good for me!;) ). CGT up slightly, almost back to what I paid for it. TTWO was up 2.95% today on no news TTWO-specific news (Bioshock duh but even Carnival Games has been doing good). Still in the green overall, but CGT and IMMR have to do good soon:p

EDIT: Oh yeah, Google earnings and all (they're not on my watch list, can't afford it): http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahcKFG.S8Kx4&refer=home

mrWalrus

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Damn, 50:1 leverage? You have balls of steel. I am nervous about my my current leverage ratio, and it's only 1.4. :lol
Well, it's a little different for currency trading. The lowest leverage Oanda offers is 10 to 1. Some shops offer 100 to 1 and I've even heard of 500 to 1 but have never seen it. Personally I think 50 to 1 is a pretty good sweet spot as long as you're making the right moves.

For example when I'm in the zone I come out positive on about 85% (that's a guesstimate) of my trades for an average of .5-3% per trade. Trades last around 10 minutes to 30 seconds.

Unless you go to a Prop firm you're not going to be able to get that type of leverage on an equity account. I was using 4 to 1 as a 'pattern day trader' on e-trade before I blew that up (buying options) and that's about the best you're going to do..

Leverage is not for everyone, I used 2 to 1 for over a year before I started using the 4 to 1 that comes with being a 'pattern day trader' and even then I was REAL nervous at first.

Leverage = power.
With power comes great responsibility.. lol

Edit:
For the record I would never trade stocks at 50 to 1 leverage. You'd blow up in one day guaranteed. Currencies trade in much smaller moves called pips. A .5% move in a currency cross in a one day is pretty huge.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
According to my buy & sell indicator I mentioned the other day here are the "dates" I've specified to get rid of my shares:

ATVI - S&P500 = 156.48
IMMR - One day after DJI = 14164.53
CGT - NASDAQ = 2811.61
TTWO - NASDAQ = 2811.61

You can laugh at me but I prefer to sell on what I feel are good indicators. I compared a lot of graphs, matching each ticket to its closest matching index as far as curves went, and looked at past scenarios to see if I would have made a good move, and in all cases I would have at least made gains. IMMR, due probably to lack of confidence from investors, tends to lag one day behind the DJI, which is why I added "one day after".

Once I've gotten rid of all of them I shouldn't have lost a dime if my indicator is sound (and I'm still in the green overall in my portfolio). After having cleared my portfolio I'll do four things:

1- Judge whether I'll buy from them again or not
2- Look at other potential investments
3- Once I've matched a potential investment to an Index I'll wait for that index to drop to a level I feel is "low".
4- Wait for the recovery of the index (which means having gained around 30% of its previous record high) and buy. This practically never allows me to buy at the lowest of lows (I checked) but it's always a pretty-close-to-it low.

Then I wait for the index to reach its previous all time high again, which is the moment at which I sell the associated shares. Again, this practically never allows me to sell at the highest of highs, but practically always at a gain, regardless of how modest it may be (with certain reservations).

And no mrWalrus I will not do this blindly, I will continue to get a better understanding of the markets and keep myself informed like I do every nights:) In fact I plan to use the above strategy for half of my investments and use typical day-to-day observations for the rest, just to test it all moreso and not fall into a "I beat the exhcange!" mindset;)

EDIT: Oh and just to test it all in front of you guys, here is where I put my sell for NTDOY:

NTDOY - S&P500 = 156.48

If you didn't buy NTDOY after Oct. 9 you should make a profit when the S&P500 reaches 156.48 (don't follow my advices! this is a test!).

Sandisk would be NASDAQ = 2811.61

Again don't get angry at me I'm just testing my own foolishness;)

Javaman

I reshuffled most of my investments a couple of weeks ago to diversify my mutual funds and here's where I'm currently standing
xe1s83.jpg

compared to
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8111661&postcount=396
1zexu2e.jpg

It's weathered the drop OK so far, but I just wish I had hopped onto the RPMGX bandwagon years ago.
9bc7lw.jpg

Overall I'm a just a little bit in the green after all of this dropping mess, but I'm going hold these until the next quarter when I might rebalance a little bit.

_Rafa_

Banned
I just placed my FIRST BID EVER on III.to at 16.54 for 60 shares. I think it's a not too risky stock since its on a great climb for years. And i thought that was a good moment to buy cause its about to pass its short term resistence now. I hope it will be executed tomorrow so i can profit on the recent momentum.

koam

CREE went up? damnit! Missed out big time.

Sandisk had good earning but they've dropped in off hours, i hope they recoup in the pre-market. Gotta sell them off tomorrow.

EtherSnake, you have a weird sense of logic when it comes to stocks, but whatever works :lol

Personally, I don't do as much analysis as high profile inverstors. I simply look at companies that I hear about and look through certain stuff.

In order
1) The price. If their stock is under $10 I won't even consider them.
2) Their charts. If a company is at the same spot as they were 6 months ago, no. I've they've been on a decline no. If they've been steady and risen dramatically in the past few days, no. Basically, I look for companies that are on the rise and are steady.
3) What does this company do and do I know them? I study what they sell or the service they provide and see if there's lot of future potential. That's why I like stuff like LED/OLED and RFIDs. Ethanol is in high demand, corn might be a good stock then.
4) How are their earnings? Did they do well the last quarter?

_Rafa_

Banned
so i think my stock has all of your conditions. But i based my bid on slighty different ones and order. I guess everybody has its own techniques. Fundamentals must be there though.

koam

_Rafa_ said:
so i think my stock has all of your conditions. But i based my bid on slighty different ones and order. I guess everybody has its own techniques. Fundamentals must be there though.

Heh I don't think your stock has any of my conditions.

How come you bought a stock AFTER such a huge rise?

Sandisk beat expectations.. down 5 bux

mrWalrus

Banned
down 220 on the DOW after a hour and a half.

No problem, I bet this market ends the day flat.

Edit:
or... maybe we'll get that crash I've been talking about. :(

mrWalrus

Banned
The power of options.

punchdrunk.jpg

That's a one day gain. Of course they were worthless just 24 hours ago.. but now since the market fell out of bed someone just turned $55,000 to $1,353,000. This is a case of lightening striking, a lottery winner, in all facets of word.

Options can be very powerful and also very deadly. It's worth knowing about them and even if you never trade them you should become aware of the affects of an 'Options Expiration' day. Which today just happens to be.

Tarazet

I'm really starting to ponder investing in Countrywide. It has taken such a beating, but its fundamentals are so solid. People made a fortune shorting it on the way down, and the way the stock stands now pretty well reflects the disastrous state of the housing market.

mrWalrus

Banned
sonarrat said:
I'm really starting to ponder investing in Countrywide. It has taken such a beating, but its fundamentals are so solid. People made a fortune shorting it on the way down, and the way the stock stands now pretty well reflects the disastrous state of the housing market.

So you think the housing market has bottomed?

Do you know Angelo Mozzilo is being investigated by the SEC for selling shares of his company? The most recent sale was this week. At these low levels.

The fact that he is still selling, especially after the $2B Deal they made with BofA (that they are paying back at 7.75%) or the emergency $11.5B credit line they had to secure in order to keep them afloat, is not a good sign.

I'm sorry to interject with an opinion so contrary but I wouldn't suggest putting your money in any housing stocks right now. I'd hate to see good money tossed away.

Tarazet

mrWalrus said:
So you think the housing market has bottomed?

Do you know Angelo Mozzilo is being investigated by the SEC for selling shares of his company? The most recent sale was this week. At these low levels.

The fact that he is still selling, especially after the $2B Deal they made with BofA (that they are paying back at 7.75%) or the emergency $11.5B credit line they had to secure in order to keep them afloat, is not a good sign.

I'm sorry to interject with an opinion so contrary but I wouldn't suggest putting your money in any housing stocks right now. I'd hate to see good money tossed away.

I don't think the housing market has bottomed, no. It's still in the early stages. But all the things you are talking about are public knowledge, and they're all depressing the share prices already.

lil smoke

Banned
yeah, this isn't as fun as I thought. Oil up, so the entire market dips? What difference does it make to do research and study charts, if this shit is so fragile to any news that comes?
It's all still just gambling really.

...well, it's safer to play the long term game, or eat sleep and pee this stuff 24/7. Anything in between is a dangerous game. Of course unless you have lots of money as padding for the bad days. Seems like this game is run by pussies who react instantly to any news!

Top Bottom