• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Gaaraz

Damn, yesterday was a ridiculous day for me, probably my best day ever thanks to solar stocks and Tesla! In a short period of time I've gone from being quite heavily down (8%), to nicely up (5%) and have quite comfortably outperformed the market since I bought these shares, though I guess it's mostly luck.

What are your thoughts on TAN? http://guggenheiminvestments.com/tan

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damn, yesterday was a ridiculous day for me, probably my best day ever thanks to solar stocks and Tesla! In a short period of time I've gone from being quite heavily down (8%), to nicely up (5%) and have quite comfortably outperformed the market since I bought these shares, though I guess it's mostly luck.

What are your thoughts on TAN? http://guggenheiminvestments.com/tan

I'm half invested in SCTY, half in TAN. I would not invest in specific solar companies except SCTY, which even itself is a big risk at 50%.

Josh7289

Hey everyone. Given the recent bad news out of Nintendo, I've become interested in the possibility of purchasing some of their stock. I live in the United States; is there a good way for me to buy shares on a Japanese stock market?

Hey everyone. Given the recent bad news out of Nintendo, I've become interested in the possibility of purchasing some of their stock. I live in the United States; is there a good way for me to buy shares on a Japanese stock market?

You could buy one of its ADRs that trades in the U.S. with tickers NTDOY or NTDOF. It appears the one with the ticker NTDOY is more liquid (so it trades more often). They are traded over-the-counter (aka not listed on the NYSE/Nasdaq), but you would be able to buy it domestically that way.

I'm less familiar with buying stocks on a foreign exchange, so I'm not sure about the currency or other differences between the two. I'm guessing the Nintendo stock traded in Japan is also more liquid than NTDOY, so it might be a little harder to sell here than actually buying the foreign stock. Looking at the weekly chart, it looks like there is a fair amount of activity with NTDOY, however.

CrankyJay

Banned
Up 65% on MSTX in the past year...the stock is about to topple $1 today, hopefully a run up. Might sell off what I paid to get in and let it ride with free money, although there is a decent chance the stock can be $2-3 by July.

Lots of Q1 catalysts.

snack

Up 65% on MSTX in the past year...the stock is about to topple $1 today, hopefully a run up. Might sell off what I paid to get in and let it ride with free money, although there is a decent chance the stock can be $2-3 by July.

Lots of Q1 catalysts.
I joined the biotech hypetrain. Used some profits I had from other investments towards it. CNBC has been sweet talking about biotech this morning.

CrankyJay

Banned
I joined the biotech hypetrain. Used some profits I had from other investments towards it. CNBC has been sweet talking about biotech this morning.

yeah, the market is hot on it now....just trying to figure out when the ride ends...thinking of collecting some profits soon

MSTX 10M shares traded already, HOD...wonder if news leaked...

koam

Major kudos to whoever updated the main post. MUCH better than what I had when this thread first started.

I'm doing a big no-no right, I currently only own Tesla (got it at $40, bought more at $120). Looking for something new to diversify into.

snack

Major kudos to whoever updated the main post. MUCH better than what I had when this thread first started.

I'm doing a big no-no right, I currently only own Tesla (got it at $40, bought more at $120). Looking for something new to diversify into.
Buying more Tesla at 120 was not wrong! Tesla is backed by one of the best CEOs in the game right now. Elon Musk will get shit done.

If you wanted something else to diversify into, check out solar energy or biotech. Those sectors are going up.

alejob

Almost and thought abouts don't count. You gotta have the cojones to do it.

Does anyone do options?

First time dealing with options. Sold some calls that expired last saturday. Nothing showed up on my account so I thought the options were not exercised. Even though the price was in the money.

Finally Tuesday I check and they did buy all the shares from me, Sharebuilder posted it Monday night. Is this normal? Does sharebuilder just suck? I though if they were going to exercise the option I would have seen it before the end of the day on Friday.

Edit: I just bough my shares back cheaper anyway. Everything is taking a beating.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So many articles tonight on Bloomberg about China being at risk. Not sure why all of this poped up today.

i9orJv1.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably just cause volatile stocks fluctuate more.

I added a bit to DDD. I don't have much money to invest these days:/

CrankyJay

Banned
Because you bought them?

Citron issues new cautious report on 3D Systems, expects the share to drop to around $56. Apparently some of there patents are expiring too. Who knows.

Citron is full of shit...they're basing part of their report on fucking 10 Amazon reviews. Who knows if half of those are verified purchases? What kind of research is this?

Activist short sellers are usually 95% full of shit and wrong and skew things to align to their short positions. Incredible that this isn't regulated and/or illegal.

alejob

Citron is full of shit...they're basing part of their report on fucking 10 Amazon reviews. Who knows if half of those are verified purchases? What kind of research is this?

Activist short sellers are usually 95% full of shit and wrong and skew things to align to their short positions. Incredible that this isn't regulated and/or illegal.

I just posted what was on the yahoo finance news feed. :p

The real question is, is this a full blown correction? or is the market having having just a bad couple of days?

CrankyJay

Banned
I just posted what was on the yahoo finance news feed. :p

The real question is, is this a full blown correction? or is the market having having just a bad couple of days?

That's my other gripe with Yahoo! finance. They syndicate opinion and otherwise bullshit articles from sites with shady intentions/backgrounds as news.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Lost 1.7% of my entire portfolio today, which actually is almost no-par with the market anyway, so whatever. I would love to see the markets plunge for the next 6 months so I can buy in on things a bit cheaper as I should have more funds available for purchases soon.

I'm down 2% on my entire portfolio today.. with most in index ETF's. Oh well.

I still have about 2/3's of all my funds not invested, I'm holding back on that until the market's crashed quite heavily. Feel like I'm too late in this current boom to invest everything now, who knows.

TylerD

Spectrum Pharma (SPPI) down 6%. Yep, I'm still holding. I'm only doing the 4% match for my company 401k and throwing money at my student loans right now. Fuck those things.

CrankyJay

Banned
Spectrum Pharma (SPPI) down 6%. Yep, I'm still holding. I'm only doing the 4% match for my company 401k and throwing money at my student loans right now. Fuck those things.

I took my 40% loss and bailed and put it all into NVAX...I'm actually up enough where I broke even on that move.

Hope SPPI works out for you.

Made $1100 short term on OLED and basically lost $2k on SPPI...so I'm going to write off $900 loss this year.

The convertible notes offering was basically the last straw for me. Watch it go up 75% now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lost 3% today.

I'm guessing most people will hold back on investing or bail out soon, afraid that this is the start of a down trend "I'm not getting caught twice!" mentality, just from looking at the chart showing the DOW so high.

A lot of the emerging markets have been taking non sustainable approaches to attract foreign investments at the detriment of the population. I expect backlash, which will ultimately lead to a strengthening of the middle classes. Until then, it will be a difficult ride.

Rubenov

Almost and thought abouts don't count. You gotta have the cojones to do it.

Does anyone do options?

First time dealing with options. Sold some calls that expired last saturday. Nothing showed up on my account so I thought the options were not exercised. Even though the price was in the money.

Finally Tuesday I check and they did buy all the shares from me, Sharebuilder posted it Monday night. Is this normal? Does sharebuilder just suck? I though if they were going to exercise the option I would have seen it before the end of the day on Friday.

Edit: I just bough my shares back cheaper anyway. Everything is taking a beating.

They usually exercise by Monday. Since Monday was a holiday, they were taken out on Tuesday. It is my experience that as long as they're 1 cent in the money they will get exercised.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is their a rational cause the the recent contraction? Global PMI is 54.2 and increasing, US unemployment rate is 6.7% and dropping. Economy is going to boom. Well, if you're long term like I am you're going to invest anyway, but you 5 year time horizon people with high risk tolerance shouldn't fold now, lol.

Presco

Is their a rational cause the the recent contraction? Global PMI is 54.2 and increasing, US unemployment rate is 6.7% and dropping. Economy is going to boom. Well, if you're long term like I am you're going to invest anyway, but you 5 year time horizon people with high risk tolerance shouldn't fold now, lol.

Yup, I'm buying whether we're up or down 5% next week. No stops, no limit orders. I really don't care what the market is doing next week or next year or next decade.

That said, my first child was born last week and I'll be opening an RESP for him in the next week or two, as soon as he gets his Social Insurance Number. Lower prices for that purpose would definitely be welcome. But thanks to the Canada learning bond and education savings grants, a half decent return is all but guaranteed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think there is justifications for worries over the long term, but not over now. I'm continuing to invest when I can although I am not going to buy from more companies, I'm happy with those I'm holding.

CAE: holding on forever, simulation field is the future
NKE: can sleep on it, no one will dethrone them, they have infinite cool factor and sports are on the rise, people like getting healthy and working out and having sport hobbies these days, so there's lots of potential.
PBR: big mistake from years ago when I was dumb, stuck with it until I need to write off loses, if needed.
TSLA: lots of confidence in it, although I expect it to be enemy #1 of a lot of lobbyists and get a lot of crap thrown its way
DIS: can sleep on it, they will eat everything and will never be a serious anti-monopoly target
HON, UTX: hold both mainly based on past trends and to diversify
DDD and SSYS: 3D printing is the future
SCTY and TAN: solar is also the future, and there are enough companies out there for them to be able to sustain attacks from lobbyists, plus it's global so it helps on that front as you can't keep your head in the sand forever
SWY: old penny stock mining investment, very small portion, holding for potential profit eventually

Then I have some ETFs for makerts (US, Emerging Markets, Israel, Japan).

alejob

I wouldn't be to happy with DDD and SSYS right now. What a beating. I'm losing on my stuff too. Markets are so shaky I'm afraid to put money in. I want to put my retirement money in to the market but not right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I sold all my SCTY shares today for a 50% profit because I'll need cash to invest as the markets go down. I can buy it back too at a lower price.

GhaleonEB

Yeah. I follow the markets largely out of curiosity. Every time the market drops I think, yay I get to buy more shares this month. I'm investing without plans to withdraw in a ~20 year horizon, so it's all noise.

I'm 50/50 US international, which is the only aspect of my portfolio I'll consider revising over time.

Cloudy

Banned
Anyone playing AAPL today? I'm long but I have a nice profit already. Don't know whether to take some off or add more hoping for a pop AH

Top Bottom