• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I added a bit to SSYS today at around 11am. I think my next investments will just be in my current broad market ETFs, otherwise things will get unbalanced.

I'm not sure if this is really within the realm of this thread, but I could do with some advice.

I was reading the thread about saving for retirement, and while a lot of the calculations don't apply to me since it's very US centric, it would none the less be a nice thing to have a bit of a backup.

I live in Japan, but I know it's supposedly quite a hassle doing any trading here not to mention if I leave the country I think I would have to close the account which could happen at a inconvenient time, so I was thinking I should maybe open a broker account somewhere like Singapore (where I already have a normal bank account). Is this legal/feasible?

I have a bit of money coming to me, roughly 2 million yen, so the idea would be to pay my taxes in Japan, and then transfer the remaining to my Singapore account and try get set up, but I'm afraid I might have to actually go to Singapore to open the account, which would be a bit of a hassle at the moment.

I could also look at other options, such as putting my money in a fund or something - I'm pretty new to all this, so I'm trying to feel my way at the moment.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In totally other news, is there a way to add USD to my google portfolio? I think it keeps trying to convert CAD into USD when I put in my US stocks, which messes with the entire portfolio, since I bought it with USD that was converted on another date and at another conversion rate than the purchase happened.

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out. Was needlessly complicated though, I had to make a "cash withdrawal" in CAD, then switch my portfolio currency to USD, then make the "cash deposit" in USD, then switch back to CAD. Weirdo google.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://www.glassdoor.ca/index.htm

Cool site, you can search companies and find employee reviews. I doubt you can really trust the reviews individually but together it's good information. For example employees of DDD all hate the management/way the business is run, people don't seem happy with their work environment, while the opposite is true for SSYS. I've always found it difficult as an investor to evaluate management, but it's really important. This will help a bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It caused Linkedin, Groupon, and Twitter to go up too in AH it seems.

XOM, MMM, AMZN, GOOG tomorrow.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fed reduced some $10bn purchase thing per month stimulus. Supposedly that's why the market is down.

I think we're in a bull trap short term. Fundamentals are moderately bullish globally and trending more bullish.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think China's economy is going to be the main factor that will push markets down, but if this is significant it will force countries into a spending spree to turn things around, forcing them to do what they should have done a while ago. You can't wait on China to recover if the global economy goes down because China does. There won't be a narrative to cut spending in that scenario, quite the opposite, and trade deficits would shrink.

edit: Nikkei tanking

teh_pwn

I'm so sick of the austerity shit. It doesn't work. You have to keep businesses buying each other's goods or services because that's precisely what the economy is. Everyone turtling up means more unemployment, lower wages, slower Scientific progress. In the name of austerity from CEOs, CFOs, and politicians that could practice a little austerity with their diet.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What's your guys' opinion on high-yield dividend stocks/dividend ETF's vs regular stocks/regular ETF's? Only use them if you need the income, or should be an essential part of a portfolio?

I have a bit in FSZ atm (mostly because I'm Swiss and that's the best Switzerland-specific ETF I could find. More doing it for kicks.), which has a pretty nice 7.6% 12month yield.

I'm looking at e.g. AMLP or a couple iShares ETFs like CHB.TO/FIE.TO/XHY.TO.

All these have been fairly stable over the last few years and are yielding 5%+....

But I'm just not sure if I should even have a space for them in my portfolio unless I need the extra income from dividends, since other index funds might get me more in the long run.

alejob

I'm so sick of the austerity shit. It doesn't work. You have to keep businesses buying each other's goods or services because that's precisely what the economy is. Everyone turtling up means more unemployment, lower wages, slower Scientific progress. In the name of austerity from CEOs, CFOs, and politicians that could practice a little austerity with their diet.

You might be sick of it and it might look like it doesn't work in the short term. It might painful but economies are so unhealthy and dysfunctional that its a necessary evil imo. Spending money you don't have is just going to bight you in the behind in the long run. I'm not saying that all debt is bad but hings are getting out of hand.

Flo_Evans

hmm TWTR back in the green for me.

Pretty bad timing on my part. Not sure if I should bailout.gif or holdontoyourbuts.gif leaning towards hold because its a small speculative investment and 7% daily swings are exciting :p

snack

Just saw this tweet:

The following companies are now “smaller” than Facebook: Verizon, Berkshire Hathaway, Disney, Intel, Cisco, Home Depot, and McDonald’s. #dow

McDonalds on that list really shocked me.

teh_pwn

You might be sick of it and it might look like it doesn't work in the short term. It might painful but economies are so unhealthy and dysfunctional that its a necessary evil imo. Spending money you don't have is just going to bight you in the behind in the long run. I'm not saying that all debt is bad but hings are getting out of hand.

United States just needs to restore Reagan or pre-Regan taxes, cut military spending, and invest in infrastructure, science, and education needed to boost fundamental economic productivity. The debt is there because wealthier people are getting away with murder with low long term capital gains while everyone else pays a substantial percentage of income to payroll, income, state, and sales taxes. Indebting young adults into $50k debt so they can get an engineering degree while roads, NASA, and stimulus is cut in favor of continuing a tax break for wealthy people and continued bleeding into military contracts does not do the economy justice for everyone; including the top 1%. If you empower your work force to innovate and invent, and enable people to do multiple amounts of work in the same time, everyone gets richer.

With the right policy you can boost encomies and pay off debt. An example is the United States from 1950-1980.

Stimulus works better than austerity. We have several examples of this. The Great Depression (United States before/after FDR, US relative to Europe) and the United States recently compared to the EU. We are destroying the EU with recovery.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's why I think, if China's economy goes down for whatever reason, it leaves the door wide open to go all Keynesian since there will be no way to pretend that the governments must not invest massively in the economy.

It would hurt at first, but I see it is as a rather likely outcome, the next big rise will come from a great rebalancing act with China. It won't come without pain first though, it takes time for politicians to do the right thing, but in those circumstances I think it would be shorter than usual.

If demands for higher wages, social safety nets, etc. increase in China it could work out. At the end of the balancing act, you'd have a China that is less export oriented as a result if being less competitive, and still heavy on imports to fuel internal consumption. But to meet that demand we need investments here.

If the Euro was let go by some countries as well, then it would speed this process up as more countries in the current EU would become more competitive, balancing things further.

The US' trump card is innovation capacity. But for that student debt needs to fall dramatically.

teh_pwn

Keynesian works great if you invest in the right things. I feel like I'm contributing more to society implementing Software Continuous Integration scripting to mitigate the growth of dozens of more people to manually perform software build, test, and report, than I would be if I were unemployed in Greece protesting. Sure if you just toss money at banks and military contractors I agree stimulus isn't worth it. But if it's to invest in things that get more people working on technologies that boost productivity, long term you gain economic growth faster than you would clinging to short term balance sheets while your youth decays in the streets.

By austerity I wasn't just referring to politics, but also companies. If every company cuts back so they can turn a 5% profit into 10%, then the economy suffers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We are due for big investments in improving infrastructure and transport. And a huge reform of education cost and student debt (and of course healthcare but that will take a while).

Question for Canadians about TFSA: you can buy and sell and keep the money in the account, and buy again right? You just can't move the money out of the account and then back in the same year? On my bank account I only get a warning when I try to move the money out of the account.

edit: seems like only a withdrawal from the account will affect my contribution limit for the year. Cool

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone can reommend an ETF that is world-wide developed excluding US? Vanguard's has like 20% Japan 20% UK in the one it offers, which is kind of dumb.

edit: BA closer to 100 would be interesting to me, and Amazon closer to 300-320 would be good too, although I'm worred the later will be increasingly attacked by countries trying to protect local business.

clav

H&R Block tax software. I do it myself, works well every year. Not sure why, it just seems the best in the price range from my experience.

I have a staples gift card to burn that I earned from credit card points. However, I was looking at TaxAct.

Has anyone used this software?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I use ImpotExpert site, costs something like 15$ or 25$, I forget. I think you pay only when you want to get the file. Easy to use.

Do you guys think MAT is a good buy? Took a huge hit because it missed analyst estimates but to me the company looks solid. Has strong financial records. Not sure why it took a 12% hit...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MAT

I usually look at the financial stats on Reuters, I like the layout. http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/financialHighlights?symbol=MAT.O

Financials look good. Seems like a good time to buy if you have long-term faith in the company.

I'm thinking most of their growth potential lies in developing countries/emerging markets, since in developed countries everything is going digital. If they don't manage to take serious footing in EM I would think they have no future.

GhaleonEB

H&R Block tax software. I do it myself, works well every year. Not sure why, it just seems the best in the price range from my experience.

My wife and I have used H&R block online for about a decade now. Seems to do the job, they've gotten better on the interface in recent years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have sold... everything. Except CAE. Everything was still in the green, and I don't think we will stay up in the near term, and I want to be able to seize opportunities when they show up, which I think they will. It's too bad cause it's a lot of companies I have faith in in the long term, but I cannot be left without funds when markets tank, unable to invest during a correction.

I kept CAE cause I think they'll be bought out one day and have no idea when, and at worst they don't get bought out and they'll still do great in the future. 100% faith in this one.

RevoDS

I'm just waiting for a bounce here, we've just made a lower low today by dropping below the October low.

Whenever we get a near-term bounce (thus a lower high), I'll be selling most of what I have as well since we'll have an established downtrend by then.

alejob

Why do they say? Don't catch a falling knife? Just made that mistake last week. Looks like it could get iffy for a while.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why do they say? Don't catch a falling knife? Just made that mistake last week. Looks like it could get iffy for a while.

Yeah when I decided to sell I told myself "don't sell when everyone is selling", but like every other investment advice they only sound right on paper. Who's to say today is "everyone selling" and not when we'll hit 14300? I prefer to sell while I was still making nice profits and be ready to invest when an opportunity emerges, than holding at a time when there is little chance of making significant returns over the short term.

RevoDS

I wish you guys the best of luck, but I personally don't have the confidence you have to try and time the market. Trust me, I'm happy the market is falling because I am still buying more funds/stocks every few months as I always do, and lower is better, but I don't know how I'd determine when is a good time to buy back into things.

Well I'm not necessarily expecting to beat just holding my stocks. You know, they could rally to new highs just after you sell, anything is possible.

But, the market is giving off signs of a change in character from what we saw in 2013 and from a risk management perspective, it's better to miss out on potential gains than lose half your money in a major bear market. The average bull market lasts four years without a 20% correction, this one is entering its sixth year. We've had massive gains last year and while we might not have a major drop, it's unlikely we'll get another year of these.

Especially concerning to me is the apparent widespread earnings misses for the holiday season. Many more stocks have disappointed than previous earnings seasons and whether it's due to heightened expectations or to a slowdown, things are what they are.

Basically, it's not so much about timing the market as it is about protecting your profits.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wish you guys the best of luck, but I personally don't have the confidence you have to try and time the market. Trust me, I'm happy the market is falling because I am still buying more funds/stocks every few months as I always do, and lower is better, but I don't know how I'd determine when is a good time to buy back into things.

My first reason is simple; to invest I need funds, I owned almost 10 companies, so the little money I could put in once in a while would not grow them enough and would be costly in fees. It's basically diminished returns at this point, I can't add an equal sum to all my investments at once, so it would take months to increase all my investments once.

Second, to me there are enough factors to make the chances of an upward trend less likely. I prefer to have cash to invest on opportunities, when stocks I like dip below what I consider fair value, as I have done with the companies I sold today. My buy signal is just Exponential Moving Average set to 100 days, and then analysis.

And Canada is likely to crash soon:) I'll be moving cash to USD.

Top Bottom