• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Mrbob

Don't know if you guys care about large cap bios but Biogen has been on a good rebound and might be heading much higher. Consolidating at the 290 level right now for the next move up and might have decent room to run. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets back to 400. First needs to break roughly 292 and then should be able to run to 310 and we'll see what happens from there.

ColdPizza

Banned
Don't know if you guys care about large cap bios but Biogen has been on a good rebound and might be heading much higher. Consolidating at the 290 level right now for the next move up and might have decent room to run. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets back to 400. First needs to break roughly 292 and then should be able to run to 310 and we'll see what happens from there.

I care about them in the sense that they sometimes bode well for sector health, thus bringing the small caps along with them.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Is there an app that can notify me when a stock hits a certain price? My bank does that, but they tend to send the notification about a week late. Not exactly useful…

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I guess I'll be owning Tesla shares instead of Solar City now. Leave it to SCTY to tank on being bought out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How can SCTY keep falling lower than the purchase price? Does it mean people think the deal will be cancelled?

It sounds like I could buy some and make money when the purchase is completed.

Traffcore

Any thoughts about the Netflix exclusivity deal with Walt Disney? I am rookie in the Stock market, but I find the coaltion interesting and potential for stock raise in the coming months when the deal in September starts.

tokkun

How can SCTY keep falling lower than the purchase price? Does it mean people think the deal will be cancelled?

It sounds like I could buy some and make money when the purchase is completed.

Opportunity cost. The stock is only trading 3% below the purchase price. If the deal takes 6 months to close, your return will be lower than the historical average for the total market.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Opportunity cost. The stock is only trading 3% below the purchase price. If the deal takes 6 months to close, your return will be lower than the historical average for the total market.

But wouldn't this happen pretty fast? Like two weeks at most?

Mrbob

man that SPHS !

I need one like that, to bad I missed it :(

Yeah been a rough ride down, glad I sold after that first crack. Still watching for entry, seeing if the $4.60 gap gets filled.

Although to be fair today the broader biotech market is getting hammered this morning. We'll see if these stocks stay down by close. Seen plenty of days of broad biotech sell off in morning which swings around to green at close. Chart today isn't looking too hot however.

Edit:. This is just a broad market sell off today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SCTY has 1.5 months just to solicit other offers. Who knows what other delays may also come up. Mergers and acquisitions can take a long time if there is shareholder or regulatory opposition.

I see. I doubt there will be regularly opposition, but I can see Tesla investors forcing Musk to change his mind on this. You'd think they would have started with a close partnership before a buyout. Solar City has low market penetration, so that will have to increase and Tesla can't necessarily help it much on that end. Over the long-run it's pretty good though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DDD rising like crazy. Was up 9% a moment ago, now 16%. I love short squeezes.

My largest finance position (ING - 25% of portfolio) finally in the green again. Up almost 10% today after good earnings. Hope it doesn't fall again soon.

Mrbob

ColdPizza...soon....

original_59782810.jpg

I scooped up some more shares in the 7.20s. Lets roll the dice.

ColdPizza

Banned
ColdPizza...soon....

original_59782810.jpg

I scooped up some more shares in the 7.20s. Lets roll the dice.

Yah, I follow these guys on Twitter...I don't think we'll get data any time in August. I mean, I'd welcome it. Because I'll either be making a lot of money or go broke, lol.

Mrbob

Yah, I follow these guys on Twitter...I don't think we'll get data any time in August. I mean, I'd welcome it. Because I'll either be making a lot of money or go broke, lol.

So I can blame you if i lose all my SPHS winnings. :D

Stock broke through some major resistance this last hour too running into the close. Hopefully this finally means an upward move. Been hovering around 7-7.50 for awhile.

Mrbob

Only Tesla can miss big on the top and bottom lines and go up. I think its a fraud stock but the Elon Musk story telling is strong.

Mrbob

Sexy beat by EXEL, pushing up against 10 after hours. Bought this stock under 4 in March, my best long of this year by far. Mainly because I held this one. CPXX made more money but I sold a bunch at each interval up and before buyout. Plus technically I bought it in 2014 and 2015.

Probably going to take some profits now. As great as this beat is stock needs to correct itself before the next push up. Definitely adding shares on pullbacks. Strong upward trajectory.

ColdPizza, you should feel #blessed and confident about NVAX now that I've taken an investment in it. :p Picked some major biotech winners lately and I don't want NVAX breaking my streak. Now I need phase 3 to deliver so I can sell for a tidy profit and reinvest into EXEL.

ColdPizza

Banned
Sexy beat by EXEL, pushing up against 10 after hours. Bought this stock under 4 in March, my best long of this year by far. Mainly because I held this one. CPXX made more money but I sold a bunch at each interval up and before buyout. Plus technically I bought it in 2014 and 2015.

Probably going to take some profits now. As great as this beat is stock needs to correct itself before the next push up. Definitely adding shares on pullbacks. Strong upward trajectory.

ColdPizza, you should feel #blessed and confident about NVAX now that I've taken an investment in it. :p Picked some major biotech winners lately and I don't want NVAX breaking my streak. Now I need phase 3 to deliver so I can sell for a tidy profit and reinvest into EXEL.

I have researched the fuck out of NVAX. It's by far my largest holding. It would take a catastrophic unknown event for this to fail in my opinion. Everything they have done over the last 3-4 years has de-risked the program. Management is executing at a high level. Plus, after the phase 2 elderly data readout, the FDA suggested they flip their end points and labeling to all but ensure this trial succeeds.

The world needs an RSV vaccine as soon as possible. NVAX seems to be so confident in their outcome that they have been on a hiring blitz and snatching up facilities left and right for research and manufacturing purposes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yesterday DDD did well, today it's SsYS. Let's hope the horrible days for 3d printing are behind us.

Mrbob

That squeeze on EXEL shorts is beautiful. Shower me with more profits shorties.

I have researched the fuck out of NVAX. It's by far my largest holding. It would take a catastrophic unknown event for this to fail in my opinion. Everything they have done over the last 3-4 years has de-risked the program. Management is executing at a high level. Plus, after the phase 2 elderly data readout, the FDA suggested they flip their end points and labeling to all but ensure this trial succeeds.

The world needs an RSV vaccine as soon as possible. NVAX seems to be so confident in their outcome that they have been on a hiring blitz and snatching up facilities left and right for research and manufacturing purposes.

I was kidding before. I did some research on NVAX and am bullish too. Why I keep adding on dips. Not worried outside the possibility that something random could always go wrong.

So is it worth buying now?

ColdPizza

Banned
So is it worth buying now?

I mean, you could buy now in anticipation of good results, or you could wait until after to see how things shake out.

Sometimes phase 3 read outs don't move a stock because at that point people are waiting for commercializations and then profits. Other times it's sends a stock into the stratosphere.

So even with my confidence I am leery to expect a stranger to buy the stock. As always, do your own research to make sure the stock is right for you.

I mean, you could buy now in anticipation of good results, or you could wait until after to see how things shake out.

Sometimes phase 3 read outs don't move a stock because at that point people are waiting for commercializations and then profits. Other times it's sends a stock into the stratosphere.

So even with my confidence I am leery to expect a stranger to buy the stock. As always, do your own research to make sure the stock is right for you.

Thanks I will keep track of this one.

Maybesew

Anyone doing any options or futures trading? It's pretty much all I do these days. Always looking for more people to talk shop with.

Edit: I sold a 41 straddle in Activision for an earnings play today.

Anyone doing any options or futures trading? It's pretty much all I do these days. Always looking for more people to talk shop with.

Haven't really looked at options that much yet. Seemed kind of difficult to grasp. How did you start out with them?

ColdPizza

Banned

My boss does. He's hit home runs and has lost his ass, too.

He just texted me today he's going heavy on NVAX calls

Maybesew

Haven't really looked at options that much yet. Seemed kind of difficult to grasp. How did you start out with them?

I started with them back around 2006 or so, and totally apprached them wrong. I didn't lose a lot of money in total, but I lost 100% of it.

Now I follow tastytrade.com mostly. The guy that runs it founded think or swim which is a trading platform that was purchased by TD ameritrade. He now has tons of money and does all of his trades live on the air, so you can follow along. In addition to tasty trade, they also launched a site called dough.com

It lets you visually display all of your odds of profitability, and the rangle of where a trade would be profitable.

So for instance, this is what a 41 straddle in activision looks like right now.

Mrbob

Fraud stock is bit strong but it's value does seem to have become detached from "fundamentals".

Yeah this is what I don't like about the stock. Seems like its being driven on hype. To me Tesla is one of the most volatile spec stocks to buy yet a ton of people pile money into it. Worried they will get burned badly.

EXEL, my biggest holding, up almost 20% just today. Holy.

Twas a good day. You might want to start trimming though because RSI just went over 90 as of today and the stock has been on a rocket ship for the past 5 months. A correction is coming. I mean I guess it could pull a Nvidia and keep going up but even Nvidia had some pullback days. EXEL hasn't really had a pullback in months and thats because shorts got caught on the wrong side of betting heavy on it going down. I think it is going to start pulling back and the stock really needs it before the next leg up.

vpance

I checked out dough.com a little while back. Looks slick as hell. When I used to run options strategies more I mostly used desktop apps to keep track.

I'm using this mobile app Options Pro now. A bit janky and lite, but it works offline. Only really need it to check in on profit projections from time to time.

Maybesew

I checked out dough.com a little while back. Looks slick as hell. When I used to run options strategies more I mostly used desktop apps to keep track.

I'm using this mobile app Options Pro now. A bit janky and lite, but it works offline. Only really need it to check in on profit projections from time to time.

Cool, dough actually has a mobile app version as well.

Mrbob

I know some of you are looking for more risky yet growth options for stocks. I present to you WGBS...

http://www.streetviewtraders.com/single-post/2016/08/04/WGBS-Analysis

Company basically has a guaranteed buyout in place but has the option to opt out to look for better offers. They report on Tuesday and if revenue growth is as expected they are on track for a 12 million revenue year which would put the buyout about a dollar above the current price of 1.20. The stock is up almost 50% already from 80 cents to 1.20 but if the company delivers there is a lot of potential upside. Just dont put your entire investment here because this is a binary event. If revenues disappoint stock price could go down...maybe around 80 cents again. Or lower. But the CEO seems confident on delivering and the company has strong management team. If Tuesday is good the buyout price may be going up as they can opt out and get into a bidding war.

Also. I've been watching SPHS closely for an earnings report date and they haven't announced one yet. Finding that curious but it could still be announced this week. If they haven't announced a date by this Friday I might look to get back in. Not sure yet.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I didn't realize we had an OT for this. My only exposure to the stock market are the basics of options, anyone mind linking some good resources?

Anyone here trading in commodities? Was thinking about adding an oil ETF to my portfolio for a bit. See if it recovers a bit more in the coming weeks.

I started with them back around 2006 or so, and totally apprached them wrong. I didn't lose a lot of money in total, but I lost 100% of it.

Now I follow tastytrade.com mostly. The guy that runs it founded think or swim which is a trading platform that was purchased by TD ameritrade. He now has tons of money and does all of his trades live on the air, so you can follow along. In addition to tasty trade, they also launched a site called dough.com

It lets you visually display all of your odds of profitability, and the rangle of where a trade would be profitable.

Thanks. Had a look at it, but a bit overwhelming. Need to grasp the concepts of it before I can try it out. Stock is pretty easy with just buy and sell compared to this.

Maybesew

Anyone here trading in commodities? Was thinking about adding an oil ETF to my portfolio for a bit. See if it recovers a bit more in the coming weeks.

I do. I've been trading a lot of cotton lately because it's been going crazy. The markets aren't as liquid as I would hope for, but ive been making money.

As far as oil ETFs, USO is pretty much it if you want to track crude oil directly, but it has drag on it, and down at these levels it's hard for it to move much.

I know some of you are looking for more risky yet growth options for stocks. I present to you WGBS...

Company basically has a guaranteed buyout in place but has the option to opt out to look for better offers. They report on Tuesday and if revenue growth is as expected they are on track for a 12 million revenue year which would put the buyout about a dollar above the current price of 1.20. The stock is up almost 50% already from 80 cents to 1.20 but if the company delivers there is a lot of potential upside. Just dont put your entire investment here because this is a binary event. If revenues disappoint stock price could go down...maybe around 80 cents again. Or lower. But the CEO seems confident on delivering and the company has strong management team. If Tuesday is good the buyout price may be going up as they can opt out and get into a bidding war.

Also. I've been watching SPHS closely for an earnings report date and they haven't announced one yet. Finding that curious but it could still be announced this week. If they haven't announced a date by this Friday I might look to get back in. Not sure yet.

got some action on this :)

I do. I've been trading a lot of cotton lately because it's been going crazy. The markets aren't as liquid as I would hope for, but ive been making money.

As far as oil ETFs, USO is pretty much it if you want to track crude oil directly, but it has drag on it, and down at these levels it's hard for it to move much.
I'm only doing trading in Euros for now, don't like the added exchange rate (and costs) involved otherwise. Bought a few hundred euros in an oil ETF this morning. See how it goes.

Meanwhile, my German stock is performing. BMW over the 80 again. Time to set some stop limits on it. Bayer also climbing towards 100. Nice move up at the end of the trading day here.

vpance

I kinda like oil from the lows here but I'm also bullish USD, and those two usually run counter to each other, so I won't play it yet. Possible they both run together for a while too.

Mrbob

Whelp WGBS earnings ended up being a disappointment. Get ready for the 30/40% drop tomorrow. Looks like overreaction as growth was still up about 40% in the quarter. Missed on the cells though.

Time to wait for the cc. Looks to still be on track for 11 million which is still like 1.50 share in merger.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

So this seemed to be accurate, revenue projection was even corrected up to 13 million, but the stock immediately dropped 25% in after hours trading. Can someone explain to me why this drop happened?

*edit* Ok, see above. Also I read that wrong, they corrected from "12 to 13" to "10 to 12" million.

Top Bottom