• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Best stocks under $5 to invest in for poor people starting out like me? Some companies that are expecting growth for 2017?

If so, what site would you suggest that breaks things down like that for what I'm looking for? Or a good site that lists the best stocks under $5?

Thanks.

Edit-so it seems like it is not wise to invest in companies with stock prices under five dollars?
The stock price in itself doesn't say much. There are stocks out there of just fine companies at that price, or ones that are almost bankrupt. It is about the company, not the price. If a company has more shares out there, the share price will be lower, but it doesn't mean the company is unhealthy because of it.

If the stock has gone from $50 to $5, that is probably bad news. If it has gone from $3 to $5 recently, it might be good news. Research the company, not the stock price.

Does anyone like to buy a set number of shares for one company before moving on to another? What number have you settled on? I've just begun investing for retirement, and my current strategy is to buy 100 shares per company.
If you are doing it for retirement, you might want to look at ETFs and see what is out there. Lower risk.

For individual stocks, I don't care about the amount of stocks, I care about the value and percentage of my portfolio. Don't go 100% in on one sector for instance.

Usobuko

Banned
100 shares of Google / Alphabet Class A is 83k usd, fyi.

For me, I buy X amount of shares from a company, worth 5% of my total investment usually.

I can go up to 20% of my portfolio if I'm very confident of the company but 20% is the max I'm willing to hold for a single company.

If you are doing it for retirement, you might want to look at ETFs and see what is out there. Lower risk.

For individual stocks, I don't care about the amount of stocks, I care about the value and percentage of my portfolio. Don't go 100% in on one sector for instance.

For sure.

My current strategy is to buy 100 shares per company for ETF's (most of them pay dividends quarterly, at the minimum, and offer DRIPs) and $2500 worth of shares for Investor Class Fidelity index funds. Every month $500 goes to each category. For ETF's, I started with Prospect Capital (PSEC/sector: financials/last price: $8.47), because of its relatively cheap price, and because it gives dividends almost every month. I currently have 60 shares. As soon as I reach 100, I'm switching to Hormel Foods Corp (HRL/sector: non-cyclical consumer goods & services/last price: $34.92). For index funds, I started with FTIGX - again, because of price ($10.22). Altogether, there's about 22 total ETFs/index funds I'm going to cycle through:

ConocoPhillips (COP)
Prospect Capital...(PSEC)
American Electric Power (AEP)
AGNC Investment Corp (AGNC)
Fidelity® Intl. Index... (FSIIX)
Walt Disney Co (DIS)
Apple (AAPL-USD)
Netflix, Inc. (NFLX)
Fidelity® Total Market... (FSTMX)
Verizon Communications (VZ)
Fidelity® Total Intl... (FTIGX)
Fidelity® 500 Index... (FUSEX)
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA)
Hormel Foods Corp (HRL)
3M Co (MMM)
Charles Schwab Corp (SCHW)
General Mills, Inc. (GIS)
Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
Kellogg Company (K)
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
Morgan Stanley (MS)
AT&T Inc. (T)

Maybesew

Does anyone like to buy a set number of shares for one company before moving on to another? What number have you settled on? I've just begun investing for retirement, and my current strategy is to buy 100 shares per company.

There are good reasons to do this if you are going to sell calls against your shares to improve your cost basis. 1 contract per 100 shares. The downsides are the large costs that everyone has pointed out, and that there are lots of companies where owning 100 shares is cost prohibitive

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like FBT at the current price (biotech Etf). What do you guys think?

Mrbob

Bought some Gilead today on Trump fueled weakness. Not a big position but I'm hoping for some ma action happens to prop stock up. Would like to sell at 100-105. It has stalled in the 70s for awhile though.

ColdPizza

Banned
Bought some Gilead today on Trump fueled weakness. Not a big position but I'm hoping for some ma action happens to prop stock up. Would like to sell at 100-105. It has stalled in the 70s for awhile though.

man, biotech is proper fucked for a long while

Maybesew

I've started playing the dollar since it's at basically all time highs right now. Shorting it on up days, and covering it when it drifts back down. It's a lot simpler than playing all of the individual currencies like I had been (peso, yen and euro)

I should have invested in this thread, this year marks its 10th year :)

I didn't know what you meant so I went back to page 1 of this thread to look at your OP's date.

Damn. I had no idea this thread was so old. Your OP actually is before I even registered my GAF account. It's pretty amazing this thread has been flying under the radar for a decade. I don't even know if the rest of GAF realizes we exist.

I'm not gonna lie, that Nintendo Switch presentation was disappointingly meh beyond imagination.

I'm seriously wondering now how much money NVDA can actually make from their Nintendo partnership. This is a not a good opening look for NVDA share prices in 2017.

Tesla better deliver on time with the Model 3 launch or I don't know what's going to happen.

Get ready for a bumpy ride if you're an NVDA shareholder!

Usobuko

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, that Nintendo Switch presentation was disappointingly meh beyond imagination.

I'm seriously wondering now how much money NVDA can actually make from their Nintendo partnership. This is a not a good opening look for NVDA share prices in 2017.

Tesla better deliver on time with the Model 3 launch or I don't know what's going to happen.

It's going to push more people into PC gaming but yes I do agree that's minuscule in numbers because most have already made the transition and the number of core Nintendo gamers weren't even that big to began with.

Nvidia going lower is providing me opportunity tho.

Consoles are not a big money maker for hardware partners anyway as far as I know. Doubt the profits on it were going to be large anyway.

Mrbob

man, biotech is proper fucked for a long while
I think it is fighting out of the bottom right now. I've been buying vht since it was getting crushed late last year and am up any 10 percent now. I'll probably stay in it for a long time since I think it still has a good way up to go. But yeah Gilead may not be a good buy but I have a tight stop on.

FinKL

I noticed that most financials "crushed" their earnings and some of the financial stocks (even XLF financial ETF) ended up below it's opening halfway through the day. Usually good news is + for the stock? Or is it a combination of market sentiment and upper ceiling that is bringing it down?

hurzelein

The recent surge of Nvidia isn't about gaming consoles or gaming audiences anyway. It's about AI and Deep Learning. You need GPUs for that because they can handle matrice calculations much better, and these topics will only get bigger. I am hoping Nvidia is pulling back to 80 etc. will get in then.

Usobuko

Banned
The recent surge of Nvidia isn't about gaming consoles or gaming audiences anyway. It's about AI and Deep Learning. You need GPUs for that because they can handle matrice calculations much better, and these topics will only get bigger. I am hoping Nvidia is pulling back to 80 etc. will get in then.

A question if I may, do you see this as a likely outcome?

hurzelein

A question if I may, do you see this as a likely outcome?

I dunno. I'm an amateur trader, but I see it pulling back to 90+ $. I probably would open a very small position then and hope for it to pull back more. I want to get in, but I have learned my lesson with stocks that went high very quickly and with a huge downside risk on the chart.

Mrbob

I noticed that most financials "crushed" their earnings and some of the financial stocks (even XLF financial ETF) ended up below it's opening halfway through the day. Usually good news is + for the stock? Or is it a combination of market sentiment and upper ceiling that is bringing it down?
I think financials are in consolidation mode before the next leg up. Plus we need to see a couple rate hikes. If this happens I can see financials going much higher.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So where will the DOW be when the president of the US gets arrested along with many in his administration?

I think the Trump bubble is gone, going to 18,000 from here.

I am finally in the black on Tesla/Solar City again! It took me... almost a year but I'm back. I might just cash out, I was down close to 50% at one point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I am finally in the black on Tesla/Solar City again! It took me... almost a year but I'm back. I might just cash out, I was down close to 50% at one point.

I had SCTY shares, they're down 49% now as TSLA shares, to give you an idea. Long way to go for me!

Good idea to invest in twitter if it hits $15 a share?

i'm in at that price
didn't buy FB at $20
and still regret it

twitters problem is the incompetent management. but it's still a unique platform that is to big to fail (or better be bought out in that case)
i just don't see more downwards potential for twitter. sure this stock could trade sideways for some more months or even year. but do we expect the stock to tank to $5 or sub 5bn marketcap?
solid risk reward potential imho
but a stock that does not make 200 - 1000% is a fail investment for me. so keep that in mind for my evaluation of stocks

no trading advice of couse
edit: does some one here know the next 100.000% + stock?

woodland

Anyone know why kiosk-makers don't get much rep on Wall Street? I know the automation boom is still new, but I can only see more and more Panera's/McDonald's/etc getting these, especially if minimum wage goes up.

Had to dig through 6 articles to find a name, and then scour websites to find an industry site with a bunch of companies on it. Do most make these in-house or something?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
i'm in at that price
didn't buy FB at $20
and still regret it

twitters problem is the incompetent management. but it's still a unique platform that is to big to fail (or better be bought out in that case)
i just don't see more downwards potential for twitter. sure this stock could trade sideways for some more months or even year. but do we expect the stock to tank to $5 or sub 5bn marketcap?
solid risk reward potential imho
but a stock that does not make 200 - 1000% is a fail investment for me. so keep that in mind for my evaluation of stocks

no trading advice of couse
edit: does some one here know the next 100.000% + stock?

Call me crazy but I see Tesla as the next Apple. In terms of growth. Wait until the Giga factory is in full form. They will be dropping cars like candies.

Usobuko

Banned
Trump is the biggest catalyst for Twitter.

First he succeeded against all odds with Twitter and branded it an alternate form of news where the mainstream media are tagged as fake. It's his main platform now, when Trump tweets, everyone panics.

This is extremely important because Trump shown the alt-right leaders in the world that Twitter is a good platform for them and their parties. Embrace twitter because the mainstream media isn't going to be favorable to you etc.

With the upcoming alt-right rising sentiment in Europe, twitter, maybe more than any other social media, would be more utilised by these folks.

Think their leftist opponents would just sit still and be slaughtered? More likely they would do the same too to get their msg across.

I hope I'm right, I'm buying twitter. If I can't stop the alt-right movement, might as well make money from it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

First he succeeded against all odds with Twitter and branded it an alternate form of news where the mainstream media are tagged as fake. It's his main platform now, when Trump tweets, everyone panics.

This is extremely important because Trump shown the alt-right leaders in the world that Twitter is a good platform for them and their parties. Embrace twitter because the mainstream media isn't going to be favorable to you etc.

With the upcoming alt-right rising sentiment in Europe, twitter, maybe more than any other social media, would be more utilised by these folks.

Think their leftist opponents would just sit still and be slaughtered? More likely they would do the same too to get their msg across.

I hope I'm right, I'm buying twitter. If I can't stop the alt-right movement, might as well make money from it.

lol

the news and opinionative highness fought out on twitter and not the tv anymore, could be huge, yes

still the management need to monetize and start to grow the userbase + get more usefull userdata

btw. here is the last 100.000% + stock

roflvakl6.png

1k invested in september 2016 could net you close to 3 million now ;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

So how does Twitter manage to make money in all this? Twitter doesn't really know anything about its users at all, so its ability to do anything worthwhile is really low. Any attempts to monetize it will undermine the platform. If they try to get more info about their users, they will lose people. No one is better positioned currently than FB, and to a lesser extent Google, to do something useful with big data. Twitter can't, and the anonymity that is behind the support you mention is actually undermining the company's ability to generate income. They can pretty much only hope that their ads will be clicked, and their ability to do targeted ads is extremely poor, mainly based on who you follow, what you search for, that kind of unreliable stuff.

Dead company, only hope you can have is that some other dumb company buys it.

btw. here is the last 100.000% + stock

roflvakl6.png

1k invested in september 2016 could net you close to 3 million now ;)

The biggest increase I see is 21771%, which means 1k would be worth 217k.

ColdPizza

Banned
Dead company, only hope you can have is that some other dumb company buys it.

Naw. They'll figure it out. The layoffs last Q was a good start. They pull in a ton of ad revenues and have a competent web streaming component.

But if you want a dumb company to overpay for it, it should probably be SoftBank.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Naw. They'll figure it out. The layoffs last Q was a good start. They pull in a ton of ad revenues and have a competent web streaming component.

But if you want a dumb company to overpay for it, it should probably be SoftBank.

How can they manage to make their ads targeted efficiently with low data on its users beyond who they follow? Sure, ads will bring in some revenue, but the more ads they put the worst the user experience is, so the solution is ads that are increasingly pertinent to the users, and Twitter has very little to improve its knowledge of its users. So they'll have to rely on third party adverts providers, and reduce their own share of profit from advertising.

Getting more retention through streaming could help, but again, it's only useful with ads, and people don't want some dumb 30s ad just to see a tweeted video.

Don't be fooled if their numbers go up as a result of massive cost cutting, but let's see a year after doing so, I expect a bounce and then a persistent drop, then someone eventually buys them out.

hurzelein

They can pretty much only hope that their ads will be clicked, and their ability to do targeted ads is extremely poor, mainly based on who you follow, what you search for, that kind of unreliable stuff.

Unreliable stuff? Lol. Who you follow on Twitter, your interactions and searches actually gives a much better impression of what a user is interested in than FB. The problem is that 1) this is much more difficult to sell, 2) FB just has a much better demographic for ads.

1) FB has much more comprehensive Name, Age, Sex, Location kind of data which plays very well with major companies because it is easy to grasp. "We will make your eco friendly sports car ad target 10 million white middle aged males" plays much better than "We will make the same ad target 10 millon users that are interested in Cars, Tesla, Elon Musk, financials, stocks, Greenpiece, blabla". In fact, I have never seen so many targeted ads that I actually liked as on Twitter.

2) I would say Twitter is pretty much 40% well educated people, 30% average Joe, 30% bots. Facebook is 70% average Joe...Exorbitant user growth won't happen for Twitter. Of the potential people in the western world that are interested in a "network of interestes" vs. a "network of friends", most already use Twitter.

ColdPizza

Banned
How can they manage to make their ads targeted efficiently with low data on its users beyond who they follow? Sure, ads will bring in some revenue, but the more ads they put the worst the user experience is, so the solution is ads that are increasingly pertinent to the users, and Twitter has very little to improve its knowledge of its users. So they'll have to rely on third party adverts providers, and reduce their own share of profit from advertising.

Getting more retention through streaming could help, but again, it's only useful with ads, and people don't want some dumb 30s ad just to see a tweeted video.

Don't be fooled if their numbers go up as a result of massive cost cutting, but let's see a year after doing so, I expect a bounce and then a persistent drop, then someone eventually buys them out.

I just don't see Twitter dying or going away. It can be a great time news feed and aggregator, but you're right in that it doesn't gather as much personal data as FB can. As for the ads, I never notice them in the app...

I think they should also be looking at paid premium feeds. Idiots might actually pay to follow Trump.

hurzelein

I just don't see Twitter dying or going away. It can be a great time news feed and aggregator, but you're right in that it doesn't gather as much personal data as FB can. As for the ads, I never notice them in the app....

Yep, Twitter is not what the majority of people want, but it's an essential plattform for million of people, with no alternatives. Given better $/user than right now, that has to be worth something.

FinKL

AMD got fucked today. Maybe I should have bailed after it broke through $11. Guess we'll see, I think it still has upside potential.

I see short term potential (CPU Ryzen seems to be doing hitting all the marks for value+perf), but their long term GPU (Vega) is coming out super late, and we're not even sure it will best Nvidia.

ColdPizza

Banned
I see short term potential (CPU Ryzen seems to be doing hitting all the marks for value+perf), but their long term GPU (Vega) is coming out super late, and we're not even sure it will best Nvidia.

People are also underestimating their deal with Alibaba for their cloud services.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just don't see Twitter dying or going away. It can be a great time news feed and aggregator, but you're right in that it doesn't gather as much personal data as FB can. As for the ads, I never notice them in the app...

I think they should also be looking at paid premium feeds. Idiots might actually pay to follow Trump.

Instagram, which is owned by FB, actually got me to click (as in, view the linked account, or follow it) or watch ads many times, because it has a very really clear idea of what I want to see or not, especially since it piggies-back on FB data. But do people really like that Twitter would have to add a bunch of images, auto-play videos, etc., to its feed to get people to see or click on the ads? That's integral to how Instagram works, so it's fairly seamless and not very intrusive.

Twitter isn't going away, it's just an extremely risky stock with little upswing potential beyond being bought out, at least for the foreseeable future. There has to be better places to put your money if you want high risk/reward. Netflix would be such a better buy, but not if you want to catch it a low. 2017 will be very big for Netflix, it's going auntie/uncle/mom and dad mainstream.

edit: Netflix beat earnings, up 7%

So ehm, this might a weird amateur-level fantasy type question, but with the stock market welcoming the Idiot Government selected by Trump before the inauguration by going up, is it possible and / or probable that we're looking at a blow-up?
I mean, a kind of similar pattern took place in 2000 where the market went up for a bit and then, blam, it was nothing. But the reason I'm suspicious of it is because they aren't in the office until Friday, when reality suddenly has to hit everyone with all its consequences. And since Wall Street typically does not predict stuff, I'm wondering whether I'm the only pessimist in the room.

I'm no trader or investor, I'm just wondering how others feel about it.

Top Bottom