• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok, Flix, I'm blaming you if I get banned.

The website is tickrz.com.

In addition to screening for stocks you can ask the robot what he thinks about a stock. Just click 'Ask tickrzbot'.

I haven't added the entire S&P 500 yet--I'm nearly finished.

Please let me know what you think. It's not really optimized for mobile so desktop is definitely the best experience.

If I search MON it doesn't show monstanto, I have to type the full name.

I'm guessing the ranking is negatively affected by Not Available data too.

Cool site though.

Usobuko

Banned
What with the rather noticeable decline of tech stock today?

Reallocation of funds again?

I already sold tho. Good luck to you :)

Now I can look at other shares like Well Fargo, Disney or CD Projekt Red.

CD Projekt was around 38 when I typed this, it's now over 50. Urgh.

Then again, well fargo give me 22% gain in 2 months, can't complain.

What with the rather noticeable decline of tech stock today?

Reallocation of funds again?
Or oil keeping up the other indexes. Big jumps there because of OPEC.

And damn my consumer goods are hurting also. I should stop looking and just see how it is end of the year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bonds too, :_( At least my dividends are high, 4% (BLV and VNQ).

Red day in Europe again. Bad week here. If it drops about 2-3% lower I'll hit some buy targets at least and grab some more high dividend stocks to add to my portfolio.

me theory about the markets is that we're not in a trump rally but in a goodbye obama rally.
i think we're gonna see a lot of red in a few weeks to introduce trump as wall street is not on his side.

Maybesew

me theory about the markets is that we're not in a trump rally but in a goodbye obama rally.
i think we're gonna see a lot of red in a few weeks to introduce trump as wall street is not on his side.

Interesting thought, but he is filling his cabinet with ex-goldman sachs and wilbur ross couldn't be more wall street

vpance

My thoughts as well. I'm looking out for a major market top within the next 6 months.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My theory is Trump will do anything to get praised by rich people, wall street and co, and it will screw the US economy like Bush and co. did. They'll put more pressure on the middle class, enrich the rich further, and it will do the usual self-inflicted economic contraction. Add some inflation to it.

Last year the S&P500 dropped more than 10 percent between 4 December and 12 February (2016).

I wonder if this year will bring some kind of santa claus rally. I guess a lot will depend on the Fed's incoming rate decision and how much the US market cares about the results of the Italian referendum (I've a feeling they will vote "no").

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They will vote no but I expect that to be a dud and not do much beyond initial panic. I don't think a yes is expected.

edit: Tax question for you guys. I own shares in a US dollar account. When I will sell them, I'll make X, let's say $1000US. Then I convert that to CAD, and it becomes $1250 with today's exchange. The actual capital gain is relative to what the CAD was worth when I originally converted the money to USD right? So if the CAD was 1-1 with the USD, it's a $250 capital gain. But if the rate was different, how the heck do I know what the CAD's exchange rate was if I made multiple different conversions over time? I might have exchanged money from CAD to USD at various rates to buy those shares, what rate am I supposed to take into account in all this?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well that vote was predictable.

I like this quote I read on Bloomberg:

"It took three days for the markets to absorb Brexit, three hours for Trump, three minutes for Italy's referendum."

Nice day in Europe. Just not for consumer goods it seems, which is my biggest stake at the moment. At least Daimler recovered again and is almost in the green. See if it can go back to 80 in the next months and make a nice profit for me.

My Renault is recovering too, would be nice to see them in the green sometime soonish.

Speaking of Euroland, my Monsanto has been clawing it's way back too. Hopefully we hear more concrete news about that Bayer acquisition at some point.

My Renault is recovering too, would be nice to see them in the green sometime soonish.

Speaking of Euroland, my Monsanto has been clawing it's way back too. Hopefully we hear more concrete news about that Bayer acquisition at some point.
Hoping with you, because I need my Bayer back above 92 please.

Should I invest heavily in Amazon? Talking a 5-10 year investment, not a short.
That's a very tough thing to predict. Personally, I don't invest long term in companies not returning dividends, but that is just me.

In any case, I would say to try and built a diversified portfolio. Never just pick one stock, because you'd just be gambling.

Maybesew

This rally in the russell is seriously wild bananas at this point. My father suggested that nobody wants to sell until january where there will be lower capital gains taxes for next year under trump.

This rally in the russell is seriously wild bananas at this point. My father suggested that nobody wants to sell until january where there will be lower capital gains taxes for next year under trump.

Wont that take time to be legislated on, surely it's not as if come January he can just change the taxes at the drop of a hat the moment he sits down in the oval office.

Bond market going to suffer when interest rates rises?

I've been working at Franklin Templeton investments for two months now, and the monthly dividend payout on some of the accounts are insane, lol.

Thankfully as an employee I can purchase funds at with no sales charge. The question is what funds to invest in with very little money I have. I would let the dividends reinvest, too.

I mean I have access to fund info, but some of it goes beyond my head.

Maybesew

Wont that take time to be legislated on, surely it's not as if come January he can just change the taxes at the drop of a hat the moment he sits down in the oval office.

Yes, but it's not impossible. I believe congress has until the end of January to get something in. My accountant told me something to that effect last year when I was asking him how soon I could file.

Bond market going to suffer when interest rates rises?

I've been working at Franklin Templeton investments for two months now, and the monthly dividend payout on some of the accounts are insane, lol.

Thankfully as an employee I can purchase funds at with no sales charge. The question is what funds to invest in with very little money I have. I would let the dividends reinvest, too.

I mean I have access to fund info, but some of it goes beyond my head.

You are too late. 30 year bond future has gone from 177 over the summer to 149 today. Could definitely go further, but that's a big move that's already been made.

I had to take profits on some of my winners today (bac, dis & iwm). I hope I'll be able to reenter some of these positions next week.

(yeah I know that trying to time the market is a fool's errand).

I had to take profits on some of my winners today (bac, dis & iwm). I hope I'll be able to reenter some of these positions next week.

(yeah I know that trying to time the market is a fool's errand).
Expecting a drop down again? Five days in a row up now is a bit much... Debating to sell or not with a small profit of a few hundred euro on Bayer and Daimler. Got Daimler for ages now and it is finally in the green again...

I'm more relaxed when my positions are in the red, because then I just wait and am not afraid to sell at the wrong time.

Well expecting is probably the wrong word, it's more hoping for a small drop. Fed meetings are usually good for some extra volatility, so we'll see.

I don't know the specifics about the two German stocks you mentioned, but if they pay a nice (and sustainable) dividend you shouldn't be in a rush to sell.

Maybesew

Expecting a drop down again? Five days in a row up now is a bit much... Debating to sell or not with a small profit of a few hundred euro on Bayer and Daimler. Got Daimler for ages now and it is finally in the green again...

I'm more relaxed when my positions are in the red, because then I just wait and am not afraid to sell at the wrong time.

Five? More like 20 in the case of IWM

What do you guys think about XOM? It's been running up recently, although now that their CEO is being considered for Secretary of State they are rising sharply.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't like how much the Canadian dollar is rising, I hope it tanks again, my investments are in USD and most of it had been converted when the dollar was at parity. Oil rally won't last anyway, and there is likely trouble ahead for the economy anyway.

So, this is interesting. Bid on a newspaper stock I own of +50% above the current trading price. Trading has been halted until the companies come with a statement. I don't own that much of it, but it would be paying the bills for the month.

Anyone know how these things go? Does a stock tend to jump up towards the takeover price after opening again?

Edit: Trading resumed. And sold.

All this panic and talk for month after month about some .25% rate increases still seem so crazy to me. Didn't those rates used to be 5%+ a few years back? Time it got to a normal level. Although I get there is more stuff involved of course.

All this panic and talk for month after month about some .25% rate increases still seem so crazy to me. Didn't those rates used to be 5%+ a few years back? Time it got to a normal level. Although I get there is more stuff involved of course.

Well yeah, but it was ~8 years of 0% interest rates which has never happened before besides The Great Depression (which didn't have 0 for long). All that time money has been funneled into stocks since bonds/CDs/savings accounts don't yield shit. Whole situation is unprecedented.

Looks like TSLA might be in a short squeeze. Also CSIQ is ridiculous, soley because its a chinese solar company it has a 5 PE, .22 PEG ratio, 140mil profits, growing revenue....just lol.

NVDA crossed through the $100 barrier today before settling back in at double digits.

If you like money, it's not too late to buy in. 2017 is the year of Nintendo Switch and Tesla Model 3. The sky's the limit here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So with Trump putting a crazy pro-default goldbug in charge of the budget, he and Canada's housing bubble growing while the economy slows, where the heck do I put my money if I want to play things safe for the next two years or so?

Serious question.

Top Bottom