• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really feel like moving like 80% of my investments back into CAD to lock in those gains, most of it was invested when the CAD was at parity or even higher. I just don't like Vanguard's Canadian ETFs as much as the US ones which have offered better returns, higher dividends.

Might do it anyway though, even if I think the CAD has lower to go since I think the economy will seriously tank, I want to consolidate my investments and not invest twice in similar ETFs in my Canadian and US account.

Any input?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I really feel like moving like 80% of my investments back into CAD to lock in those gains, most of it was invested when the CAD was at parity or even higher. I just don't like Vanguard's Canadian ETFs as much as the US ones which have offered better returns, higher dividends.

Might do it anyway though, even if I think the CAD has lower to go since I think the economy will seriously tank, I want to consolidate my investments and not invest twice in similar ETFs in my Canadian and US account.

you can always choose&change between CAD-hedged and CAD-unhedged versions, depending on how you think the CAD will go. FWIW I'm perfectly happy with Vanguard Canada's offerings, it makes things just a lot easier and I'm not noticing a lower return or anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
you can always choose&change between CAD-hedged and CAD-unhedged versions, depending on how you think the CAD will go. FWIW I'm perfectly happy with Vanguard Canada's offerings, it makes things just a lot easier and I'm not noticing a lower return or anything.

Compare BLV to VBU.

Also, can't find a REIT ETF like VNQ. VEA also has a higher dividend than the Canadian equivalent. Is there even a VTI equivalent in their Canadian ETFs?

I'm not talking about ETFs with Canadian holdings btw.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I'm after some newbie advice - In Jan/Feb of this year I thought i'd give the stock market a try and purchased around £9k of shares across 12 stocks, mostly American Tech Companies. Some have done well, one has done really well (Shopify), some have barely moved and a couple have disappointed (nVidia and AMD), overall I'm up 2% which I'm happy with. Currently I'm sitting on them for a couple of weeks while they post their earnings reports and I hopefully get some dividends. But after that I feel that I need to start managing them and I'm looking for how best to go about this, specifically I have a couple of questions: -

1] Should I sell the worst performing stocks and invest that money in the best performing stocks?

2] Should I take the profit in the best performing stocks, because ”nobody ever got poor making a profit"?

3] Should I leave them all be as long-term investments?

Any and all advice gratefully appreciated!

See if anyone here knew the answer to your first two questions, we would all be reach.

1). Should you sell the worst performing stocks? - Well it depends, which once are you talking about? it could be just a temporary dip its hard to tell. You guess is just as good as ours

2). Should you just take the profit? - this is mostly my way. But then again it doesn't always work. For example, last time when I took my profit from Google and Tesla the stock skyrocketed after I sold it. But yesterday I was too greedy to sell Amazon, and it was back to where it was couple of days ago. Again, you can't predict the market.

3). Should I leave it for long term? - If you don't need the money right now, and the companies you bought are strong. YES. This is what I would do. I would still look for total market ETFs though. if you really going for that long term plan.

Any input?

Could you tell me which US ETF you bought? Most of my money are in XEF.TO, XEC.TO, VUN.TO, VCE.TO, VUS.TO

am I doing it wrong?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
US:
VTI, VNQ, BLV, VEA.

CAN:
VIU, VFV, VBU.

You're not doing it wrong, it's up to you.

Personally I'm planning to move toward: US total market or S&P, Developed Excluding US (usually excludes Canada too, don't care), emerging markets, Bonds/REITS.

I think I'll move everything to my CAD account, sit it all in VFV, VUI, VEE, and only keep BVL and VNQ in my US account since I can't find the equivalent. That being said, I really don't feel like moving money into VEE right now, it skyrocketed recently. I actually feel like moving everything to something safer for the next few months.

I've never traded stocks, but it's something I've always wanted to learn and do in-depth. My cousin's been doing a ton of research into Canadian cannabis firms and invested in a couple, and his reasoning is pretty sound, so I might follow his lead and make my first investment a thousand dollars out of my tax refund. It's an amount that I'm willing to experiment with, and if I lose it, it would suck, but it's not the end of the world.

Cannabis stocks are probably still a bit risky, but based on my research, I think they'll perform reasonably well into 2018. It's a market I'm interested in, so I guess I'm just gonna... jump in. Like a fool.

Smiley90

Compare BLV to VBU.

Also, can't find a REIT ETF like VNQ. VEA also has a higher dividend than the Canadian equivalent. Is there even a VTI equivalent in their Canadian ETFs?

I'm not talking about ETFs with Canadian holdings btw.

US:
VTI, VNQ, BLV, VEA.

CAN:
VIU, VFV, VBU.

You're not doing it wrong, it's up to you.

Personally I'm planning to move toward: US total market or S&P, Developed Excluding US (usually excludes Canada too, don't care), emerging markets, Bonds/REITS.

I think I'll move everything to my CAD account, sit it all in VFV, VUI, VEE, and only keep BVL and VNQ in my US account since I can't find the equivalent. That being said, I really don't feel like moving money into VEE right now, it skyrocketed recently. I actually feel like moving everything to something safer for the next few months.

the canadian equivalent of VTI is VUN.

and if you look at the last year, VUN actually outperformed VTI... VUN has outperformed VTI since inception, actually. e.g. VUN is up 63% since Jan1, 2014, while VTI is only up 28%. but to each their own!

there's also VDU and VEE for developed&emerging, respectively, if you're interested in those.

VBU doesn't look terrible? There's also the fact that VLB doesn't look much worse than BLV? There's also VAB&VSB that have much longer history than the comparatively "young" VLB (VLB started in february 2017!)

dno_1966

See if anyone here knew the answer to your first two questions, we would all be reach.

1). Should you sell the worst performing stocks? - Well it depends, which once are you talking about? it could be just a temporary dip its hard to tell. You guess is just as good as ours

2). Should you just take the profit? - this is mostly my way. But then again it doesn't always work. For example, last time when I took my profit from Google and Tesla the stock skyrocketed after I sold it. But yesterday I was too greedy to sell Amazon, and it was back to where it was couple of days ago. Again, you can't predict the market.

3). Should I leave it for long term? - If you don't need the money right now, and the companies you bought are strong. YES. This is what I would do. I would still look for total market ETFs though. if you really going for that long term plan.

I think i knew they were impossible questions to answer but appreciate the reply all the same ;-) AMD, nVidia and FirstSolar are the worst performing but i'm tempted to sit on them. For reference Tesla has done well for me but the best performer is Shopify, their performance has pretty much offset all my losses combined.

I will look into ETF's, thanks for the tip.

I think i knew they were impossible questions to answer but appreciate the reply all the same ;-) AMD, nVidia and FirstSolar are the worst performing but i'm tempted to sit on them. For reference Tesla has done well for me but the best performer is Shopify, their performance has pretty much offset all my losses combined.

I will look into ETF's, thanks for the tip.
Why the focus on tech? Don't forget there are a ton of other sectors that might have stocks you would do well with. Finance, manufacturing, resources, etc. That is why ETFs are good also, because they capture the total market. And then next to that, do a view single stocks, but with money you can afford to lose without too much trouble.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
the canadian equivalent of VTI is VUN.

and if you look at the last year, VUN actually outperformed VTI... VUN has outperformed VTI since inception, actually. e.g. VUN is up 63% since Jan1, 2014, while VTI is only up 28%. but to each their own!

there's also VDU and VEE for developed&emerging, respectively, if you're interested in those.

VBU doesn't look terrible? There's also the fact that VLB doesn't look much worse than BLV? There's also VAB&VSB that have much longer history than the comparatively "young" VLB (VLB started in february 2017!)

Yeah actually I have VFV which even if it just tracks the S&P is pretty much the same return as VUN, slightly higher dividend at the moment.

Could take VDU over VIU, essentially the same return. VDU has a higher dividend at the moment.

So VFV, VDU, VEE, BLV, VNQ. I don't like VLB since it's all Canadian, but maybe VBG would be good, I could split it 40% BLV 60% VBG.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If Space X ever went public I wonder if it would just never actually trade and just be added to Tesla.

Can I ask where some of you manage your stocks through? I want to open up an account that I would manage the transactions myself but not sure where would be an ideal place to do it.

Probably starting off with a couple thousand $$.

ColdPizza

Banned
Can I ask where some of you manage your stocks through? I want to open up an account that I would manage the transactions myself but not sure where would be an ideal place to do it.

You have your pick of different online brokers such as TDAmeritrade, Scottrade (TD just bought them though), etc...

See if you can find one that will give you some free trades up front.

I'm just using my bank, they have reasonable fees and give interest on money that is not invested at the moment.

There are ton of online brokers, depends a bit on the country which one you want to use.

BeforeU

If canada then Questrade is great

Mrbob

Wow AMD got pummelled.

So did Twilio. Apple might be in trouble too.

Tech about to die?

Edit:. Didn't initially notice Apple increased their dividend. That will save the stock.

First Solar with good results, finally some good news, up 8% in Pre-Market.

Well, I'm still 33% in the red with this. xD

Edit: First Solar up 19% as of now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I moved half my portfolio back in CAD. Nice to finally lock in that CAD depreciation gain since it was at parity. I think the CAD is likely to go down further into the mid to high 60s since I can't see the BoC increasing interest rates soon, but whatever the case, I can move the rest later, you never really know. The bank is really in a difficult position though, the CAD is falling so inflation might need to be dealt with, but increasing rates would torpedo housing.

edit: Tesla nooooo

My cash is ready to buy more Tesla. I sold some Nvidia and liquidated my entire AMD stake a couple weeks ago.

If you're looking to get in on Tesla, when the markets open tomorrow is your opportunity. No one really knows what will happen between now and the end of 2018 but if the Model 3 isn't an eventual success it would literally go against Elon Musk's entire history up until now.

Smiley90

I moved half my portfolio back in CAD. Nice to finally lock in that CAD depreciation gain since it was at parity. I think the CAD is likely to go down further into the mid to high 60s since I can't see the BoC increasing interest rates soon, but whatever the case, I can move the rest later, you never really know. The bank is really in a difficult position though, the CAD is falling so inflation might need to be dealt with, but increasing rates would torpedo housing.

edit: Tesla nooooo

I still have a lot of my CAD-investments unhedged, contemplating locking them in by moving them into CAD-hedged funds at some point soon though. I really have no idea how to time the market though...

So, I have a savings plan for Alphabet and it's +20% (my largest position in the portfolio).

Should I take some of the win on the way or just let this run?

This can run to infinite if they keep growing (what I expect), so I'm not sure how to handle this.

BeforeU

So, I have a savings plan for Alphabet and it's +20% (my largest position in the portfolio).

This can run to infinite if they keep growing (what I expect), so I'm not sure how to handle this.

If you dont need the money now, i would wouodnt touch it.

Set a stop loss at the amount you want to lock in. Don't set it too close, since then it might trigger on a small dip.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tesla falling, but I'm not going to add now. I'd wait for it to reach maybe 210 to add, otherwise I just sit on my current position.

I doubt it will reach 210 unless there is some incredibly terrible unforeseen disaster with the Model 3 where they are literally exploding which requires a recall of 50,000 cars or something.

Let's see where the floor is today. I'll probably buy more today or tomorrow.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I doubt it will reach 210 unless there is some incredibly terrible unforeseen disaster with the Model 3 where they are literally exploding which requires a recall of 50,000 cars or something.

Let's see where the floor is today. I'll probably buy more today or tomorrow.

It can easily go there if the economy slows down.

It can easily go there if the economy slows down.

They apparently have enough Model 3 preorders to cover all the production through 2018. They aren't going to be having issues selling every car they make, unlike the other automakers. Elon is already on record saying they don't even have plans to do any marketing of the Model 3 "for 6-9 months" because there's literally no point in marketing a car which has all production already pre-ordered through the end of next year.

They apparently have enough Model 3 preorders to cover all the production through 2018. They aren't going to be having issues selling every car they make, unlike the other automakers. Elon is already on record saying they don't even have plans to do any marketing of the Model 3 "for 6-9 months" because there's literally no point in marketing a car which has all production already pre-ordered through the end of next year.
They won't have problems selling them. The big question is, is the company simply worth this much money? Can they keep selling them in 5 or 10 years and grow to a size of Ford and General Motors. Will be interesting to see.

They won't have problems selling them. The big question is, is the company simply worth this much money? Can they keep selling them in 5 or 10 years and grow to a size of Ford and General Motors. Will be interesting to see.

Read the Ashlee Vance biography and you will understand why you should bet on Elon.

BeforeU

It really isn't. This is all just based on the potential growth. I just dont buy the hype. Their quality control is TERRIBLE. if they cant produce reliable products right now, i dont know how they will handle those millions of Model 3 they will b3 produce by the end of 2018.

And btw Isn't Chevrolet beating them in their own game right now with Bolt?

It will be interesting to see how the company evolve in next 5 years.

Maxximo

Go OLED!

I think I'm kinda good at this, FUEL and OLED have been really good choices.

Now it's BABA turn to shine(pls?) got on @ around 80$ but I think the potential of this stock is still untapped.

Nice green day. My supermarket stock (and biggest position) almost in the green again. Bit of a recovery for steel. Hope this continues for a bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What's the best place to learn about stocks for a noob?

Investopedia had some great video series, short animated videos easy to understand.

You can also find virtual platforms to trade fake money. We used to have a GAF thread for this a few years ago.

Top Bottom