• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

tokkun

Is this for just ETFs like the S&P 500, Total Market, etc, or individual stock?

For market indices. You might speculate that individual stocks could behave differently since they have higher volatility than indices, but my guess is that "buy immediately" still wins most of the time.

Mrbob

I mostly agree with that for etfs. Individual stocks are a lot more volatile than market funds with more percentage swings. Though I'd be super nervous going all in on a SP500 index right now. If you bought the Nasdaq at the top in 2000 it took like 12 years to get back up to where it was.

Unknown Solider my Tesla yacht is disappearing. Only thing I'm going to be able to afford is a water inner tube.

Jimrpg

I would not worry in the slightest about TSLA.

Elon Musk just tweeted they are ahead of schedule with the Model 3.

Goldman Sachs comes out with a sell the next day? Garbage. They just want in before it rises again.

If it drops below 300 just buy more.

Mrbob

Didn't Goldman drop the target to 180? At least they have some stones for offering a target at a significant distance from the current stock price.

Too many times these analysts are late on targets. Like a stock runs from 180 to 350 with the analyst saying nothing. Once at 350 the analyst slaps a 360 target on. Well congrats on that bold call.

I mostly agree with that for etfs. Individual stocks are a lot more volatile than market funds with more percentage swings. Though I'd be super nervous going all in on a SP500 index right now. If you bought the Nasdaq at the top in 2000 it took like 12 years to get back up to where it was.

Unknown Solider my Tesla yacht is disappearing. Only thing I'm going to be able to afford is a water inner tube.
Thing with ETFs is you just need to keep buying. If the thing crashes, not a problem. Buy more next month and it will recover over time. Unless you are planning to cash out soon of course.

Mrbob

Yeah I agree and it's what I personally do. I invest in ETFs every month. But if you went "all in" with a high percentage of your funds at the top of an etf index it can take a long time to make that money back. You can't buy as much if it's already invested.

The ideal ETF strategy is buy 'n' hold anyway, and if it's a properly broad ETF and you're taking advantage of your brokerage's DRIP (which you should) those gains accelerate in an up market.

edit: Ignoring distribution yields/DRIP in down markets leads to silly arguments like this one

Strange, my biotech (Kiadis Pharma) just went up almost 8% at the end of the day. Volume double the average. Still 50% down, but still nice to have a positive day.

Jimrpg

Didn't Goldman drop the target to 180? At least they have some stones for offering a target at a significant distance from the current stock price.

Too many times these analysts are late on targets. Like a stock runs from 180 to 350 with the analyst saying nothing. Once at 350 the analyst slaps a 360 target on. Well congrats on that bold call.

Did they? $180? Well they may as well drop it to below $50 seeing as Tesla is never going to make money.

Tesla remind me of Apple stock runs back in the day. As long as the car delivered is semi decent, it's the only thing in the market and it'll probably sell out due to brand recognition. Elons companies are pretty pie in the sky type stuff, but Tesla at least is a finished product more or less.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't forget interests which reduce how long it takes to recover, which broad etfs provide.

Maybesew

I would not worry in the slightest about TSLA.

Elon Musk just tweeted they are ahead of schedule with the Model 3.

Goldman Sachs comes out with a sell the next day? Garbage. They just want in before it rises again.

If it drops below 300 just buy more.

buy the rumor, sell the news

tokkun

Yeah I agree and it's what I personally do. I invest in ETFs every month. But if you went "all in" with a high percentage of your funds at the top of an etf index it can take a long time to make that money back. You can't buy as much if it's already invested.

It sounds like we are talking more about lump sum investing vs dollar cost averaging now, but I would still recommend lump sum.

Having the market crash the day after you invest is actually not such a bad thing to happen as long as you don't start panic selling. You trade your shares for a different index, realize a huge capital loss, and get to write off capital gains for years. A crash and recovery can be more financially advantageous than having the market stay flat.

buy the rumor, sell the news

This is looking like a real correction now.

I would say buy in now while it's a bargain but I don't know where the bottom will be. I do know that Tesla isn't going to have meaningful competition until 2019 or 2020 at the earliest so Goldman can go fuck himself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this is a real major correction I would expect it to go down to 240. Who knows, I'm not bothering selling, just old SCTY shares that were converted to TSLA and I'm keeping them for years still. I'm not adding cause I'm not doing stock picking anymore for a while.

I guess it depends, there's a resistance around 295-300 where the old ATH was before this recent bull run. If it dips below that, 240 is a possibility. I mean it spent almost 2 years floating around 240-260 so if it goes back there then it's just reverting to an old stable level.

I remember earlier this year when NVDA hit it's old ATH of 120-ish, crushed earnings, and promptly dropped as low as the 90's before recovering and making a second wind run which has only recently ended. NVDA hit that 85-90 resistance and bounced off pretty consistently. Let's see if TSLA can do the same.

Melon Husk

290 is a pretty good guess, bounce from old highs. Nice volume today though. Buy if you want some rollercoaster action in your life.

Nasdaq doesn't look too hot. I've never liked the cat ears shape.

Still all eyes on AMD. Averaged up yesterday morning.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It sounds like we are talking more about lump sum investing vs dollar cost averaging now, but I would still recommend lump sum.

Having the market crash the day after you invest is actually not such a bad thing to happen as long as you don't start panic selling. You trade your shares for a different index, realize a huge capital loss, and get to write off capital gains for years. A crash and recovery can be more financially advantageous than having the market stay flat.

Does that really make sense? Assuming your portfolio was balanced and equities fell, it would find itself overweight on fixed income if those didn't fall as much or rose, so what would you really move your money to? You'd have to put more in equities and possibly sell some fixed income assets to rebalance.

I'm buying some TSLA. Not interested in calling the bottom, down 15% in a couple of days with no competition is just fine with me.

I don't doubt it will bounce but I am thinking it's a bull trap if it happens; you had the big run up, the hype, people then saying it's too high and that they'll get in on a dip, it dips. Now people will get in, but it will be weak hands, the big institutions will then sell since they got caught off guard on the previous drop and will be happy to relock their gains, which then causes all the weak hands to panic and the stock crashes.

If it is a classic bubble this is how it would play out. We are about to enter the bull trap if that's what is happening.

tokkun

Does that really make sense? Assuming your portfolio was balanced and equities fell, it would find itself overweight on fixed income if those didn't fall as much or rose, so what would you really move your money to? You'd have to put more in equities and possibly sell some fixed income assets to rebalance.

I mean trading one stock index for another stock index that is similar (but not so similar as to trigger wash sale rules). For instance sell total market and buy s&p 500.

Whether or not you want to rebalance your non-stock investments is a separate issue, although if the stock market has just crashed and stocks are cheap, it is probably an opportune thing to do.

This discussion assumes you do not need liquidity and plan to hold the stocks for a while. If you are already retired and need to sell stocks to pay bills, then it doesn't work so well.

I don't doubt it will bounce but I am thinking it's a bull trap if it happens; you had the big run up, the hype, people then saying it's too high and that they'll get in on a dip, it dips. Now people will get in, but it will be weak hands, the big institutions will then sell since they got caught off guard on the previous drop and will be happy to relock their gains, which then causes all the weak hands to panic and the stock crashes.

If it is a classic bubble this is how it would play out. We are about to enter the bull trap if that's what is happening.

That's fine. I've learned not to try to call bottoms and predict what the market will do. I'm wrong as often as I'm right. The only thing I know for sure is that a) TSLA is still fundamentally strong, b) Elon Musk is a great and innovative leader, c) It's down way more than it should be for 5 days time.

I'm already down about 2% since I bought it (just today! I bought it at 315 and I think it closed at like 308). That's fine. I've been looking for an dip to buy TSLA on for a while, so this is as good a time as any.

That's fine. I've learned not to try to call bottoms and predict what the market will do. I'm wrong as often as I'm right. The only thing I know for sure is that a) TSLA is still fundamentally strong, b) Elon Musk is a great and innovative leader, c) It's down way more than it should be for 5 days time.

I'm already down about 2% since I bought it (just today! I bought it at 315 and I think it closed at like 308). That's fine. I've been looking for an dip to buy TSLA on for a while, so this is as good a time as any.
I'm a bit scared for Tesla, since other car companies are jumping on the electric cars left and right. Once the German car makers get it really rolling, what does that mean for Tesla.

Cars aren't really a high markup field when talking about the regular car sales. And premium car sales aren't justifying their market value right now.

I think Tesla will be around for a long time and a major player, but at current prices... tough call.

Good to see my insurance stock (NN Group) is rising. Setting a tight stop loss, since it is at all time highs almost. And my biotech up 7% again. Only 45% to go until break even. Go, go, go.

Parch

What are some of the better investment radio shows or podcasts? I've occasionally listened to The Motley Fool. It's alright I suppose.

Sounds like the Bear is coming. It might already be here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm a bit scared for Tesla, since other car companies are jumping on the electric cars left and right. Once the German car makers get it really rolling, what does that mean for Tesla.

Cars aren't really a high markup field when talking about the regular car sales. And premium car sales aren't justifying their market value right now.

I think Tesla will be around for a long time and a major player, but at current prices... tough call.

Good to see my insurance stock (NN Group) is rising. Setting a tight stop loss, since it is at all time highs almost. And my biotech up 7% again. Only 45% to go until break even. Go, go, go.

Tesla isn't supposed to be just a car company though, that's why it's not longer Tesla Motors.

Alcander

I got in on tesla at $145, it has done incredibly well for me since then, but these recent drops have me nervous. I have no real reason to sell any time soon, but still.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am still bleeding money with GOOG and amazon lol

Still holding it, hoping the earnings are good. Not that I need to sell it but i like to see my portfolio in green.

And its about time for Tesla pull back. That stock was going up everyday for no damn reason.

Mrbob

I'll get more Tesla stock at 145 as well.

I think we might be on for some choppy waters for the entire market soon if the health care bill doesn't get passed.

I'll get more Tesla stock at 145 as well.

I think we might be on for some choppy waters for the entire market soon if the health care bill doesn't get passed.

market is still bullish about the tax cut portion of it surviving, at least in a separate tax reform bill

despite broader disagreements about Medicaid and blanket repeal vs. repeal & replace, Republicans were nearly unanimous in their agreement re: tax cuts

Mrbob

Might be bye bye Snap time. Fell below it's IPO price, lock up period ending soon and more shares about to flood the market.

Might be bye bye Snap time. Fell below it's IPO price, lock up period ending soon and more shares about to flood the market.
Still don't get what the business model for Snap was. They literally do something that their larger competitor (Facebook) could add and has now added to their more popular platforms in an instant. They stood no chance.

Still don't get what the business model for Snap was. They literally do something that their larger competitor (Facebook) could add and has now added to their more popular platforms in an instant. They stood no chance.

Instagram was more than happy to hammer the final nail in Snap's coffin

it is (was) the very definition of a fad product, their mistake was not offering up themselves to a larger company as soon as it started taking off

Mrbob

The other problem with Snap stock is it offers zero voting rights. You need to be firing on all cylinders if you offer your shareholders no say. Otherwise the stock will get dumped in any downturn.

Mrbob

Whelp that Trump jr email release doesn't look good. This may be the start of a correction. Or maybe the market will shrug it off again. It's been extremely resistant but I feel like something has to give.

tokkun

Interesting article from Larry Swedroe on all the "sure thing" predictions for 2017 that have not come to pass (and in most cases, the opposite of the prediction actually occurred):

http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/swedroe-gurus-mostly-strike-out-again

The Results

Our final tally for the period shows that six “sure things” failed to occur, while just one actually happened. We also had one draw. I’ll report back again at the end of the third quarter. The following table shows the historical record since I began this series in 2010:
The table shows that only about 25% of sure things actually came to pass. Keep these results in mind the next time you hear some guru’s forecast.

He may be cherrypicking a bit in the predictions he chooses to include, but it does get across the general argument that you should not put too much faith in predictions over short time horizons, no matter how logical they sound.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My prediction about oil has been right a year ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210769755&postcount=14752

Oil ain't go up for long if it does at all. $50 is the best price you'll see, ever. It will probably stay around 35-40 on good days. Any increase leads to oversupply.

Or back in january 2016: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192965366&postcount=1485
Everyone wants to get rid of the stuff, there's huge demand for liquidity so selling all the oil at any price is the new modus operandi of all oil producers. The current jump in oil prices will end up stalling since any increase in prices will justify continuing to expand supply, outpacing demand any time the global economy hits a bump. It's a new normal and we're not getting out of it.

Oil should become marginalized as an engine of economic growth.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191415644&postcount=54
No. Prices can't go back up without leading to higher output. If they cut output, the price rises, competition rises, prices lower. Opec entered a trap of its own making and they won't be able to get out of it. Your best bet would be 50$ next year and even that is unlikely.

Or June 2015!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170350460&postcount=59
To me, unless Saudi Arabia actually bought the oil fields and never exploited them, I don't see how they would magically prevent oil from reaching the market again. Sure, for some time companies will go bust on the low prices, but expense cutting will be sought in any way while the oil still in the ground just becomes more valuable in the future, so eventually the potential return rate is high enough for exploitation to start again.

What then? OPEC will boost production again? They can't play this game indefinitely, unless they manage to do this until no one even cares about oil anymore.

It seems more likely to me that prices will slowly creep back up, we just won't see as much speculation; like after any bubble, people are more risk-aware, so they won't want to get caught twice. If anything, that's a good thing, it means prices will stabilize at a lower price than they would have otherwise been if OPEC had never gone this route to begin with.

And I stick to it. Oil prices are never going back above 50 other than temporarily as a result of a crisis.

I would like oil to at least go up about 20% one time more so I can get rid of my ETF there.

My steel stock recovering nicely again. 10% for the month. Just about 10% more to go and it is back in the green.

tokkun

I would like oil to at least go up about 20% one time more so I can get rid of my ETF there.

My steel stock recovering nicely again. 10% for the month. Just about 10% more to go and it is back in the green.

If you are from the US, why not just sell them to realize the capital loss?

For you guys who are stock pickers, I would think that banking some capital losses would be valuable to offset short term capital gains on your taxes. Even as a buy & hold index guy myself, I kind of secretly wish we would see a big market dip so I could bank some losses to offset my dividends.

If you are from the US, why not just sell them to realize the capital loss?

For you guys who are stock pickers, I would think that banking some capital losses would be valuable to offset short term capital gains on your taxes. Even as a buy & hold index guy myself, I kind of secretly wish we would see a big market dip so I could bank some losses to offset my dividends.
Not in the US. Over here we get taxed for our assets at the start of the year. They just expect a 4% return and tax that for 30%. So you pay 1.2% over your assets. First 25.000 or so is tax free. Dividend tax is deducted from the asset tax also, so you don't pay double.

It works out when the market goes up by more. But if it goes down... you are still taxed as if you made a profit. And for people just putting money in the bank it is bad, because interest rates are below 1.2%, so you are actually losing money that way.

tokkun

Not in the US. Over here we get taxed for our assets at the start of the year. They just expect a 4% return and tax that for 30%. So you pay 1.2% over your assets. First 25.000 or so is tax free. Dividend tax is deducted from the asset tax also, so you don't pay double.

It works out when the market goes up by more. But if it goes down... you are still taxed as if you made a profit. And for people just putting money in the bank it is bad, because interest rates are below 1.2%, so you are actually losing money that way.

That's interesting. Which country, if you don't mind saying?

That's interesting. Which country, if you don't mind saying?
Netherlands.

I think this info here is pretty much correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_gains_tax#Netherlands

Box 3: taxable income from savings and investments (viz. real estate) However a "theoretical capital yield" of 4% is taxed at a rate of 30% (so 1.2%) but only if the savings plus stocks of a person exceed a certain threshold (around 20.000 euros a person).[27]

In general an individual will not have to pay tax on capital gains. So if the main residence is sold or shares are sold the profit is not taxable. This is different if the transaction(s) exceed(s) normal asset management. In that case the capital gain is treated as income from other activities or even business income.

Different rules apply for actual professional traders though.

With the low interest rate we have seen more people getting into investing again lately, because otherwise you are literally paying more taxes over your assets then you get in interest from the bank.

Wow, taxation of total assets? I'm guessing not a lot of rich people choose to remain domiciled in the Netherlands.
It's not that bad really, there are a lot of loopholes and exemptions. For most lower income people, they won't pay it over their savings, since that is lower then 20.000 euro. If you do your retirement savings through certain ways it is exempt also (but that means locking down your assets, because if you need it earlier you need to pay an extra tax over it).

Most upper middle class and rich people get into real estate, because those are not counted towards these assets. Or you have your income run through a middle company and stall it there, only paying yourself a certain amount in income to your person.

And it works out when the market goes up by more of course. And we just had a row of pretty good years. It is probably mostly bad for the middle class that has some savings now with the extremely low interest rate. Or when the market tanks and you still get taxed for it.

Seems like FAANG strikes back after the dip.

First Solar is up almost 60% in the last three months and I'm still in the fucking red. xD

9% to go and I'm back in the green after a year.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Seems like FAANG strikes back after the dip.

First Solar is up almost 60% in the last three months and I'm still in the fucking red. xD

9% to go and I'm back in the green after a year.

Thats crazy man. I don't know how you do it. Holding stock even after seeing almost 70% dip. How? You always knew it was eventually come back up?

Thats crazy man. I don't know how you do it. Holding stock even after seeing almost 70% dip. How? You always knew it was eventually come back up?
I think I didn't care that much or I'm just careless regarding FSLR. xD

On the one hand it helps that it's not a large position (but it isn't small either), on the other hand it's the largest solar company in the US and the market for renewables is looming, therefore I see potential.

Side note: Mathematically I was like -30% or -40% with FSLR, which is still pretty big.

If 10$ falls to 3$ it shows -70%, but it actually has to grow 233% from 3$ to 10$.

Top Bottom