• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Short answer: No

Long Answer: I use it, I've done orders for that amount before and nope, not a problem at all. Depending on your ETF you'll probably have a bit of a spread with that volume (e.g. you likely won't find 13'000$ worth of stock x.TO available at 45.50/stock, but it'll be an assortment of 45.50, 45.51, 45.52 etc) if you order market. If you order by limit, it will fill as many at 45.50 as it can and the rest will be on hold until more is available. If the ETF is rising, you want a market order anyway though because you lose more by not buying a spread than by paying a penny more per stock.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone trade cryptocurrencies? I decided to put some money into a few random currencies over the weekend. Then just let them sit for 10 years. Potential downside is low (basically my initial investment), but potential upside is thousands of percentage points.

No but I saw Bitcoin was up 20% today alone which is crazy.

Yea I jumped in over the weekend when it was $4000, it's already $4250, lol. I actually don't even want to trade bitcoin specifically. Its market cap is already high enough that I don't think you're going to get rich off of it. But emerging cryptocurrencies are a different story. It seems easy to just spread some initial investment (of which you're prepared to lose 100%), over 10 or 15 different emerging cryptocurrencies, and then just wait it out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hope you guys bought that NVDA dip!

Its fucking bullshit man, i swear if I would have bought 7% dip, today it would have fell another 7%...just because I didnt get it. Its back to where it was.

I kept buying google on dip and now i have fucking 28 GOOG in my portfolio. And and i am still in deep red. I only want to keep 10 for long term.

tokkun

Anyone trade cryptocurrencies? I decided to put some money into a few random currencies over the weekend. Then just let them sit for 10 years. Potential downside is low (basically my initial investment), but potential upside is thousands of percentage points.

It's giving me flashbacks of when I was a kid and everyone was buying up first edition releases of new comic books and storing them in mylar bags in their attics on the chance that they would be worth a fortune some day. Same thing with baseball cards.

Mrbob

172.35 is the number Nvidia stock needs to power through or it just made another higher low at 169.

Could dip down to 158 before charging back up.

One of the more interesting stocks to me right now is ulta salon. It's been in bear market mode since hitting an all time high over 300 and the dreaded "death cross" happened today. However I see these stores popping up all over around me and they have always solidly beat earnings. Not in it yet as I think it has some more downside but good companies tend to move back up. Right now it's at roughly a 25% discount from it's all time high.

If NVDA dips to 158 again I'm going to add to my stake. I haven't added since 134 because the sheer growth in what I already hold has put me well over any reasonable percentage of a portfolio that anyone recommends but it keeps going up so YOLO.

I'm keeping an eye on TSLA too, looking for another good entry point. I should have added to my stake during that dip down to 300's just before the Model 3 unveil. I really hope there's at least one more dip before it heads straight for yacht club territory.

Mrbob

I'm watching baba closely too. It's run so hard into earnings I'll pass if it boosts up on earnings. But if it goes down on a sell the news event of good earnings tomorrow morning I'm in

My only other concern of of Trump tanks this market in general. Growth stocks will get hit the worst.

So...I have a lot of debt at about 70K, but I've been rising through the ranks at my company, making more and more, and getting my old student loans under control. At this point, they are set to be paid off in 4 years at max if I keep paying extra every month. I've been pondering paying off even more into my loans, but have been debating taking a bit of my extra money and investing. Best to start as early as I can, I figured, and because of my debts I didn't start until very late for retirement. I figured looking into some other investments might be a smart move, but the other part of my brain says it is dumb while I have debt I haven't completely wiped out.

c7NJRa2.gif

I actually only hold Alibaba myself but I'm going to add Tencent at some point.

The real question is, why the hell have I been sleeping on TGT so hard and how much more room does it have to run???

Maxximo

And thats why I've been holding on to BABA for the last 2 years.

Go Jack!

Have been holding on to this for the last 2 years, bought @ 70 and kept adding. Currently it's my largest position but I'm thinking to start taking off some profits.

BeforeU

BABA to the moon lol

This year the growth has been insane. I think i am going to jump on this. Small position ~4k but still looks good for long term

Mrbob

Baba is a beast and I think one of the best long term stocks to hold but waiting for a pullback first. This stock has had some big swings though it ultimately moves up.

Congrats to those who already owned it before earnings.

I've been thinking of dabbling in some stocks (low volume, buy and hold trading, ideally) since I have a decent amount of extra cash lying around, and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with Fidelity in the past? I use them for my retirement funds, but I wasn't sure if they were a good option for a brokerage account as well. Just sticking with them seemed like the simplest option for me, but I wasn't sure if I was missing out a better company for this stuff.

I've been thinking of dabbling in some stocks (low volume, buy and hold trading, ideally) since I have a decent amount of extra cash lying around, and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with Fidelity in the past? I use them for my retirement funds, but I wasn't sure if they were a good option for a brokerage account as well. Just sticking with them seemed like the simplest option for me, but I wasn't sure if I was missing out a better company for this stuff.

Fidelity is a fine broker, and the benefits of having all of your investments on the same, familiar system are bigger than people often give credit for.

But if you're doing low-volume trading, make a plan and don't go crazy with buying/selling. The $5 commission is low but constitutes a non-negligible portion of your initial investment and can eat a significant chunk of your earnings if you do a lot of tinkering.

Also note that you can get several dozen commission-free Fidelity and iShares ETFs.

Mrbob

SP500 stocks all blew right through their 50 day moving averages today. If SP500 can't hold 2416-2420 then we might be going down to 2300. I personally think this is needed. Can't keep going up forever without some sort of pullback. End of August through September is typically choppy.

The great irony of today is one of the green stocks was SNAP.

asdad123

This is what I currently have in stocks.

PEG 3614.55
VTSMX 11284.07
VGTSX 3976.6
AAPL 947.16

Should I move anything over to bonds, if so which? I'm only 26 so I'm not looking to retire any time soon. I am looking to buy a house in the next three years so I may draw from this if I need to.

BeforeU

PEG 3614.55
VTSMX 11284.07
VGTSX 3976.6
AAPL 947.16

Should I move anything over to bonds, if so which? I'm only 26 so I'm not looking to retire any time soon. I am looking to buy a house in the next three years so I may draw from this if I need to.

damn bro, you already a millionaire at age 26. Nice

That's lot of AAPL though.

Morts

Seeing red on VOO, TSLA, F, and AFSI. Which is everything I own outside of retirement. Probably just going to try to ignore it for a while.

Is it dumb to even contemplate dumping money into TCL's stock? Only reason it popped into my head is because of purchasing (or, i will be soon) one of their new tv's... I mean they're getting great reviews and are cheap, so the thought process was if they picked up steam like Vizio or something and really got popular, could maybe benefit??

But I'm also an idiot with this stuff, so feel free to tell me I'd be wasting my money.

Fidelity is a fine broker, and the benefits of having all of your investments on the same, familiar system are bigger than people often give credit for.

But if you're doing low-volume trading, make a plan and don't go crazy with buying/selling. The $5 commission is low but constitutes a non-negligible portion of your initial investment and can eat a significant chunk of your earnings if you do a lot of tinkering.

Also note that you can get several dozen commission-free Fidelity and iShares ETFs.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll just stick with Fidelity then. I am mainly looking to take about $3-$5k and buy a dozen or so shares of some various tech stocks related to companies/segments of the market I am generally pretty knowledgeable about. For my retirement accounts (Roth IRA/Company 401k/HSA), I stick with low cost index funds, but I've had the itch to try to place a few bets on specific companies that I feel have great potential for growth.

BeforeU

So everything is down but SNAP? Whats up with this company. Who are these people buying SNAP

Ecotic

I've been designing a stock trading model the past 2-3 years. I made a custom momentum oscillator that can be 'overlayed' to how a stock index moves (it also works on Apple). I've been keeping results the past two years and it's incredible. It doubles money almost every 4 months, or nearly 800% return a year. The model doesn't rely upon crazy options strategies, I just buy the accompanying 3x leveraged bull and bear ETF, over and over again.

The gains are actually very meager, I average one trade a day or 252 trades a year and the average win is .008%. But I go all-in on margin every time and it compounds quickly. The win rate over the past year has been about 75%, and the losses are actually smaller than the gains. It's very conservative that way in that day to day I'm just moving within a 1% change. I'm deeply excited because it's clear to me I'm underperforming the model's potential and that additional rules could extract more gains. The volume in these index ETFs and Apple are near unlimited so in the future it would be no problem to buy and sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth, even millions. My model generally gives me between a 2 and 15 minute window to initiate a trade, so that's enough time to spread out high volume over both the index fund and its accompanying 3x leveraged ETF.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been designing a stock trading model the past 2-3 years. I made a custom momentum oscillator that can be 'overlayed' to how a stock index moves (it also works on Apple). I've been keeping results the past two years and it's incredible. It doubles money almost every 4 months, or nearly 800% return a year. The model doesn't rely upon crazy options strategies, I just buy the accompanying 3x leveraged bull and bear ETF, over and over again.

The gains are actually very meager, I average one trade a day or 252 trades a year and the average win is .008%. But I go all-in on margin every time and it compounds quickly. The win rate over the past year has been about 75%, and the losses are actually smaller than the gains. It's very conservative that way in that day to day I'm just moving within a 1% change. I'm deeply excited because it's clear to me I'm underperforming the model's potential and that additional rules could extract more gains. The volume in these index ETFs and Apple are near unlimited so in the future it would be no problem to buy and sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth, even millions. My model generally gives me between a 2 and 15 minute window to initiate a trade, so that's enough time to spread out high volume over both the index fund and its accompanying 3x leveraged ETF.

uh huh

Mrbob

Market went a little weird today. Down, then up, then leveling off before a sell off at close.

I think SNAP is going up due to shorts covering. The short interest is insane and until the stock can break 15 the down trend overall stays intact.

PEG 3614.55
VTSMX 11284.07
VGTSX 3976.6
AAPL 947.16

If you are using the money really soon (next 6 to 12 months) I would probably pull out the money you are going to use as a down payment and keep the rest invested. No one can truly predict where the market is going but when you own stocks you always have to brace yourself for a big dip. Since you are only 26 you weren't in the market for the 2008 crash. Not saying this is going to happen right now, and in fact I think the likelihood of a crash is small. I'm not trying to scare you, however you always need to brace for a dip no matter what stock(s) you are investing in. Heck the market may even go up 5 to 10 % before you buy a house but you have to ask yourself are you willing to risk the downside versus the upside if you need the money in a relatively short term. I would sell your AAPL and PEG first because they aren't broad market funds. Sell VTSMX and VGTSX after and keep whatever you don't need of these two funds in the market at the same ratio you have them at. I guess ultimately my rule of thumb is any money you absolutely need in the short term I wouldn't keep in the stock market.

Edit: Yeah bravo if you are crushing it on leveraged ETFs but that's not a game I want to get into. Though I'm a little confused how there is only a daily 1% change in leveraged ETFs. Leveraged ETFs typically move up and down fast because that's what they are supposed to do. Can't believe a 4X leveraged ETF got approved, good grief.

Ecotic

Yeah I didn't expect anyone to believe me without receipts. I have excel files, but you don't want those, you want my transaction records. I began about two weeks ago, give me until the end of December and you should see my balance double trading the same 3x leveraged ETF and Apple over and over again.

alejob

Yeah I didn't expect anyone to believe me without receipts. I have excel files, but you don't want those, you want my transaction records. I began about two weeks ago, give me until the end of December and you should see my balance double trading the same 3x leveraged ETF and Apple over and over again.

Well you had a good run. The next 2 years won't be like the last 2 so be careful.

Ecotic

Well you had a good run. The next 2 years won't be like the last 2 so be careful.

It's always a concern that conditions will be different going forward but I built my model very robustly. I get signals to both buy and short so it doesn't matter which way the market is moving, all I really need is volatility. But the great thing about building a model around the Russell 2000 index is that it's always volatile. Keep in mind I haven't backtested two years of results and declared it a success, I kept records over two running years to verify it.

If the market is flat which it sometimes is, I have designed it to keep the win rate up even in those conditions. Upon a buy or sell signal I set three targets. I close out 50% the position at a very conservative 40 cent gain per share, I close another 25% at a still conservative 75 cent gain, and close out the remaining 25% at a $2.25 gain. By closing out half the position at a small gain I greatly increase the probability that I will either have a winning trade or a negligible loss. The use of three target levels has greatly smoothed out the results while still leaving myself 25% of the position to catch a big move.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can't you test how it would have performed over the past decades ?

Ecotic

Can't you test how it would have performed over the past decades ?

No it works on the 2 minute chart level, so I only get about one month of past data at any time to test on, so I've only been able to test its resiliency going forward in time. But the way the Russell 2000 behaves doesn't really change much (which is to say it moves in big, multi-day swings before the move becomes exhausted and reverses direction), so I have that going for me.

Whenever I read about people making models and then backtesting them, only to see it fail going forward, I think their mistake is making a model based upon one stock. A stock can change the way it behaves because the company's situation can change. The Russell 2000's behavior doesn't change much, it's a jittery index that moves more violently in powerful swings from day to day.

Mrbob

Might be best to ignore the market for the next 6 weeks. End of August are low volume moves every day because the big boys are on vacation until September. September is typically one of the choppiest months of the year.

I'm going to use this weakness to start some new positions. Amazon is looking tasty at this level.

Morts

Might be best to ignore the market for the next 6 weeks. End of August are low volume moves every day because the big boys are on vacation until September. September is typically one of the choppiest months of the year.

I'm going to use this weakness to start some new positions. Amazon is looking tasty at this level.

I didn't know this, thanks.

Maxximo

BABA to the moon

So glad i didn't sell,though the rest of my portfolio is still wobbly with low volume. I guess it's that time of the year for stocks...

Maxximo

Prepare for a drop, I just bought a few shares and stuff always goes down after that ;)

Let's hope it does i need to buy some more. xD

Edit: I'm kicking myself for not buying the dip under 150... but when you start hearing "nuclear holocaust" i guess buying stocks is the last thing one would do. The general feeling is that we're threading on the razor's edge on so many fronts.

Let's hope it does i need to buy some more. xD

Edit: I'm kicking myself for not buying the dip under 150... but when you start hearing "nuclear holocaust" i guess buying stocks is the last thing one would do. The general feeling is that we're threading on the razor's edge on so many fronts.
I was looking at it last week too, but didn't buy. It's only a few shares, so I'll buy a bit more if it really goes down, since I think BABA will do well long term. Or buy more if it goes up and set stop losses to lock in some profit along the way.

BeforeU

wow nice come back today

What you guys think is a good price to jump on BABA? Hoping for a dip lol

Edit:

lmao dat SNAP rally. I am pretty sure lot of people royally got fucked with options.

Top Bottom