• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
Appreciate the help.

I am done with penny stocks. Most of my portfolio consists of ARK and other ETFs (70%) and 15% is in stuff like AAPL, MSFT, and TSLA. I hope I see a healthy recovery on those...any idea how long corrections take to recover? I know crashes can sometimes take years to recover, not including the Covid crash last March.

I won't panic sell...I already did with crypto last night, but I was getting 2018 PTSD seeing how fast it was dropping, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't part of that again.

corrections last about a few weeks. The last one took about 2 weeks. That was in September October I believe.

Go deeper away from tech. Value, retail, energy etc will do well further down the year.

once we hit q3 I’ll start worrying about inflation. True inflation risk could start rising around that time.

Right now it’s yield curve risk so watch how the 10 year treasury behaves

GHG

Jesus Christ.

Don't want to sound like an asshole but please diversify.

Sorry to hear you guys down so much. Don't panic sell your best positions they will recover with time if they are strong companies.

Would you say it's worth holding all of the following together at the same time?:
  • ARKK
  • VO
  • VOO
  • BLOK
No way I'm getting rid of BLOK at the moment, plus it's a small position but I'm willing to trim/cut the rest if necessary. I'm just wary of there being too much crossover.

I also have some LIT and I'm looking into grabbing XLB or something similar.

Dynasty8

corrections last about a few weeks. The last one took about 2 weeks. That was in September October I believe.

Go deeper away from tech. Value, retail, energy etc will do well further down the year.

once we hit q3 I’ll start worrying about inflation. True inflation risk could start rising around that time.

Right now it’s yield curve risk so watch how the 10 year treasury behaves

What do you do during inflation risk? Just want to prep myself to make smarter decisions here.

I've been trying to learn everything to get a better sense on how the economy works. I've been looking into things such as the 10 year treasury and past corrections and crashes. So typically when the treasury is up, stocks tend to fall (and vice versa)?

I've learned more on GAF these past couple months than I have in my entirety at school in regards to the stock market/finance.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Would you say it's worth holding all of the following together at the same time?:
  • ARKK
  • VO
  • VOO
  • BLOK
No way I'm getting rid of BLOK at the moment, plus it's a small position but I'm willing to trim/cut the rest if necessary. I'm just wary of there being too much crossover.

I also have some LIT and I'm looking into grabbing XLB or something similar.

ARKK is risky but VOO is an index fund which is always good. BLOK is tied to ARKK I think. So if BLOK falls so does ARKK. If I’m not mistaken ARKK largest holding is TSLA. Bc TSLA CFO went and put the company cash in Bitcoin, both will move somewhat in tandem.

VO and VOO are safe bets the S&P will end higher this year Bc of the amount of liquidity. I would say around 16.0% higher so there is room for so another 12.0%

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
What do you do during inflation risk? Just want to prep myself to make smarter decisions here.

I've been trying to learn everything to get a better sense on how the economy works. I've been looking into things such as the 10 year treasury and past corrections and crashes. So typically when the treasury is up, stocks tend to fall (and vice versa)?

I've learned more on GAF these past couple months than I have in my entirety at school in regards to the stock market/finance.

if there is inflation risk building. Watch company margins. Don’t go into companies where margins are already thin. Look for companies that have capacity to shift cost onto the consumer without sacrificing market share.

Appl is a good example of this.

If inflation really begins to build ( watch the 10 year inflation benchmark. Any thing over 3.0% is worrying, anything over 4.0% you hold cash)

Keep watching how 10 year yield behaves, if they don’t change rates that could be problematic and if it goes over 1.75% we could see another problem in valuations arising

GHG

ARKK is risky but VOO is an index fund which is always good. BLOK is tied to ARKK I think. So if BLOK falls so does ARKK. If I’m not mistaken ARKK largest holding is TSLA. Bc TSLA CFO went and put the company cash in Bitcoin, both will move somewhat in tandem.

VO and VOO are safe bets the S&P will end higher this year Bc of the amount of liquidity. I would say around 16.0% higher so there is room for so another 12.0%

Thanks man. The only thing that I would say is that ARKK and BLOK don't seem to perform similarly in my experience, I'd even say there's very little correlation between the performance of the two. It might be down to ARKK being heavily weighted towards Tesla whereas it's not in BLOK's holdings at all.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thanks man. The only thing that I would say is that ARKK and BLOK don't seem to perform similarly in my experience, I'd even say there's very little correlation between the performance of the two. It might be down to ARKK being heavily weighted towards Tesla whereas it's not in BLOK's holdings at all.

I never checked it but do a 3 month rolling correlation on it between ARKK and BLOC.

Reactions: GHG

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Maybe I am freaking out over nothing, but what burry is saying is pretty alarming IMO

To the guy asking about ARK, just know that if the market crashes those funds will be hit especially hard. I was going to drop 25g into ark funds yesterday, but now I will wait.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Burry is right about ETFs hurting price discovery but that can be applied to almost every ETF.

I don’t think we in a deep bubble but we are approaching there pretty quickly

Honey Bunny

Well. This is painful. Down 4% and could have been much worse if I didn't sell off yesterday. Only things in the green are some oil companies and commodity ETFs.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
uVrEERO.jpg

Hopefully I will still have enough to buy a gun and a bullet after this :messenger_sunglasses:

ManofOne

Plus Member
ManofOne ManofOne what are your thoughts on AAPL?
Tech is toxic right now but how much more of a beating can apple of all things take? 😂

Appl just broke its technical floor at 125. So it’s officially at market perform right now. It will rise and fall based on the market. I still have it as one of my better plays for the year alongside google and MSFT.

Im not great with technicals but appl is valued at 178 but bc of the yield curve its value has fallen .

I would hold off on buying it since this is a bearish pattern
vUga1zi.jpg

It could fall to low 110s

ManofOne

Plus Member
2utW6XB.jpg

Up on my low volatility portfolio. It been consistent gains for the last few weeks. My all equity portfolio down 0.41%

Dynasty8

2utW6XB.jpg

Up on my low volatility portfolio. It been consistent gains for the last few weeks. My all equity portfolio down 0.41%

I don't know if you'll be open to it, but would you mind sharing your portfolio and some strategies? I know you brought up diversification for different sectors, but how do you personally have it allocated? The fact that you are green today is pretty awesome. (y)

Do you do a lot of day/swing trading or mostly long term investing? Just want to see what kind of exit strategies you have in place? Thanks for all you do.

Cathie wood is pegging me :(

And this is why we keep cash ready for days like today:

Wood did not respond to a request for comments on Tuesday’s trading, but in an interview on CNBC last week, she made it clear that on days or weeks when her favorite stocks were down notably, she was often a buyer: “We are considered a liquidity provider, which means when people are selling, we will be buying and when people are buying, and these are investors in retail and institutional, we are likely to be taking profits,” she said.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I don't know if you'll be open to it, but would you mind sharing your portfolio and some strategies? I know you brought up diversification for different sectors, but how do you personally have it allocated? The fact that you are green today is pretty awesome. (y)

Do you do a lot of day/swing trading or mostly long term investing? Just want to see what kind of exit strategies you have in place? Thanks for all you do.

So my allocation strategy is based on the economic environment and value investing tactics.

So a lot of fundamental analysis.

1) ALWAYS LOOK AT THE 10 YEAR YIELD CURVE - Always look at the 10 year because it is the most used rate for calculating behaviors and valuations. In valuations we use something called WACC or the weighted average cost of capital which is very simple to use. See below. It looks intimidating but its VERY EASY TO CALCULATE.

wacc%2B-%2Binvestopedia.png

The most important figures there are the cost of equity and the cost of debt. The cost of debt is based the current interest rate being paid on a bond by a company. So if Apple has a bond that is paying 4.0%. If the 10 year yield curve rises then it has to pay more for debt so from 4.0% to 5.0%.

The cost of equity is also a very simple formula known as CAPM which again varies based on the 10 year yield curve. So a change in the 10 year yield curve will increase the cost of debt and equity which in turn increases the cost of capital (WACC).

So if WACC increases then stocks with the highest equity duration meaning stocks that are the most susceptible to changes in the underlying 10 year yield curve will fall in value. This is what is happening now.

The 10 year can also tell you what the market is thinking example - inverse yield curve, convexity, reverse convexity etc.

2) DIVERSIFY -
Based on the yield curve and economic conditions if you have QUALITY STOCKS in almost every sector you can adjust the weight of your portfolio based on the underlying conditions.

So for example lets say you have a portfolio with 10% energy, 40% technology, 20% financials, 30% etfs. If the yield curve changes you can adjust the weights of your portolfiio easy. You sell more tech (you don't have to sell all of it) and shift more towards energy and financials.

You average price in energy and financials increase but b/c your portfolio is weighted more to energy and financials, when the market is down in tech, your portolfio does not suffer b/c you have a higher weight in energy and financials

When the market favors growth and tech, you then shift more of your weight away from energy and financials and into tech easily.

WHAT MATTERS IS YOU CHOOSE HIGH QUALITY, LOW VOLATILITY STOCKS

3) Understand VALUE AT RISK

Always know how much of your portoflio is at risk base on every standard deviation away from the mean. I posted a video on this, I recommend you watch it.

4) QUALITY ALWAYS WIN IN THE LONG RUN

Good companies will always win in the long run. I posted research on this. In bear markets, they are the quickest to return to their initial value when the market shifts from bear to bull.

There are other tips but they are far more complicated and these are easier to understand.

HoodWinked

crazy, today looked like it was going to be a disaster, but ended pretty decent

Man i bought and held mastercard for months and it didn't do shit, soon as I sell it goes up. I was going to use the funds to buy paypal but glad I didn't. Somehow MU is up i bought yesterday.

8Upwvd4.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My worst day since probably the covid meltdown days. Down 3.5%. Lightspeed lost back all the gains lately and was probably half my losses.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
crazy, today looked like it was going to be a disaster, but ended pretty decent

Man i bought and held mastercard for months and it didn't do shit, soon as I sell it goes up. I was going to use the funds to buy paypal but glad I didn't. Somehow MU is up i bought yesterday.

8Upwvd4.png

MU is a fantastic company. i was hoping TSM and ON would have gone up but the tech sector dragging them.

Delf

Banned
9% down on my long term holds.

HUGE gains on my short term/swing stuff.

I basically bought ZOM, DNN, GSAT, and CTXR on sale.
I'll be able to flip a bunch tomorrow to make some tiny profits.

Santos Mining gave me a 70% profit 😉
BTCY got smacked in the mouth and met my buy price I couldn't get yesterday. Up 13%
INOD a 2% boost.

Everything shit the bed tho, but 90% of my stuff is focused for catalyst in March and accumulating in dips. Other stuff is bets on future tech.

OBSV catalyst tomorrow. Hoping it stays on target and nets me something good.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Just got this E*TRADE alert. Not sure if it will affect GME stock price

GameStop announces resignation of CFO Jim Bell, effective March 26

• Jim Bell, EVP and Chief Financial Officer, will be resigning from his roles on March 26.
  • The company has initiated a search for a permanent CFO with the capabilities and qualifications to help accelerate GameStop''s transformation. A leading executive search firm has been retained to support the process. Internal and external candidates will be evaluated.
  • If a permanent replacement is not in place at the time of Mr. Bell''s departure, GameStop intends to appoint Diana Jajeh, who is currently SVP and Chief Accounting Officer, to the role of interim CFO.

Just got this E*TRADE alert. Not sure if it will affect GME stock price

GameStop announces resignation of CFO Jim Bell, effective March 26

• Jim Bell, EVP and Chief Financial Officer, will be resigning from his roles on March 26.
  • The company has initiated a search for a permanent CFO with the capabilities and qualifications to help accelerate GameStop''s transformation. A leading executive search firm has been retained to support the process. Internal and external candidates will be evaluated.
  • If a permanent replacement is not in place at the time of Mr. Bell''s departure, GameStop intends to appoint Diana Jajeh, who is currently SVP and Chief Accounting Officer, to the role of interim CFO.
It’s his fault what happened with GME. HE HAD TO GO.

/s

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

This is super concerning to me.

Agree, as a communist I also feel all Christian sentiment should be purged from public life, no matter how small or nuanced its expression. A direct reference like that is utterly unacceptable and should be called out relentlessly.

Top Bottom