• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks Koam

I didn't buy THQI (good thing, it dropped today). I placed a bid for CAE (TSX, traded as CGT on the NYSE). I'm not in a rush, if it doesn't pass by the end of the month I'll buy it at around market price.

BTW IMMR is up 5.98% as we speak:D

As for THQ like I said before I'm waiting for their next results. I think it will drop.

koam

Ether_Snake said:
Thanks Koam

I didn't buy THQI (good thing, it dropped today). I placed a bid for CAE (TSX, traded as CGT on the NYSE). I'm not in a rush, if it doesn't pass by the end of the month I'll buy it at around market price.

BTW IMMR is up 5.98% as we speak:D
As for THQ like I said before I'm waiting for their next results. I think it will drop.

:D

Your bid won't go through, TSX is closed today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
koam said:
:D

Your bid won't go through, TSX is closed today.

No I placed a what-you-call-it, timed bid? It's open till Oct 31, I placed it at 13.01.

_Rafa_

Banned
noob question:

Why do we see a big up in the stock price of a company that is about to be owned?

What will happen with the shares you own from that first company?

Between, Vonage has almost double up today.

yayaba

Cashed out my RIMM last Friday though it shot up again another $4 today. In retrospect I probably should've kept it another day and anticipated the high volume turnout today but chalk it up to me still being an investor newb.

I love a good earnings season.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
_Rafa_ said:
noob question:

Why do we see a big up in the stock price of a company that is about to be owned?

Well the shareholders will receive new shares in the buying company, and this usually means that they'll get an amount of shares that makes them richer than before:)

BTW sorry for the noobie question but anyone knows how to view ongoing buys/sells? Like on this page http://www.equitygroups.com/nasd/immr/messages/124693.html

koam

_Rafa_ said:
noob question:

Between, Vonage has almost double up today.

It depends. When I had OLED, I bought my shares at $5.35. The company went up to about $7 and then, some other company decided to buy them at $12 a share. This was announced in July I think and the buyout at $12 would happen in september. Basically, I had a choice, I could either sell my shares at $11.65 (which is what the price went up to after they announced the buy) or I could have waited until the deal went through in september and my shares would automatically be sold at $12. If the deal failed though, the stock would have plummeted. I decided to sell and buy something else instead of waiting 3 months for a 35 cent increase.

Sometimes though, a company will buy out another one and you'll get shares in the buying company. This would have happened if MSFT bought YHOO like it was rumored.

You have to see what the deal is.

Also, Vonage is a disaster. The company had their IPO (Initial Public Offering) last year at $17 a share. Since then, they've been a ski slope, doing worse and worse. In March, they got sued by Verizon for patent infridgment, and then again by Sprint which dropped their shares down to $3 and then $2 and eventually it dropped to 99 cents after they lost both cases. Today, Vonage announced that they would settle with Sprint. The only reason this was seen as a good thing is cause they might not go bankrupt, depends on Verizon. Their situation hasn't changed, they're still losing loads and loads of money, they're having problems getting new customers and they keep getting sued. I think they'll belly up within the year.

BTW sorry for the noobie question but anyone knows how to view ongoing buys/sells?

Your broker should show you the best Bid and best Ask prices. To see all of the bids and asks that are in effect, you'll need an active trader platform which you can only get if you're an active trader or have good connections.

beerbelly

Banned
I'm a bit interested in investing but as a student I've only saved up roughly $1000 CDN. I'm not even sure if it's worth my time with this measely budget. Can anyone suggest low cost stocks to start off? I'm certainly aware of the risks involved and though I don't have much money I know that $1000 is nothing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
beerbelly said:
I'm a bit interested in investing but as a student I've only saved up roughly $1000 CDN. I'm not even sure if it's worth my time with this measely budget. Can anyone suggest low cost stocks to start off? I'm certainly aware of the risks involved and though I don't have much money I know that $1000 is nothing.

I would suggest against investing. It may seam worth it in the sense that you COULD make money, but it's not worth it considering the amount you saved. Focus on school, having a good portfolio (as in, having skills/knowledge that will make you a good candidate over others when applying for a job, like learn a new language other than Spanish for example), and then do what you need to do to land a good job and never sit on your career. Once you have enough savings go ahead and invest some intelligently. But only when you feel like the rest of your professional life is on good foundations. Basically, you said yourself that $1000 is nothing. That alone is enough to know you shouldn't invest it:)

If you want to prepare to invest, to avoid making dumb mistakes, you can do a few things: One, register on http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/Homepage.aspx so you can trade virtually. This will get you interested in how the whole thing works without spending a penny.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No problem. Don't get carrier away either even if you see your earnings raise while playing this "game". In real life I never lost a dime (oh it will come) but when "playing" I've been in the red (because I took bigger risks). Use it just as a tool to learn the trade, and you'll make the mistakes we ALL make when we start investing (like placing a buy order at "market price" without realizing what it implies, not using limit-stop orders, buying during a peak rather than a drop, buying after a 52-week high, etc.). As long as you keep up with the news, look up at the company's fiscal results and never allow yourself to spend more than a dedicated amount of money that you specifically set apart for investments, then you'll be better off.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Some good quotes above:)

koam

Okay, I need to buy something today. I've got $4400 canadian to work with but i don't mind exchanging some to US funds. Anyone have anything interesting?

koam

Canadian tire isn't so good. I've had Monsanto on my watch list for a while now. I wish i jumped on the Garmin bandwaggon last week. It's up $20 since i suggested buying into it last week.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ATVI up again today, 2.79% (and another 2.34% in after hours).
TTWO up 2.00% today.
IMMR down 2.77% (I expected it). I'm confident in this tho so it's a keeper.

My bid for CAE (TSX) didn't pass today, and I don't know WTF is going on at RBC but my account hasn't updated since last Thursday and none of the stocks have updated as far as their value is concerned when I look at my account. This better be fixed by tomorrow.

I'm placing a new bid for CAE tomorrow, Koam you should check it out (but it's long term).

mrWalrus

Banned
yayaba said:
Cashed out my RIMM last Friday though it shot up again another $4 today. In retrospect I probably should've kept it another day and anticipated the high volume turnout today but chalk it up to me still being an investor newb.

I love a good earnings season.

Don't beat yourself up over it, you still probably got a nice hefty gain on RIMM.

As they say, Nobody ever went bankrupt taking a profit. :D

_Rafa_

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
ATVI up again today, 2.79% (and another 2.34% in after hours).
TTWO up 2.00% today.
IMMR down 2.77% (I expected it). I'm confident in this tho so it's a keeper.

My bid for CAE (TSX) didn't pass today, and I don't know WTF is going on at RBC but my account hasn't updated since last Thursday and none of the stocks have updated as far as their value is concerned when I look at my account. This better be fixed by tomorrow.

I'm placing a new bid for CAE tomorrow, Koam you should check it out (but it's long term).
yeah i'll check it out too. Seem the company is in good shape. I don't think it will be very profitable in the short term but maybe it can take 5-6$ on one year or two

Fuzzery

Does anyone know how fast these online brokerages are at executing trades? How bout reusing your capital and stuff? Can you do reasonably fast day trading with them? Also, anyone use Zecco? How is the withdrawl policy for them, if you put in 5k from a bank account, can you withdraw it right back out?

koam

CAE on which exchange? TSX or NYSE? I checked both and their last 6 months aren't anything special. I'm more into short term stocks, the only long term ones i choose pay out dividends. I'm don't like waiting 6 months for a stock to shoot up $6 when i can do that in under a month.

As for the online brokers. Fuzzery, don't put too much confidence in VSE. You have to keep in mind that it was fake money and you're doing risks you normally wouldn't with real money. Anyway, online direct brokers usually have a policy where your transactions are done in under 0.2 seconds.

Also, I don't know if this is your first time trading or not, but no matter how you place a transaction (via phone, online etc) there is always a 3 day settlement period. Basically, If you buy a stock today, it will take 3 business days until you officially own it. When you sell it, it takes another 3 days to settle. So if you sell today, you'll have to wait 3 days before you can withdraw the money. You want to make sure your broker allows you to buy and sell a transaction before you settle (i think most do). You still can't withdraw the money instantly but at least you can buy/sell in the same day.

Also, most firms rape you on withdrawals, transfer etc fees. It's usually best to place your money in and leave it there until you absolutely need it.

koam

Awesome NTDOY, awesome!

I just bought RCH, i think I overpaid ($21.19). Big risk but let's see what happens here. I didn't buy many shares, just 75.

$21.55 already :D

$22.17 :D

Tarazet

Chinese stocks are absolutely demented right now. CHNR (China Natural Resources) spiked 400% for no reason. They actually issued a press release saying they had no idea why their stock value went so high. I'm deep underwater trying to short one (in the VSE game), but it's just a matter of time before it corrects. It just can't keep going like this.

koam

sonarrat said:
Chinese stocks are absolutely demented right now. CHNR (China Natural Resources) spiked 400% for no reason. They actually issued a press release saying they had no idea why their stock value went so high. I'm deep underwater trying to short one (in the VSE game), but it's just a matter of time before it corrects. It just can't keep going like this.

:lol i had a feeling a short was what caused that drop from you.

Don't short chinese stocks.. ever. They're the new dot com. They're going to go up and up and up and then, it will all drop fast, but not now. You have a lot.. a LOT.. of misinformed people who are just riding the wave. It's all going to crash but you can just make a few bucks off it buy performing quick buys/sells.

That VSE game is messed up. I've been making >4% every single day but I'm still only 4th or 5th depending on when you check.

Tarazet

koam said:
:lol i had a feeling a short was what caused that drop from you.

Don't short chinese stocks.. ever. They're the new dot com. They're going to go up and up and up and then, it will all drop fast, but not now. You have a lot.. a LOT.. of misinformed people who are just riding the wave. It's all going to crash but you can just make a few bucks off it buy performing quick buys/sells.

That VSE game is messed up. I've been making >4% every single day but I'm still only 4th or 5th depending on when you check.

I'm already seeing the volume tailing off compared with the first couple of days, but the prices are still rising... on nothing. STV's P/E ratio is over 122. That's just completely fucking crazy.

koam

sonarrat said:
I'm already seeing the volume tailing off compared with the first couple of days, but the prices are still rising... on nothing. STV's P/E ratio is over 122. That's just completely fucking crazy.

It's cause they've open a market for us that's run by people who don't know shit about economy. Don't expect logic in chinese stocks.

Tarazet

koam said:
It's cause they've open a market for us that's run by people who don't know shit about economy. Don't expect logic in chinese stocks.

I can appreciate that. I can also bank on the fact that it will all come fluttering down like a house of cards in a crosswind.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ATVI down today by 1.83%. Which is ridiculous, they will have their second consecutive record quarter. This company is going to continue to eat market shares.

TTWO up again, 1.80%

IMMR down 1.73%

CAE down 0.59%

BTW Koam, I say CAE because they are a solid company and they have been getting a lot of contracts. They are totally under valued.

koam

Ether_Snake said:
ATVI down today by 1.83%. Which is ridiculous, they will have their second consecutive record quarter. This company is going to continue to eat market shares.

TTWO up again, 1.80%

IMMR down 1.73%

CAE down 0.59%

BTW Koam, I say CAE because they are a solid company and they have been getting a lot of contracts. They are totally under valued.

You didn't answer which CAE? CAE on toronto or CAE as in Cascade?
I got screwed with my chinese stock, it tumbled at the end of the day, i hope it recoups tomorrow. It's doing well after-hours.

Fuzzery

Yeah chinese stocks... I dunno. I can play american stocks pretty well, (I did make 20-25% off of them before I started going chinese), but the returns just aren't the same haha. With real money I probablyy will stick with american stocks for the most part, with some rare exceptions. And yeah, I know next to nothing about ummm the whole logistics of trading and how it works, but I know a little about stocks, the market, and human psychology.

Anyway, I hate trading in "Popular stocks" because its so much harder to gauge their real value. You know it could be overpriced, but that there's enough confidence in the general populace, and that the company is strong enough, that it could eventually reach that level. Yeah you have to go by investor psychology almost totally, which is of course riskier than value investing.

koam

Holy shits! The lowest bid price is $73.30 for NTDOY.PK. This is going to be an interesting start. Nintendo soars right off the bat.

lil smoke

Banned
koam said:
Holy shits! The lowest bid price is $73.30 for NTDOY.PK. This is going to be an interesting start. Nintendo soars right off the bat.
Yes! This is amazing! I'm going to make $200! :lol
I never expected it to succeed $70 and keep on chugging along! haha, anyone want to predict $80 now?

edit ^^ oh ok $120 by next holiday? :lol wait. When and how do splits occur? What determines the price where a stock will split?

gkryhewy

lil smoke said:
Yes! This is amazing! I'm going to make $200! :lol
I never expected it to succeed $70 and keep on chugging along! haha, anyone want to predict $80 now?

edit ^^ oh ok $120 by next holiday? :lol wait. When and how do splits occur? What determines the price where a stock will split?

Nintendo has historically expressed a lack of interest in splitting. I expect at least $80 by Xmas, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something of a drop following earnings release at the end of this month, unless they absolutely kill estimates.

Really wish I'd bought more when it fell back to the low 50s in the mid-August swoon. Still, my average purchase price is 60.40, so I'm doing okay.

lil smoke

Banned
I'm actually wondering if the price is still good enough to dip back in at $73?
Ask is $73.95 right now.

Does anyone have a history on the volume from the beginning of the year? Where could I find this?

koam

Cheesemeister said:
I knew when I bought that it was going to reach 80. 100, anyone?

Once $80 is reached, that's the magic number. Stocks tend to jump from $80 to $100 real fast at that point.

Does anyone have a history on the volume from the beginning of the year? Where could I find this?

Try Yahoo Finance. Check out ticket NTDOY.PK and click on Historic prices. Should tell you volume, i'm not 100% sure tho.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
koam said:
You didn't answer which CAE? CAE on toronto or CAE as in Cascade?
I got screwed with my chinese stock, it tumbled at the end of the day, i hope it recoups tomorrow. It's doing well after-hours.

CAE Inc, not cascade. They are traded as CGT on the NYSE and CAE on the TSX.

koam

I bought 100 of SNDK at exactly $50. $5000 and no commission. I think that's a steal. I hope I can sell it at $55 by next week.

My current holdings are:

Code:
Symbol  FSI   Qty   $/Shr  Last    T Chg   % Chg  Mkt Value   
NTDOY US V    50    59.33  70.28   - 10.95  18.40  3,514.00    
RCH US A      5      21.19  19.64  + -1.55  -7.30  1,473.00    
SNDK US Q      100  50.00  50.13  + 0.13    0.20  5,013.00    
Market Value : $10,000.00 %Gain/Loss: 4.60

My market value is exactly at $10,000USD. Keep in mind that NTDOY is actually at almost $74 but this site is giving me yesterday's prices.

koam

$74.26. Wonder if it has anything to do with Nintendo doubling up production of the Wii :D

Too bad smash bros isn't making it out this year, we'll have to wait till aprils year end for those sales. I really really hope Wii fit comes out before the end of the fiscal year because that's when i plan on selling these suckers.

Wth is going on? In these past few minutes, my stocks too such a nasty beating. I lost like $100 in a just 5 mins. *checks for possible news*

gkryhewy

koam said:
Wth is going on? In these past few minutes, my stocks too such a nasty beating. I lost like $100 in a just 5 mins. *checks for possible news*

No idea - I've got the google finance page open in a tab, and right at around 2:00 all three indexes just dropped like a rock. Large money must have just sold a bunch of stuff. There doesn't seem to be any news.

As an aside, I bought a bunch of the Virgin Mobile IPO on a whim, and it's down slightly on my purchase price. My logic was largely that it was an IPO on a big market up day. Oh well - no more buying IPOs on a whim - the STV IPO spoiled me.

mrWalrus

Banned
The market is looking real weak all of a sudden guys.. I know I was doom and gloom before but I'm really starting to think we might be at the tipping point.

We've come too far, too fast. Take a look at CROX, GOOG, APPL, AMZN, RIMM. They are all breaking down big time and on HUGE volume. Might be a good time to protect yourself before we fall off a cliff.

This is like Aug 16th all over again, just in reverse. The futures have lost over half their gains in less than 20 minutes.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
General investment question here. How long do you suppose the whole Asian growing thing is going to last? I've had some mutual funds for a while and the growth on the Asian ones is pretty insane. (In 3 months Far East one has grown 11%, China 12% and India 17%. Japan is down, though). I'm pretty tempted to move money from my western funds to Asia. Delicious money.

mrWalrus

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Nothing else makes sense with the cliff on no news

that reversal on the 16th didn't make sense either 'til the following morning when it was revealed that the fed was reducing the discount window rate.

The Futures don't lose 180 points in 20 minutes on profit taking. Stocks like AAPL and RIMM don't 5+% in the same period..

ahh fuck it.. I just missed a wave typing this.. See you guys at the bottom.

gkryhewy

mrWalrus said:
that reversal on the 16th didn't make sense either 'til the following morning when it was revealed that the fed was reducing the discount window rate.

The Futures don't lose 180 points in 20 minutes on profit taking. Stocks like AAPL and RIMM don't 5+% in the same period..

ahh fuck it.. I just missed a wave typing this.. See you guys at the bottom.

Fair enough - I defer to your experience.

Top Bottom