• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop using mental illnesses as adjectives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Althane

You actually can get diabetes from an improper diet though. Some people don't realize there are thin people with it. Type 1 right? Type 2 is the worse one?

To be accurate, the improper diet is more likely to exacerbate the situation, not be the sole source of it.

And Type 1 and Type 2 aren't 'better' or 'worse' than the other. They both fucking suck to deal with.

mrkgoo

Pretty sure I have OCD, and while it pricks up my ears when I hear people use it flippantly (which doesn't mean it's an adjective, from the record), I don't usually let it bother me because i know it comes from ignorance.

I just feel happy that people aren't afflicted with it. Part of the territory is that people don't understand what it's like.

Sullichin

On a similar note, I know someone who suffers from seizures. People joke about seizures allll the fucking time. "That's seizure inducing!"
I don't get offended or anything but if you have suffered watching a loved one go through that you wouldn't make light of that shit.

I constantly have to move my hands during some activities because a controller will touch my left palm but not my right palm and they dont feel "even"

sometimes my wife will touch my back weird and I have to leave the room and "reset"

If I stub my toe on something, I will have to kick an object with my other foot until it also hurts at an even rate.

This has been diagnosed as OCD and also fucking ridiculous.

This, plus many other small triggers will cause me terrible anxiety if they are not handled correctly.

I dont care if someone is like "OMG all these pens are blue except this one ahh my OCD" unless they grab my left hand to tell me but not my right hand

On a similar note, I know someone who suffers from seizures. People joke about seizures allll the fucking time. "That's seizure inducing!"
I don't get offended or anything but if you have suffered watching a loved one go through that you wouldn't make light of that shit.

The only time i've ever heard it used like that is when a video or something has crazy fuckin lights, which I have seen trigger seizures in people.

Phobia just means fear and the various -phobias out there very greatly in strength.

There's a phobia for holes, it's not that deep.

Using a complex mental illness as shorthand for one's behavior based a trait that it may or may not have in common isn't really the same thing

I'm pretty sure at one point all usage of "phobia" was the medical term - arachnophobia, agoraphobia, acrophobia. Then people started breaking down what it meant and started going "lol I have a phobia of salads" or whatever garbage, and before you knew it there were unofficial uses being thrown around everywhere like islamophobia and homophobia. The people with those labels aren't exhibiting normal phobic behavior. They might deserve some label, but to call it a phobia, to put it on the same level as legitimate disorders, that doesn't sit right.

To defend it as "phobia just means fear" feels equivalent to defending the usage of OCD by saying "what, I'm totally obsessive and my friends say I'm compulsive too."

Or for another comparison, it's similar to how there was once an emphasis on the life-destroying nature of alcoholism, and now people are like "hurr hurr I'm a choco-holic."

It's great to try not to offend people, but i think this has to be balanced with not normalizing disability.

I'm physically disabled and the way people with mental illnesses, especially autism, tie themselves into knots trying to pretend they're not broken enrages me to no end.

We're not OK!

The one that bothers me is "oh I'm so depressed". You're sad not depressed. There's a major difference between the two.

PS I have major depressive disorder.

I also hear kids say retarded a lot. "That's so retarded" etc.

y2dvd

I have family members that has retardation and it pissed me off so much when my former boss says "retarded" so loosely. Came close to telling her off.

As someone with a history of life threatening mental illnesses, I've learned to just remove myself from people if they talked like that. It hasn't happened to me frequently, but I noticed a lot of conversations that revolve around making people more sensitive to some topic or group of people is just a complete waste of my time. I ain't got control over people's thoughts or actions and I'm not gonna pretend that I do. I'm just gonna live a peaceful happy life and keep it moving. All of that conversation shit doesn't change anything so why bother.
I completely get what you're saying. When I couldn't get insurance because of my pre-existing bipolar disorder, I had to go to the state and sign a piece of paper declaring myself severely mentally ill to get my expensive medications. At that point, I knew that I am what I am and that I had to do what was best for me and avoiding negative, ignorant people was a huge part of that experience.

In my professional life,I teach in a high school and I do initiate conversations to educate young adults on the power of words. For the most part, it is very effective because they use many of the words listed here without thinking.

BruinsMtB

Banned
The one that bothers me is "oh I'm so depressed". You're sad not depressed. There's a major difference between the two.

"I'm depressed" is a lot different from "I have depression"

You can become depressed from life events. MDD requires prolonged occurrence with several others factors.

Yeah, I've cut out using any mental illnesses or disorders - as well as "retarded" - as insults after my youngest brother was diagnosed with epilepsy and as on the autistic spectrum. Even if he didn't mind all that much, I'd just feel like an asshole.

I won't tell any random person to stop saying it if I hear them saying it, but if someone I talk to regularly says it, I do ask them if they don't mind stopping.

Glix

I'm a legit insaniac and I'm cool with it.

Normies, don't change for me.

No one replied to your first shitpost so you gotta take another crack at it eh?

Keep trying and hopefully someone besides this easily baited idiot will give you the attention that you so desperately crave.

Im rooting for ya pal!

No one replied to your first shitpost so you gotta take another crack at it eh?

Keep trying and hopefully someone besides this easily baited idiot will give you the attention that you so desperately crave.

Im rooting for ya pal!

I will not be triggered by your outburst, good sir!

EDIT: For real, though, I'm not sure what you are crying about. Am I not allowed to speak from my experience? That's nuts.

Moonkid

I remember that thread about the OCD tshirts being sold and taken down or something. I didn't think much of it beforehand having not known anything about the condition but after that thread I realised it's not something to make light of.

I remember using the word "retarded" in middle school a lot. Y'know what happened? I grew the fuck up and realized that's a terrible word to use as an insult. It's dehumanizing real people who've done nothing wrong and shouldn't be talked down upon, even if you're doing so passively. It's beyond fucked and I'm ashamed I used the word so much when I was a kid.

Sometimes you see some people use it here on Gaf.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I honestly don't mind it at all but I get how some people would. I'll be honest, I kind of like the OCD comparisons if only because it takes some of the assumptions away.

Eg: I don't care a bit about germs or washing my hands. So many people think this is what OCD is. It's not.

My conversations always had to start with "no no I don't wash my hands that way". Now it's more "yeah real OCD the medication and therapy kind"

Less assumptions about my hands the better. I dislike my hands, they bleed too much.

My situation is specific though

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
To see what OCD is really like the Scrubs episode with Michael J. Fox is pretty good. That part at the end literally showed what it is like living with OCD.

I find it weird when shows either exploit mental illness or don't even name it. Big Bang Theory with Sheldon Cooper would be a good example.

I like the show Monk but it trivialized OCD at the same time, and I don't think they even ever called it OCD.

Mistake

To be accurate, the improper diet is more likely to exacerbate the situation, not be the sole source of it.

And Type 1 and Type 2 aren't 'better' or 'worse' than the other. They both fucking suck to deal with.
ah, got it. One of my best friends is diabetic, I just usually confuse the types.

It's a bit sad that it's just a joke to some people though, and they often think it's the person with diabtes' own fault for having it. They're probably just ignorant, but that says something about how little people know about diabetes which is a pretty serious thing!
On that point though, there was a guy I knew who was overweight and prided himself on it, only years later to be diagnosed a diabetic. It was hard to be sympathetic. But you're right on how people don't realize about how serious it can be

Glix

I will not be triggered by your outburst, good sir!

EDIT: For real, though, I'm not sure what you are crying about. Am I not allowed to speak from my experience? That's nuts.

You are free to do whatever you wish.

Just as i am free to call you out for "u mad" and then claiming you are an insaneiac.

You are free to do whatever you wish.

Just as i am free to call you out for "u mad" and then claiming you are an insaneiac.

Oh, you think I'm joking.

lol.

Yeah, just because I don't sit around and cry and tell people what words they can use doesn't mean I don't have my own struggles. Mental illness doesn't mean you have to be a bitch.

Huff

Banned
That's why awareness of the actual illness needs to be spread. It takes a minute to read a section of the DSM-V and see what the people with these mental conditions have to go through.

A minute? Someone hasn't read DMS before

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's great to try not to offend people, but i think this has to be balanced with not normalizing disability.

I'm physically disabled and the way people with mental illnesses, especially autism, tie themselves into knots trying to pretend they're not broken enrages me to no end.

We're not OK!

You do you man but I don't think of myself as broken and would take that as a pretty bad insult if anyone were to seriously say something like that to me. Not trying to sugarcoat my life or issues either but they made who I am today for better or for worse and I'm dealing but broken I am not.

I find that people that generalize mental illness do it because they either do not understand it fully or are trying to make light of something that scares them.

As a society we are still in the beginning steps of tracking mental illness and defining it in a way that can be processed by the medical industry/Dr's on how to correctly asses and address these illnesses.

People love to make everything black and white 1's and 0's as it is easier to place ideas and things into pre sorted spaces then actually look into the abyss and realize we do not understand or can even remotely comprehend the situation. So society generalizes and makes light of it.

Feep

Banned

Ehhh, I don't know about this one. The word depressed has the literal definition of "sad" or "generally unhappy". It's not a reference to a medical condition, at all.

Yours (or in general, "clinical depression") is. But I'm sorry you feel this way, and you can still ask your friends to not bring it up.

Glix

Oh, you think I'm joking.

lol.

Yeah, just because I don't sit around and cry and tell people what words they can use doesn't mean I don't have my own struggles. Mental illness doesn't mean you have to be a bitch.

Im sure you have plenty of struggles. Thats pretty obvious.

I mean a well adjusted person wouldnt have called OP a bitch at this point in the convo.

Which affliction is more difficult for you to deal with, the umad? Or insania? Both being so rare that they arent actually considered mental illness it must be very difficult for you to get treatment.

My bitch heart bleeds for you.

Althane

ah, got it. One of my best friends is diabetic, I just usually confuse the types.

Yeah, sorry. Just been reminded that my quarterly endo appointment is coming up next week. Gets me moody. :)

Type 1 is primarily defined by reduced insulin generation (for example, in my case it was an auto-immune response that killed off the part of my pancreas that produces insulin). Usually this is dealt with by insulin injections.

Type 2 is primarily defined by resistance to insulin (similar to other drug/hormone resistances). It's usually got a genetic factor, though like I said, diet exacerbates it. This is usually dealt with through diet and exercise modifications, along with insulin-sensitivity raising drugs (like metaformin). Insulin injections can be added as well.

That's a rough summary of the two forms of diabetes mellitus. There's also gestational diabetes, which is (I believe) a form of type 2 that occurs during pregnancy. "LADA" is Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults, which is what I was diagnosed with initially (since I was >18 when I was diagnosed), and is really just a way of saying "Damn, you got type 1 later in life than we'd expect".

There's also diabetes insipidus, which is related to the kidneys and is totally unrelated to the traditional 'diabetes'.

But that's enough about metabolic diseases in a thread about mental diseases. :)

DOWN

Banned
I never use OCD because I thought it sounded disrespectful as fuck to people who have it, and I have never been diagnosed with it.

I've had people tell me they think I'm OCD and I think they're incorrect and have no clue how severe that can be.

pablito

I don't really like it, but it won't stop.

Like there's just something about an open door. I have to close it. I hate that shit. But I just say I'm weird af about doors.

BruinsMtB

Banned
It's something I've bee working to get better at. I am a little too flippant in my use of psycho/sociopath.

Sociopath isn't really misused anymore. It was adopted by media and has a modern use that is too broad for it to be meaningful in clinical use so the current DSM doesn't even use it. No professionals use the term anymore except when use requires you to make your assessment easy to digest. So feel free

I reserve my right to be insensitive, so I can't agree with any of this. I think that makes me a psychopathic asshole. Well, at least that's what's on my business cards.

Im sure you have plenty of struggles. Thats pretty obvious.

I mean a well adjusted person wouldnt have called OP a bitch at this point in the convo.

Which affliction is more difficult for you to deal with, the umad? Or insania? Both being so rare that they arent actually considered mental illness it must be very difficult for you to get treatment.

My bitch heart bleeds for you.

Whoa. I think your anger is causing you to imagine things. Let me try to help.

I haven't called the OP a bitch. I was referring only to me not being one. I am an outgoing and aggressive person. Some on GAF may have noticed this. You seemed incredulous at the notion that I have my own illness to deal with, but I assure you that it is not only the province of the meek or the lonely.

It's ok that you didn't like the "u mad" joke. Everyone's a critic. Your disappointment means nothing. I'm sure you've had a chuckle at some of my other material in the past.

I am under no obligation to share with you the specific details of my condition(s), that's why I jokingly use the term "insaniac." I think it's funny. There is nothing here for you to be offended by, but you can eat a big bag of poo if you think I'll defer to your standard of acceptable discourse on mental illness.

Kind of preaching to the choir here? Why not have this discussion with actual people you encounter that do it?

What? The problem exists here on GAF too. I'm labeled one of those SJWs and even I'm guilty of using certain illnesses incorrectly when describing someone. It's good for OP to call us out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom