• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stories differ after Confederate flag wavers crash boy's birthday party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They “drive around and sell flags,” he said, with all of the proceeds going to veterans or toward purchasing new American flags for those in need.

Because if there's one thing America is short of and that its people desperately need, it's more flags. Truly doing god's work.

SegaShack

Holy shit this is one of the worst things I've read about racism recently. What the fuck is wrong with people. This is like some pre Civil Rights Movement type stuff going on.

akira28

Holy shit this is one of the worst things I've read about racism recently. What the fuck is wrong with people. This is like some pre Civil Rights Movement type stuff going on.

Well, not everyone went along with the Civil Rights Movement. In fact some people were downright against it...
They never actually went anywhere, they just lost a few elections.

PopeReal

They are encouraged by all the idiots posting on social media, right wing politicians included. They feel that their numbers are growing and their views more socially acceptable.

Shits going to get worse before it gets better.

Banzai

Fucked up.
But maybe some confederate flag supporters will be a little less willfully ignorant if more of these stories bubble up? Not that I want them to happen.

akira28

Fucked up.
But maybe some confederate flag supporters will be a little less willfully ignorant if more of these stories bubble up? Not that I want them to happen.

you mean emboldened to take action and go out protesting for their flag? yes. that's exactly what will happen.

Rembrandt

Banned
Fucked up.

the same supporters that ignored the KKK protests with this flag for years and the same supporters that say the flag stands for state rights*?

*not slavery. state rights.

I wonder how much money there is in selling Confederate flags door-to-door. These savvy businessmen just got their business promoted on the news, for free. And they came across (to their clientele) as being wrongfully persecuted, to boot. They're likely to clean up.

Alchemy

Flying the Confederate flag itself is an antagonistic act. Don't want to start anything? Don't fly the flag of a bunch of racist loser traitors.

Kenai

I've read Harry Potter fanfiction more believable than that Confederate flag flying truck driving twat's story.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've read Harry Potter fanfiction more believable than that Confederate flag flying truck driving twat's story.

Did I read it right - that they drive around selling flags, to raise money to buy flags for people who can't afford flags?

Laieon

I find it a little odd that everyone is magically assuming the party goers are in the right, when the video doesn't show anything other then the confederate guys driving away. The video doesn't show enough in my opinion to really support either side. At this point, it's really just a bunch of "He said, she said" (and even then, we don't really have enough information their either).

I guess it's not too surprising that a forum that's incredibly left leaning is going to instantly support the minority group though.

Where's the weird neighbor who constantly sticks his business in stuff that doesn't concern him and seems to know everything about every little thing going on in the neighborhood when you need him? Stuff like this is where unbiased 3rd parties come in handy.

SmokyDave

They “drive around and sell flags,” he said, with all of the proceeds going to veterans or toward purchasing new American flags for those in need.
This has been cracking me up for at least half an hour straight. I still can't stop blurting out chuckles every now and then. Fuck me.

Rembrandt

Banned
I find it a little odd that everyone is magically assuming the party goers are in the right, when the video doesn't show anything other then the confederate guys driving away. The video doesn't show enough in my opinion to really support either side. At this point, it's really just a bunch of "He said, she said".

i'm admittedly bias because i believe a person with a confederate flag is a racist asshole until proven otherwise. especially in the year of our lord 2015

Shit's incredible yo
laugh.gif

What the fuck seriously yo

Laieon

i'm admittedly bias because i believe a person with a confederate flag is a racist asshole until proven otherwise. especially in the year of our lord 2015

Personally, I feel like that's a pretty harmful way of thinking. I also think the confederate flag is dumb and there isn't really any reason to be flying it in 2015, but it's also not illegal.

I think assuming that someone who does X is instantly Y doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I try to live my life by judging everyone individually instead of as a collective group though, which I understand is a bit difficult to do.

Rembrandt

Banned
Personally, I feel like that's a pretty harmful way of thinking. I also think the confederate flag is dumb and there isn't really any reason to be flying it in 2015, but it's also not illegal.

I think assuming that someone who does X is instantly Y doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I try to live my life by judging everyone individually instead of as a collective group though, which I understand is a bit difficult to do.

neither is owning a nazi flag, but i wouldn't be in the wrong to assume that people that flaunt theirs are terrible people.

They admitted to using racial slurs so yes I believe we can say that they are racist pieces of shit.

I'm from the south so I know how these type of assholes work. They scream HERITAGE!!!! While out in public but since I'm also white they felt comfortable using racial slurs once they feel they're safe. They know it's racist but they don't care cause they're proud to be racist. Just not in public. Well not all the time. As with this case there's a group of them so they felt safe.

lol wtf? they used racial slurs.

Apparently you try to live your life without reading the stories that accompany the topics, since they even admitted to using racial slurs.

Sounds like you're a suspected white supremacist.

Ryuelli came in this thread trying to be preachy, flaunting a "I try not to judge others like the collective does" enlightened mindset, and calling GAF a bunch of leftist who too often jump to the side of minorities...

...and ended up not even reading the damn story where the guy admits to using a racial slur. I guess it's really easy to not judge when you put your fingers in your ears and cherrypick.

Ponn

Banned

Ya huh, you're doing a bang up job so far. Are you selling flags?

m3k

Lol the story sounds like both were antagonistic... But really if you're gonna fly that flag I feel like you're looking for shit

Chuckie

Personally, I feel like that's a pretty harmful way of thinking.

You know what seems an even more harmful way of thinking?

“One had a gun, saying he was gonna kill the [racial slur],” Alford told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Then one of them said gimme the gun, I’ll shoot them [racial slur].”

Lol the story sounds like both were antagonistic... But really if you're gonna fly that flag I feel like you're looking for shit

You what? There was a child's birthday party and a group of people with confederate flags went to it "to sell flags" and called them racial slurs and threatened to kill them. The other group defended themselves and wanted them to leave.

Defence =/= antagonism.

At what point does this become terroristic?

When these guys get tan? But still, we need to learn more about this situation. Might have been just some lonewolfs that are not part of anything bigger and they went solo this day. Also mental health checks should be made. :D

Laieon

You know what seems an even more harmful way of thinking?

And that wasn't captured on video, which means, like I said - it's merely "he said/she said". In this case, it seems like both sides are trying their best to make the other side seem bad.

Ya huh, you're doing a bang up job so far. Are you selling flags?

I don't know what you're implying, but I also said I think confederate flags are dumb. Literacy sure is fun, isn't it?

And that wasn't captured on video, which means, like I said - it's merely "he said/she said". In this case, it seems like both sides are trying their best to make the other side seem bad.

One side literally admitted to using racial slurs.

Not saying it's definitive, but I think it's fair to call them out on that, at the very least.

Aylinato

I don't know what you're implying, but I also said I think confederate flags are dumb. Literacy sure is fun, isn't it?

Do you feel that people at a child's birthday party guests should be intimated by racists in trucks driving around and going out of their way to harass the black people?

And if you try to wiggle out of that question, I'll remind you, the trucks can drive away, the birthday party guests are stationary.

Man, this is depressing and infuriating. It's a kid's birthday party for goodness sake, but these guys were clearly looking to make trouble.

Sera O

Banned
Did I read it right - that they drive around selling flags, to raise money to buy flags for people who can't afford flags?

I am laughing so hard at this right now.

Imagine the crushing weight of constant poverty. Now imagine how much more awesome things would be for the sad, downtrodden poors if they only had a flag. But let's not get ahead of ourselves! First we need to sell these flags we already got. And then we can buy flags to give away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom