• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange and weird buttons on controllers

squadr0n

The VMUs for the Dreamcast were so awesome but never got used in any meaningful way which is such a shame.

Getting rid of the start button on controllers is by far the biggest crime of this gen so far.

Just the style of the day, with variations between companies, of course.

I came across a review that said you push a button to switch which analog is active, I assume this is because a few rare games apparently had you hold the left and center grips on a standard controller instead of right and center (almost all games) or right and left (wrestling games and maybe a few others).

Ah interesting. I went from a coleco vision which was a handed down to us to a nes a few years later

OranSky

Banned
My vote goes to the share button and touch pad on the DS4. When I first got my PS4 I kept pressing the share button thinking it was a select button and pausing my game bringing up the share options. And honestly I feel like if Sony didn't make the touch pad a pressable button they would be getting a lot more crap for there choices on the controllers design. Even if the touch pad gets forgotten by developers at least it serves as the "select" button like the...what ever the hell that button on the Xbox one controller is called to keep parady with multiplatform releases.

Am_I_Evil

LfeEI.jpg

The doug button

What does it doooooooo

why is this making me laugh so much? lol

Justinh

qrDa1Ua.png

We'll find out what the doug button does next Wednesday

EDIT: FUCK WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT DOES MY CANCELLATION BETTER GO THROUGH

DONT WANT TO BE STUCK WITH SOME STICKY FADED PIECE OF SHIT FROM 1999
Lol, you play with fire...you get DOUG'd
Good Luck on getting it cancelled or getting an option to return

I own one of these and I still can't figure out how you're supposed to use it.

40510.jpg

you're obviously supposed to accidentally hit your friends with it and knock over lamps and such...
That thing looks kinda cool actually. I like when there are cool controllers like that...until I have a closet full of usb drumsets and plastic guitars, that is.

share button on the dual shock 4.
They took out the select button we all know and love and replaced it with a button that no one ever uses.

Melchiah

They took out the select button we all know and love and replaced it with a button that no one ever uses.

Looking at the screenshot threads, my FB feed, and all the YouTube gameplay videos, there seems to be a lot of people that never use it.

AerialAir

Banned
Probably not a popular opinion, but I hate the Xbox controller. Not because of the button placement or other ergonomics, but because of the button names. LT, RT, LB, RB just never stuck with me. I had an Xbox 360 for 7 years, and today is the day I still have to look at the controller every time I'm asked to used one of those buttons, it's really annoying.
Got a PS4 a few weeks ago, never had this problem with R/L 1/2, already perfectly mapped in my brain. I dont know why this doesnt happen with the XB controller, one could say its because English isnt my mother tongue, but hell I'm C2 fluent level certified.

p0rl

The Steam controller is a strange beast of which I'm still skeptical. Two analog sticks seems unnecessary, given that they are usually rate of change controllers, so why not replace one with an absolute change input? You cover all your input bases then. The d-pad has lived a long life for good reason and I'm not sure why they felt the need to replace it as well. The situations they contrived in order to justify another touch pad didn't convince me that it was worth losing the d-pad for.

The earlier versions were even more bizarre. Props to them for trying something new I suppose.

I came up with one possible way to improve it though:
g1wTo2E.png

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn actually used the analog triggers of the classic controller.

Haven't played the game yet, but wonder what use could tactical RPG have of analog triggers?

Still, thanks for the info.

The Steam controller is a strange beast of which I'm still skeptical. Two analog sticks seems unnecessary, given that they are usually rate of change controllers, so why not replace one with an absolute change input? You cover all your input bases then. The d-pad has lived a long life for good reason and I'm not sure why they felt the need to replace it as well. The situations they contrived in order to justify another touch pad didn't convince me that it was worth losing the d-pad for.

The earlier versions were even more bizarre. Props to them for trying something new I suppose.

I came up with one possible way to improve it though:
g1wTo2E.png

I'm proud to be an OP for this thread.

Fredrik

Itobandito-SoldSeparatelyJogConRetrowareTV531.png

No "love" for this bucket on nonsense yet?
Oh I have one of those, I think it came with Ridge Racer Type 4. A force feedback wheel right on the frickin controller lol :D It was actually quite fantastic back in the days, weird to hold but the ffb was good and it felt a bit like driving an rc car. Too weird to use in any other type of game though.

Tripolygon

Banned
If you said this the day the PS4 was introduced and the DS4 was announced you might have been right and your opinion would have been popular since that was the reception at that time. But you are totally wrong, the Share button is one of the most used buttons on the DS4. Just search for #PS4Share on Google , Twitter or Youtube, and most PS4 gameplay videos on Youtube are from the builtin Sharefactory video editor on PS4.

Fredrik

If you said this the day the PS4 was introduced and the DS4 was announced you might have been right and your opinion would have been popular since that was the reception at that time. But you are totally wrong, the Share button is one of the most used buttons on the DS4. Just search for #Share on Google , Twitter or Youtube.
Spammed by some, never used by others I assume. I only use it when I press it by mistake thinking it is the select button. The preview video of what has been recorded is always wrong too which makes me wish you could map it for something useful instead, like select. :p

wrowa

Haven't played the game yet, but wonder what use could tactical RPG have of analog triggers?

Still, thanks for the info

It was merely a small detail that most people probably never even realized. There were some menus that had a fade-out effect that was dependent on how far you pressed the analog trigger. It was very easily missable and had no practical use. Probably just a remnant of Radiant Dawn's GameCube roots.

It was merely a small detail that most people probably never even realized. There were some menus that had a fade-out effect that was dependent on how far you pressed the analog trigger. It was very easily missable and had no practical use. Probably just a remnant of Radiant Dawn's GameCube roots.

Huh... Sure it was an extremely subtle but nice touch. Thanks!

MAtgS

Not a button or even the a controller but this is just as baffling:

smzPEqX.jpg

Why exactly does the PC receiver for 360 controllers even have that ridiculously long cord? How far away did Microsoft expect players to be from the PC when playing PC games? My own receiver is basically trash now after getting caught under the chair's legs again.

Meanwhile the receiver they have for XB1 controllers...
lfW13OE.jpg

Holy shit that's way better! Why in the holy hell didn't they do that the 1st time around?!

Rich!

smzPEqX.jpg

Why exactly does the PC receiver for 360 controllers even have that ridiculously long cord? How far away did Microsoft expect players to be from the PC when playing PC games? My own receiver is basically trash now after getting caught under the chair's legs again.

Living room gaming.

Soodanim

Probably not a popular opinion, but I hate the Xbox controller. Not because of the button placement or other ergonomics, but because of the button names. LT, RT, LB, RB just never stuck with me. I had an Xbox 360 for 7 years, and today is the day I still have to look at the controller every time I'm asked to used one of those buttons, it's really annoying.
Got a PS4 a few weeks ago, never had this problem with R/L 1/2, already perfectly mapped in my brain. I dont know why this doesnt happen with the XB controller, one could say its because English isnt my mother tongue, but hell I'm C2 fluent level certified.
English is my one and only language and I still get mixed up sometimes. They're just bad. Nintendo's ZL and ZR are better, but Sony's method is still perfect.

Dicer

Banned

smzPEqX.jpg

Meanwhile the receiver they have for XB1 controllers...
lfW13OE.jpg

Holy shit that's way better! Why in the holy hell didn't they do that the 1st time around?!

I just left the twisty tie on...

Top Bottom