• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things [SPOILER THREAD] We're All Fleas Now

Finally got around to watching, ended up binging half the show after work last night, and the other half after I got a few hours of sleep...

Loved it, loved every second of it. Didn't expect them to leave enough open for a sequel season, but I think they could swing it. Very excited to see what lies in store (unless El's dead, then fuck everything)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just finished this. I'm very conflicted about how I felt about it. Things started extremely strong, especially in the first episode. But even as short as this series is, I felt like it dragged a lot in the middle. And I was completely disinterested during the finale. I feel bad for Matthew Modine because they gave him absolutely nothing to work with.

All the kids were charming. Reminded me a lot of Super 8 in that regard.

I can see why this is doing so well for Netflix. It's clever in all the little check boxes it hits for demographics. Very broad appeal.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this was AMAZING. Watched the last three episodes yesterday, the bittersweet finale was a pretty brutal gut punch. I really, really enjoyed this for a lot of reasons. It looks great, having it set in the eighties was genius. Great atmosphere, lot of nice camera shots. And the music, sheesh. So nice.

It has a really great balance of sci-fi thriller and eighties kids adventure movies. The entire cast was good, I usually can't stand kids but the kids were excellent. The kid playing Eleven was actually quite incredible at times. And all the stuff with the other dimension, the parallels with Dungeons & Dragons, references to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, everything is just top notch.

There are two things that made me scratch my head:

1. The teacher explaining in exact detail how to build a sensory deprevation tank when a 9-year-old kid calls at 10 pm on a Saturday. Come on now.
2. After the finale everyone just sort of accepts that there is at least one parallel dimension now and there is still a gaping portal to another dimension at Hawkins lab? I mean the school was a warzone, you can't sweep this under the rug considering how many people were involved.

Also - Hopper puts a basket of food and eggos in a chest in the woods. I assume it's for Eleven? After the hospital scene a car with two government agents picked up Hopper, I thought they were going to pull a 24 and ship him off to some hellhole to keep him silent. What happened?

A-V-B

Also - Hopper puts a basket of food and eggos in a chest in the woods. I assume it's for Eleven? After the hospital scene a car with two government agents picked up Hopper, I thought they were going to pull a 24 and ship him off to some hellhole to keep him silent. What happened?

Due to being the only experienced man who has ever survived the Upside Down, I would imagine they offered him a job to stay in Hawkins and keep that shit on lock.

Moonkid

Just finished it. Pretty good stuff, but I don't get the hype for the soundtrack and outside of the mise-en-scene, music, and narrative, the show didn't 'feel' very 80s. I expected it to show up in the cinematography and editing more, but that's not entirely a bad thing, just went against my expectations since that's what I heard so much about. Also, villain was meh with a pretty flaccid ending to boot.

t-storm

Just finished it. Pretty good stuff, but I don't get the hype for the soundtrack and outside of the mise-en-scene, music, and narrative, the show didn't 'feel' very 80s. I expected it to show up in the cinematography and editing more, but that's not entirely a bad thing, just went against my expectations since that's what I heard so much about. Also, villain was meh with a pretty flaccid ending to boot.
Were you a kid in the 80s?

Moonkid

Were you a kid in the 80s?
No, but I don't see how that's relevant when I said the show felt like the 80s aesthetically rather than technically i.e. not through the cinematography and editing of the show. I guess I should have been more skeptical to the comparisons to Spielberg. Again, not that their filmmaking approach was bad by any means. It was perfectly competent with some neat shots here and there.

MoeDabs

No, but I don't see how that's relevant when I said the show felt like the 80s aesthetically rather than technically i.e. not through the cinematography and editing of the show. I guess I should have been more skeptical to the comparisons to Spielberg. Again, not that their filmmaking approach was bad by any means. It was perfectly competent with some neat shots here and there.

Why did you expect that though?

Matty77

It's completely revalent because everyone loving the 80's feel has nothing to do with film technique or how they made films and everything to do with them nailing the exact feeling and atmosphere of being that age in that era. It's pure nostalgia but not the manufactured "oh references to a bunch of media" and more I remember running the town with parents not knowing where I was, D&D in the basement, they nailed the experience not filming techniques.

Moonkid

Why did you expect that though?
Personally, when something is described using a reference to a director, a well-established one at that, I expect similarities in stuff like cinematography foremost. To be fair though, Spielberg is most iconic for the icon and symbols of his films that are part of pop-culture.

Moonkid

It's completely revalent because everyone loving the 80's feel has nothing to do with film technique or how they made films and everything to do with them nailing the exact feeling and atmosphere of being that age in that era. It's pure nostalgia but not the manufactured "oh references to a bunch of media" and more I remember running the town with parents not knowing where I was, D&D in the basement, they nailed the experience not filming techniques.
I think I understated it, but the show captured the 80s vibe well - I just wanted to express how I expected it in different aspects of the show also considering it was so hyped up. I also explain it a bit more in the post above, and I do concede for someone like Spielberg it wouldn't be stuff like that which compels people to name-drop him :).

I usually refrain from "binge-watching," but the pacing was so good for this show that I couldn't help but do just that.

Didn't really want a second season, but I'm fine with it as long as the quality remains high.

cbox

Loving the silent hill vibes, but I wish they didn't show the monster in full light, it kills it for me.

Im bad at this type of stuff but what if El faked her own death and is hiding in the upside down since the government is likely flipping their shit about what happened at hawkins? And Hopp somehow knows and is helping her out with food and shit?

Also I liked steve. Glad they subverted that trope. You can be a jock/cool kid and still a good person. Just gotta call out the assholes sometimes

liquidtmd

Banned
Just finished...very much enjoyed it.

It was a collage of ideas of imagery and thoughts cribbed from elsewhere (Silent Hill, Under The Skin, Akira and E.T influences - design choices were strong for me) but it had enough charm of its own to get by. Great frickin cast and stellar visual and audio use, soundtrack included

Really not sure I like the idea of multiple seasons and would have relished a one off of this caliber but I'm open to it.

TheContact

Really? Praising the bad guy? I thought he was as generic and boring as it gets, his role in the final confrontation and his death are absolutely pathetic. One of the worst things of the show by far. "One of the best TV villains ever" ayy. He barely does anything in 8 goddamn hours, and his traits are cardboard thin. Zero character development as well, which fits to his "meh whatever kill him off somehow already" ending I guess.

The white haired woman was a much better antagonist -it wasn't hard-, except for when she awaited her death staring at the girl they've been studying and trying to capture doing her life-threatening spell casting for 10 seconds.

The monster was terrible all around. He captures people with his fucking arms and mouth but somehow they escape when they get to the upside down world? Fucking really? Except for Barbara, who died for drama reasons. Why did he stop eating that deer anyways? To bring the jumpscare later? Ugh.

He isn't dead, according to the writers

Did you watch 80s Carpenter or based-on-King movies? This had their cinematography and editing.

Likewise, the soundtrack is a great homage to Carpenter soundtracks (the first several of which he composed himself).

I think your 80s experience is missing some pieces.

Really? Praising the bad guy? I thought he was as generic and boring as it gets, his role in the final confrontation and his death are absolutely pathetic. One of the worst things of the show by far. "One of the best TV villains ever" ayy. He barely does anything in 8 goddamn hours, and his traits are cardboard thin. Zero character development as well, which fits to his "meh whatever kill him off somehow already" ending I guess.

The white haired woman was a much better antagonist -it wasn't hard-, except for when she awaited her death staring at the girl they've been studying and trying to capture doing her life-threatening spell casting for 10 seconds.

The monster was terrible all around. He captures people with his fucking arms and mouth but somehow they escape when they get to the upside down world? Fucking really? Except for Barbara, who died for drama reasons. Why did he stop eating that deer anyways? To bring the jumpscare later? Ugh.

Inclined to agree. The monster was so much worse than the rest of the series for basically every reason you listed.

cj_iwakura

Loved the show... but was shocked the sheriff didn't die. Figured he was a dead man after that cold open episode stinger.

Family made it to the end of Episode 5, I advised them to pick a time they could power through the last 3, doubt that'll happen, but they're still in it, which I'm happy about

EVERYONE was like "ohhh cmon, thers no way" when Nancy crawled into the tree. I love that Jonathan just walks right past it, can't wait for them to watch the rest

Sean C

I've been rewatching this show for the first time since its debut, through to episode 6 thus far. It has deepened my appreciation, as it holds up on second viewing.

The second time around, I've been enjoying Cara Buono's Karen Wheeler more -- she wants to be this open, emotionally supportive mother, but neither of her kids want to tell her anything.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've been rewatching this show for the first time since its debut, through to episode 6 thus far. It has deepened my appreciation, as it holds up on second viewing.

The second time around, I've been enjoying Cara Buono's Karen Wheeler more -- she wants to be this open, emotionally supportive mother, but neither of her kids want to tell her anything.

Her husband is the real winner.

Yeah I liked that. It stuck out to me the first time around.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This series. It's so good. So good.

I almost feel like rewatching it now. I can't wait for Season 2.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Her husband is the real winner.

WHAT'D I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just finished this yesterday after binge watching it. Really loved every second off it and loved eleven as a character. Amazing how it was a horror mystery story and there wasn't a single character who i hated or thought was dumb, nor did i ever go ' Why the fuck are you doing that'

Excited for season 2, but maybe i would have preferred a new group with a new monster.

Trouble

Banned
I just binged this today and wow I fucking loved it. The Spielberg/King mashup works really well and they nailed the vibe perfectly.

jedezel

Neo Member
I did not read everything on this thread so the question may have been answered already but what I wonder is how the "monster" was living before El makes contact.

OK, the monster can go back and forth between our world and his, it does not need the gate.
OK, the monster may have hunted animals to bring them back in his world to eat it without anyone noticed (maybe).

But it seems that it also needs human to... do something (he stores them like Aliens do). And that thing, he obviously did not do it before the opening of the gate (as the Sherif said, it is a reaaaaally quiet country with no mystery, so surely no massive disparition of people).
It leads me to think that the monster was not aware of our world before making contact with El. But in that case, how did it feed? (the Upside-Down seems really empty). How did it do this thing with human that seems important for it?

Top Bottom