• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details about Stranger Things 2 from Entertainment Weekly (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/09/stranger-things-2-exclusive-plot-revealed/

000249616.jpg

Stranger Things season 2 begins nearly a year after the first installment, on Halloween in Hawkins, Indiana. (The boys are going as the Ghostbusters, naturally.) Will has rejoined his pals after being rescued from Things' alternate dimension, the Upside Down. But all is not well with young Mr. Byers, as evidenced by the slug he coughed up in season 1's final moments. ”He seems to be seeing images from the Upside Down—the question is whether they're real or not," says co-creator Matt Duffer. ”So it seems like he's having some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder."

His ultra-fraught mother, Joyce (Winona Ryder), is attempting to make things stable for Will and his brother, Jonathan (Charlie Heaton), and she is dating an old high school classmate, Bob (The Goonies' Sean Astin). ”She's trying to mask a lot," explains Ryder. ”I think she's made this choice with Bob because she wants a good father figure in her sons' lives."

Meanwhile, Hopper (David Harbour) is attempting to keep all the events of last season, like the disappearance of Barb, a secret in order to protect Joyce and the kids. ”It kind of falls on Hopper to be the voice of authority to say, ‘This did happen and this didn't happen,'" says Harbour. ”He's struggling with the compromise that takes him to, having to lie and cover things up." Siblings Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Mike are also much changed and mourning the (seeming) deaths of friends Barb and Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). ”She and Mike are both the most screwed-up because they're the ones who both lost someone," says co-creator Ross Duffer. ”They're both grappling with that, and we see the effects."

Shaking up the dynamics in Hawkins is the arrival of another brother-sister duo, Billy (Dacre Montgomery) and Max (Sadie Sink). While Max becomes pals with the boys and attracts romantic interest from Lucas and Dustin (played by actors Caleb McLaughlin and Gaten Matarazzo), Billy doesn't exactly make friends. Teases Matt Duffer, ”Stephen King always has really great human villains. The evil in the real world is often as bad or worse than the supernatural evil, so we wanted to introduce a character like that."

But this being Stranger Things, there is still a major amount of otherworldly forces causing trouble. The rift to the Upside Down remains open, as does the lab, now run by the seemingly friendly Dr. Owens (Paul Reiser). The Duffers are coy about what types of monsters we'll see this season, but, according to Matt, the show will be exploring ”different kinds of horror." Plus, Dustin will find himself with an interesting polliwog-like pet. ”It's a little creature I get to bond with," says Matarazzo. ”It's obviously not from this planet or this dimension."

And then there's Eleven...

More at the link and they say more details in this week's Entertainment Weekly out this Friday.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's nice to finally see Will.

WTF Dustin, get rid of that thing. It's going to be either non-evil or good though right? The Gizmo or E.T. of Stranger Things.

-griffy-

Banned
I like how each of their jumpsuits is slightly different. They all found different stuff to cobble their costumes together.

Boem

Even though Stranger Things wasn't for me, here's a tidbit I really liked: The Duffer Bros were on Harmontown (Dan Harmon's (Community, Rick & Morty) podcast) a couple of weeks back, and they described what they wanted to get out of the second sequel. They described their least favorite kind of sequel to be ones like Home Alone 2: basically the same story with slightly different window dressing and some changed details. See also many more recent sequels like Jurassic World or something like Hangover 2. In their eyes a sequel would need to do something significantly different in tone and feeling, and that was what they were hoping to do with their second season.

That entire episode is worth listening for the fans probably. Stranger Things wasn't my thing, but I do like those guys and the success they unexpectedly got with this. Lovely story.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
looking at the ghostbuster nametags, and Mike and Lucas both have Venkman, Dustin has Stanz, and it looks like Will has Spengler. These all kind of fit, especially the dualing "leaders" of Mike and Lucas.

Also: They're rocking pillowcases for halloween candy. That's how we rolled in the 80's, up until they forced stupid plastic pumpkin bins on us.

mjc

Even though Stranger Things wasn't for me, here's a tidbit I really liked: The Duffer Bros were on Harmontown (Dan Harmon's (Community, Rick & Morty) podcast) a couple of weeks back, and they described what they wanted to get out of the second sequel. They described their least favorite kind of sequel to be ones like Home Alone 2: basically the same story with slightly different window dressing and some changed details. See also many more recent sequels like Jurassic World or something like Hangover 2. In their eyes a sequel would need to do something significantly different in tone and feeling, and that was what they were hoping to do with their second season.

That entire episode is worth listening for the fans probably. Stranger Things wasn't my thing, but I do like those guys and the success they unexpectedly got with this. Lovely story.

Do you remember which episode it was? I'm finding one from September but that's a long way back.

Solo

The kid who plays Will isn't hitting the growth spurt like the other kids.

This is going to be such an amazing season. The Duffers know what they are doing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not sure if this should be a spoiler or not since it was expected and there's no way you'll get to the halloween release without seeing this, but I'll spoiler the image just in case.

It's the EW Cover

LMAO at Eleven's hair.

CSX

Not sure if this should be a spoiler or not since it was expected and there's no way you'll get to the halloween release without seeing this, but I'll spoiler the image just in case.

It's the EW Cover

LMAO at Eleven's hair.
looks like she did a fusion with barb lol

Boem

Do you remember which episode it was? I'm finding one from September but that's a long way back.

Yeah that's the one, they only appeared in one episode I think. Episode 212 - The Medicine of Attention. I guess it was longer ago than I remembered.

Be warned: the episode also contains Andy Dick, and for people not familiar with Dan Harmon - he's a curious guy, and definitely not to everyone's tastes. I'm not sure how he was in this episode but he can be a bit much for some people. He may take some getting used to for people preferring their Hollywood people less drunk/honest.

For me personally it's not a show I can listen to every week, and I definitely prefer the episodes where it's just silly fun (they can be hilarious when they're in the right mood). I don't particularly care for drunk Dan having another existential crisis.

It's been too long since I listened to this one so I don't know where it falls on the scale.

Tovarisc

Nancy and Jonathan are somehow going to end up together after all, aren't they?

Most logical thing for Nancy to do at end of S01 was to friendzone both of guys, imo.

Jonathan while wanting to do right by his family had metric ton of social issues to deal with and grow out of, while Steve mostly was just fucking tool during S01 yet somehow "redeemed" by few words and actions at the end.

CrazyDude

The kid who plays Will isn't hitting the growth spurt like the other kids.

This is going to be such an amazing season. The Duffers know what they are doing.
He's like 2 years younger than the others. He is 12, while the others are 14 and 15.

Ultima_5

it's disappointing there continuing the kinda bland and boring story from the first season. would rather they anthologized it. even if t was the same characters/kids. sorta like xfiles.

it's disappointing there continuing the kinda bland and boring story from the first season. would rather they anthologized it. even if t was the same characters/kids. sorta like xfiles.

I thought the same immediately after finishing season one, that it worked better as a one-off but I like the idea of returning to the cast now. I definitely wouldn't call the story from s1 bland or boring though, I mean the show became a pop culture phenomenon over night, I don't think that could've happened if it was as bland and boring as you say.

Button

Banned
The first 4 episodes were great and had a great atmosphere, but then it quickly went to shit. I kept rolling my eyes at all the stupid stuff that happened.

hydruxo

The first 4 episodes were great and had a great atmosphere, but then it quickly went to shit. I kept rolling my eyes at all the stupid stuff that happened.

Nah it got better as it went on.

I don't understand why anybody would want the show to be an anthology. The Duffers never wanted it to be that way. The characters were amazing and there's still so much more potential with them.

Definitely looking forward to this

Loved S1, maybe the story in itself wasn't that extraordinary, but the characters just feel real and everything is executed extremely well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom