• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things | Season 4 | Part 1

SkylineRKR

I'm kind of conflicted on S4. I didn't like the first few episodes. I didn't enjoy the Hop storyline much either. I think there is too much being crammed in here and as a result a lot of the charm is gone. Sure the runtime is increased, but I liked the downtime stuff at home or school discussing board games, toys etc in the old seasons as well. S4 is constantly on the move.

The 7th episode was very good though. Vecna is pretty awesome.

I think its wise that they stop after S5. I feel those kids become worse characters over time. Its less and less convincing. They already do play younger characters because storywise it has been only 2 years. You can see they're quite older (materazzo was like 18 when they filmed).

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm kind of conflicted on S4. I didn't like the first few episodes. I didn't enjoy the Hop storyline much either. I think there is too much being crammed in here and as a result a lot of the charm is gone. Sure the runtime is increased, but I liked the downtime stuff at home or school discussing board games, toys etc in the old seasons as well. S4 is constantly on the move.

The 7th episode was very good though. Vecna is pretty awesome.

I think its wise that they stop after S5. I feel those kids become worse characters over time. Its less and less convincing. They already do play younger characters because storywise it has been only 2 years. You can see they're quite older (materazzo was like 18 when they filmed).
i agree with the hop shit. i kept tuning out when those scenes came on.

also i actually thought dustin was the youngest looking. he still looks like a kid to me while the rest have noticeable got older. probably just me :messenger_grinning_smiling: the guys who play will + lucas i'd say have grown up the most.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

i agree with the hop shit. i kept tuning out when those scenes came on.

also i actually thought dustin was the youngest looking. he still looks like a kid to me while the rest have noticeable got older. probably just me :messenger_grinning_smiling: the guys who play will + lucas i'd say have grown up the most.

I didn't even recognize Lucas, lol. I actually googled if it was the same guy. Max, who was already a bit older in S2 if i'm right, actually looks like the youngest kid now.

Kev Kev

So true! Murray was a bad ass in this season 😂 fr tho
4Ukf9v8.jpg

Last edited:
If you had to pick which main character from the teen group is most likely to die and which one is definitely gonna survive (by the end of series)…who would you choose?
I think Dustin is safest choice to live through it all, but worried Steve is gonna end up making the hero’s sacrifice late in season 5. If anyone should die I would hope it would be Mike but I doubt they’ll do that to Eleven.

bitbydeath

If you had to pick which main character from the teen group is most likely to die and which one is definitely gonna survive (by the end of series)…who would you choose?
I think Dustin is safest choice to live through it all, but worried Steve is gonna end up making the hero’s sacrifice late in season 5. If anyone should die I would hope it would be Mike but I doubt they’ll do that to Eleven.
Probably Will if we’re talking the main group, he seems to be the weakest and probably should already be dead from the events of the first two seasons. Jonathan would be an easy target of the old group since he barely gets any screen time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seems to me that the actors playing Jonathan and Nancy are already a foot and a half into the grave, the show runners need to write them off while they still have the choice. Show needs a multi year jump to get past this high school shit. I dont feel like any of the characters are really growing, becoming more competent, or anything, they are still very reactionary. It feels very cyclical and this isn't a good thing at season 4 IMHO.

Pagusas

Elden Member
i’m a little confused about how the upside down works…. so it mirrors their world… but that mirroring started season 1 when 11 ripped open that portal? so did that create the upside down or was it already there and then took on characteristics of our world? If so why? And I thought it was poisonous, so how is everyone breathing without issue while doing strenuous activities like biking miles? I guess I need to rewatch season 1 as i’m misremembering things.

scalman

for me its like weakest season so far... very slow starting .. just draging and draging on things that are not interesting... romance part was so weak ... who cares... and rescue mission .. russia part... its draging again and nothing much happening there .. maybe couple good episodes ... but others kinda meh... .they doing season 4 more like its new thing .. as if people didint saw previous ones... why ? we dont need you explain me all things about plot i allready know ...and i started like less those old characters that i loved before.. now they just .. what you doing ... ?

Hardensoul

i’m a little confused about how the upside down works…. so it mirrors their world… but that mirroring started season 1 when 11 ripped open that portal? so did that create the upside down or was it already there and then took on characteristics of our world? If so why? And I thought it was poisonous, so how is everyone breathing without issue while doing strenuous activities like biking miles? I guess I need to rewatch season 1 as i’m misremembering things.
Don’t think it was poisonous, Will did stay alive for a very long time. The crew did go into the upside down numerous times without hazmat suits.

Edit: I remember now, it was the plants that spews out toxins were bad!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

for me its like weakest season so far... very slow starting .. just draging and draging on things that are not interesting... romance part was so weak ... who cares... and rescue mission .. russia part... its draging again and nothing much happening there .. maybe couple good episodes ... but others kinda meh... .they doing season 4 more like its new thing .. as if people didint saw previous ones... why ? we dont need you explain me all things about plot i allready know ...and i started like less those old characters that i loved before.. now they just .. what you doing ... ?
I’m going to have to disagree, the editing has been great so far. The cast is so big but it never seem to stay on any group for too long.

I’m not quite sure how far you are in! But the older cast, aren’t really separated they are mixed and they have different objects!

Nancy crew is trying to find out who/what this new enemy is! Mike crew is trying to find/rescue Eleven. And the separate Russian rescue.

I’m not quite sure how you know the plot of this season, unless you found a spoiler site. If you are going by basic plot, sure! But this is not the same story/plot as other season.

Melon Husk

Seems to me that the actors playing Jonathan and Nancy are already a foot and a half into the grave, the show runners need to write them off while they still have the choice. Show needs a multi year jump to get past this high school shit. I dont feel like any of the characters are really growing, becoming more competent, or anything, they are still very reactionary. It feels very cyclical and this isn't a good thing at season 4 IMHO.
The cast is definitely too large. Writing an interesting narrative for everyone is easier with a smaller cast. Although they are handling it well with longer episodes, a couple of the younger kids and older kids should've been killed off by now. Mike and Will, Nancy and Jonathan for example.

I really enjoyed the first part of this Season. Very much liked the Nightmare on Elm Street vibes as well.

Vecna is a really cool villain and feels like a breath of fresh air for the series. The nightmare sequences were very fun, especially the Max episode which I thought was the best one overall. Sadie Stink was the stand-out for me out of the cast.

I enjoyed her acting and character growth.

sol_bad

I'm not sure why people think the cast is too big, there are only 3-4 new characters in season 4 compared to season 1 when you really think about it.

YCoCg

So far it's the best season outside of Season 1, the pacing and action is much better compared to S2/3, the only thing dragging was the Russian storyline which feels like a holdover from Season 3 when they already wrote that "twist" and had to commit to it. Seeing as others have brought up all the Nightmare on Elm Street references how has no one yet mentioned that Robert Englund himself was in an episode (as the old Victor Creel in the asylum)?

Hardensoul

So far it's the best season outside of Season 1, the pacing and action is much better compared to S2/3, the only thing dragging was the Russian storyline which feels like a holdover from Season 3 when they already wrote that "twist" and had to commit to it. Seeing as others have brought up all the Nightmare on Elm Street references how has no one yet mentioned that Robert Englund himself was in an episode (as the old Victor Creel in the asylum)?
We’ve mentioned Robert Englund, hiding in the spoiler tags!😀

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Expectations were very low after season 3, but this is probably the best since the first season. Natalie Dyer's obvious eating disorder is a bummer, though. Looks like it's taking a huge toll on her body now.

After being emasculated for the entirety of season 3, Steve goes full hero mode here. Fun character moments between him and Eddie. In general things are more balanced, with the annoying characters not dominating screen time.

El's story was handled well and tied the overarching narrative together. Russia b-plot could've been better, but the climax worked out decently.

Max x Kate Bush was a nice touch, too, and episode 4 was beautifully done.

Thumbs up.

Kev Kev

this is so fucking good and adding the song in was perfect! ive been thinking about that scene with max every since i first saw it. shit i am so hyped for this. still hate that they broke it up onto two parts tho.

i love how they all look geared up ready to go into the final dungeon like in one of their games. they all have different roles to play, the danger is real, the fate of the world seemingly in their hands, and eleven their mage will likely show up to bust some heads at the darkest moment. fuck it lets goooooooooo best season so far. these kids are like my nerd heros, watching them grow up and go on this adventures is like watching me discover fantasy and sci fi in books and video games as a kid.

im getting ahead of myself but i cant wait to see where they go with season 5 and how they end everything. the past 4 season has been some of the finest television of all time for me. not sure how they keep surpassing my expectations but here we are

as a side note july 1st has turned out to be the biggest day of my adult real life. my parents giot divorced after 40 years of marriage and im moving in wit my mom to a new house on the first so she wont be alone, and it also happens to be my 4 years sobers day which was my goal to begin with and i never thought id be able to do it, AND to top it all off stranger things season 4. i think thats partly why that scene with max hit so hard. i kind of feel like im trapped in my own dark dungeon right now. but seeing hope like a light at the end of a tunnel is keeping me going. love this show. i hope the last 2 episodes are as good as the first part (the last episode is supposed to be like 3 hours long!!).

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Just finished part 2. What can I say, this season really redeem itself from the low of season 3. S4 is almost as good as season 1.

The last 2 episodes hit you in the feels, almost got me teary eyed! 😭

Last 2 were really long episodes 1hr25m and 2hr30m. I was engrossed and they were intense didn’t feel long at all.

Season 5 will be long wait!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Final 2 episodes were great. The finale was fucking amazing, woah.

btw you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you're not watching on a good A/V set up. Incredible production.

Vecna is friggin awesome too.

RIP Eddie, would have REALLY stuck if Max stayed dead too, but I guess her mind/soul belongs to Vecna now... thats even worse

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yep. Really well done. Apart from the Russia stuff, it was top notch all round… especially for someone like me who grew up loving all the same stuff the writers did.

And loved the Talisman easter egg at the end. When The Duffers make that it’s going to make Stranger Things look like a kids tea party.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It was very good that they kept Vecna around as the villain for season 5. Replacing him with a new one yet again would be really stupid.

I thought Hopper's story line was really lame, and the story line with the HS bullies wanting revenge was really stupid. But other than that everything else was very good.

I feel this season Eleven finally came into her own as a great character. She had moments in seasons 1-3 but was kind of annoying IMO. Hopper still the GOAT and in season 5 hopefully has a much better role.

sol_bad

Final 2 episodes were great. The finale was fucking amazing, woah.

btw you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you're not watching on a good A/V set up. Incredible production.

Vecna is friggin awesome too.

RIP Eddie, would have REALLY stuck if Max stayed dead too, but I guess her mind/soul belongs to Vecna now... thats even worse

Yeah, I feel sorry for anyone using TV speakers, headphones or a sound bar. Surprisingly great sound for these season.

I'm sure the people using the above equipment are enjoying the show but it's so much better with proper sound.

bitbydeath

Just finished ep 9, the ending (post fight) dragged a bit too long, probably could have cut a good thirty mins from it.

Also,
They gotta stop killing off the interesting characters, first Billy and now Eddie. They could have killed anyone else.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can tell I’m old as I relate more to and root for Hopper more than any other character except Dustin and Eddy, maybe Steve as well because he turned into a top bloke.

I expected grander set pieces for the finale of season 4. Seeing as the episode just previous they had a big set piece.

But I gotta say I loved the finale. The whole everything is lost segment I really thought for a whole they were going to go into the bad place cliff hanger but they went Into the victory was good and SPOILERS————

that character going out like that. Shame they killed them off but they went out like a mother fucking champ. So it is what it is.
Character died like a fucking warrior.

Also the other one will be back. I’m betting they just lost.

But gotta say the more I watch this show the more I would love a stranger things game in an action packed Survival horror style (resident evil revelations crossed with dead space).

Also I think they are going to go with the long time coming story ark of will being gay, which is cool but robin came in and came out quickly so my question is why they dragging this out for will for so long ?
I am not going for oh Netflix is woke go broke angle here etc. Because the characters all work together they don’t feel like a forced group put together by some committee, they feel organic and reall, so much chemistry such great actors and actresses So why are they dragging out will’s ark for so long?

Also Mike’s mum… fucking hot. If I was mikes dad I would not be falling asleep in front of the TV all the time.

Animated GIF

Last edited:

Tieno

I am not going for oh Netflix is woke go broke angle here etc. Because the characters all work together they don’t feel like a forced group put together by some committee, they feel organic and reall, so much chemistry such great actors and actresses So why are they dragging out will’s ark for so long?
Maybe we're looking at it with contemporary eyes? 80's were a different time, where it was way way way harder to come out.

Top Bottom