• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things | Season 4 | Part 1

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every season they’re improving with effort to 11
200.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm only 2 episodes in. i hated Eleven in previous seasons but i feel so bad for her now :( i hope she gets her powers back and does more than smash a rollerskate into that girls face. fuck bullies.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I have enjoyed it but to me this definitely feels like the show creators were done but Netflix begged them to keep it going.

It felt like 3 episodes of content stretched into 7.

John Bilbo

Why’s that?
This feels like a much needed return to the tone of the first season, three episodes in and it may even be better.

I should watch the first season again to be sure, but it seems to me the scope and focus of the show has shifted so much it has been transformed into a new entity of a show.

At this moment I think the soviet subplot should have been cut in its entirety.

Also the new monster seems disconnected from the previous ones.

Also they shouldn't have used the D&D naming convension for the monster again. It was charming for the first time in the first season, but this far in the show it is just too convinient. Unless the D&D game actually is the reason for the monsters being summoned into their world. That would be such a cheesy move I might love it :D

bitbydeath

I should watch the first season again to be sure, but it seems to me the scope and focus of the show has shifted so much it has been transformed into a new entity of a show.

At this moment I think the soviet subplot should have been cut in its entirety.

Also the new monster seems disconnected from the previous ones.

Also they shouldn't have used the D&D naming convension for the monster again. It was charming for the first time in the first season, but this far in the show it is just too convinient. Unless the D&D game actually is the reason for the monsters being summoned into their world. That would be such a cheesy move I might love it :D
True, I agree on a lot of those points.
The Russia aspect doesn’t fit with the rest of the show. Sooner they do away with that storyline the better. Season 2 strayed with the Chicago, number 8 episode and season 3 strayed with Russia. This season feels more like the horror we got in season 1, as for the creature I figure the upside down has a lot of different ones which all seem buried in D&D lore.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Finished the 7 episodes and really enjoyed it alot. I figured out what was going on about 5 minutes before all the revelations started happening.
I'm very happy with where the show currently sits.

My only complaint is that some of the CGI is really wonky.

I loved every episode of season 4 so far and the magic has certainly not been lost just because the characters have gotten a little older. Every episode left me wanting more!

Also what the fuck Netflix holding the other episodes until July 1st.

UF7Q4T5.gif

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I loved every episode of season 4 so far and the magic has certainly not been lost just because the characters have gotten a little older. Every episode left me wanting more!

Also what the fuck Netflix holding the other episodes until July 1st.

UF7Q4T5.gif

To finish the effects. Almost same reason they staggered the season of Masters of the Universe Revelation... Had to polish the animation.

Edit: I loved every dang episode! I hadn't felt as much tension in a show as that episode where the boys had to flee those army goons! I was literally SCREAMING at them to GO! LMBO!

AND THAT ENDING of episode 7!!!!

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Just finished episode one, and the production values are considerably better.
The lighting, the set design, the costume design, the visual effects, and the editing are all solid.
They did a great job getting me emotionally invested in these characters again.

I was thinking I was pretty much done with the Stranger Things, but I think I'm back in with this season.
We'll still have to see how this all pans out though.

sol_bad

I agree. It is a scam to get people to stay subbed. No one will convince me it's for my own good or to add extra touches.

It's not a scam, a streaming service can release shows in whatever manner they want. Shows in general used to be released weekly.
And I personally think weekly releases are better for audiences as it's easier to engage in conversation about the show, everyone is on the same page. When a whole season is dropped in one day, everyone watches it at different rates.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
It's not a scam, a streaming service can release shows in whatever manner they want. Shows in general used to be released weekly.
And I personally think weekly releases are better for audiences as it's easier to engage in conversation about the show, everyone is on the same page. When a whole season is dropped in one day, everyone watches it at different rates.
I agree that they can do what they want. It's to keep people subbed though. I would rather just watch it.

All these good impressions!!! Am I really on neogaf? Everyone loved to hate on this show lol.

Was hooked in all seasons before but haven't got to see this one yet. I'll give a try.

obie

Neo Member
I never liked this show. People thought it was “amazing” when first released. It was mid at best. Wynona’s horrible over acting and the mega lame monster certainly didnt help.

hollams

Gold Member
This was probably the best ATMOS sound mix of any show on a streaming service I've heard, it was amazing. The first 5 minutes of the first episode was awesome and it just kept getting better. I watched all the episodes and really enjoyed every one. It was a bit different than the other seasons, but I'm ok with that.

Ending Spoiler
I did like the fact they didn't end this part with a huge cliffhanger. If they would have ended it after episode 6 that would have been a long wait.

Just have the last episode left, but man the ending of episode
was, imo, the best horror the show has ever done.
Really liked Chrissy, sad she didn't last longer.
Season has been fantastic.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I would be completely onboard for a Duffer bros Elm Street reboot.

Yeah, I could see that. Elm Street is definitely due a modern retelling. There’s so much scope in the concept beyond what they could do in the 80s. Freddy could be absolutely fucking horrific if they had the balls to do him that way.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah, I could see that. Elm Street is definitely due a modern retelling. There’s so much scope in the concept beyond what they could do in the 80s. Freddy could be absolutely fucking horrific if they had the balls to do him that way.
Was the reboot they did with Jackie earl Hayley any good? I hated his makeup so I never bothered.

daveonezero

Banned
Those first 4 episodes were awesome. I don’t like the El story or California branch but really enjoy the Hawkins story. And Hopper, Joyce and Russia are fun.

5 and 6 a bit boring but enjoying 7 right now.

Markio128

I sort of wish Netflix released the episodes weekly to keep the anticipation up, like they often do on Disney+. I feel like I lost a bit of interest at certain times, just because I was watching two or 3 episodes at a time. Still, I‘ve enjoyed it for the most part and it even got my daughter into Kate Bush.

bitbydeath

I sort of wish Netflix released the episodes weekly to keep the anticipation up, like they often do on Disney+. I feel like I lost a bit of interest at certain times, just because I was watching two or 3 episodes at a time. Still, I‘ve enjoyed it for the most part and it even got my daughter into Kate Bush.
I’d hate that, daily episodes though should be a thing everywhere.

Finished Season 4 Part 1

It was good. I felt the length of the episodes were a bit too long.

Season 2 is still the best. But this Season was way better than the 3rd Season

farmerboy

100% this.

Release weekly and at least it's enjoyed over a 3 month window.

mxbison

Not sure what but something is missing.

It doesn't feel like an actual 80's show anymore, more like a modern show that takes place in the 80's.

Still fun to watch though.

Top Bottom