• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things | Season 4 | Part 1

I sort of wish Netflix released the episodes weekly to keep the anticipation up, like they often do on Disney+. I feel like I lost a bit of interest at certain times, just because I was watching two or 3 episodes at a time. Still, I‘ve enjoyed it for the most part and it even got my daughter into Kate Bush.
Suprised people like this, I would much rather have it all in one go. Having to wait an entire week for one episode is so annoying and even worse if the episode sucks. Give me binge streaming any day of the week.

Kev Kev

ok was i supposed to be crying like a bitch at the end of episode 4 bc wtf man that shit just wrecked me. im also a giant pussy so... but fr absolutely amazing scene. i cant read anything itt or respond to anyone until i finish, but god damn im loving this season rn. i dont think im going to be able to resist, might have to watch the rest tonite. if not, then tomorrow. either way ill be back

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I resubscribed to 'Flix after all of my friends were gushing over it. Finished ep2 and I have to say this remains the best TV show out there. Even the bit part actors kill it.

sol_bad

ok was i supposed to be crying like a bitch at the end of episode 4 bc wtf man that shit just wrecked me. im also a giant pussy so... but fr absolutely amazing scene. i cant read anything itt or respond to anyone until i finish, but god damn im loving this season rn. i dont think im going to be able to resist, might have to watch the rest tonite. if not, then tomorrow. either way ill be back

My eyes definitely teared up, easily the best moment in all of Stranger Things for me.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Not crying externally but the sadness and the i had a they actually gonna do this ?? Type thought.

Hardensoul

Really enjoying season 4, I’m not one to be terrified of horror movies/shows. So I can’t comment on horror aspect.

These are long episodes over an hour and 20 min over on couple episodes. I didn’t mind it because I was engrossed in the story! Even though it seem to have retconned into season 1.

Tieno

And to think we still have a 4 hour final 2 episodes. Netflix money actually being put to good use. God damn. The way it’s executed and with the long episodes, It feels like it’s untethered, in a good way

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Dustin did talk about the movie and this season is sorta like the movie!

Yeah it’s more than sort of like NOES. It’s like an evolution of NOES.

Check out who is playing the old man that NANCY goes to visit in the secured unit. Which in itself, that whole scene is in homage to SOTL

Hardensoul

Yeah it’s more than sort of like NOES. It’s like an evolution of NOES.

Check out who is playing the old man that NANCY goes to visit in the secured unit. Which in itself, that whole scene is in homage to SOTL
Yes! It’s
Robert Englund
. Johnny Depp won today NOES was his first movie appearance! Odd timing.

MastaKiiLA

Another good season. Each episode feels very complete this season. Like a lot of ground gets covered each time. I'm glad Mike and El are separated right now, as their drama really drags the show down IMO. It's easily the worst part of the season for me. I love that we're finally getting a payoff for the series opener. El's backstory has been interesting so far. I'm surprised at how much I'm also enjoying the Hopper side story.

The one negative might be the constant no-sells of pretty painful injuries. Multiple characters now. It's a minor gripe, but stands out for me.

Kev Kev

Okay just finished and holy fuck yes, that shit blew my tits off.

Loved every second of it and can’t wait for more. There are a few weird decisions made, narratively speaking, but nothing that was show killing by any means. Man, I’m super happy about how that came out, and genuinely surprised tbh. I can’t believe it, they got me again! I love this crazy ass show and how it pulls on my nostalgia/heart strings. Now if they’d just give up on this whole breaking seasons into parts thing. There’s what, 2 episodes left? Come on, just release them, that seems so silly

sol_bad

My only complaint about the show is the CGI, I really hope the last 2 episodes have bigger budget allocations. The monster and environment CGI is perfectly fine. But the human CGI is really bad.

Story spoilers maybe?
Towards the end, El's photoshoped head on a younger body looked terrible and took me out of the scene every time. Also the deaths when people are floating in the air and their bones are snapping, really bad CGI with pretty poor animation, again, took me out of those scenes at times.

Mossybrew

Wont lie that Kate Bush needle drop hit pretty hard. Hopper's Russian Sidequest has been the only weak point of the season so far.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just started watching and my biggest complaint is....

Why are there 30 year Olds studying in high school? Did the lab do an experiment where everyone aged by 15 years or became regressed or something?

I know it's a Hollywood trope but Goddamn, how hard is it to get teen actors? Especially the guys here. Half of them look like they could have their own kids in high school. Combine it with the schlocky over the top 80s teen clothing and it's weird town crazy street.

bitbydeath

Why are there 30 year Olds studying in high school? Did the lab do an experiment where everyone aged by 15 years or became regressed or something?

I know it's a Hollywood trope but Goddamn, how hard is it to get teen actors? Especially the guys here. Half of them look like they could have their own kids in high school. Combine it with the schlocky over the top 80s teen clothing and it's weird town crazy street.
They aren’t?
Nancy’s a journalist, Steve keeps getting odd jobs and I don’t remember what Jonathan’s doing, but it isn’t school.

That scene, is imo, the best scene in the whole series. Nothing comes close. The music, the tension, Sadie Sinks acting! The flashbacks, particularly the ones with Lucas.

What's funny is during seasons 2 and 3 Max was such an unlikeable character imo. She was just always a bitch. Now she's sympathetic and great in every scene.

Kev Kev

That scene, is imo, the best scene in the whole series. Nothing comes close. The music, the tension, Sadie Sinks acting! The flashbacks, particularly the ones with Lucas.

What's funny is during seasons 2 and 3 Max was such an unlikeable character imo. She was just always a bitch. Now she's sympathetic and great in every scene.
well said, couldn't agree more. theres this really powerful message of hope and remembering why life is awesome and beautiful, and why its worth it to stick around, even in your darkest moments where everything seems to be crumbling around you. damn man it really got me lol. not sure how another scene is going to top that. it kind of encapsulates the whole stranger things message, imo.

Tieno

well said, couldn't agree more. theres this really powerful message of hope and remembering why life is awesome and beautiful, and why its worth it to stick around, even in your darkest moments where everything seems to be crumbling around you. damn man it really got me lol. not sure how another scene is going to top that. it kind of encapsulates the whole stranger things message, imo.
I love how they use the idea of “music makes you calm” and the minute her favorite song starts playing it unlocks all these good memories with her friends, which is what saves her. Your favorite music is usually attached to these good memories, which you sort of re-experience whenever you hear that song. Perfect execution on all fronts, acting, song choice, story, character, visuals, editting, god damn.

Last edited:
Can someone explain something to me?
How is the mind flayer connected to Vecna? Was that ever explained?
I haven't watched it but looking it up it has not been explained yet.

Although I'm still trying to figure out from the spoilers and everything that I read, does Vecna steal the "souls" of his victims? because from what I read it's implied he does, sort of at least.

It's a pain in the ass to work with actual kids. Have to follow a shit ton of regulations. That's why the trope exists imo.

Kev Kev

Can someone explain something to me?
How is the mind flayer connected to Vecna? Was that ever explained?
it hasnt been explained yet, afaik. i imagine number One was somehow saved and/or indoctrinated by the Mind Flayer. hopefully they reveal more in those last 2 episodes

Last edited:

Aggrotek

This season has been great, but I feel like the writers just don't really know what to do with the adults of the gang this time around. Hopefully that changes with the last 2 episodes.l

bitbydeath

I remember that, I more wondering how that came to be. Hopefully we'll get the answer in the last 2 episodes.
Mind Flayer = Dream Demons
Vecna = Freddy Krueger
images

You can see Vecna using the Mind Flayers vines to power himself.

images

Top Bottom