• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger's phone left on my property. Possible burglar targeting my house?

Yes friends and family come to my house and also delivery people but no one was expected to come today.

I've managed to enable Siri and ask it a question but it's in Chinese so asking who's phone is this doesn't work.

I will return it to a police station, ATT store, or Apple store in the morning. Thanks for your help.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just fucking take it to the police station.

Why are you working yourself up over nothing and making things so difficult?

Because someone he doesn’t know has clearly been on his property right up to the front door and he doesn’t know who or why. I can understand why that might freak him out

Go into it and look for contact info so you can send an email to the owner. That's what I did when I found an iPad in the street one day. Of course this involves not acting like a gigantic wuss, but hey you do you, OP.
Just fucking take it to the police station.

Why are you working yourself up over nothing and making things so difficult?

for real, god damn

jts

...hate me...
Listen carefully, that phone is going to ring in 3 days, and you’ll have to say the following words in chinese...

Nah bro I’m joking, that will be the day when an iPhone battery lasts 3 days LOL

Besides reporting it to the police, I’d take this as an oportunity to install some basic video surveillance. Especially as you’ve been burglarized in the past already.

Ah the iPhone, that well known calling card of would be burglars. Start moving stuff out of your place right now so that when they arrive there will be nothing for them to steal.

KissVibes

Banned
Because someone he doesn't know has clearly been on his property right up to the front door and he doesn't know who or why. I can understand why that might freak him out

Then take it to the cops?

I don't know what the patrons of NeoGAF.com can do besides tell him common sense options or fill his head with a bunch of paranoia like these two

Don't bring the phone inside your house or don't turn it on, because it will hack your network.

This is true, it's the updated version of leaving a USB stick full of Trojans in the car park of a company knowing someone will pick it us and put it in the office PC. They left the phone there so you would find it and take it inside. You've now been infiltrated and your security and privacy have been compromised. It's probably not Chinese language you are looking at but North Korean.

Maybe you guys should become correspondents for alex jones

Fliesen

someone could've found that phone in front of your driveway / your house / your gate, and they figured. "that's likely the phone of the person who lives there, i better put it in front of their door, out here it might just get taken by a random passerby".

that's what i could imagine doing.

Then again, i'd put it in the mailbox.

Could someone, without joking around or exaggerating, explain how leaving iPhones lying around possibly relates to burglary?
Like, I don't get it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Could someone, without joking around or exaggerating, explain how leaving iPhones lying around possibly relates to burglary?
Like, I don't get it.

If I found a cellphone in my backyard (behind locked gates), I would think someone was back there that was not supposed to be.

Since this seems to be the front porch, I would still find it strange but could wave it off as a mistake from a delivery person of someone who came up to my porch.

Here's how I imagined it: burglar walks up to my door to see if anyone is home, knocks and hears my chihuahua barking, runs away without his phone.

It was probably a delivery guy with the wrong address.

OR WAS IT? I shouldn't have entered the creepy audio recordings thread.

Fuck me. Why does GAF think every found phone belongs to a criminal of some sort and why do they not know what to do with them?

If I found a cellphone in my backyard (behind locked gates), I would think someone was back there that was not supposed to be.

Since this seems to be the front porch, I would still find it strange but could wave it off as a mistake from a delivery person of someone who came up to my porch.

Yeah.. To be scared of burglary because of this is likely from bad experiences and thus dormant, but already present fears, I guess.

Fuck me. Why does GAF think every found phone belongs to a criminal of some sort and why do they not know what to do with them?
Right? Who was that guy who threw the phone he found into a dumpster? Absolutely ludicrous.

Maybe someone dropped their phone infront of your house and another bystander put the phone infront of your door thinking it was one of the homeowners who dropped it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Maybe someone dropped their phone infront of your house and another bystander put the phone infront of your door thinking it was one of the homeowners who dropped it.

This literally just happened last month with a wallet and $1,500 cash.

XIiXo0b.gif

See it all over Facebook suggested shit.

http://nbc4i.com/2017/09/20/man-returns-wallet-he-found-and-the-1500-in-cash-that-was-in-it/

Because someone he doesn’t know has clearly been on his property right up to the front door and he doesn’t know who or why. I can understand why that might freak him out

So inform the cops. What the fuck is gaf going to do other than post really funny gifs about it, which I admit is always the best part.

So inform the cops. What the fuck is gaf going to do other than post really funny gifs about it, which I admit is always the best part.

I actually really appreciate these "GAF, I made eye contact with a smiling man in front of my house. Am I going to be bludgeoned to death?" type posts.
Put things into perspective, you know?

Also, I think a good ribbing from GAF is likely better than actually sitting there alone with your thoughts. Everyone wins.
even the burglar who'll have an easy time one OP let's his guard down

y'all know this falls under what the police are supposed to cover, right

it's not all shootbangs and ethnic cleansing

Are you sure?
Here in Austria, the only found objects police are responsible for are firearms (and maybe drugs, I think).
If you come with a phone, they'd just tell you where to drop it off.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Hey GAF, I found this box of microwave food in my freezer with some other guy's name on it, Stouffer's - is someone breaking into my house to eat dinner?

In all seriousness, it could be a maintenance person's or something.

Like the great Dane Cook once said: I'd like to just kick open home doors and not take anything, just to scare them. Someone's doing that just with a cellphone.

MazeHaze

Banned
If you've been burglarized before and you don't have an alarm and camera, you are playing yourself.

My house was burglarized in July, twice in a month. Got an alarm after the first one, second time as soon as they popped the door open the alarm scared em off and the police had already been through the house by the time I got there. Best purchase I've ever made, can't believe I went so long without one.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

He should call the police, tell them that he is worried that someone will enter his property again, and that a patrol should stop by to take the evidence with them.

Ambient80

This was my first thought, and certainly far before I would ever think “Man, someone must be getting ready to break into my house!!”

Top Bottom