• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger's phone left on my property. Possible burglar targeting my house?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Ridiculous, a burglar makes zero sense. Definitely a serial killer that got bored waiting for you to come home.

MazeHaze

Banned
I don't think burglar is a paranoid thought at all.

Burglars frequently will be up at your doors and windows scoping the place out before they break in. They also usually will come to the front door and knock, if you're home they'll give you a "wrong house sorry" excuse. If you're not home they will break in.

It's very possible that someone was doing the knock test, and something spooked them. The day before I got burglarized for the first time, there was a loud playful knock at my front door. I yelled "just a minute" and made my way to the door to find nobody there. Got home from work the next day, back door was kicked in, electronics were gone.

entremet

I've been burglarized before. It sucks. But legit burglars casing your place are usually very thorough and not this careless. Remember, a burglar risks their life when they attempt a break in, especially with Castle Law being law in many states.

I'm guessing it was some careless religious institution (Mormons, JW) or door to door salesperson.

No need to be paranoid.

MazeHaze

Banned
I've been burglarized before. It sucks. But legit burglars casing your place are usually very thorough and not this careless. Remember, a burglar risks their life when they attempt a break in, especially with Castle Law being law in many states.

I'm guessing it was some careless religious institution (Mormons, JW) or door to door salesperson.

No need to be paranoid.
Sometimes they aren't "legit burglars" though. In my case, they did a really shitty job, took the ps3 but not the ps4, left the oculus and two Pcs, took the KS8000 but not the one connect box.

The kicker though, they took two tablets. We recovered the first one from a kid when we got an email notification that he tried to sign up for a texting app. GPS located it, called the police.

The next week, the same thing happened with the other tablet, but this time it was the kid's younger brother. These kids were 11 and 9. I have a video on my tablet that the 9 year old took of himself holding up gang signs and singing "gang gang gang, this our gang, on the east siiiide, gang gang gang"

Obviously they had an older kid with them to transport the 55 inch TV and kick in the door. My point is there are all kinds of burglars.

I don't think burglar is a paranoid thought at all.

Burglars frequently will be up at your doors and windows scoping the place out before they break in. They also usually will come to the front door and knock, if you're home they'll give you a "wrong house sorry" excuse. If you're not home they will break in.

It's very possible that someone was doing the knock test, and something spooked them. The day before I got burglarized for the first time, there was a loud playful knock at my front door. I yelled "just a minute" and made my way to the door to find nobody there. Got home from work the next day, back door was kicked in, electronics were gone.

But how does leaving a phone fit into this?
Burglars exist, but I don't see how a left phone is an indicatior

Take it to the police and tell them you have been robbed before, and you suspect that it's possible that a possible robber might have been casing your house.

Police will of course try to find the owner of the phone and take his/her statement how their phone could have ended at your door.

And if you get robbed in the very near future, the police would already have a suspect, so there's a decent chance you would get your stuff back.

If it turns out just to be a series of unfortunate events that led the phone being at your door, then you can take pride that the phone found its way home.

okdakor

The guy was inside your house when you found his phone, his own video surveillance... He exited by the back door and left his monitoring phone.

OZeAN93.jpg

MazeHaze

Banned
But how does leaving a phone fit into this?
Burglars exist, but I don't see how a left phone is an indicatior

Because it's by his front door and he said his mailbox is by the gate. Burglar could have easily dropped the phone.

Burglar is just as much a possibility as any other reason someone he doesn't know would open his gate and make their way to his front door.

Because someone he doesn’t know has clearly been on his property right up to the front door and he doesn’t know who or why. I can understand why that might freak him out

Did you know there are homes and apartments in the US that aren’t separated from the public by gates?

Anyone casing a place who drops an $800 phone at the mark’s front door probably isn’t a very good thief. Just take it to the police and relax.

Because it's by his front door and he said his mailbox is by the gate. Burglar could have easily dropped the phone.

Burglar is just as much a possibility as any other reason someone he doesn't know would open his gate and make their way to his front door.

Yes.
Burglar, bored trespassing kid, drunk person, someone having found the phone right outside, murderer, cookie selling girl scouts, there's just loads of possibilities.

I'm trying to figure out the thought process, why "burglar" is an immediate thought.
It sounds like such a scary world to see yourself in.
This whole thing reminds we of that thread where it turned out that loads of people don't open when someone knocks or rings at their door.

Catdaddy

Take a picture of the phone and put "found" posters up around the neighborhood.

Since you open the phone, you put it in Airplane mode, right?

Addi

Maybe it was stolen, the thief couldn't open it because of password and threw it over the the gate to your doorstep.

MazeHaze

Banned
Yes.
Burglar, bored trespassing kid, drunk person, someone having found the phone right outside, murderer, cookie selling girl scouts, there's just loads of possibilities.

I'm trying to figure out the thought process, why "burglar" is an immediate thought.
It sounds like such a scary world to see yourself in.
This whole thing reminds we of that thread where it turned out that loads of people don't open when someone knocks or rings at their door.
Depends where you live honestly. I've been burglarized multiple times. Not being open to the possibility of a burglary at your home is oblivious IMO. It's not like burglary is some rare occurrence that has no chance of happening to you. And It's not like it has to be some mastermind cat burglar. It's usually crackheads or teenagers.

I also don't answer my door if It's after dark. Forced entry robberies are far more common than you would think. If someone you know needs you, they will call.

Top Bottom