• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming’s price hikes: Spotify is set to get more expensive: reports

Spyxos

Gold Member
0x0-20.jpg

Spotify’s rate hike, which would reportedly raise the price of its individual “Premium Plan” to $10.99 per month, is the latest in a string of streaming services to increase pricing, following Amazon Music’s decision in January to increase its “Unlimited Individual Plan” from $9.99 to $10.99 per month, while raising its student pricing from $4.99 to $5.99 per month (Forbes reached out to Spotify for confirmation).

YouTube Music this week also increased the price of its individual music plan from $8.99 per month to $10.99, while Spotify rival Apple Music raised its prices in October by $1 for individual users and by $2 for families, to $10.99 and $16.99 per month, respectively.

Netflix also adjusted its subscription model this month, scrapping its cheapest ad-free plan for new customers in the U.S. and U.K., in a move to drive new subscribers to more expensive ad-free plans or a cheaper plan with ads, a move Netflix had previously sworn off—Netflix’s ad-free “Standard Plan” costs $15.49 per month while a “Premium Plan” with four simultaneous streams goes for $19.99 and its “Standard With Ads Plan” costs $6.99 per month.

Also this month: NBCUniversal’s Peacock raised its rates from $4.99 to $5.99 per month for its “Premium Plan” while increasing its ad-free plan from $9.99 to $11.99—the latest streaming service to do so as the so-called streaming wars heat up.

Just got an email my sub is going up a dollar. Figure it’s as good a time as any to take up that 6 months free Apple Music offer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Inflation is a bitch.

I got the email about Peacock. I got the two-month free trial from Xbox - just in time for my annual monthly subscription to watch the Tour de France live. Looks like next year I'll have to pay more. I would not subscribe to this monthly though.

£1 more a month? Not too bad!

Anyway I usually buy the £99 gift code on Amazon so i get 12 months for the price of 10 or £8.25/month over a year. I just bought another year recently because I knew it was a matter of time before a price hike came. My sub is good until December 2024. I'm tempted to get another year while it's still at £99 for a year....

But again, if I was paying monthly it's only an extra £12/year. I can't live without Spotify so they could've hiked it to £20/month and I'd still pay.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Never used premium. I don’t really use the Spotify.
I don't use premium, because I don't need to. I use Spotify primarily to listen to podcasts and it never interrupts them to play ads. And even if I listen to songs I restart the app which takes a few seconds and the ad 'problem' goes away.

dorkimoe

Its the licenses and owners of the content that are causing this. Licensing fees are just ridiculous. They end up paying x amount of dollars to have 1 show from a network and not all the shows, so they get nickel and dimed too.

ahtlas7

I just signed up for apple music family plan ~$15. So many albums in atmos! My tinnitus is in overdrive.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Spotify stock losses intensify after earnings miss and price hikes​

Spotify stock notched its second-consecutive day of significant declines Tuesday as investors responded sourly to the music streaming service’s price hikes in its premium plan and another quarter of staggering losses.​

• Spotify shares tumbled more than 12% to $144 by 3 p.m. ET, slipping to their lowest level since late May and building on the stock’s 4.7% loss Monday.
  • Driving the losses Monday, the Swedish company announced it would raise the price for its individual Premium plan from $9.99 to $10.99, while a quarterly earnings report Tuesday morning disappointed financial expectations and further doused the stock.
  • Spotify lost roughly $330 million during the second quarter, far worse than its $225 million loss during the first quarter and its $138 million loss during the second quarter of last year, while its $3.5 billion of quarterly revenue came in short of consensus analyst estimates tracked by FactSet.
  • Yet, the company painted a different picture in its earnings release, as it highlighted its strongest-ever quarterly growth in monthly active users and its best-ever second quarter for paid subscriber growth, primarily attributing its losses to its efforts to “streamline operations and reduce costs.”
  • Shares of Spotify are still up about 80% this year, though they are down nearly 60% from their 2021 all-time high of nearly $370.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's how they get you in the keep net isn't it?

Probably sitting there saying its only $/£1 I spend $/£ 4-6 a day on a shit cup of coffee or can of drink etc.

And that's the rub. Cos you only look at it being 'just a pound / dollar' you write it off. And then everything goes up a pound or a dollar and you act like its fine cos you would spend £/$50 if you were going out Friday but because your staying in this weekend, money saved.

But they're cunts for it at the end of the day.

It's how they get you in the keep net isn't it?

Probably sitting there saying its only $/£1 I spend $/£ 4-6 a day on a shit cup of coffee or can of drink etc.

And that's the rub. Cos you only look at it being 'just a pound / dollar' you write it off. And then everything goes up a pound or a dollar and you act like its fine cos you would spend £/$50 if you were going out Friday but because your staying in this weekend, money saved.

But they're cunts for it at the end of the day.
if it was £12, 15, 20/month i'd still pay for it. well, i'd give Apple Music a try again first but probably would go back to Spotify. Last time I tried Apple Music they didn't have an app on Windows so I had to use iTunes 🤮, listen to the web player which broke every 5 minutes, or use a third party app that also had a lot of issues. I do most of my listening on desktop so that was a major reason I went back to Spotify. Also i think that Spotify has far better recommendations than Apple.

If I were to ditch Spotify then Apple is really the only other service I'd use. I'm paid up to December 2024 for Spotify but if I was paying monthly I wouldn't mind an extra £1/month. If it goes up again then I will be giving Apple another try in 2025.

Nitty_Grimes

I'm on Apple One (share music with a relative) but have 2TB of fucking cloud that I just don't use, Apple Arcade and News that never gets touched either. Hey ho.

I'm on Apple One (share music with a relative) but have 2TB of fucking cloud that I just don't use, Apple Arcade and News that never gets touched either. Hey ho.
i was going to sign up to that too. seemed like a good deal. not sure what it's like now. i think it'd be good for just apple music and tv+

Nitty_Grimes

You can share it with up to 5 people so good if you are paying the £32 (or your equivalent) and get 5 others to pony up £10 for Apple Music alone but pay you.

The 2TB of cloud is shared between you all mind you - fine for me my relative isn't interested in cloud, just music. I'm losing out but no other way in my situation.

Top Bottom