• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition: Free update arcade mode & more; $40 game+DLC bundle

kunonabi

Going by what Lupinko said about the DLC characters being a download code, it'll probably also include the Battle Outfits for said DLC characters. And while yes, expecting every single costume for a game that's still gonna get support up to the end of 2020 is a bit unrealistic (especially at the rate at which Capcom's adding costumes), at least including the Battle Outfits for the original 16 characters (more so when said costumes are already available in a discounted bundle) would have at least been feasible.

Honestly I'd have been happy enough with just having the story costumes included, which always should have been free to begin with, and either lowering the battle costume prices or making them available for FM purchases too.

The game is just in weird position as the battle costumes are too expensive to spend real money on and the character pass sales are too good to waste fm on them.

SFV has so much additional content, that I don't think it's realistic at all to expect all of the DLC to be included.

However, I do think they should have at least included the original cast story outfits and/or possibly their battle outfits as well.

But you will have a massive amount of fm easilly available with this package.
Its like, you can basically think they are giving you season 1 and 2 cast plus a blank check for all those costumes or the season 3 characters with this.

kirblar

Going by what Lupinko said about the DLC characters being a download code, it'll probably also include the Battle Outfits for said DLC characters. And while yes, expecting every single costume for a game that's still gonna get support up to the end of 2020 is a bit unrealistic (especially at the rate at which Capcom's adding costumes), at least including the Battle Outfits for the original 16 characters (more so when said costumes are already available in a discounted bundle) would have at least been feasible.
This has been confirmed. The codes are for the S1 and S2 season passes.

vg260

But you will have a massive amount of fm easilly available with this package.
Its like, you can basically think they are giving you season 1 and 2 cast plus a blank check for all those costumes or the season 3 characters with this.

That was going to be there no matter how this was packaged, and if you bought them all separately.

There is no reason for anyone other than brand new users to buy this package, which is not always the case for GotY-like packages. There are often small incentives for people to double-dip, like having a physical copy other users could use characters with, which they can't do here. Something like bundling the story or battle costumes might have done that.

I get their reasoning, but I don't think adding those to the package would have been unreasonable or asking too much.

That was going to be there no matter how this was packaged, and if you bought them all separately.

There is no reason for anyone other than brand new users to buy this package, which is not always the case for GotY-like packages. There are often small incentives for people to double-dip, like having a physical copy other users could use characters with, which they can't do here. Something like bundling the story or battle costumes might have done that.

I get their reasoning, but I don't think adding those to the package would have been unreasonable or asking too much.

I thought not having to double dip was a big selling point of sfv since the beginning though?
I mean, in all honesty this is just a pretty double season pass in a nut shell.
They probably just want old customers buying a season 3 pass if anything.

I thought not having to double dip was a big selling point of sfv since the beginning though?

This is exactly what they want & are intending. In fact, given that SFV AE base package is $40, I actually think they are going to go and do a SF AE Deluxe at $60 which comes with a Season 3 pass, and the reason they haven't announced it yet is cause they haven't announced season 3.

Honestly I'd have been happy enough with just having the story costumes included, which always should have been free to begin with, and either lowering the battle costume prices or making them available for FM purchases too.

The game is just in weird position as the battle costumes are too expensive to spend real money on and the character pass sales are too good to waste fm on them.

Its the trade off for stuff being potentially free which is honestly a good way to put out DLC on Capcom's part. Something HAS to potentially bring in revenue. Making games in general is more expensive the outfits and DLC characters are definitely at a higher quality than what was in 4. Some of the costumes in that game were abominations and low effort. Capcom prices are pretty decent compared to other service games, still allowing choice and haven't resorted to doing lootboxes which with what is in SFV they probably could do it with duplicates giving you Fight Money. The good thing is none of the "expensive" stuff is required its all optional you could be playing the vanilla roster/version this entire time and still play with the most up to date community. I don't blame them for not bundle-ling in the Battle Costumes because they haven't lost value they are still relevant and will be till the game stops being supported in late 2020. I like this game so im for them actually making money off of something to keep supporting it. There will never be a version of DOA5 with every costume for $60 and I doubt there will be for SFV too when its all done.

This is exactly what they want & are intending. In fact, given that SFV AE base package is $40, I actually think they are going to go and do a SF AE Deluxe at $60 which comes with a Season 3 pass, and the reason they haven't announced it yet is cause they haven't announced season 3.

Hmm, now that would be a dirty deal, because as I said, you would be spoiled with fm with just the current $40 deal.
With just a modicum of skill and patience, you can do season 3 and a few stages and costumes besides with this.

vg260

It was, but one drawback is if you have another player in your household, the DLC is not shared system-wide unlike most other games, so a second account won't have access to all the same content.

Hmm, now that would be a dirty deal, because as I said, you would be spoiled with fm with just the current $40 deal.
With just a modicum of skill and patience, you can do season 3 and a few stages and costumes besides with this.

This package isn't netting you any extra FM you wouldn't also get by buying these separately, so that really shouldn't be considered in the value. It's just a discount on the base game and season passes. (i.e. a lower entry fee).

In S1, Ryu could start a throw loop in the corner and it was literally as easy as doing throw -> cr.lp -> throw -> cr.lp -> cr.lp. You could at the same time choose to do a meaty with st.mp instead. You could also easily get a setup if your opponent did a late tech too.

They removed that from S1 to S2 by increasing the recovery time and the distance between you and your opponent.... but kept in Ken's throw loop which is EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME except Ken's shimmy game is better and he does st.lk as a frame-kill instead of cr.lp

What's so painful about this is that Ryu needed his throw loop probably more so than any other character in this game. He doesn't get to pressure unlike most of the cast. DP leads to nothing, fireball is just a reset, tatsu only works if you're opponent is standing so blowing up someone's crouch jab forces you to use meter for more damage and you don't even get to pressure on top of that.

I hate all throw loops and his j. LK was bull shit, but if any character in this game needed shit like that it was him. Meanwhile Ken and Akuma have reliable special enders that lead back into themselves, throw loops, anti air normals that lead to mix ups or more damage, and they can V Trigger cancel their specials. Just to specify though, I don't want him to get j. LK or his throw loop back. I want other buffs that will really help him where he's weak at. Who knows if Capcom will address that or just add 10 damage to his fierce DP.

I know I'm complaining about the same shit I've always been complaining about. But man it's just so frustrating everytime I go online to play this guy and I can see what almost every other character can do while I'm using fireballs as my meaty after a knockdown.

What's so painful about this is that Ryu needed his throw loop probably more so than any other character in this game. He doesn't get to pressure unlike most of the cast. DP leads to nothing, fireball is just a reset, tatsu only works if you're opponent is standing so blowing up someone's crouch jab forces you to use meter for more damage and you don't even get to pressure on top of that.

I hate all throw loops and his j. LK was bull shit, but if any character in this game needed shit like that it was him. Meanwhile Ken and Akuma have reliable special enders that lead back into themselves, throw loops, anti air normals that lead to mix ups or more damage, and they can V Trigger cancel their specials.

I know I'm complaining about the same shit I've always been complaining about. But man it's just so frustrating everytime I go online to play this guy and I can see what almost every other character can do while I'm using fireballs as my meaty after a knockdown.
I sympathize with Ryu players. Do no damage, have to play insanely honest, have a useless ass V-Trigger all while watching other characters not worry about any of those things.

mbpm1

Rashid is in no way top 3 maybe top 5 but even that is arguable, and Guile is still top tier. The only difference is people are still not used to rashid players getting better due to more pro players using Rashid and doing well (though they are barely winning anything) but most of Guile tricks and strategies are already known for everyone.

Rashid is probably top 2 tbh

Rymuth

I've unlocked S1/S2 characters without any real money but the possibility of me dipping for a Season 3 pass is becoming very real. I'm way behind on the stages, so I'd like to dedicate Year 3's FM to unlock those.

Seiniyta

Rashid is mad good lol. I love playing him. Probably will even if they nerf him a bunch (they might). Rashid can do too many things unpunished. I'd feel less dirty playing him when they nerf him a bit :p

Ryu need major buffs, at least back to being average/mid tier. But I'm not holding my breath. For some reason Capcom doesn't like it when Ryu is a viable character I feel like which is a shame.

Sakurai at least gave Ryu respect in smash 4 by making him good >.>.

JusDoIt

I've unlocked S1/S2 characters without any real money but the possibility of me dipping for a Season 3 pass is becoming very real. I'm way behind on the stages, so I'd like to dedicate Year 3's FM to unlock those.

I tend to buy the passes since they come with premium costumes and use all my FM for stages and whatever else.

sinkfla87

So I guess Ryu's second v-trigger isn't in fact Evil Ryu according to a screenshot I saw on eventhubs. Bummer.

06_ryu-vtrig01.jpg

Ryu need major buffs, at least back to being average/mid tier. But I'm not holding my breath. For some reason Capcom doesn't like it when Ryu is a viable character I feel like which is a shame.

It's basically SF4 all over again. Ryu was top tier from the beginning and then nerfed down to mid and bottom tier the rest of the series. He never received any meaningful buffs that could really help him.

I think this is the reason why many of us are clamoring for Evil Ryu. He's basically a Ryu that's allowed to be good and unique instead of super boring plain Jane Ryu. Don't get me wrong, I actually really do like boring Ryu. It's just that his current design doesn't fit the design of this game like he didn't fit in SF4 either.

But anyways, about the picture showing off Ryu's new V Trigger. As many have pointed it, it looks like his focus attack from SF4. From the looks of it, it might be another charge up and play chicken with your opponent like Abigail's V Trigger. The problem with that is that Ryu already has a V trigger like that, charging up his denjin hado is basically the same thing. This V Trigger might be good/decent though if he has armor like Abigail and can do full damage. But that would make his 1st V Trigger that much worse in comparison. It needs to last longer and buff his damage more with less of a focus on the guard break denjin which is an extremely risky thing to do(outside of a set up) with so little reward.

kitzkozan

It's basically SF4 all over again. Ryu was top tier from the beginning and then nerfed down to mid and bottom tier the rest of the series. He never received any meaningful buffs that could really help him.

I think this is the reason why many of us are clamoring for Evil Ryu. He's basically a Ryu that's allowed to be good and unique instead of super boring plain Jane Ryu. Don't get me wrong, I actually really do like boring Ryu. It's just that his current design doesn't fit the design of this game like he didn't fit in SF4 either.

We had people questioning why Ryu was given a donkey kick in SFIII since the move seemed futile given how the character is supposed to play. Well, it makes him more appealing and fun to play since it open wall bounce combos. I would take a SFIII Ryu instead of the same old plain white (super dirty to be fair) gi karate fighter. :p His moveset should be reworked so that he gain back his donkey kick and the shin shoryuken should be his super. His v-trigger properties should be retooled (lessen the time to fully charge the denjin like in SFIII if you rotate the pad / stick) and it's silly that the master of the hadouken can't activate v-trigger to cancel out of the recovery like Ken or Akuma. -_-

qcf x2

So I guess Ryu's second v-trigger isn't in fact Evil Ryu according to a screenshot I saw on eventhubs. Bummer.

06_ryu-vtrig01.jpg

If it was E Ryu then Capcom wouldn't be able to add E Ryu to the roster. I'm a bit salty since they have no problem doing that with Gill, but he'd be overpowered no matter what, anyway. E Ryu is a character that people will pay for, and Capcom will probably stretch the anticipation for at minimum another season.

Nah, Season 3 is SAGAT's time to shine.
Also Remy's.

Season 4 will have Evil Ryu as the first and most popular returning character like how S2 had Akuma, S3 has Sagat.

Is the spoilered entirely speculative or are there rumors?

mbpm1

I sympathize with Ryu players. Do no damage, have to play insanely honest, have a useless ass V-Trigger all while watching other characters not worry about any of those things.

I played a Ryu who taunted and teabagged me all game

I forgave him, it's all he has when he plays Ryu

You're being obtuse for no reason despite my very thorough explanation. Other fighters haven't released as many costumes and stages as SFV and packaged them for $40, nor did they include in-game currency to let you earn several of those. I won't bother replying past this post, it's not worth it. Plus I've been very critical of Capcom when they fuck up, you can look at my MvCI posts and several others regarding SFV's pisspoor state when it launched and the months that followed.

Nor does SFV let you earn currency for any premium costume.

Injustice 2 does and I bet that still gets a complete edition.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I do not dispute that Ryu is low tier at all, but he still does plenty of damage. It might be harder for him to land hits because he's so straightforward but the hits do damage.

Its the trade off for stuff being potentially free which is honestly a good way to put out DLC on Capcom's part. Something HAS to potentially bring in revenue. Making games in general is more expensive the outfits and DLC characters are definitely at a higher quality than what was in 4. Some of the costumes in that game were abominations and low effort. Capcom prices are pretty decent compared to other service games, still allowing choice and haven't resorted to doing lootboxes which with what is in SFV they probably could do it with duplicates giving you Fight Money. The good thing is none of the "expensive" stuff is required its all optional you could be playing the vanilla roster/version this entire time and still play with the most up to date community. I don't blame them for not bundle-ling in the Battle Costumes because they haven't lost value they are still relevant and will be till the game stops being supported in late 2020. I like this game so im for them actually making money off of something to keep supporting it. There will never be a version of DOA5 with every costume for $60 and I doubt there will be for SFV too when its all done.

Yes making games has become more expensive... that's why they've cut so many corners in using Unreal rather than an in house engine, and outsourcing most of the modeling work to freelancers all over the globe (which is why you get some great looking chars like Zangief and you also get Banana Ken).

That's why the game also launched in a very rough unfinished state... with things like stage finishers, interactive backgrounds... even basic controller support and stability on PC only coming about a year after the game went on sale.

You can't tell me a $4 costume accurately reflects the amount of resources that went into making it. A single costume costs 15% of what the entire game retails for.

I mean it is their game and they can charge whatever they want.... but considering how damaged their reputation is currently- perhaps a little more good will towards fans could go a long way.

Probably because ryu players abused it in S1 kinda like how rashid players are abusing it now, so i won't be surprised if they keep Ken's but only remove rashid loop in the next balance update lol.

Karin's is much worse and she can meaty her cr.mp if the opponent tries to jump and backdash.

I do not dispure that Ryu is low tier at all, but he still does plenty of damage. It might be harder for him to land hits because he's so straightforward but the hits do damage.

You're talking about his punishes and jump in combos. That can't be relied on. Without that medium to heavy punch link he does the same damage as everybody else. And unfortunately Ryu doesn't have any moves to compliment his damage potential that would force characters to do risky things like a command throw or a Karin/Cammy st. LK so that he can land that damage. Add in the fact that his throw doesn't allow any follow up pressure and people will be happy just to take the throw and move on.

myco666

Kinda ridiculous to compare something like MKXL giving all costumes when Chunli alone has probably more costumes than what MKXL gives. AE def should give everyones battle costume though.

Here is my quick guess for Chun's new V Trigger. It's Kikosho, everybody can see that. But I think it will work like Zangief's V Trigger. Basically you can cancel any normal into it and it'll give her a juggle state where she can follow up with legs or reset with a normal.

nded

What about the fucking input lag?

Capcom apparently shaved it down from 8.0 frames to 6.0 frames some time ago. Epic says they figured out how to shave off even more frames in the newest version of UE4, but I don't know how easy that will be to apply to the build used by SFV.

kunonabi

Input lag isn't messing most players up. It's the range of the normals. Not that it isn't a problem but still.

I dont know i find it extremely difficult to tech throws in sfv compared to everything else. Maybe its just my connection but its a real pain nonetheless.

Top Bottom