• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition: Free update arcade mode & more; $40 game+DLC bundle

vg260

UE4, in other words we're fucked on that front

There was another thread recently where Epic had posted that they have an update coming to the engine that reduces input lag.

I have no idea if an existing game can be retroactively updated to the new version and if so how complicated that would be. I imagine some developers would be reluctant to do that because it possibly causing other issues to the core game.

Someone follow up if they know.

kirblar

There was another thread recently where Epic had posted that they have an update coming to the engine that refuces input lag.

I have no idea if an existing game can be retroactively updated to the new version and if so how complicated that would be. I imagine some developers would be reluctant to do that because it possibly causing other issues to the core game.

Someone follow up if they know.
Per the discussion in the initial thread, it's doable, but it's a lot of work because you have to iron out an entire new set of bugs.

I suspect the FG issues are a big part of what led to the UE4 updates though, it was becoming a blatant problem when UE3 games on PS4 were fine and UE4 were not.

vg260

Per the discussion in the initial thread, it's doable, but it's a lot of work because you have to iron out an entire new set of bugs.

I suspect the FG issues are a big part of what led to the UE4 updates though, it was becoming a blatant problem when UE3 games on PS4 were fine and UE4 were not.

Yeah, bummer. I hope they at least look into it. The results are pretty significant for fighters.

Neoxon

What about the fucking input lag?
That’s a UE4 problem, not a SFV problem. Epic recently fixed it, but as the others have said, it’ll take a while to apply those changes to the UE4 build that’s used for SFV (or MvCI.....or T7.......but maybe DBFZ).

DunpealD

So I guess Ryu's second v-trigger isn't in fact Evil Ryu according to a screenshot I saw on eventhubs. Bummer.

06_ryu-vtrig01.jpg

Looking at the datamined animation, there is one with an open fist.

This reminds me of the USFIV Omega Ryu parry stance, while your screenshot reminds me of the follow ups:

ZEQbMGr.gif

qqBPFKv.gif

His second V-Trigger might be a buffed parry and some kind of attack.

sinkfla87

This reminds me of the USFIV Omega Ryu parry stance, while your screenshot reminds me of the follow ups:

ZEQbMGr.gif

qqBPFKv.gif

I think you're onto something there. Kinda silly though if that ends up being it, since v skill is already a parry (albeit weaker). Or maybe the v trigger is that itself is actually a buff to the v skill? Would be kinda cool actually. Not Evil Ryu cool but I'll take it.

He does something that looks very similar to this attack in the cinematic story mode. I never played the story mode so I have no idea what even led up to that attack and if it might provide a clue as to what his 2nd V Trigger might be.

tumblr_offjywbMAL1usrgjso1_540.gif

Oh and it better not be a parry and punish type move. I don't want to predict when my opponents going to hit a button. I rather it just be a focus attack than that. Only way I could accept something like that is if it was active on frame 1. The main reason why Ryu's parry sucks is because it seems like every other character besides himself has a block string with only a 2f gap that will easily blow this up.

nded

I think it's that move from the SFIII Ryu Final manga. The one he's working on throughout the story and kills Akuma with in the end?

DunpealD

He does something that looks very similar to this attack in the cinematic story mode. I never played the story mode so I have no idea what even led up to that attack and if it might provide a clue as to what his 2nd V Trigger might be.

Oh and it better not be a parry and punish type move. I don't want to predict when my opponents going to hit a button. I rather it just be a focus attack than that. Only way I could accept something like that is if it was active on frame 1. The main reason why Ryu's parry sucks is because it seems like every other character besides himself has a block string with only a 2f gap that will easily blow this up.

I'm not too sure. I would be more than happy with a 1 frame parry and a punish type move that crumples.

Ryu always seemed targeted toward a more defensive style and Ken going toward offense.
If that ever was their intent, then we can say for sure that they failed magnificently.

MrCarter

I wonder what Urien’s second V-Trigger is? Since they already used his Aegis Reflector as his first Trigger I think the second one will be more original and something that hasn’t been in his arsenal yet.

So what's this about the season 1 and 2 characters being code redeemed only?

When purchasing SFV AE, you receive the codes for the season pass for S1 & S2, thus giving you the characters & their premium costumes.

This is ultimately done as a step for authentication purposes - the current vanilla version of the game will be indistinguishable to AE in regards to them being a client from the server's perspective, meaning the game wouldn't know whether or not you are someone who purchased AE or someone who had their base game upgraded via a patch. And since Capcom isn't giving S!/S2 away to base purchasers without them purchasing that content, either as passes or through FM or individually, then the servers need some other way to authenticate you were an AE purchaser and not a base edition user. Hence the vouchers.

Most likely, the actual physical disc will have the client version needed for the Jan 16th launch, meaning you won't need to download all the S1/S2 characters & patch the game the way the base users have done.

Now I know someone is going to just ask "Why don't they just verify the date your CFN account was created instead of giving vouchers in order to authenticate you're an AE user?" - simple answer to this is that creating CFN accounts costs you nothing. I can make a myriad of PSN accounts on my PS4 & run the digital copy on my machine, and create a CFN profile on each one. Or if what they are looking for is CFN profiles made after Jan 16th, I could merely buy the vanilla game today on a super crazy sale for $!5, not make a CFN profile, then make one on Jan 16th after the game has been updated & get the S1/S2 characters.

The only reasonable way to give out that content without some form of authentication as to whether or not a user is a base SFV user or SFV AE user is by making all of the S1/S2 content free for everyone, which would be both a major burn to the users who purchased those season passes at full price, and it would severely destroy the value proposition of the S3 pass.

When purchasing SFV AE, you receive the codes for the season pass for S1 & S2, thus giving you the characters & their premium costumes.

This is ultimately done as a step for authentication purposes - the current vanilla version of the game will be indistinguishable to AE in regards to them being a client from the server's perspective, meaning the game wouldn't know whether or not you are someone who purchased AE or someone who had their base game upgraded via a patch. And since Capcom isn't giving S!/S2 away to base purchasers without them purchasing that content, either as passes or through FM or individually, then the servers need some other way to authenticate you were an AE purchaser and not a base edition user. Hence the vouchers.

Most likely, the actual physical disc will have the client version needed for the Jan 16th launch, meaning you won't need to download all the S1/S2 characters & patch the game the way the base users have done.

Now I know someone is going to just ask "Why don't they just verify the date your CFN account was created instead of giving vouchers in order to authenticate you're an AE user?" - simple answer to this is that creating CFN accounts costs you nothing. I can make a myriad of PSN accounts on my PS4 & run the digital copy on my machine, and create a CFN profile on each one. Or if what they are looking for is CFN profiles made after Jan 16th, I could merely buy the vanilla game today on a super crazy sale for $!5, not make a CFN profile, then make one on Jan 16th after the game has been updated & get the S1/S2 characters.

The only reasonable way to give out that content without some form of authentication as to whether or not a user is a base SFV user or SFV AE user is by making all of the S1/S2 content free for everyone, which would be both a major burn to the users who purchased those season passes at full price, and it would severely destroy the value proposition of the S3 pass.

That's...actually a really good way of putting it.

Raiku

This update looks fuego but when it comes to the new VTs I was hoping they would let you choose which one to activate during the match as opposed to selecting one before the match like selectable ultras or whatever. It's all good though we'll see how it's implemented.

This update looks fuego but when it comes to the new VTs I was hoping they would let you choose which one to activate during the match as opposed to selecting one before the match like selectable ultras or whatever. It's all good though we'll see how it's implemented.

Having both on tap would probably be hell to try and balance.

mas8705

So here is what I'm trying to figure out:

SFVAE_Arcade_Mode_Screen.jpg

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I was out of town when it got announced. If we were to go off this picture and say that each "arcade mode" will have a specific set of fights, then it would go without saying that some characters featured will be from that game shown from that game. While it would be easy enough to try and pair up fighters to each of the SF games shown, the only thing I can't figure out would be the very first one.

Sure, we had Ryu, Ken, and Birdie, but we still have one more slot open there. It almost makes me wonder if when the Arcade version of the game drops, it will mark the start of Season 3 almost right away. After all, at PSX last year, Akuma was revealed and that marked the start of Season 2, so I wouldn't be shocked at all if this year's PSX will showcase a bit of Arcade mode with a character to get the season started.

If that's the case (and if it will be a return of classic characters) then it shouldn't be too hard to guess that perhaps the first DLC character of Season 3 will actually be Sagat. It would make sense as Sagat would be the last character out of the original SF that could be added in (unless if we were going to get a brand new returning character out of SF). Hopefully, that will be the case and would be a fun way to start the new season.

Hard to believe we are two months out from PSX to confirm if whether or not this will actually happen.

kirblar

They are blatantly teasing Sagat w that pic. They know Flowtron backed up the partial S3 leak. He'll likely be announced at CapCup.

jwillenn

Having both on tap would probably be hell to try and balance.

I'm trying to understand how that's a serious balance challenge. The major balancing is done around the creations of the triggers (with all else in mind). They still have to know/test what each trigger looks like at all situations of matchups, regardless of whether its selection needs to be made before match or not. Being able to choose during match instead of before just means you have more choices in the heat of battle (and possibly, depending on if they actually display "Trigger I or Trigger II", that your opponent doesn't know which ball you'll pitch). I could see if we were talking about having BOTH triggers active at the same time or perhaps even some kind of Trigger-Trigger Cancel that let's you use a bit of the meter for one then the other for a unique combo extension or mixup. That's different.

I was disappointed to learn that it has to be selected before the match begins. Really thought that would have been interesting.

But you will have a massive amount of fm easilly available with this package.
Its like, you can basically think they are giving you season 1 and 2 cast plus a blank check for all those costumes or the season 3 characters with this.

Yeah, people really underestimate how much FM that DLC characters provide you.

Individual story, demonstrations, trials, and survival per character give you mad money.

I'm trying to understand how that's a serious balance challenge. The major balancing is done around the creations of the triggers (with all else in mind). They still have to know/test what each trigger looks like at all situations of matchups, regardless of whether its selection needs to be made before match or not. Being able to choose during match instead of before just means you have more choices in the heat of battle (and possibly, depending on if they actually display "Trigger I or Trigger II", that your opponent doesn't know which ball you'll pitch). I could see if we were talking about having BOTH triggers active at the same time or perhaps even some kind of Trigger-Trigger Cancel that let's you use a bit of the meter for one then the other for a unique combo extension or mixup. That's different.

I was disappointed to learn that it has to be selected before the match begins. Really thought that would have been interesting.

I thought about the points you brought up as well, but think it would go beyond just having balance for either if you could use both in a single round ( possible with two bar ones).

Allforce

Deluxe Edition is 39.99 now on PSN during the Flash Sale.

All Season 1 and Season 2 characters. Same thing as you'll get in January with the Arcade Edition SKU only you can start digging into earning FM now for those Season 3 characters coming soon.

Pompadour

All Season 1 and Season 2 characters. Same thing as you'll get in January with the Arcade Edition SKU only you can start digging into earning FM now for those Season 3 characters coming soon.

Yeah, there will be nothing added to AE that you won't have in the Deluxe version.

Just to be clear - is the value proposition exactly the same? I would love to buy it now but I'm not particularly in a rush and if I can wait until next year to get even just a bit more I would.

Just to be clear - is the value proposition exactly the same? I would love to buy it now but I'm not particularly in a rush and if I can wait until next year to get even just a bit more I would.

It is LITERALLY the same as buying the AE. You get the exact same stuff.

It's actually better if you buy it now because you can get more FM through weekly missions and stuff if you're willing to put time into the game.

//DEVIL//

So let me get this. The game with both season pass for 40$. How much would you spend if u to buy the game and season pass today ? If it's more than 40$, then why they are killing their sales from now till this thing is released ?

Allforce

It will be exactly the same, you'll get a title update to the "Arcade Edition" version when it comes out.

You actually probably get MORE with this since there's a number of exclusive themes for your dashboard that come with the Deluxe Edition....

It is LITERALLY the same as buying the AE. You get the exact same stuff.

It's actually better if you buy it now because you can get more FM through weekly missions and stuff if you're willing to put time into the game.
Oh that's awesome, I'll pick it up then. Can't wait to suck at Street fighter haha

Pompadour

So let me get this. The game with both season pass for 40$. How much would you spend if u to buy the game and season pass today ? If it's more than 40$, then why they are killing their sales from now till this thing is released ?

SFV Deluxe = SF AE. SFV Deluxe is $40 right now and AE will always be $40. If one is going to buy AE around launch it would be smarter to buy SFV Deluxe now (unless you want a physical box or something).

I don't think they care because people don't really know the difference. Anyone who owns SFV is entitled to the AE stuff so the AE release is more to get new reviews and sell off unsold physical SFV discs. It's mostly rebranding.

HardRojo

Because new games sales right now are probably so low they're better off waiting for the revision to sell a lot more copies. Plus they still have some deals here and there and people might jump at those.

Neoxon

If you buy the Deluxe Edition on PS4 now while it’s $40, it’s basically like getting Arcade Edition before the AE update gets released in January. As others have said, the main benefit of jumping in early is that you can start earning Fight Money earlier than those who just wait for the physical release of AE.

Allforce

MSRP? 59.99 for SFV, 29.99 for each Season Pass. So 120 dollars total.

But this has been going on sale for 39.99 regularly since last spring (I bought it when Kolin came out for 39.99, she was the 2nd character released).

Top Bottom