• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Beta 2 Thread: Welcome, future 21007s! Now on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tik-Tok

Understood, I would want it so that next beta I don't try to do an impossible link for like an hour

Thanks

Theres no link in this game that you should try to do for an hour. With the buffer system on links you try it a few times and if it isn't working you can be pretty sure it doesn't work.

Skilletor

right on. it's funny to me that SRK is like full to the brim with people who can't wrap their heads around the idea that what's going on isn't really 'nerfing.' these beta/show builds are practically meaningless in terms of fine balance.

It's not just srk. Look at people posting here and even in our own fgc community thread.

ElFly

On that note, did they fix the hitboxes on some moves (i.e. Ryu's cr. forward) so it more closely matches the visual point of contact? That threw me off in the last beta. Some pokes had deceptively less range than one would've thought.

Ryu's C MK is not _that_ bad.

part of the problem is that in practice mode, the standing opponent also has a wonky hitbox, it is particularly noticeable with Chun and with Ryu himself once he changes stances from being idle. Chun front leg just cannot be touched with nothing. It is not there.

if you make the opponent crouch and block,you will see C MK ain't that bad. It still doesn't match with the visuals tho.

Wish it was fixed, but there are worse cases imho, notably Necalli.

HiResDes

I got that newborn thing going on, too. Sleeps on me every night. :)

This is completely wrong. Fans weren't outraged about Wright at all. They were still debating whether he was even useful. ChrisG used him on a joke team even pre-nerf just to clown on people.

Sentinel was a scrub nerf due to Capcom scrubs. Seth Killian said as much. There was an internal debate about whether Sentinel is OP, because he bopped a lot of Capcom employees. Seth tried to keep him from getting nerfed, but to no avail.

If Capcom listened to fans, TACs would have been completely revamped. Zero wouldn't have gotten buffs. Tron and She-Hulk wouldn't have gotten nerfed.

Here are things Capcom HAS listened to fans about:
SFIV oki being too good, leading to delayed wakeup.
FADC out of DP being too good, leading to a frame data nerf.
Option selects lowering skill level; many are gone in SFV.
Back dashes being too good.
Ultras being too good for comebacks.
The vortex being bad for play.

This is all fan feedback that has led to an improved game. If you listen to every voice, it sounds like madness, but if you listen to what is being yelled from the rooftops, it is generally good feedback. Players might not know how to make a great game, but they know when they aren't having fun.

I'm not going to lie Tron got nerfed so hard and was my favorite character that I lost my will to train. Oh and Thor being slow as fuck. I think other Wolverine Tron was the easiest character to play and I could hit all of those Clakey D combos at will without dropping, which is more than I can say for any other character. She was probably the only character I could play at a high level and they made her pretty much worthless.

Zerojul

Wow, we've got a real Street Fighter baby creche going on it seems! Congrats guys! I don't know about you both, but it really is putting a damper on my Gaf/Youtube/gaming time these first few weeks at least, even more than I was prepared for, but the cuddles and tiny toes do make up for that.

Speaking of baby's and SF: I did at one point seriously consider naming my child Cody, but then it turned out to be a girl...(and no, I didn't go for Cammy, Chun-li, Rose or any of the Japanese SF ladies instead).

Thanks, congrats to you and Karsticles too. When I was younger I considered naming my child Cammy, which is strange because I'm really not that much of a fan of the character. Good thing for her we had her when I was older and wiser because that's a rather silly name for a French little girl.

On topic : really not pleased with what I read about Claw, he was really fun in the Beta and I liked switching on-the-fly between the two stances in a fight. He felt very strong in the beta though (in my scrubby opinion), so I guess some adjustments were in order. Hope he remains fun in the final build.

Give me yoga tower and non archy fireballs Capcom! Let me play how I want to play.

I want to play him WITH archy fireballs and the moveset he currently has in SF5. Let ME play the way I want to play, Capcom!

See, I can do that, too.

The difference being YOU can still go back and play SF4, if you want to play your Dhalsim. The people who want to play new Dhalsim only have SF5.

Gren

Ryu's C MK is not _that_ bad.

part of the problem is that in practice mode, the standing opponent also has a wonky hitbox, it is particularly noticeable with Chun and with Ryu himself once he changes stances from being idle. Chun front leg just cannot be touched with nothing. It is not there.

if you make the opponent crouch and block,you will see C MK ain't that bad. It still doesn't match with the visuals tho.

Wish it was fixed, but there are worse cases imho, notably Necalli.

Ah ok.

Well, I hope they adjust the hit/hurtbox fields all around then.

MagnesD3

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185191067]Canceling into stance change was already unsafe. Any whining about changes before the game is out is of complete disinterest to me because half of it is misinformation(people claiming x move is safe/unsafe and being totally wrong, etc), some changes are in relation to variables we don't even know about yet(how the last character affects the balance of the game, potential new mechanics etc) or mechanical reasons/glitches(I played an sf4 beta where certain changes broke Ryu's ability to dash out of a focus attack, for instance), and some changes are related to overall game philosophy and bringing the whole cast in line(lower damage across the board as capcom finds out characters' true damage potential and the number of hits to translate to wins vs round time). I'm not gonna worry about it until we at least have the full picture of what the game looks like.

I mean, in terms of Vega, we had people in the last beta thread who said he was terrible, and people who
correctly
thought he was the best character in the beta. It's just not worth fussing over right now.

Also, UMVC3 is a poor example because that game was pushed out the door on an accelerated time table for reasons outside of game development.[/QUOTE]
Bruh Stance canceling fierce on block led to a counter hit/command grab conditioning setup and it was amazing. Also vega was perfect in the beta he wasnt too good by no means but just right, he and R Mika were perfect. I hope they remove clawless form if it doesnt gain some use back.

Bruh Stance canceling fierce on block led to a counter hit/command grab conditioning setup and it was amazing.
Vega's FP xx stance cancel was -6 on block in the beta. In fact the cancel only gets you one frame, FP is -7. Whereas going the other way the cancel is actually a net loss in advantage, going from -3 to -4 with claw-off FP.

The reason the "conditioning" set up works is because like you said, conditioning. You do the target combo enough times that they don't react fast enough to your cancel when you go for it. It's not safe.

Bruh.

MagnesD3

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185207000]Vega's FP xx stance cancel was -6 on block in the beta. In fact the cancel only gets you one frame, FP is -7. Whereas going the other way the cancel is actually a net loss in advantage, going from -3 to -4 with claw-off FP.

The reason the "conditioning" set up works is because like you said, conditioning. You do the target combo enough times that they don't react fast enough to your cancel when you go for it. It's not safe.

Bruh.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have worded it better then I suppose, at the correct distance it would be hard to punish. Regardless that setup was made useless and that setup made clawless alot more interesting.

I guess I should have worded it better then I suppose, at the correct distance it would be hard to punish. Regardless that setup was made useless and that setup made clawless alot more interesting.

I don't think that at a distance where punishes are difficult Vega's command grab is especially relevant anyway.

MagnesD3

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185208767]I don't think that at a distance where punishes are difficult Vega's command grab is especially relevant anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well its more the conditioning them into being scared part making them afraid of counterhits which would allow you to in turn go for command grab, which IMO makes it relevant.

The whole idea of conditioning foes with a character like vega is super interesting to me. (I play hugo in sf4 and will probably play mika i v till urien.)

But why would you be afraid of counterhits if it's -6 on block

You're also gonna need one hell of a range to make something that is -6 safe, otherwise you're eating low forwards. Claw ain't no Super Fei.

The spin -> command grab on block setup was a gimmick that was never going to work in serious play after about a week anyway, 23 frames is way too long to expect a real player not to notice what's going on. Everything seems good because everyone sucks and nobody knows the frame data right now.

MagnesD3

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185210600]The spin -> command grab on block setup was a gimmick that was never going to work in serious play after about a week anyway. Everything seems good because everyone sucks and nobody knows the frame data right now.[/QUOTE]

:( Probably true.

kirblar

Tons of combo's are gone that were exclusive to clawless form, his good anit air in clawless form is gone, also canceling a normal on block into stance change is unsafe. Basically they deleted clawless mode from having purpose. Oh yeah and they nerfed his CC if I recall.
Oh wow. The bolded was absolutely necessary, but didn't know about the rest. That's crazy, I really liked how it played in terms of two playstyles, it was just that confirming off claw into non-claw stuff was almost certainly too good.

denshuu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185191067]Canceling into stance change was already unsafe.[/QUOTE]

No it wasn't. That was one of the reasons why Vega was so powerful.

This is what happens when you do a reversal MP DP immediately after Vega's claw switch cancel from s.HP.

ZOTzglr.jpg

Raitaro

So your baby's name is Elena?

No, not Elena, though I did miss mentioning that one indeed ;-). And no, no Laura either. Karin happens to be a quite common Dutch name though (just like Laura btw), so we could have gone with that one I guess except for us wanting to avoid names with the letter "a" in them (for name + surname tongue tying reasons). We went with a more neutral name in other words that, coincedentally, is still used in some (recent) games.

Thanks, congrats to you and Karsticles too. When I was younger I considered naming my child Cammy, which is strange because I'm really not that much of a fan of the character. Good thing for her we had her when I was older and wiser because that's a rather silly name for a French little girl.

Merci! No, probably not indeed, regarding Cammy. I do wonder what your stance is on Remy or Abel though, if your child would have been a boy I mean.

Fake edit: I'll stop going off-topic with this name talk after this post people; I promise!

GorillaJu

I don't think there's really a need to list changes when the game isn't out. There are changes at every public build and probably tons more in-between with internal testing.

But it'll provide great fodder for intelligent debate.

Yo real talk tho FUCK this game man Ken is too OP and Nash SUCKS. Remember that stage demo at E3 2014 where you saw Nash combo cr LK into st HK qcb HK? That was the best most balanced this game has ever been Capcom don't know SHIT always ruining the best version cuz everyone cried Charlie is OP

DunpealD

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185256719]That's strange, it should be -6 according to the frame data.[/QUOTE]

According to Gilleys framedata st.HP startup 8, total animation 30, block advantage 0 and claw switch 23 it should be around 0 or -1. Iirc people were saying it is 0.

I want to play him WITH archy fireballs and the moveset he currently has in SF5. Let ME play the way I want to play, Capcom!

See, I can do that, too.

The difference being YOU can still go back and play SF4, if you want to play your Dhalsim. The people who want to play new Dhalsim only have SF5.

How would you play him? I really do like his hoverskill but its just the arched fireball that gets me.

My issue with the Arch fireball is the utility. You are not controlling space but predicting by placement and arch of the fireball. The startup is brutal where dashing in and blocking is probably the best way to get in vs jumping.

Also removing Yoga tower is helpful how in your playstyle?
When your moveset is about spacing and almost all the specials are punishable on startup or block, its hard to understand changing a zoning tool to a read tool.

Nice excited for the next beta. Hopefully we'll be able to play all the characters except the final one?

Since PSX/Capcom Cup is this weekend on the December 5-6th, they'll most likely show Fan there and hopefully he'll be in the final beta along with Gief and Sim.....hopefully.

Also for those who want to pickup a cheap arcade stick, Amazon has the HORI Fighting Stick Mini 4 for pre-order for $39.99 which comes out on the 14th this month, just before the last beta. I don't know about the quality of HORI's Mini series so take it as you will since it's just a cheap and smaller alternative for those who can't afford a regular sized stick yet. Already got it pre-ordered since I don't have a PS4 stick currently and am kinda low in funds this holiday to get a regular stick....hope it's good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KXMEW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Since PSX/Capcom Cup is this weekend on the December 5-6th, they'll most likely show Fan there and hopefully he'll be in the final beta along with Gief and Sim.....hopefully.

Also for those who want to pickup a cheap arcade stick, Amazon has the HORI Fighting Stick Mini 4 for pre-order for $39.99 which comes out on the 14th this month, just before the last beta. I don't know about the quality of HORI's Mini series so take it as you will since it's just a cheap and smaller alternative for those who can't afford a regular sized stick yet. Already got it pre-ordered since I don't have a PS4 stick currently and am kinda low in funds this holiday to get a regular stick....hope it's good.

Price is good but I think my bear claws might be an issue.

Vice

How would you play him? I really do like his hoverskill but its just the arched fireball that gets me.

My issue with the Arch fireball is the utility. You are not controlling space but predicting by placement and arch of the fireball. The startup is brutal where dashing in and blocking is probably the best way to get in vs jumping.

Also removing Yoga tower is helpful how in your playstyle?
When your moveset is about spacing and almost all the specials are punishable on startup or block, its hard to understand changing a zoning tool to a read tool.
It cuts off part of the screen making their actions easier to predict. It's high startup is no different than have high start up on a traditional fireball only instead of the opponent jump over it they walk under it. It's a good zoning tool in the way Juri and Gouken's fireballs are in 4, potentially.

I expect the BETA to have all the characters I played at Paris Gaming Week. I didnt play Dhalsim much because I was too busy trying out Karin and the new characters.

Coda

Nah, it's just that their Internet isn't all that great. It'd be an even less optimal experience than playing it at my home.

True, but I'm currently living with my parents and the Internet here isn't anything special and I had a fairly good experience with the 2nd beta phase running over Wi-Fi.

DD-11

Any word on how easy it is to customize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom