• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street FIghter V or fighters in general needs to be f2p, Here is why.....

Endo Punk

This is a terrible post.

1. SFV is absolutely lacking in content for $60 game.
2. MK9-10 on the other hand are full of content.
3. Souls game are quite feature and content full however they actually offer the least probably to experts as they can beat he game fairly quickly. He game is also absolutely upfront about gameplay modes, difficulty and functionality.

The problem these casual fans are having is that they don't wanna play against people because they take losses far too seriously. Imagine taking the difficulty in Souls too seriously and people crying that there is nothing for them without piss easy mode. SFV will have long legs and that's the model SFV is going for. The people who are pleased with its initial lacklustre sales are just petty and don't want to invest time to play the game.

I love MK but its not a 1:1 comparison with SF. They priorities different things, at least SF lets you earn characters for free and online play isn't region locked. I'm not even going to compare gameplay because it's apples to oranges but I've always preferred how SF plays.

You can create a F2P SF5, but I still want full retail fighting games with an option for a F2P fighters like DOA5 handled it. You want the full experience, buy the $60 game. If not, get the F2P version with obviously less content to play and experience it. I think DOA5 did it perfectly. Not necessarily defending SF5 lack of content, but so many games this generation are seemingly lacking in content and modes for $60, so unfortunately this is a trend. If SF5 should be F2P, so should a lot of multiplayer only games that lack modes imo. Difference is though, fighting games are sadly seemingly becoming niche again with very few exceptions while shooters are still popular.

Shadoken

I think F2P SFV would have made a lot less money than retail SFV had it just launched with some proper content.

Many people who wouldn't mind dropping $60 are now only going to spend a few bucks getting Ryu and Ken. F2P is great for mainstream genres where a large audience spending $3-4 average can generate more revenue than a small audience spending $60.

I think down the line a Core SFV will release probably with a Zenny only option. I doubt Capcom will release an F2P game with all its content earnable for free.

Endo Punk

I never want to see Super/Hyper SFV that splinters the community but Capcom would be wise to bring out a disc after every season of characters and content.

Synth

The problem these casual fans are having is that they don't wanna play against people because they take losses far too seriously. Imagine taking the difficulty in Souls too seriously and people crying that there is nothing for them without piss easy mode. SFV will have long legs and that's the model SFV is going for. The people who are pleased with its initial lacklustre sales are just petty and don't want to invest time to play the game.

I love MK but its not a 1:1 comparison with SF. They priorities different things, at least SF lets you earn characters for free and online play isn't region locked. I'm not even going to compare gameplay because it's apples to oranges but I've always preferred how SF plays.

How can you talk about MK not being a 1:1 comparison, whilst attempting to draw parallels with Dark Souls of all things?

There's no similarity at all to Dark Souls. Firstly, yes... Dark Souls does offer basically nothing to anyone that's not its core audience. It knows this though, and doesn't expect any more than that. Street Fighter V is a different case... it's not as simple as it only catering to those with an interest in fighting games. It's now only catering to a small sub-segment within those that are basically the real life embodiments of Ryu, where the fight is all, and self-improvement is the only motivation that matters. People play Dark Souls not to get beat the shit out of... they play it in order to beat the game, and feel the satisfaction that comes from doing so, much like lesser fighter game players often do when facing the AI and finally getting past Vega or Bison in SF2, Gill in SF3, Seth in SF4, Goenitz (that muthafucka) in KOF96, etc.

In order for someone online to win in Street Fighter, it is REQUIRED that someone else loses. This isn't true in Dark Souls, because the AI is happy to lose for us, so that once any individual person obtains a certain level of ability, they are essentially guaranteed success. In Street Fighter (and any other competitive game), there is no fixed level of "good enough". If every person that ever played it took the advice of posters that said "practice and get good"... then pretty much the exact same pool of people would be losing just as frequently, because the bar would simply raise for everyone. To tie this back to the Souls games, it would be more like if progressing through the game hinged entirely on repeatedly defeating other players rather than AI enemies. In this scenario, most of the playerbase that doesn't sit at the top of the skill tree would become frustrated, and likely drop it because losing constantly sucks, especially if you're losing after 100 hours, because your opponent has been playing for 15 years.

The Dark Souls scenario is far closer to playing Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat vs the AI than it is playing against a constantly improving pool of dedicated players online.

How can you talk about MK not being a 1:1 comparison, whilst attempting to draw parallels with Dark Souls of all things?

lol

There are tons of franchises that were extremely popular that effectively don't exist anymore. Street Fighter was literally one of them until it was brought back with a single game. It's not like SF was this juggernaut franchise that only sold poorly starting with SFV. 10 years ago Street Fighter was dead so it baffles me that people assume that the series has to be popular just because the last game did well.

10 years ago tekken was the genre leader. Now they have Akuma in their game as a guest character as a main selling point.

This isn't 10 years ago.

Painting SF as some niche franchise when Sony reaching out for exclusivity suggests all but that. I'm baffled that someone rather SF be dead than admit that SFV was an incomplete game.

10 years ago tekken was the genre leader. Now they have Akuma in their game as a guest character as a main selling point.

Tekken 7 did an excellent job in Arcade profits for Namco without Gouki/Akuma around.

The reason he's in the upcoming "Tekken 7: Fated Retribution" upgrade is because of the future game being "Tekken x Street Fighter."

Synth

Tekken 7 did an excellent job in Arcade profits for Namco without Gouki/Akuma around.

The reason he's in the upcoming "Tekken 7: Fated Retribution" upgrade is because of the future game being "Tekken x Street Fighter."

And Tekken X Street Fighter (or previously Street X Tekken, before they fucked that one up) makes sense and is a big deal, because both are titans of their respective subgenre. Can you imagine an annoucement of Street Fighter X Dead or Alive? Everyone would be like "da fuck?", because Dead or Alive has no business crossing over with Street Fighter... what does Street Fighter get from that? It'd be having a Batman v Jessica Jones movie.

Pompadour

This isn't 10 years ago.

Painting SF as some niche franchise when Sony reaching out for exclusivity suggests all but that. I'm baffled that someone rather SF be dead than admit that SFV was an incomplete game.

Where did I once say SFV wasn't an incomplete game? That has never been my argument nor do I want Street Fighter dead. I think the reason I joined GAF was specifically to find out info on Street Fighter 4.

And yes, this isn't 10 years ago but people keep referring to Street Fighter like it should be the dominating franchise from 20 years ago. There's precedent for people not wanting to play Street Fighter. The last big SF game prior to V was SFxT and people didn't want to play that either.

I think what hurt SFV is that it didn't go away long enough. All the updates and the crossover kept Street Fighter fresh in Casual minds so that when they see V they don't seem a dramatic enough difference from what Capcom was selling a year ago. If you look in the SFV reveal thread (the reveal with gameplay) people thought the game looked like an updated SF4. They didn't see enough change to justify the existence of a new so soon after the last update.

Where did I once say SFV wasn't an incomplete game? That has never been my argument nor do I want Street Fighter dead. I think the reason I joined GAF was specifically to find out info on Street Fighter 4.

I think what hurt SFV is that it didn't go away long enough. All the updates and the crossover kept Street Fighter fresh in Casual minds so that when they see V they don't seem a dramatic enough difference from what Capcom was selling a year ago. If you look in the SFV reveal thread (the reveal with gameplay) people thought the game looked like an updated SF4. They didn't see enough change to justify the existence of a new so soon after the last update.

now the gaming forums are relevant to the discussion again? I thought they were just echo chambers.

you do make it a point to talk down the actual criticisms
"a traditionally multiplayer genre that has shoehorned in single player content."
"Street Fighter V sold poorly because of the huge backlash on gaming forums."

And yes, this isn't 10 years ago but people keep referring to Street Fighter like it should be the dominating franchise from 20 years ago. There's precedent for people not wanting to play Street Fighter. The last big SF game prior to V was SFxT and people didn't want to play that either.

Now we're going to 4 years ago because 10 didn't work. SFxT did better than this game. And that was during a climate where 3 other fighting games (2 of which were also Capcom) were released in the same quarter.

wait it was only 2. UMvC3 came out in late 2011, but still relevant in the case of cannibalizing sales.

Platy

I'm starting to think Exclusivity is what's hurting sales of these games unless you are guaranteed to sell gangbusters (uncharted 4....of course it hasn't yet, but we all know it will) or a independent developer that doesn't need to sell gangbusters.

Except that even Smash Bros 4 WiiU sold more than SF5 =P

Pompadour

Now we're going to 4 years ago because 10 didn't work. SFxT did better than this game. And that was during a climate where 3 other fighting games (2 of which were also Capcom) were released in the same quarter.

wait it was only 2. UMvC3 came out in late 2011, but still relevant in the case of cannibalizing sales.

I'm giving multiple examples of when Street Fighter didn't do well. 10 years ago, 4 years ago, and now. This isn't unheard of and they all apply to my argument. It doesn't matter if you choose to ignore that as well.

A quick Google search shows that in a 2 month period SFxT shipped 1.4 million units, meaning it didn't do considerably better than SFV did in the current 2 month period of sales. This is also a game that was on 360, PS3, and PC which had a much larger install base than SFV has with PS4-PC.

And I guess that other game you're referring to is Soul Calibur V? A game released in January that also underperformed. UMvC3 didn't do crazy sales either. I doubt either is what caused SFxT to underperform.

If you don't invest so much into the numbers game and just enjoy playing SFV has incredible layers that you will be discovering for weeks and months. Just play online, casual rather and just train with a character. I'm a casual fighting fan, haven't bought a fighter since MK11 and I say casual gamers need to stop whining about losses and simply play the game. Jeez can you imagine fans whining about Souls game and claiming the game has nothing for you if you're not a core fan.

I've already put 7 hours into SF and that's just playing majority with Bison and Rashid.

This guy gets it. Losing is a big part of playing a fighter whether you're casual or not.

Fighting games are my favorite genre and I buy & play just about everything. If the f2p model becomes the standard I'd invest in only one fighter in any given year. So let's say SFV was f2p this year with microtrans and the like, KoFXIV & Guilty Gear wouldn't get a dime from me. But I'm sure the casual market would more than make up for the lost revenue when the actual fan base abandons the genre because of f2p ridiculousness.

Zafir

This guy gets it. Losing is a big part of playing a fighter whether you're casual or not.

Fighting games are my favorite genre and I buy & play just about everything. If the f2p model becomes the standard I'd invest in only one fighter in any given year. So let's say SFV was f2p this year with microtrans and the like, KoFXIV & Guilty Gear wouldn't get a dime from me. But I'm sure the casual market would more than make up for the lost revenue when the actual fan base abandons the genre because of f2p ridiculousness.

That sounds like you've never played Killer Instinct though?

That model is nothing like most F2P models, you can get all characters for the price of Street Fighter V....

F2P isn't inherently bad, it's some implementations which are bad.

are you a casual or are you part of the actual fanbase? your words

I'm giving multiple examples of when Street Fighter didn't do well. 10 years ago, 4 years ago, and now. This isn't unheard of and they all apply to my argument. It doesn't matter if you choose to ignore that as well.

They're all asspulls. "I'm giving multiple examples of when Street Fighter didn't do well. " It's more like you're reaching because your vague definition of "well" isn't even consistent. Street Fighter prior and post SFIV obviously wasn't the same, regardless of what apparent dropoff you think there was.

More of a stretch than the SFV didnt do well because it was an incomplete game conclusion.

A simple, linear conclusion. Compared to all these holed arguments you're making.

Of course SFV wasn't going to do well. Remember SF1? SF2 was an exception btw.

A quick Google search shows that in a 2 month period SFxT shipped 1.4 million units, meaning it didn't do considerably better than SFV did in the current 2 month period of sales. This is also a game that was on 360, PS3, and PC which had a much larger install base than SFV has with PS4-PC.

And I guess that other game you're referring to is Soul Calibur V? A game released in January that also underperformed. UMvC3 didn't do crazy sales either. I doubt either is what caused SFxT to underperform.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200375630&postcount=404

Top Bottom