• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street FIghter V or fighters in general needs to be f2p, Here is why.....

Stating that there needs to be a fee each time you play online is some of the dumbest shit I've seen come outta these SFV hate orgies. And why should SFV and other fighters go f2p when a good portion of the FGC are satisfied and willing to pay for the bevy of fighters on the market? I played thousands of hours of SFIV online through it's various iterations up until I downloaded SFV, and I probably spent all but 2 hours in arcade mode. Maybe just maybe SFV was aimed at guys like me? Not every game is gonna be for everyone.

By the way, there's no way for me to prove it but the Mortal Kombat series sells way better than most fighters due to it's brand name and not because your average consumer (10mil+ units) is checking off feature bullet points on game sites. MK would sell well being just as feature lite as SFV because it's MK.

Has MK come this far? I remember last gen MK couldn't sell more than 2.5 million units. How does MKX sell 6 million units? After MK9 the FGC and the casual market knew damn well MKX was going to deliver. It did in all the ways a fighter could deliver, and did so in spades. That's how you improve your brand. SFV looks last gen. It's very light on content, then got raked over the coals by reviews and word of mouth. This is not how you build the brand. Now the genre's most respected fighter is contemplating F2P? LOL. This thread is so damn funny. Let's shit on the casuals they said... it'll be fun they said...

Eidan

Has MK come this far? I remember last gen MK couldn't sell more than 2.5 million units. How does MKX sell 6 million units? After MK9 the FGC and the casual market knew damn well MKX was going to deliver. It did in all the ways a fighter could deliver, and did so in spades. That's how you improve your brand. SFV looks last gen. It's very light on content, then got raked over the coals by reviews and word of mouth. This is not how you build the brand. Now the genre's most respected fighter is contemplating F2P? LOL. This thread is so damn funny. Let's shit on the casuals they said... it'll be fun they said...

This is a frequent point of frustration for me. This idea that MK is vastly outselling SF because "duh it's MK". MK is selling well because they're quality titles that provide content for both multiplayer and single player tastes. SF could be enjoying the same level of success, but instead is only regressing.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am saying that the game being built on UE4 to begin with was unnecessary. Does UE4 add anything to the game? It was a huge misstep to shut out 100 million+ consoles,that is all I am saying.

I am saying that the game being built on UE4 to begin with was unnecessary. Does UE4 add anything to the game? It was a huge misstep to shut out 100 million+ consoles,that is all I am saying.

I don't think that would've made a huge difference. We're now two & a half years into this generation, & most PS3/360 sales of cross-gen games & multiplatform titles that had came out this far had fallen off of a cliff compared to the sales on Xbox One & especially PS4.

And Xbox One isn't exactly hugely popular like Xbox 360 was, especially not outside of the U.S. & the UK.

The point I'm trying to make here is that just like fighting game fans on one forum's OT about the game don't represent the majority of the audience, people on gaming forums in general don't represent the majority of the audience.A bunch of people complaining here on GAF about specific issues with the game doesn't automatically translate to a meaningful impact on the game's success. It just feels that way to you if you're in an echo chamber.

What you're doing is denying the existence of word of mouth, and that the ability to recognize an incomplete product is universal. You frame it as an iisolated Neogaf incident simply because it doesn't follow your own biases and you label it "logic".

StereoVsn

Here is the thing about those 160 million consoles (if talking about Xbox360/PS3). People stopped buying software for them. Unless you are COD / Madden, you can't sell jack shit on the older platforms. It's dead, Jim. Yes, there are some niche games that still can sell between 10k and 50k like some of Japanese RPGs, but that's about it.

So, SFV did the right thing by going to UE4 and Xbone/PS4. The problem was in the content or lack thereof.

What you're doing is denying the existence of word of mouth, and that the ability to recognize an incomplete product as universal. You frame it as an iisolated Neogaf incident simply because it doesn't follow your own biases and you label it "logic".

Yeah, that logic would have worked if SFV sold like crazy with millions of sales. Instead we got maybe 500K if we are being generous? 50K Japan, 150K Steam (worldwide), pretty much nothing in Europe and what 200K US? Plus ROW maybe another 100K or maybe even 150K? Yeah, the game tanked considering its SF. Clearly its not just people on Neogaf/Gaming forums didn't thing it was worth the asking price ($10 Amazon worked for me).

Niitris

Street Fighter V doesn't need to be F2P. It needs to be a better package for what it's priced as.

SFV underperformed because they oversaturated the brand too hard. I mean, USF4 came out under 2 years ago with over 40 characters. SFV and it's 16 characters doesn't quite compare with that, especially with its lack of content.

MKX in comparison was released 4 years after MK9, with a roster of about the same size and equal content.

Pompadour

What you're doing is denying the existence of word of mouth, and that the ability to recognize an incomplete product is universal. You frame it as an iisolated Neogaf incident simply because it doesn't follow your own biases and you label it "logic".

My point was never that bad word of mouth didn't hurt SFV nor that these complaints were isolated to NeoGAF. I'm saying that if 2 million was the goal, SFV wasn't hitting 2 million even if there was no negative press. The lack of single player features probably had a tangible effect on the sales, sure, but I don't believe it's the reason why SFV "failed".

As for the logic thing, I explained my line of thinking as best I could. I'm mostly against the post hoc fallacy that because event B (SFV's bad sales) followed event A (SFV's bad word-of-mouth) that event A caused event B.

Street Fighter V doesn't need to be F2P. It needs to be a better package for what it's priced as.

SFV underperformed because they oversaturated the brand too hard. I mean, USF4 came out under 2 years ago with over 40 characters. SFV and it's 16 characters doesn't quite compare with that, especially with its lack of content.

MKX in comparison was released 4 years after MK9, with a roster of about the same size and equal content.

I agree. Heck, KOF XIV is coming out with 50 characters (48 characters from 16 teams). And they'll all be playable day one. Plus who knows what single player content that SNK will come out with for it. They're taking the project seriously, with hiring most of the old SNK fighting game staff from the 90's to work on it among other things.

What Capcom is doing is trying to string people along by forcing them to either play for tons of hours or fork over money just to even unlock more characters & costumes (& to wait months for more characters being released on top). That just sounds very desperate, & it isn't exactly working for them.

It's like Capcom had forgotten how to make fighters this gen.

Amedo310

Thing is, is that the SNK of today isn't the same SNK from back then.

Also, KOF was always bigger in other countries/regions such as Mexico, South America, Japan, & China more so than in the U.S. That's why it is so important to have great netcode (as well as being cross platform with the PC version when KOF XIV is released on Steam as well), in which we can easily play against everyone that's not in the U.S.

KOF's popularity in Latin America does equal financial success or gain for Post 02 SNK.

Skux

I agree. We're in an era of free-to-play competitive-only games and it feels like fighting games have yet to get on board.

I would try SFV but I know I'd be getting my ass kicked for the first hundred games, and paying $60 for the experience would be discouraging. Being able to practice for free and then pay for my favourite characters and cosmetics would be much easier to stomach.

And think of the player bases these games could have by going f2p.

MK9 sold close to four million units, and since when did Capcom say they were contemplating f2p? Like I said, I have no proof of my claim that MK's brand name alone sold the game, but there's also no way to accurately dispute my claim either. MKX had tv ads, a Conan "let's play", and many ads prominently plastered across many major hip-hop sites. Name brand & advertising played a much bigger role in that game's success if you ask me.

Now as for SFV looking last-gen, I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I think MKX & SFV look equally great in their own ways, and yes I play both daily.

Synth

Why are we acting like SF is some maligned niche title that has no realistic chance of being successful?

Yea, this is what fucking stuns me... I mean I read comments like this one...

Street Fighter, in my opinion, has the level of popularity where they should be cutting their budget and focus on what Street Fighter is particularly good at.

.. and I think "seriously?..." this is STREET FIGHTER we're talking about. It's level of popularity brought the subgenre back to prominence fucking singlehandedly last gen. If Mortal Kombat is selling "because it's Mortal Kombat", then Street Fighter should be selling "because it's Street Fighter" also. The reason why Mortal Kombat's brand has remained strong whilst Street Fighter is currently declining is due to various ways that Capcom have failed the wider audience that was previously buying it. This means not having enough singleplayer content for them to enjoy, and expecting them to simply go online and "git gud". This includes attempting to sell them the same game multiple times with slight upgrades over the course of the generation. This includes making the sequel unavailable to a sizeable portion of players that bought the previous game.

If Street Fighter now has the level of popularity where it can only rely on its more devoted fanbase, then its because Capcom made it that way, by focusing on that fanbase at the expense of the wider audience when they had that audience's attention. But Street Fighter certainly isn't some niche fighting game series ala Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, King of Fighters or whatever. It was the premiere fighter, that put the genre on the map worldwide, it sold millions last gen revitalising the genre that had remained mostly lowkey in its absence. It's not that it didn't have the sort of market that Mortal Kombat has... it simply lost it, and when you compare how each series (and their respective fans) has treated that market... it deserved to.

MK9 sold close to four million units

So did Street Fighter IV (original release alone).

My point was never that bad word of mouth didn't hurt SFV nor that these complaints were isolated to NeoGAF. I'm saying that if 2 million was the goal, SFV wasn't hitting 2 million even if there was no negative press. The lack of single player features probably had a tangible effect on the sales, sure, but I don't believe it's the reason why SFV "failed".

It's not the biggest stretch that I've read in this thread.

You put failed in quotes because you think Capcom torpedoing their franchise, by not making their game good in the conventional sense of the genre, is worth 5 dollar twitch subscriptions, which at best would net them a third of minimum wage for a single person.

Someone mentioned league of legends fighter and if that leads the way in becoming financially viable than others will follow suit. Will be interesting when someone does actually make the F2P fighter an option for developers.

KOF's popularity in Latin America does equal financial success or gain for Post 02 SNK.

I agree, plus he mentioned snk of "back then" when I specifically said 13, unless he was talking about 13? And history has shown that the fandom doesn't translate into sales, for a few reasons. Let's not forget PS4 is still over $1k in Brazil etc.

I agree, plus he mentioned snk of "back then" when I specifically said 13, unless he was talking about 13? And history has shown that the fandom doesn't translate into sales, for a few reasons. Let's not forget PS4 is still over $1k in Brazil etc.

I mean financial wise & staff wise before they were obtained by a Chinese company & before KOF XIV.

Plus there's also steam to rely on, & no doubt that SNK Playmore will release that game on there real soon.

Amedo310

I mean financial wise & staff wise before they were obtained by a Chinese company & before KOF XIV.

Plus there's also steam to rely on, & no doubt that SNK Playmore will release that game on there real soon.

SNK's target audience already have the games they want to play the most. Latin America and China don't have the tendencies of buying new versions of games unlike the US. Even the majority of the SNK fanbase in Japan just rely on good old neogeo games at the arcade over the console ones. KOF 97 is still being played on kaillera by the Chinese. Latin America has 98/02 which is easily attained on fightcade with already known great net code. What reason would these groups of people have to buy KOFXIV on day 1 over playing the games they have already?

SNK's target audience already have the games they want to play the most.

If so, then why keep making KOF games?

What reason would these groups of people have to buy KOFXIV on day 1 over playing the games they have already?

Graphics, 16 teams of playable characters (both old & new), same great gameplay as Original KOF '98 & 2002:UM, possibly lots of content, etc.?

Son Of D

Based on the sales of games like Shadow of Mordor, Battlefield: Hardline, CoD: Black Ops 3, MGSV and other cross gen games it would be a waste of time putting SFV on PS3/360. Only one that could make a difference is sales in Japan for PS3 but even then it's not worth it.

lupinko

Easier development, and both Tekken 7 and Revelator are on UE4 too.

Renekton

KOF13 supposedly was successful for its expectations, even if it didn't overtake the competitive scenes in parts of the world.
AFAIK it wasn't given its expensive per-character cost for 2D?

They'd rather do PS2-level 3D graphics than go back to that.

To cut development costs. Capcom budget is beyond shoestring for non-mobile, ask Nirolak

vulva

Just because something was a relative success doesn't mean the plan is to repeat that again. They stated that if KOF13 wasn't a success it'd be the last KOF game, so from that we can infer that they were either lying to try to get pity sales or that it was a success. Either way, KOF14 exists so that's something.

Also I think you don't remember what PS2 graphics look like.

SFV doesn't need to be F2P. It needs to ship with more content.

Chance to ship with more content is gone now. You only get one launch. Word of mouth is out and most of their casual market has moved on. Time to rethink of another way to attract them. F2P released with arcade mode is their only hope to gain some players back. And hoping these casuals will spend real money for unlocking more characters. Who knows maybe some of them will like the game more and buy all the characters. Out 6mil download DoA had i will be surprised if atleast 10% of them didn't buy the entire package. that's still 600k. If SFV had a f2p version out and SF is the biggest name in FG genre. On par with MK and Smash. If they get 10 mil to DL the f2p version and atleast 20% buy the game that's still 2 mil sales you are looking at. Plus buying things from the Shop I think they will have a healthy financial life back into the franchise again. Because as it is now the game sold terribly imo. And probably sealed the fate of Capcoms fighting game division.

Just because something was a relative success doesn't mean the plan is to repeat that again. They stated that if KOF13 wasn't a success it'd be the last KOF game, so from that we can infer that they were either lying to try to get pity sales or that it was a success. Either way, KOF14 exists so that's something.

One thing is for sure: The 3D models that SNK is working on with KOF XIV are here to stay for future KOF titles.

2D pixel art is too time consuming & expensive. If they weren't, then SNK Playmore wouldn't have ditched them as a whole after both KOF XII/XIII.

I downloaded it and bought nothing because I don't want parts of a game.

You have no idea how it's doing and the it must be doing well doesn't cut it

Eidan

Chance to ship with more content is gone now. You only get one launch. Word of mouth is out and most of their casual market has moved on. Time to rethink of another way to attract them. F2P released with arcade mode is their only hope to gain some players back. And hoping these casuals will spend real money for unlocking more characters. Who knows maybe some of them will like the game more and buy all the characters. Out 6mil download DoA had i will be surprised if atleast 10% of them didn't buy the entire package. that's still 600k. If SFV had a f2p version out and SF is the biggest name in FG genre. On par with MK and Smash. If they get 10 mil to DL the f2p version and atleast 20% buy the game that's still 2 mil sales you are looking at. Plus buying things from the Shop I think they will have a healthy financial life back into the franchise again. Because as it is now the game sold terribly imo. And probably sealed the fate of Capcoms fighting game division.

Being free doesn't address the core problem that I feel has ultimately led to people thinking Capcom needs to consider a F2P model: the game offers nothing for the individual who isn't interested in simply going online and getting bodied. With single player content remaining all but absent, I'd see the game getting downloads sure, but few outside of the core base who were already willing to buy the bare bones package at $60 actually sticking around, let alone paying money for more bells and whistles.

Being free doesn't address the core problem that I feel has ultimately led to people thinking Capcom needs to consider a F2P model: the game offers nothing for the individual who isn't interested in simply going online and getting bodied. With single player content remaining all but absent, I'd see the game getting downloads sure, but few outside of the core base who were already willing to buy the bare bones package at $60 actually sticking around, let alone paying money for more bells and whistles.

I know DOA5 has a story mode *cough*

is that included in its F2P version?

Tekken Revo doesn't have anything but versus.

Wow! Someone with Originality!

ts9jY4m.jpg

SFV received intense negative backlash. That's why it sold poorly. Why are we acting like SF is some maligned niche title that has no realistic chance of being successful?

Yeah I think you're right, but as a non fighting game fan who is daunted by the community and time investment, the full 60 price tag is a bit much.

Pompadour

It's not the biggest stretch that I've read in this thread.

You put failed in quotes because you think Capcom torpedoing their franchise, by not making their game good in the conventional sense of the genre, is worth 5 dollar twitch subscriptions, which at best would net them a third of minimum wage for a single person.

I put "failed" in quotes because I don't see any indication that it has failed yet. Unless Sony has them by the balls contractually, I figure if the game was a bomb they'd stop production on DLC, renege on their prize money, and cancel Capcom Cup.

this is STREET FIGHTER we're talking about. It's level of popularity brought the subgenre back to prominence fucking singlehandedly last gen. If Mortal Kombat is selling "because it's Mortal Kombat", then Street Fighter should be selling "because it's Street Fighter" also. The reason why Mortal Kombat's brand has remained strong whilst Street Fighter is currently declining is due to various ways that Capcom have failed the wider audience that was previously buying it. This means not having enough singleplayer content for them to enjoy, and expecting them to simply go online and "git gud". This includes attempting to sell them the same game multiple times with slight upgrades over the course of the generation. This includes making the sequel unavailable to a sizeable portion of players that bought the previous game.

There are tons of franchises that were extremely popular that effectively don't exist anymore. Street Fighter was literally one of them until it was brought back with a single game. It's not like SF was this juggernaut franchise that only sold poorly starting with SFV. 10 years ago Street Fighter was dead so it baffles me that people assume that the series has to be popular just because the last game did well.

As for the sequel thing, that's absurd. So are you suggesting people who bought SFIV on their 360 in 2009 should be able to buy SFV on their 360 in 2016?

Too early for SFV to be free.

Let’s see where the game is one year from launch first.

MK had it’s SF moment, it was a while since the last one, it was really good, it added some new things. if SFV released next year with all the stuff that will eventually be patched into, it might have had a big launch again too. For whatever reason, Capcom feels they can make a lot of sales over time adding features instead of releasing the big game full of content.

I know we are looking at it as a failure atm, but Capcom does need a few years to be proven wrong here.

Nah fuck that. Companies like Capcom will charge 10 bucks per character.

League of Legends releases champions as slightly overpowered to encourage sales then nerfs them to balance them later and I don't want those sorts of tactics put in Fighting Games.

Pompadour

Nah fuck that. Companies like Capcom will charge 10 bucks per character.

League of Legends releases champions as slightly overpowered to encourage sales then nerfs them to balance them later and I don't want those sorts of tactics put in Fighting Games.

DLC characters are $6 so they're stuck at that price point if they want to go F2P.

Synth

There are tons of franchises that were extremely popular that effectively don't exist anymore. Street Fighter was literally one of them until it was brought back with a single game. It's not like SF was this juggernaut franchise that only sold poorly starting with SFV. 10 years ago Street Fighter was dead so it baffles me that people assume that the series has to be popular just because the last game did well.

As for the sequel thing, that's absurd. So are you suggesting people who bought SFIV on their 360 in 2009 should be able to buy SFV on their 360 in 2016?

Yea there are tons of franchises that decline over time. But the drop-off that Street Fighter's currently seeing is hardly standard. It's the sort of drop-off you'd expect to see if another IP is introduced within that market segment, that completely eats your lunch (ala Call of Duty/Destiny to Halo), or the market for that type of game simply collapsing entirely. Neither is the case for Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat isn't new and hasn't just started poaching Street Fighter players between SFIV and SFV, and its own performance (along with more stable performances from less prominent fighters) implies that it's not the market evaporating either. Street Fighter's failing to sell, because it's failing to provide sufficiently to its previous customer base. People that bought Street Fighter IV (and hell, going by the sales, even people that bought Super Street Fighter IV afterwards) are not buying Street Fighter V. That's not a problem of Street Fighter's reach, that's a failing to maintain your audience.

And you're right.. it's not the first time this has happened to Street Fighter (whilst Mortal Kombat managed to weather the storm). However, the last time it happened, it was for much of the same reasons (a million versions of Street Fighter 2, not a lot for a solo player to do, doubling down on the competitive playerbase, Dreamcast exclusive SF3, etc). It's actually quite amazing that once they had their audience back, they proceeded to follow the pattern that torpedoed the IP the first time around. Except worse.

And I wasn't talking about it appearing on the 360. I meant the Xbox One, where plenty of people I know that were into SFIV simply don't have SFV as an option without buying an additional console or PC. It's hardly the biggest factor, but it adds up when everything else is considered. People act like it's nothing... but it's hardly as though MKX sold next to nothing on XB1.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Just follow the TF2/Dota 2 model. Free game with all heroes unlock. Then charge people to dress up their barbie dolls as they see fit. You don't even have to allow the community to make sets for the characters.

I agree with you, fighting games could be F2P if done correctly.

Yea there are tons of franchises that decline over time. But the drop-off that Street Fighter's currently seeing is hardly standard. It's the sort of drop-off you'd expect to see if another IP is introduced within that market segment, that completely eats your lunch (ala Call of Duty/Destiny to Halo), or the market for that type of game simply collapsing entirely. Neither is the case for Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat isn't new and hasn't just started poaching Street Fighter players between SFIV and SFV, and its own performance (along with more stable performances from less prominent fighters) implies that it's not the market evaporating either. Street Fighter's failing to sell, because it's failing to provide sufficiently to its previous customer base. People that bought Street Fighter IV (and hell, going by the sales, even people that bought Super Street Fighter IV afterwards) are not buying Street Fighter V. That's not a problem of Street Fighter's reach, that's a failing to maintain your audience.

And you're right.. it's not the first time this has happened to Street Fighter (whilst Mortal Kombat managed to weather the storm). However, the last time it happened, it was for much of the same reasons (a million versions of Street Fighter 2, not a lot for a solo player to do, doubling down on the competitive playerbase, Dreamcast exclusive SF3, etc). It's actually quite amazing that once they had their audience back, they proceeded to follow the pattern that torpedoed the IP the first time around. Except worse.

And I wasn't talking about it appearing on the 360. I meant the Xbox One, where plenty of people I know that were into SFIV simply don't have SFV as an option without buying an additional console or PC. It's hardly the biggest factor, but it adds up when everything else is considered. People act like it's nothing... but it's hardly as though MKX sold next to nothing on XB1.
I don’t think it mattered that much it not being on X1 if the game was more well received critically. Now those 300K sales would be mighty appealing. But MS doesn’t want to play nice with PC/Consoles playing together, at least not at the time of this deal, so it’s their fault.

I think SFV will be fine over time. Think it will hit 3 million over the next 2 years and then go free to play.

Pompadour

SF3's biggest issue was that arcade owners had to essentially buy a whole new board just for SF3 and they were asked to do this when arcades began to decline. I remember New Generation charging $1 a play at my local arcade back in the 90's which was ridiculous. And the advanced hardware that the game required was likely why it was DreamCast exclusive and not on PS1 like the Alpha games.

I think multiple versions of Street Fighter has a negative impact on future casual sales, definitely. Capcom seems to believe this as well considering how much they pushed the message that it's the only disc of SFV you'll have to buy. SFV likely would have sold better if the last SF we saw prior was vanilla SF4. Not that I'd give up SSF4, AE, or USF4 just so the market wouldn't feel oversaturated.

yurinka

I agree. We're in an era of free-to-play competitive-only games and it feels like fighting games have yet to get on board.

I would try SFV but I know I'd be getting my ass kicked for the first hundred games, and paying $60 for the experience would be discouraging. Being able to practice for free and then pay for my favourite characters and cosmetics would be much easier to stomach.

And think of the player bases these games could have by going f2p.
PvP F2P are only profitable for a few companies in PC and mobile. And these players are busy with these games and won't quit time consuming LoL or Clash of Clans to play another similar game, as they didn't quit from playing WoW to play other MMORPGs.

And well, F2P they require a huge userbase that isn't available in consoles because only a tiny amount of players spend something on them.

It's like to say GTA and Assassin's Creed made a lot of money, we need to spend $300M to make an open world Street Fighter. Who cares if wer don't know how to make open world games!

In addition to that, Street Fighter V doesn't have enough DLC content to go F2P. In any case, after 5-7 years once they have a lot of purchasable stuff they would be able to make a core version of the game to be free.

Synth

I don’t think it mattered that much it not being on X1 if the game was more well received critically. Now those 300K sales would be mighty appealing. But MS doesn’t want to play nice with PC/Consoles playing together, at least not at the time of this deal, so it’s their fault.

I think SFV will be fine over time. Think it will hit 3 million over the next 2 years and then go free to play.

Yea, as I saying, it's just an additional factor (and not close to the most important one). If SFV were selling like the PS4 version of Mortal Kombat X due to amazing reviews, then it'd be considered fine most likely... but then, the more it sells in that case, the larger the potential XB1 sales also would've been.

As for the crossplatform stuff. That's their prerogative (both Capcom and MS), but at this point I'm questioning how valuable that actually is. The game's sold only like 150k on Steam so far, and it's not even as though it's been holding its playerbase well either. The combined Street Fighter V community is currently smaller than the individual communities of Street Fighter IV, the game is hardly blowing Twitch up, it has no arcade version, etc... I don't think this crossplatform stuff has been worth the assumed tradeoffs, and means precisely nothing to basically everyone in the expanded audience that's not currently buying the game anyway.

It's not even like the crossplatform stuff even works very well. I bought the game on PC, and my friend bought the game on PS4. We basically never play together, because unless we both happen to be playing at the same time, we have zero visibility of each other. I had to contact him on WhatsApp to find out his CFN ID initially, because I can't find him by his PSN whilst I'm playing via Steam and vice-versa. I don't even know if other people I have on PSN have SFV unless I go check via my PS4, and then start sending speculative invitations to find each other. Hell, if I move to the PS4 version instead, I don't even get to take my current CFN ID with me. It really doesn't feel like one big happy Street Fighter family, and so I found it strange that a port to other platforms would hinge on their inclusion.

SF3's biggest issue was that arcade owners had to essentially buy a whole new board just for SF3 and they were asked to do this when arcades began to decline. I remember New Generation charging $1 a play at my local arcade back in the 90's which was ridiculous. And the advanced hardware that the game required was likely why it was DreamCast exclusive and not on PS1 like the Alpha games.

I think multiple versions of Street Fighter has a negative impact on future casual sales, definitely. Capcom seems to believe this as well considering how much they pushed the message that it's the only disc of SFV you'll have to buy. SFV likely would have sold better if the last SF we saw prior was vanilla SF4. Not that I'd give up SSF4, AE, or USF4 just so the market wouldn't feel oversaturated.

Yea, the arcades were pretty much rumbled at that point. But it's not that big a factor imo, because the audience that Capcom was losing at this point weren't in the arcades anyway (hence their decline). Later Mortal Kombat games were prohibitively expensive as well with MK4, and then simply ceased having arcade versions at all. It didn't really matter though, because the only people that were frequenting the arcades at this point were the niche pool of devoted players.. and they would typically be just as likely to appear at local gatherings for their chosen games as well.

Also, I don't think you should have had to give up SSF4 etc.. but they shouldn't have been a separate release of the game drawing a line in the sand between it and anyone playing the previous version. If they wanted to iterate, they really should have created the Killer Instinct / Dead or Alive update model prior to those games doing it.

SkylineRKR

SFV should have been cheaper. Even with the added features over time its still a very barren fighting game compared to MK or DoA. I loaded it up yesterday for the first time in weeks, and the challenge mode is a joke. The combos are useful, but you'll be done with them in no time. There is still hardly a game there.

The game is good for enthusiasts who play nothing but ranked online, but those are a minority. SFIV as a product was more casual friendly and managed to reel in those consumers. Ofcourse it also reviewed much better, which had to do with the package as well.

I'm starting to think Exclusivity is what's hurting sales of these games unless you are guaranteed to sell gangbusters (uncharted 4....of course it hasn't yet, but we all know it will) or a independent developer that doesn't need to sell gangbusters.

I would hate for SFV to F2P....but mostly cause I hate that model. (tho I will admit, it does work for Mobas, but for different reason.)

and the person suggesting charging a dollar to play online at a time!?! WTF....NO

Endo Punk

SFV should have been cheaper. Even with the added features over time its still a very barren fighting game compared to MK or DoA. I loaded it up yesterday for the first time in weeks, and the challenge mode is a joke. The combos are useful, but you'll be done with them in no time. There is still hardly a game there.

The game is good for enthusiasts who play nothing but ranked online, but those are a minority. SFIV as a product was more casual friendly and managed to reel in those consumers. Ofcourse it also reviewed much better, which had to do with the package as well.

If you don't invest so much into the numbers game and just enjoy playing SFV has incredible layers that you will be discovering for weeks and months. Just play online, casual rather and just train with a character. I'm a casual fighting fan, haven't bought a fighter since MK11 and I say casual gamers need to stop whining about losses and simply play the game. Jeez can you imagine fans whining about Souls game and claiming the game has nothing for you if you're not a core fan.

I've already put 7 hours into SF and that's just playing majority with Bison and Rashid.

StereoVsn

If you don't invest so much into the numbers game and just enjoy playing SFV has incredible layers that you will be discovering for weeks and months. Just play online, casual rather and just train with a character. I'm a casual fighting fan, haven't bought a fighter since MK11 and I say casual gamers need to stop whining about losses and simply play the game. Jeez can you imagine fans whining about Souls game and claiming the game has nothing for you if you're not a core fan.
This is a terrible post.

1. SFV is absolutely lacking in content for $60 game.
2. MK9-10 on the other hand are full of content.
3. Souls game are quite feature and content full however they actually offer the least probably to experts as they can beat he game fairly quickly. He game is also absolutely upfront about gameplay modes, difficulty and functionality.

Top Bottom