• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMBCIT - Rookie
;)
- Southern California (PST)

- Nash/Necalli atm previously played Dictator, Claw, messed around with 90% of the cast. Only really play locally/casuals with people that I know. The struggle of having a career.

qcf x2

Too many Rashid(s) on the lower end of tier lists. What do y'all think he needs to be better?

Personally, I think he just needs to deal a bit more damage, but I think his air eagle kicks and air v-skill need a bit more work too.

People need to use him. He plays very differently from the other characters, so switching between him and anybody else is going to be tougher than switching between any other 2 characters in the game. I think he's fine as is, it's just a bit sad that people aren't gravitating toward the character. With that said, as somebody who plays a ton of characters I haven't put too much time into Rashid because it would throw off my game and/or I'd have to drop 2 characters to really learn him.

Laura and Gief are very underrated right now. Sim is very good but a little overrated right now. Mika is a tad overrated and I don't know how she's going to deal with Guile.

Baleoce

I think I may have just made a French R.Mika player throw their stick xD First time I've genuinely felt like I've downloaded someone after starting off clueless.

ElFly

People need to use him. He plays very differently from the other characters, so switching between him and anybody else is going to be tougher than switching between any other 2 characters in the game. I think he's fine as is, it's just a bit sad that people aren't gravitating toward the character. With that said, as somebody who plays a ton of characters I haven't put too much time into Rashid because it would throw off my game and/or I'd have to drop 2 characters to really learn him.

Laura and Gief are very underrated right now. Sim is very good but a little overrated right now. Mika is a tad overrated and I don't know how she's going to deal with Guile.

My initial assessment is that Mika will get rekt against Guile.

I-hate-u

I just see Rashid needing to open up the oponnents so many times to get the win.

Guile will wreck so many character, it's not even funny.

Onemic

The main thing is that SFV is only 2 months old so tier lists at this point in time dont mean shit.

The main thing is that SFV is only 2 months old so tier lists at this point in time dont mean shit.

Tier lists are a reflection of people's understanding of the game, not a full analysis of character interactions. They change.

Also, people still putting Chun above Ryu are maniacs.

Zerojul

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201471552]He picks whoever has the biggest boobs, not who has the best playstyle for him. That's not a joke.[/QUOTE]

Sould have picked Birdie this time then.

Onemic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201472374]Tier lists are a reflection of people's understanding of the game, not a full analysis of character interactions. They change.

Also, people still putting Chun above Ryu are maniacs.[/QUOTE]

I know that, but people are already using tier lists created now to state that x character is objectively shit/amazing and needs to be buffed/nerfed which is extremely premature. In general I'd say an overwhelming majority of people see tier lists as a full analysis of character interactions even though they're not.

mbpm1

I'm a rubbish Ken, how do I play against a Vega?
Alternate between extreme defensiveness and bouts of relentless attack when you get a good read. But mostly stay defensive and don't hit too many buttons.

Mix between tatsu and normal jump ins when you jump. Counterpoke his limbs with buttons and the occasional lk tatsu and abuse him on wakeup.

Producer

Too many Rashid(s) on the lower end of tier lists. What do y'all think he needs to be better?

Personally, I think he just needs to deal a bit more damage, but I think his air eagle kicks and air v-skill need a bit more work too.

Maybe he just needs to be explored more. ShadyK said people are sleeping on him, he'll probably uncover some crazy tech/mixups with him.

ElFly

Man, Guile is a giant.

He looks super big compared to Ryu; not as big as say, Zangief, but it is even weirder cause Guile lacks the abnormal anatomy of gief.

LegendX48

From the little time I spent messing around with him, his damage output is garbage so that could use a buff. Dunno what else would be good for him

Alternate between extreme defensiveness and bouts of relentless attack when you get a good read. But mostly stay defensive and don't hit too many buttons.

Mix between tatsu and normal jump ins when you jump. Counterpoke his limbs with buttons and the occasional lk tatsu and abuse him on wakeup.

I can't get a jump in really, standing roundhouse just destroys me.

which pokes are good, medium strong and forward get fugging stuffed

cHaotix8

I think the balance in this game is pretty good overall. Chun, Cammy, Ryu, Vega and Nash clearly stand out as very strong compared to the rest of the cast, but every character is capable of winning. Capcom has done a good job so far, hopefully they don't pull an AE Yun & Yang with any of the remaining new characters.

FluxWaveZ

Oh geez, just lost 191 LP against a Silver Laura for a single loss. Definitely need more MU experience against her, but man is it hard to play Ranked when I need to be hyper focused in every single match or else something like that is bound to happen.

I think the balance in this game is pretty good overall. Chun, Cammy, Ryu, Vega and Nash clearly stand out as very strong compared to the rest of the cast, but every character is capable of winning. Capcom has done a good job so far, hopefully they don't pull an AE Yun & Yang with any of the remaining new characters.

Vega is in the bottom half of the cast friend. No get off me move, shitty anti-air, and pretty bad normals despite being a character who's supposed to be designed around them. All Vega has going for him is a 3 frame standing short.

I think just a damage buff would be fine for me.

Oh geez, just lost 191 LP against a Silver Laura for a single loss. Definitely need more MU experience against her, but man is it hard to play Ranked when I need to be hyper focused in every single match or else something like that is bound to happen.

Jump in attack > Command grab

Neutral Jump attack > Neutral jump attack > Command grab

Bolt hit > Command grab

Lol Vega? He's not anywhere near the others you mentioned, all he has is his walk speed and long range pokes, he sucks at everything else.

LakeEarth

I just see Rashid needing to open up the oponnents so many times to get the win.

Guile will wreck so many character, it's not even funny.

The one thing I've done with Rashid is to stop doing c.mk xx light eagle spike. It does more damage yes, but it resets the neutral. Doing spinning mixer does less damage but it ends with Rashid right next to your knocked down opponent. You need to keep that pressure going.

Vega is in the bottom half of the cast friend. No get off me move, shitty anti-air, and pretty bad normals despite being a character who's supposed to be designed around them. All Vega has going for him is a 3 frame standing short.

I agree with Vega not being top tier, but let's not lie here. His sMP and V-Trigger are extremely powerful.

cHaotix8

Idunno man, I definitely think he's one of the most slept on characters. His anti air options are fine once you understand which one works for a given situation. LP roll, st HK, Cr HP without claw work well from the front, st lp to beat neutral jumps, and cr HK slide to prevent crossups and escape the corner. He walks so fast that no one should ever be at an ideal jumping position against him.

I will agree that his get off me pressure is weak but it’s to make up for how strong he is in every other aspect. He walks faster backwards than most characters walk forward. This makes it difficult for people to even get in range to land attacks. That quick walkspeed also helps with walking out of blockstrings since 1) most characters can’t confirm safely off a low and 2) most characters don’t get a setup off of normal throw. After blocking two ticks, you’re free for the most part since nothing that will reach him at that point is fast enough to stuff his 3 frame short.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on his normals being bad, lol. He has some of the farthest reaching pokes with low recovery and quick startup.

I-hate-u

Rashid def. needs a small damage buff.

The one thing I've done with Rashid is to stop doing c.mk xx light eagle spike. It does more damage yes, but it resets the neutral. Doing spinning mixer does less damage but it ends with Rashid right next to your knocked down opponent. You need to keep that pressure going.

But his mixup ability against someone with really solid defense and without V-trigger can be pretty ineffective for me. Which is why I go for the damage when I can, and then play the mid-range fireball game for chip.

LakeEarth

Rashid def. needs a small damage buff.

But his mixup ability against someone with really solid defense and without V-trigger can be pretty ineffective for me. Which is why I go for the damage when I can, and then play the mid-range fireball game for chip.

It's a fair point. On wakeup I tend to pressure with s.mp, then do a shimmy, but sometimes the only option is throw... which has the exact same problem as eagle spike, both forward and back throw sends them flying across the screen resets the neutral.

Sigmaah

I assume 1 set was it? GGs. Still pretty confused as to how to deal with Vega's claw in the neutral game; I guess I should be using EX Peach more often.

My bad bro I had to dip real quick I thought u were in the discord chat. I can play more in a bit if you're down.

Idunno man, I definitely think he's one of the most slept on characters. His anti air options are fine once you understand which one works for a given situation. LP roll, st HK, Cr HP without claw work well from the front, st lp to beat neutral jumps, and cr HK slide to prevent crossups and escape the corner. He walks so fast that no one should ever be at an ideal jumping position against him.

I will agree that his get off me pressure is weak but it’s to make up for how strong he is in every other aspect. He walks faster backwards than most characters walk forward. This makes it difficult for people to even get in range to land attacks. That quick walkspeed also helps with walking out of blockstrings since 1) most characters can’t confirm safely off a low and 2) most characters don’t get a setup off of normal throw. After blocking two ticks, you’re free for the most part since nothing that will reach him at that point is fast enough to stuff his 3 frame short.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on his normals being bad, lol. He has some of the farthest reaching pokes with low recovery and quick startup.

From what I've seen the majority of Vega's anti-air buttons have a tendency to get stuffed so you're almost always better off attempting to get out of the way or going for an air throw. Then most of Vega's normals are weak in regards to hitboxes (his claw stance normals have far worse range than the model suggests), recovery and confirmability next to the other characters with strong pokes. However I'm not going to get into lengthy theorycraft debate when I haven't played a character for over a month. I think you just have to look at how he's currently doing in the competitive scene to see where he's ranked right now. You can claim he's just being slept on, but I don't think he's complex enough of a character for that to be the case.

Though I can't see how you can argue Vega's ranked above Necali who has reversals, command grabs, a 3 frame jab, easy safe confirms, an easy to confirm v-trigger to critical, decent buttons, great anti-air, great damage, a useful v-skill, one of the strongest v-triggers in the game, stupid damage off of crush counters and pressure that leads to a great stun game. To be honest I don't think Vega clearly beats Necali in any area whilst Necali's much better than him in multiple ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom