• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

There's definitely a Tekken character I think.

The middle one could easily be Jack-7. Heihachi, Jin or Kazuya could also be one of them, but harder to pin down.

I really don't expect anyone to agree with me or see things my way, I'm simply saying what I personally feel. This is a big deal breaker for me but if this pleases anyone greatly, then I'm super happy for you, but I can tell already that I'm just not going to enjoy this Season. These characters might be amazing, but I can't say that now. Probably going to be taking a big break from SF threads for a while.

Once again, I'm sorry if I disagree with people about this, but I can't change how I feel about it.

I agree with you. These 5 new characters could be amazing, but Street Fighter gets a lot of fuel from nostalgia. Introducing 5 new characters out of 6 in season 2 gets rid of a lot of that nostalgic feeling. It even cuts into the fun of guessing who the characters are.

Like I said in the Akuma thread, I think Capcom lost a good number of season pass sales with this news of 5 brand new characters. I also feel Capcom (or whoever made this decision) is a bit out of touch with the fan base. Even if half the season 2 characters were new, that's be more than enough to provide fan service and bring in new characters/mechanics.

I really don't expect anyone to agree with me or see things my way, I'm simply saying what I personally feel. This is a big deal breaker for me but if this pleases anyone greatly, then I'm super happy for you, but I can tell already that I'm just not going to enjoy this Season. These characters might be amazing, but I can't say that now. Probably going to be taking a big break from SF threads for a while.

Once again, I'm sorry if I disagree with people about this, but I can't change how I feel about it.

Kinda weird thing to say while having a sean avatar.

Soulstar

I'm actually really excited about the all new characters but my favorite street fighter is Third Strike and the majority of the characters in that series were new.

5 new new characters? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

Of course the potential for them to be great characters is there, but I think that's a bit much for a season pass. They could of at least gone 50/50. Not really feeling this decision right now, and I don't think most fans will be hyped to buy a season pass with 5 complete unknowns.

They should of at least revealed one of them to give us an idea.

Well, we don't know if they're even brand new characters. I can see them adding five guest characters to try and get some more casual exposure.

Casual players didn't buy Street Fighter because there wasn't enough brand new characters. I'm expecting a bunch of crossover characters if this brand new character thing isn't a mistranslation.
The exact words that the translator said on the announcement was "characters new to the street fighter universe". That kinda implies a Rashid/Laura situation with characters that simply didn't exist before.

Though granted characters from other games are also a possibility.

Skab

The exact words that the translator said on the announcement was "characters new to the street fighter universe". That kinda implies a Rashid/Laura situation with characters that simply didn't exist before.

Or characters from other games maybe?

Batsu for SF5.

https://twitter.com/lupinko/status/805260775291953152

He could be talking about Marvel vs. Capcom or Street Fighter V with this Tweet. The fourth silhouette does resemble Akira a bit.

He also tweeted something about Edi from Final Fight. And that middle silhouette does look like its wearing a cop hat.....

Well, we don't know if they're even brand new characters. I can see them adding five guest characters to try and get some more casual exposure.

Casual players didn't buy Street Fighter because there weren't enough brand new characters. I'm expecting a bunch of crossover characters if this brand new character thing isn't a mistranslation.

I think I'd honestly prefer 5 entirely brand new characters to any crossover characters. Crossover characters always feel like they're cheapening the whole experience, unless they're from related properties like Final Fight.

Gurnlei

I think no returning characters and 2/5 'new' characters being a doll/Ed would be worst case scenario for me. Hope it doesn't happen.

Pompadour

So what are we expecting aside from a Final Fight and RS character? A Tekken character? KOF? One or two brand new characters?

I hope someone interviews Ono and we get clarification.

Edit: I also feel it's weird that they are using Street Fighter to use Capcom franchise promotion when they just announced a new MvC.

sinkfla87

Casual players didn't buy Street Fighter because there weren't enough brand new characters. I'm expecting a bunch of crossover characters if this brand new character thing isn't a mistranslation.

From a business perspective this would be the most lucrative move. While I love MKX, I really hope we don't get some off the wall but popular outside of SF characters. Rival schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers and even Tekken characters would be cool and okay with me. You know what? Fuck it, bring me Hayato lol. Or... Jin! Since I fear neither will make the cut in MvC.

kirblar

If you haven't been playable in a mainline SF game, you are fair game for spec. That's the only thing we 100% know is a DQ.

fresquito

If these are brand new characters I'm okay with that. If these are characters coming from other sagas, then I'm not that excited about that kind of fan service.

Pompadour

If you haven't been playable in a mainline SF game, you are fair game for spec. That's the only thing we 100% know is a DQ.

Well, we don't know if Street Fighter EX is included in the "Street Fighter universe" or not.

Ugh, I kind of hope there's extra characters this season that aren't included in the 2017 Character Pass for some reason. At this rate it's going to take until 2025 to get the characters I want.

I wasn't that excited for characters from other games.

Then I realized this might mean a character from Slam Masters showing up.

1252603-smscorpion.png

He is the silver lining of this announcement.

Yeah, I was gonna buy the season pass as soon as it went up, cause I just knew Sagat was a lock...after my saltymcnulty.gif moment, I'll just vote with my wallet.

So what are we expecting aside from a Final Fight and RS character? A Tekken character? KOF? One or two brand new characters?

I hope someone interviews Ono and we get clarification.

Edit: I also feel it's weird that they are using Street Fighter to use Capcom franchise promotion when they just announced a new MvC.

What makes you so sure that they're going to use this to promote other Capcom franchises?

tragic

Developer
I wonder what the odds are of them throwing this announcement out to see if fans want new chars... and then if the response is bad, Ono pops out and goes "JUST KIDDING, HERE IS SAGAT!".

I wonder what the odds are of them throwing this announcement out to see if fans want new chars... and then if the response is bad, Ono pops out and goes "JUST KIDDING, HERE IS SAGAT!".
Literally 0%

Character development doesn't just work like that, though the response might shape what characters they go for in future seasons/updates.

Pompadour

What makes you so sure that they're going to use this to promote other Capcom franchises?

I'm not. I'm leaning more that we're getting guest characters like nearly every other fighting game is doing nowadays. But many people in this thread are trying to imply this could include other Capcom franchises.

Gren

Huh, never considered that they could "technically" pull from RS & Slam Masters. That would probably be the best compromise in introducing "new" characters, not necessarily for SF fans, but for fans of Capcom fighting games in general (of which there is a lot of bleed over).

tragic

Developer
Literally 0%

Character development doesn't just work like that, though the response might shape what characters they go for in future seasons/updates.

I am a developer myself, I understand how it works. That was more of a joke based on how Ono likes to not always be honest with the truth. =)

Totakeke

Problem isn't really new characters, it's just that their track record from sf4 and sf5 hasn't been great. People will disagree with me of course.

I looooooooove that we're getting all newcomers. I'm not super duper crazy about any of SFV's newbies (well, I like them a lot design-wise but not as much on the personality side) so hopefully I can find a new favourite amidst these five!

#4 looks to be Oro. 5 is definitely Sagat.

I think #2 is Rolento.

Rest are a toss up for me.
They've already announced that the 5 characters are completely new to the Street FIghter universe so if they've been playable in a SF game before, they're not making it in this season.

I am a developer myself, I understand how it works. That was more of a joke based on how Ono likes to not always be honest with the truth. =)
Ahh ok. I've just gotten so used to people saying some weird ass things when it comes to this game lol.

Wallach

I'm all for some new characters. We have plenty of returning characters already, and the first one of S2 is a returning character.

tragic

Developer
They've already announced that the 5 characters are completely new to the Street FIghter universe so if they've been playable in a SF game before, they're not making it in this season.

Ahh ok. I've just gotten so used to people saying some weird ass things when it comes to this game lol.

It's all good. I just like poking fun at how some of the SF announcements have gone down over the last 7 or 8 years.

As long as we get fun characters and the game stays healthy, all of our favs will most-likely return anyway (if they aren't already here). Look forward to seeing what we get!

Why even hide the characters behind silhouettes if they're brand new...

They probably aren't finalized yet. Especially the ones they plan to release last. Also when they are revealed it will cause people to look at the game again and remind them of it so its better they not show them all for advertising reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom