• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

All this talk about survival reminds me how much I hate. If it loaded faster, I'd be okay because I feel like most of time until the end is looking at the black screen between fights. I feel dumb wasting an hour on cpu to lose at the end.

Kashiwaba

All this talk about survival reminds me how much I hate. If it loaded faster, I'd be okay because I feel like most of time until the end is looking at the black screen between fights. I feel dumb wasting an hour on cpu to lose at the end.
Exactly last time i actually timed it and found out that between every fight there is a 23~25 seconds wasted.

jett

D-Member
Is ANYTHING else other than Akuma and a balance patch coming on the 20th? Is it foolish to expect the alleged Arcade mode people say they've found in the PC version?

Pompadour

Is ANYTHING else other than Akuma and a balance patch coming on the 20th? Is it foolish to expect the alleged Arcade mode people say they've found in the PC version?

Akuma, balance patch, Akuma stage, three Akuma alternate costumes, 7 (?) Christmas outfits, and the Christmas variation for the NYC stage.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny that the stage change after 5 rounds or whatever actually loads pretty fast and without a loading/character screen. Like, that's how long loading actually takes, the rest is just cosmetic.

myco666

Well, the reason why it's both very difficult and absurdly long is because a ton of FM is gated behind that mode. So much FM, in fact, I'm sure 99.9% of the playerbase was never meant to unlock it yet they shoved so much there that *theoretically* you could buy every DLC character ever released with FM by clearing Survival with all characters on all difficulties. The business model Capcom has chosen for SFV sounds pretty great if all you knew about it was that there's enough FM to be earned just in single player to unlock everything character, Stage, and story costume for Season 1.

The Survival mode isn't hard like, say, a particularly tough Dark Souls boss is hard where you just have to learn how to beat it through trial and error. Even employing AI cheesing tactics it's essentially random if the game is going to allow you to win or not. The only real deterrent is that the player is investing an hour of their time to roll the dice.

So I don't see Survival becoming much shorter without the FM being drastically reduced.

Take a look at Super Street Fighter IV trophy list. There is a trophy for beating Gouken on hardest difficulty setting. Getting that fight requires you to go through the Arcade mode without continues and with some Ultra Combo finish stuff. Only 0.5% who owns the game have received that trophy. Sure 0.5% > 0.1% but it is still very small percentage. 1 CC runs are really hard for most people and that has even guaranteed health recover between rounds where as with Survival you get what you get in terms of health. Could be small health boost or could be full health boost but you never know.

The amount of time required to finish Survival is basically just a middle finger and meant to frustrate you to no end. There is no actual good reason to have so many stages. It is just a waste of time.

Pompadour

Take a look at Super Street Fighter IV trophy list. There is a trophy for beating Gouken on hardest difficulty setting. Getting that fight requires you to go through the Arcade mode without continues and with some Ultra Combo finish stuff. Only 0.5% who owns the game have received that trophy. Sure 0.5% > 0.1% but it is still very small percentage. 1 CC runs are really hard for most people and that has even guaranteed health recover between rounds where as with Survival you get what you get in terms of health. Could be small health boost or could be full health boost but you never know.

The amount of time required to finish Survival is basically just a middle finger and meant to frustrate you to no end. There is no actual good reason to have so many stages. It is just a waste of time.

Well, the big difference between SFV and SFIV (and this includes SFIV's Survival Mode which was pretty damn hard) is that you could hit Start on a 2nd controller and interrupt your fight if you were losing. I believe I got every trophy in both SFIV and SSFIV aside from "Complete all Trials" ones because of that exploit. SFIV's Survival may have been harder than SFV's even but it was completely doable because you effectively had infinite continues.

Of course, you can sort of do that with Fight Request in V but that isn't reliable.

Exactly last time i actually timed it and found out that between every fight there is a 23~25 seconds wasted.
Wait what? The loading itself completes before the black screen even appears an it should go to the next fight near instantly, 25seconds sounds like network issues

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I would absolutely go back to survival mode if they made it shorter, even if that meant reduced FM payouts. As it stands, it might as well pay 0 and furthermore might as well not be in the game.

Easy level can stay the way it is. Normal would be improved if they just cut the first 10 fights.

Csr

I can't say that ryu's mp srk worked that well in extreme survival, i didn't try to use just that move and it kinda worked for a lot of matches but 27 stage bison kept blocking and eventually punished my srk with a big vtrigger combo after he also jumped over and punished some of my hadokens.

Cathcart

Hey, all. So I'm finally getting into this after buying it at launch. Curious to know if the season pass went on sale during Black Friday. Just trying to decide if it's worth buying now or if I should wait a week.

Neoxon

Hey, all. So I'm finally getting into this after buying it at launch. Curious to know if the season pass went on sale during Black Friday. Just trying to decide if it's worth buying now or if I should wait a week.
The 2016 Character Pass was on sale not too long ago, but I don't think it is anymore.

Easy-10 rounds, Normal-20 rounds, Hard-30, Extreme-40

or

Make each level 10 rounds and just scale the difficulty to each level.

Isn't that arcade mode basically?

I don't like survival mode, but having 30-50 fights isn't the worst thing in the world because that's kinda the point with the mode. I just hate the 100 fight one and the fact that it's the main way of getting fight money.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I don't like survival mode, but having 30-50 fights isn't the worst thing in the world because that's kinda the point with the mode. I just hate the 100 fight one and the fact that it's the main way of getting fight money.

Arcade mode has continues. Survival doesn't. The point of the mode is to challenge the player and also be entertaining. There's no rule that says it has to be extremely time consuming.

JayEH

They need to reset everyone's survival progress next week so there's more ways to get Fm. Either that or Arcade/battle mode need to come.

Edit: we should be getting new trials as well so there's some more FM opportunities.

myco666

Well, the big difference between SFV and SFIV (and this includes SFIV's Survival Mode which was pretty damn hard) is that you could hit Start on a 2nd controller and interrupt your fight if you were losing. I believe I got every trophy in both SFIV and SSFIV aside from "Complete all Trials" ones because of that exploit. SFIV's Survival may have been harder than SFV's even but it was completely doable because you effectively had infinite continues.

Of course, you can sort of do that with Fight Request in V but that isn't reliable.

And since SFV doesn't have that kind of trick they could lower the amount of stages and make them little bit harder than what the final stages are in corresponding difficulties now.

I don't believe Capcom will do something about the Survival mode though.

I can't say that ryu's mp srk worked that well in extreme survival, i didn't try to use just that move and it kinda worked for a lot of matches but 27 stage bison kept blocking and eventually punished my srk with a big vtrigger combo after he also jumped over and punished some of my hadokens.

Yeah for some reason Kens m.Shoryuken works the best. Better tactic imo is to just do constant crossups with a easy confirm to knockdown.

I think point of any mode is to be actually enjoyable. The current modes aren't enjoyable. And fighting same opponents multiple times isn't fun because they aren't different. Or they are but just that they actually do something on later stages instead of just sit there and eat every single hit.

FluxWaveZ

They need to reset everyone's survival progress next week so there's more ways to get Fm. Either that or Arcade/battle mode need to come.

Edit: we should be getting new trials as well so there's some more FM opportunities.

I definitely do not think we'll be getting all new trials for the already released characters.

Cathcart

The 2016 Character Pass was on sale not too long ago, but I don't think it is anymore.

OK, thanks. That was probably the Black Friday sale. Which means there's a decent chance it will be on a Christmas sale later this month. Guess I'll wait and see. If not I guess I'll just pick it up for normal price in January.

Neoxon

OK, thanks. That was probably the Black Friday sale. Which means there's a decent chance it will be on a Christmas sale later this month. Guess I'll wait and see. If not I guess I'll just pick it up for normal price in January.
Don't forget the 2017 Character Pass, which is basically the same as the 2016 one except for the Season 2 characters.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know with two season passes out they should probably do a huge sale on the base version, but this whole FM thing kinda screws that up!? Like they can't sell it for 5 bucks in the hope people will spend big on the passes if you can easily earn FM worth 30.

meerak

I don't think it's foolish, but if I'm Capcom I may stagger some of this stuff out. If Akuma & Santa Hats & balances come out in December, you're probably OK to the Arcade Mode in January. That said, I would love for December to a be a blowout with nostalgia costumes, arcade, new UI, who knows what!

I don't see why not. The current trials could have combos that don't even work anymore which defeat it's purpose.

Wow! I did not even think of this but that is really a very astute observation. I'm very curious about this now. I didn't expect new trials, but wonder if they will need to update some? Interesting thought!

Use ken so you can just mash it without super coming out, don't do anything that isn't srk, so no hadoukens, if you knock them down rush them to the corner.
Bison will always activate vtrigger when he has it, let him waste the meter like an idiot on block then resume srk.

Some chars will punish more than others (laura/sim), just cross these fucks up. Always choose attack up unless you have less than half health, always check if defense up isn't the better option instead of health up, defense up 2 is obv better than health low.

Cathcart

Don't forget the 2017 Character Pass, which is basically the same as the 2016 one except for the Season 2 characters.

Yeah, I was looking at that, too. I've got about 225k fight money and I think between remaining survival modes and story stuff I should be able to get another 200k. My strategy is to just buy the first four or 5 fighters of 2017 with fight money. Worst case is I end up buying 2 of them with real money but at 6 dollars each that's probably better than the 2017 character pass sale price. Plus, I've probably got several months to figure that one out.

Do the individual characters ever go on sale or just the passes?

Pompadour

Yeah, I was looking at that, too. I've got about 225k fight money and I think between remaining survival modes and story stuff I should be able to get another 200k. My strategy is to just buy the first four or 5 fighters of 2017 with fight money. Worst case is I end up buying 2 of them with real money but at 6 dollars each that's probably better than the 2017 character pass sale price. Plus, I've probably got several months to figure that one out.

Do the individual characters ever go on sale or just the passes?

Individual characters haven't gone on sale yet.

6696LP and I'm getting matched with players Ranked in Silver.

Ranked match making is just terrible in general. Miss matches all the time with regards to what bracket your in. Im just sticking to casual till the implement a better ranked system (which they may never do) as i just dont like the current ranking system at all. Played casual for over an hour yesterday and was getting back in fights in less than a minute most times. I wonder if more people play casual than ranked now?

Onemic

The matchmaking for casual is pretty good too. I rarely played someone under or above my rank and if I did it was within 1 rank at the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom