• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, no game has made me this angry in a while. I think I might need a break.

I'm catching myself yelling at the TV after a loss, or after getting matched up with people with double my BP several times in a row and getting my ass whooped.

I'm perpetually stuck between 800-1200 BP. I can be competitive in that range, dominate anyone below it and (usually) get destroyed by anyone above it. But its been a good month and while I learn new combos and stuff I don't think I'm really getting better at the game.

I get destroyed by aggressive players who can just hit me over and over with combos in very quick succession. I try to block them, but often can't find an opening and eventually get thrown or caught blocking up when I should be blocking down. Then I'll try to get a little more aggressive in finding that gap where I can safely counterattack and I get punished hard.

The last string was last night against a Mika who kept doing the same effing 2 combo strings over, and over, and over again. She'd get me in the corner and I was dead and felt like I just couldn't do anything. I caught myself yelling at my TV and cursing at some faceless human being on the other end of my connection. I immediately realized how pathetic that was. I think I need help.

When you win or even lose a close match this game feels so good. But its so frustrating to just get dominated and feel like you don't even have a shot.

How do I get better? Just keep playing and doing training mode? What is the best thing to practice to avoid getting combo-looped to death?

Whales

Banned

I'm catching myself yelling at the TV after a loss, or after getting matched up with people with double my BP several times in a row and getting my ass whooped.

I'm perpetually stuck between 800-1200 BP. I can be competitive in that range, dominate anyone below it and (usually) get destroyed by anyone above it. But its been a good month and while I learn new combos and stuff I don't think I'm really getting better at the game.

I get destroyed by aggressive players who can just hit me over and over with combos in very quick succession. I try to block them, but often can't find an opening and eventually get thrown or caught blocking up when I should be blocking down. Then I'll try to get a little more aggressive in finding that gap where I can safely counterattack and I get punished hard.

The last string was last night against a Mika who kept doing the same effing 2 combo strings over, and over, and over again. She'd get me in the corner and I was dead and felt like I just couldn't do anything. I caught myself yelling at my TV and cursing at some faceless human being on the other end of my connection. I immediately realized how pathetic that was. I think I need help.

When you win or even lose a close match this game feels so good. But its so frustrating to just get dominated and feel like you don't even have a shot.

How do I get better? Just keep playing and doing training mode? What is the best thing to practice to avoid getting combo-looped to death?

its time for you to learn frame data my dude

knowing what move leaves your opponent at a disadvantage will help you greatly, since that's exactly what you're complaining about

Yeah, remind yourself that in the end, it's just a game.
People doing things over and over means you simply don't understand what's happening, and that's fine, nobody knows everything right away.
Go into training mode and record the dummy doing the combo, now practice your options against it.
You can read framedata for a quick fix, but often I find it better to actually practice the scenario that I don't understand.

FluxWaveZ

That's a problem, because Mika has to be one of the characters with the least amount of "plus on block" buttons in the entire game, which means she's negative after you practically block anything that isn't a jab, a drop kick or Lady Mika.

Like the above states, you either need to learn frame data and/or go into Training mode and use the replay feature for these scenarios.

What character do you play?

Space yourself out, too. I feel like a lotta new people, or people low ranked (like me!) tend to always stay up close. Don't back yourself into a corner, but make sure to look at your movement options per character. Some characters do better midrange than others.

Also, look for your 3f normals. You can usually interrupt someone and sometimes get off some quick damage. I like to throw out Bison's LK into scissor kicks because people will throw out any old button and don't care about how slow it is.

If you are getting hit by the same attacks, go into training mode and try to replicate it. Or if you want, show us your replay and we can tell you how to stop it.

Above all, and I said this before, focus on having fun and growing rather than straight victory. You'll learn more, get better faster, and if you are enjoying your game, you are less likely to go on tilt. Easier said than done in fighting games though.

its time for you to learn frame data my dude

knowing what move leaves your opponent at a disadvantage will help you greatly, since that's exactly what you're complaining about

Yeah I mean I understand it conceptually, and I'm much better against characters I've played a lot before since I have a sense of when its safe to counter or punish. I don't usually get completely slammed by a Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Guile, Gief or Balrog without at least getting some hits in. Maybe I just need to practice more against some of the newer characters that give me the most trouble.

Those are Mika, Birdie, Nash and Laura.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting, you don't have any trouble challenging Balrog? To me, that's Crush Counter city. I've had to learn to be so much more respectful, because it's all plus when he's pressing stuff in my face.

Interesting, you don't have any trouble challenging Balrog? To me, that's Crush Counter city. I've had to learn to be so much more respectful, because it's all plus when he's pressing stuff in my face.

I have the most experience with Balrog, and I'm maining him now after experimenting with Guile for a while. So yeah I mean I'll get murdered by a really good player but I'll immediately know where and why I screwed up and what I could have done to counter it.

Thanks for all the other replies. Think I just need to chill, light a candle, put on some soothing music, and get into training mode to practice against some of those characters.

FluxWaveZ

I think Guile beats Birdie at least 7-3. Probably one of the worst matchups in the game.

11 more months until a balance patch, guys.

The only two characters who I think are truly egregious in the game right now are Laura and Urien. I have no idea why they boosted them in the way they did, and so does the vast majority of the playerbase. If it weren't for them (and maybe FANG and Alex?), I'd say they did a good job of normalizing the playing field in terms of balance from Season 1, at least for now.

Like, maybe Guile and Balrog would need minor tweaks or whatever leveling them down, but Urien and Laura are the "stupid of S2."

The only two characters who I think are truly egregious in the game right now are Laura and Urien. I have no idea why they boosted them in the way they did, and so does the vast majority of the playerbase. If it weren't for them (and maybe FANG and Alex?), I'd say they did a good job of normalizing the playing field in terms of balance from Season 1, at least for now.

Like, maybe Guile and Balrog would need minor tweaks or whatever leveling them down, but Urien and Laura are the "stupid of S2."
Nash is so bad. He feels like the one character I actually have an advantage against with Alex. It really is just a handful of characters (Laura, Urien, Alex, Fang and Nash) that still feel like they contribute to the game feeling lopsided and that doesn't include all the Ryu whiners.

FluxWaveZ

Nash is so bad. He feels like the one character I actually have an advantage against with Alex.

I mean... is he really? It might just be like Mika and Nash players from S1 just have to dramatically shift how they were playing the game to make him work now, and the issue is that a lot of them don't want to do that. I don't know, I'll be looking forward to seeing more matches with him moving forward.

I mean... is he really? It might just be like Mika and Nash players from S1 just have to dramatically shift how they were playing the game to make him work now, and the issue is that a lot of them don't want to do that. I don't know, I'll be looking forward to seeing more matches with him moving forward.
Many Mika players have been adjusting since season 1. I've run into some of those weirdos that didn't rely on claps often and still managed to get wins. Besides, once she corners you it's like season 1 Mika never left. Nash is the one whose gameplan seems to have fallen apart, especially if I of all people can shut him down.

Yeah I mean I understand it conceptually...

You and I both. My Birdie got torn to shreds by a Super Silver Urien earlier tonight. I can laugh about it "fierce mixup into fierce", but I've decided when I next get a free day at the weekend I'm going to get my head around frame data and spend some real time in training with a character causing me trouble.

There's V-Skills and even buttons for Birdie I barely even use and I don't know how I get by to be honest.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The more I play Guile now, the more I think they made him really boring to fight against. There is so much more downback now. Not completely sure why.

Managed to apply some of your tips flux. Went pretty well. After getting wrecked my first 4 matches i suddenly started winning. Even played a super silver cammy who beat me match 1 but then i slowed down, thought about what i was doing and won match 2 and 3. Felt good.

However i then played as Guile (my main) for the first time in a week. Damn does he make me realise winning with Mika is hard work. I feel so much more in control of the match as him. I just love mikas v trigger combos so i keep playing her but i will prob not make her my main. I think mika is mostly acceptable but her AA game feels pretty terrible to me. If that was tweaked a little it wouldb be nice.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the other replies. Think I just need to chill, light a candle, put on some soothing music, and get into training mode to practice against some of those characters.

The benefits of training mode can't be stressed enough. Recently I've taken to just practicing a few combos/setups before applying matchmaking settings. Just 5-10 minutes of messing around should be enough to warm you up. Also, always make an effort to try new stuff in various situations. Keep your phone with YouTube handy to reference some simple setups and build on those. Practice them in training mode and start to look out for where you can apply them in matches.

Also, speaking of soothing music, do you use Spotify? If you're on PS4 you can sign in and access your playlists while playing (just need to turn off in-game BGM). I usually stick on some chilled/instrumental hip-hop while fighting. That can really help get me in the zone or calm me down; whatever I need.

Only cowards teabag. If you really wanna put someone on tilt, commit to a taunt instead of performing some limp, graceless facade of a lewd act.

Hear, hear. Despite Nuckledu's skill and everything he went through, I can't force myself to root for the guy because of his stupid trademark. I don't generally take these things too seriously, but in a tournament situation it seems like the utmost disrespect. If you wanna taunt someone, do it properly.

Capcom updated the game in a way so that a big portion of the cast is gonna cause upsets.

Calling it right now.

Counterpicks. People maining high tiers getting caught by mid tier boys. Ridiculous tech to fight Urien, Laura, and Balrog. Damage flying. Blocks? Fuck you. People debating whether to use v-trigger meter on that or a reversal. Downplaying characters until they show up and cream a whole room of people.

This game isn't gonna be safe.

Hear, hear. Despite Nuckledu's skill and everything he went through, I can't force myself to root for the guy because of his stupid trademark. I don't generally take these things too seriously, but in a tournament situation it seems like the utmost disrespect. If you wanna taunt someone, do it properly.
I constantly use Alex's V-skill when I'm fighting characters with slow or no projectiles and I still feel like a douchebag because I have to do it like 10 times just to get a non-meager amount of v-gauge. Taunting and teabagging just isn't my thing. I can tell my opponents don't like it either.

fml

Also, speaking of soothing music, do you use Spotify? If you're on PS4 you can sign in and access your playlists while playing (just need to turn off in-game BGM). I usually stick on some chilled/instrumental hip-hop while fighting. That can really help get me in the zone or calm me down; whatever I need.
Yes for sure - I rediscovered the fact that there is a PS4 Spotify app and now I always put it on for SF. I keep meaning to make a SF playlist.

It's not the greatest - like it would be nice if I could push the game and go browse through my full Spotify library without losing a CFN connection but you can at least do basic stuff like change tracks from the quick menu without putting the game to sleep.

You'd rather have a blog post for a character than a trailer showing them off?

No, I mean I'd rather have a blog post detailing this year's content than a simple DLC character trailer. I'd LIKE a trailer, but right now Capcom needs to be more communicative to the fanbase and start dropping this information.

WSO said something would be coming this week, and "haters will be left behind" guy thinks it'll happen this month as well, so Capcom needs to get to work communicating things.

WTF, Namco reveals a new character for Tekken at the EVO show, and Capcom does nothing for SFV?

HOWtwoROCK53cbc2df0c61d.jpg

These loading times for Injustice 2 are just baffling. On the build they showed on stream and on the online beta that's going on, the loading screens are blazingly fast on the PS4.

Edzi

How fast does the hotel for Evo typically fill up? I want to ask some people if they wanna go and split the costs, so I'll probably hold off on registering/booking hotels for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom